Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zaggitz posted:

To be fair I like long jrpgs. Like the Trails games are my absolute fave series right now, but those games keep you engaged by always having some new insane thing in the story happen and having really likable casts of characters who's journey's you want to see through to their conclusion. It feels like DQ7 is actively throwing a new impediment in your way whenever you think actual progress is being made and the encounter design is terrible because its nearly impossible to dodge past enemies in dungeons so you are just slogging through whatever progress you make.

Plus the characters are super underdeveloped even with party chat and the fact that you get both of the late game characters with little to no job experience is downright inexcusable.

20 hours into Trails, I'm waiting for something insane to happen, or anything to happen. I keep thinking of DQ7 as I play it, how that's a slow game but so much happens in the first 20 hours. You go through many different stories of rain turning people to stone, to a war between people and robots, monsters kidnapping all the women of a town, all the animals and people of a town switching bodies, a volcano erupting, evil religious people sending you to prison town, you experience a tragic love story between Linda and Pepe. In Trails, you just think your father has been kidnapped and then it turns out he hasn't. So no big deal, let's go exploring! That's 20 hours.

The only reason I'm still playing is for the characters. I like their interactions. Maybe if they said more, like how DQ7 has them react to every person in the towns, that would be enough. But now I don't know. Something has to start happening.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i burned out on Trails very early. i should go back to see why its so beloved but it felt like the battles and enemies never got interesting. i played it for a long time and nothing happened too.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

if you're playing on pc, use cheat engine to speed up the battles with speedhack. I'm talking more about the sequels since the first game does a lot of world building, but chapter 2 of the first game is super good overall and the end of chapter 3 onwards is a blast, plotwise.

Also the games are different enough that I don't feel they are worth comparing, I was just stating a long game that I enjoyed over a long one that I stopped enjoying halfway through.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 5, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

trails in the sky is only 30 or 40 hours long, depending on how much sidequesting you do, it's all the other games in the series that are 80 hour monsters. but if you're waiting for an evil empire to invade and burn down the main character's home town to let you know that it's time to start paying attention because the plot has started, you're going to be waiting the entire game. touring the country, meeting nice people, and helping them out with their problems IS the plot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the setting of trails but after like 20 hours I realized I really didn't like the combat. I should check out Cold Steel some day it's been on my vita for ages

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

if you're waiting for an evil empire to invade and burn down the main character's home town to let you know that it's time to start paying attention because the plot has started

that part of suikoden 2 is pretty awesome

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

that part of suikoden 2 is pretty awesome

But didn't that kick off with you being a part of the evil empire?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Crabtree posted:

But didn't that kick off with you being a part of the evil empire?

That's Suikoden 1.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I spent two hours building a brick wall around Rimuldar. Guess what? Enemies break brick just as easily as dirt.

This game really knows how to get on my nerves.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DalaranJ posted:

I spent two hours building a brick wall around Rimuldar. Guess what? Enemies break brick just as easily as dirt.

This game really knows how to get on my nerves.

Each block has a toughness as far as i can tell don't ask me to rank them though. After a certain point I just started building my poo poo above the enemies.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

neongrey posted:

That's Suikoden 1.

And Suikoden 2, because you start as a member of the hitler youth

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
And sort of Suikoden 3.

Now I want SE to make their own game loosely based on Water Margin with their own world where all characters and monsters are designed by akira toriyama. No, you see, the Tenkai star is Gohan while the Tenrou star is clearly Gohan with red hair.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Decus posted:

And sort of Suikoden 3.

Now I want SE to make their own game loosely based on Water Margin with their own world where all characters and monsters are designed by akira toriyama. No, you see, the Tenkai star is Gohan while the Tenrou star is clearly Gohan with red hair.

I want someone to go back in time and unmake the two handheld Suikoden games. Since Maybe Suikoden 6 would have the faintest of hopes of existing one day. Also we wouldn't have had Suikoden Tierkries and all of its awfulness likethevoiceactingthatisnotonlygarbagebutspedupsopeoplelikethemaincharactercomeacrossashyperactivespergsinsteadofjustbadlyvoicedblandcharacters. :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is dqm joker 3 coming to the US? i saw it on the japanese top 10 software list and had no idea it got made

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

is dqm joker 3 coming to the US? i saw it on the japanese top 10 software list and had no idea it got made

it took us years to get the dq7 remake and we never got the dqm1 remake

i wouldn't put money on it

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want someone to go back in time and unmake the two handheld Suikoden games. Since Maybe Suikoden 6 would have the faintest of hopes of existing one day. Also we wouldn't have had Suikoden Tierkries and all of its awfulness likethevoiceactingthatisnotonlygarbagebutspedupsopeoplelikethemaincharactercomeacrossashyperactivespergsinsteadofjustbadlyvoicedblandcharacters. :v:

Moving more off-topic, but if you were to go back in time in order to save Suikoden the better point would be before Yoshitaka Murayama left the series and figuring out what the hell and how the hell to fix it. If his own statements are to be believed he wrote the cliffhanger scenario of 3 with apparently every intention of leaving the company at exactly 10 years. Without, one can only guess, leaving a plot outline with any staff member or urging them to continue. Or worse, leaving them with the feeling that they shouldn't. Either way, everything after was both poorly managed and too afraid to touch anything too close to his story, going back in time 150 years, back in time several years and then nope-ing right out into multiverse spin-offs.

Luckily, I'm not at all afraid of something similar happening with DQ no matter who retires. I doubt they'd do it anything but gracefully with people trained and prepared to fill their shoes and I doubt SE could screw anything up as terribly as konami could and still does.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I mean it's not like any DQ games are setting up some insane narrative. All someone would have to do after Yuji Horii retires is just keep those old school sound effects and keep the gameplay simple and it'll continue to be DQ.

The real question is what will happen after Toriyama retires? :ohdear:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I mean it's not like any DQ games are setting up some insane narrative. All someone would have to do after Yuji Horii retires is just keep those old school sound effects and keep the gameplay simple and it'll continue to be DQ.

They'll get Eichiro Oda.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the monster art will probably take a few steps down, but they will continue to imitate toriyama's style

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tetsuo Hara's a little younger than Toriyama, I'm sure he'd be happy to take over.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I suggest they retire the Toriyama art style and adapt a Jack Kirby art style.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Len posted:

Each block has a toughness as far as i can tell don't ask me to rank them though. After a certain point I just started building my poo poo above the enemies.

Yeah there's really no reason not to build a base that's hanging in the air like an affront to God.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I suggest they retire the Toriyama art style and adapt a Jack Kirby art style.

I like Toriyama but a Kirby style RPG would be pretty much the best thing ever. Maybe a Xeno game could pull it off?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Yeah there's really no reason not to build a base that's hanging in the air like an affront to God.

I tried the wall route with Cantlin, even built a little moat. All that did was make it so the little hammerfucks dug the floor out of my entire goddamned city. Assholes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

precision posted:

How high up is safe? Five blocks maybe? I bet Rubiss can see me flip the bird from there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

I like Toriyama but a Kirby style RPG would be pretty much the best thing ever. Maybe a Xeno game could pull it off?

Literally any artstyle would be an improvement for faces in the next Xenoblade game. Because holy god the faces in the Xenoblade Chronicles X are so bad and thank god you could give people cosmetic helmets quickly in that game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Does Toriyama actually do all the art himself or does his assistants do parts of it, as I understand is common for many older Japanese artists.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DalaranJ posted:

How high up is safe? Five blocks maybe? I bet Rubiss can see me flip the bird from there.

Yeah I think anything that's "second story" is safe from the most annoying monsters. Starting in Chapter 3 that's what I did, just made a massive staircase and then laid the floor down up there.

Probably still want to keep the crafting stations on ground floor so NPCs can get to them easier, if that matters to you.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Does Toriyama actually do all the art himself or does his assistants do parts of it, as I understand is common for many older Japanese artists.
Toriyama has an entire studio to do the art for games and such these days. He used to do it himself way back in the day (like... DQ1-3? Maybe a few later ones), but that hasn't been the case for... what, twenty years or more now? In the best cases he does the rough designs then the assorted assistants finish the rest, but even that tends to be pretty obvious due to his particular style of coloring and shading that Bird Studio usually doesn't quite get right.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Yeah I think anything that's "second story" is safe from the most annoying monsters. Starting in Chapter 3 that's what I did, just made a massive staircase and then laid the floor down up there.

Probably still want to keep the crafting stations on ground floor so NPCs can get to them easier, if that matters to you.

I didn't even do that. You just have to make sure it's easy as hell to get to. Those NPCs are lazy as poo poo and won't climb ladders or vines.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Barricades. Seriously, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself, but apparently monsters just can't destroy them. If you can steal or build Barricades and surround your base with them you're golden.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Real hurthling! posted:

Brother Entropy posted:

it took us years to get the dq7 remake and we never got the dqm1 remake

i wouldn't put money on it

I think the best we can hope for is a fan translation like the DQM1 remake.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I picked up Builders on a whim and I have to admit that I'm surprised at how fun and good it is. I just finished up the boss fight of Chapter 1--does the free build mode include people joining your town? That's what made the building rewarding to me, seeing the townspeople use it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Free build does have random people and monsters join your town. They come and go, but you can favorite which ones you like and they'll stay. Monsters don't do anything in your base though.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Free build does have random people and monsters join your town. They come and go, but you can favorite which ones you like and they'll stay. Monsters don't do anything in your base though.

Except be loving adorable! A Slime finally joined me and I'm so happy watching him squish around my crappy little town.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Finally beat the main boss of DQ7. My playtime was 99:28. I seriously doubt I've ever spent that much time on a single playthrough of one game, but I did a ton of unecessary job and tablet grinding. Now I've got the remaining tablets and bonus dungeons to do before DQ8 comes out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 was announced for Switch today - it's a Japanese launch title (March 3) and will contain all the content and DLC from both games as well as new tweaks and extra content (I see Malroth and whathisface from DQ4 in the video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzaHm13rFs

I don't think it was announced for release elsewhere but they did announce the Switch is region-free so you can import it if you really want to.

DQ10 and DQ11 were both reconfirmed for Switch.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 13, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest X and XI were also announced for it, but none of them are listed on the US site. I really hope that doesn't mean what I think it means.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd be shocked if we ever get any version of DQ10.

DQ11 is more complicated because there's a PS4 version and that means it'll probably be up to S-E to do all the work in bringing any or all versions overseas and even if Nintendo does get directly involved, they probably won't start talking about it until a while after DQ8 3DS comes out.

Heroes 1&2 is also troublesome because Nintendo has their own musou game (Fire Emblem) coming at the end of the year and I doubt they'd want to release two of them so close together.

I think Builders would have been a better launch port, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I mean, Heroes 2 will be localized soon so I dont see why koei-tecmo wouldnt just bring the switch version here themselves.