Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Maxwell Lord posted:

And why kill the captain of the Tantive IV?

This retroactively made more sense to me after Rogue One. The guy's still sputtering about how they're on a diplomatic mission and have no idea what he's talking about when we know thanks to Rogue One that Vader literally just slaughtered a bunch of guys during a major battle that were handing the plans onto the Tantive IV and chased them through hyperspace from that same battle. And this guy is still trying to act like nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Vader is just Bigger Anakin.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I want to say that all this talk about who Vader murders and why, it reminds me that my favorite kill is when he pancakes the guy on the wall of the Tantive IV in A New Hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r125_IWLAEE

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Okay stop the thread everybody, I saw Rogue One!

It was very good. Much better than the Abrams movie. Only complaints -

+Holy loly that Princess Leia at the end. Like they did decent with Tarkin but Princess Leia just looks like a ghoul, man.

+The long closeup with Jyn Erso crying while her dad monologues. That didn't feel very Star Wars? Like it was incredible how much this felt like a Star Wars movie but that one nod to modern filmmaking felt a little jarring.

+I had a third complaint but I forgot it. I guess it was weird and disappointing Jyn and Cassian didn't kiss. You're going to get vaporized in two seconds, mash yer fuckin faces together. "I like you, but as a friend!" "Meh, my life was okay, I guess!"

Okay that was it real thoughts tomorrow maybe actually probably never.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phi230 posted:

Except Krennic got instantly vaporized since he was atop the tower where the beam hit.

They were also aiming for the tower. They say to target the base.

They shot at the base but the operators are too used to conventional weapons so they shot AT the tower, ofc it passed right through

Nah, that was totally some hotshot Imperial gunner noscoping the transmitter dish. That was a beautiful shot.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Okay stop the thread everybody, I saw Rogue One!

It was very good. Much better than the Abrams movie. Only complaints -

+Holy loly that Princess Leia at the end. Like they did decent with Tarkin but Princess Leia just looks like a ghoul, man.

+The long closeup with Jyn Erso crying while her dad monologues. That didn't feel very Star Wars? Like it was incredible how much this felt like a Star Wars movie but that one nod to modern filmmaking felt a little jarring.

+I had a third complaint but I forgot it. I guess it was weird and disappointing Jyn and Cassian didn't kiss. You're going to get vaporized in two seconds, mash yer fuckin faces together. "I like you, but as a friend!" "Meh, my life was okay, I guess!"

Okay that was it real thoughts tomorrow maybe actually probably never.

we're probs outside of the realm of spoiler tags at this point

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

theflyingexecutive posted:

we're probs outside of the realm of spoiler tags at this point

Spoiler tags are always a considerate move.

As is proper spelling and punctuation.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sassassin posted:

Spoiler tags are always a considerate move.

As is proper spelling and punctuation.

oh poo poo just got sassassinated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_H3_g9PhnM&t

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

Nah, that was totally some hotshot Imperial gunner noscoping the transmitter dish. That was a beautiful shot.

"Hell yeah! Did you see that? Nailed it! I told you I could do it! High five, everybody!"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
An observation about the Republic that is destroyed in TFA: it is depicted not just as one world, but multiple worlds.

As it turns out the cannon explanation for this is that the Republic moved its capital by vote, and it was presently located in a system with multiple habitable planets.

What we're actually seeing is the destruction of all the possible imaginary Republics which we (and Luke) hoped might come about after RotJ. Luke had one idealized vision of the Republic of the past, Alderaan, which turned out to already have become the Death Star. Now all our idealized possibilities for the Republic of the future are destroyed instead.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I loving loved Rogue One, for me it was probably not as good as Empire (although it was at least that sprawling) but far better than TFW and the prequel trilogy. The only criticisms I've heard in person were "everyone dies" and "Vader's helmet is bigger than Rick Moranis' in Space Balls." The Orville Redenbacher stuff i could take or leave, I got used to Tarkin pretty quick because he's a weird looking guy to start with but the last shot of the movie was like seeing a freshly dead relative wheeled out and made to speak

https://youtu.be/Fcn4p213Zg8

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 7, 2017

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Vader actually dies at the end of ANH, the character we see in Empire and RotJ is Vaader.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Inspector Hound posted:

I loving loved Rogue One, for me it was probably not as good as Empire (although it was at least that sprawling) but far better than TFW and the prequel trilogy. The only criticisms I've heard in person were "everyone dies" and "Vader's helmet is bigger than Rick Moranis' in Space Balls." The Orville Redenbacher stuff i could take or leave, I got used to Tarkin pretty quick because he's a weird looking guy to start with but the last shot of the movie was like seeing a freshly dead relative wheeled out and made to speak

https://youtu.be/Fcn4p213Zg8

I didn't feel that way about CGI Leia when I saw the movie on opening weekend, but if I went and saw R1 again... yeah, I'd probably agree with you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

blamegame posted:

some of the fan restorations are actually pretty interesting. amateur scanning an old 35mm print must be a pain in the rear end

The notes on Harmy's stuff is fascinating.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Filthy Casual posted:

Vader actually dies at the end of ANH, the character we see in Empire and RotJ is Vaader.

Darth Väder

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What's the best place to go to find/watch old Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon? Is there a better option than trawling through YouTube? There's so much Flash Gordon out there in so many mediums it feels a bit like asking "where do I start with Batman"

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 7, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

What's the best place to go to find/watch old Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon? Is there a better option than trawling through YouTube? There's so much Flash Gordon out there in so many mediums it feels a bit like asking "where do I start with Batman"

The Flash Gordon serials are all on DVD, as is the Buck Rogers one. They're not in very good quality since nobody's put much effort into restoring them or anything, and you have to get used to the serial structure, but they're fun.

The comic strips- I know there are fairly recent collections of Flash Gordon's old run. Buck Rogers I'm less sure of. Of course Buck Rogers starts off with the Han Chinese as the villains who have taken over the Earth (though to Nolan's credit, when he finally ended the storyline he portrayed the Han Emperor as being merely misguided, and there was a faction of sympathetic anti-imperialist Han rebels)- after a few years they introduced sky pirates and undersea kingdoms, and then the Tiger Men of Mars introduced outer space and such. There are a couple of old volumes of this, one was done in 1970 and the other the late 80s/early 90s when an heir to the Dille family trust was in charge of TSR and greenlit of a bunch of Buck Rogers stuff in order to basically write herself checks.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

This retroactively made more sense to me after Rogue One. The guy's still sputtering about how they're on a diplomatic mission and have no idea what he's talking about when we know thanks to Rogue One that Vader literally just slaughtered a bunch of guys during a major battle that were handing the plans onto the Tantive IV and chased them through hyperspace from that same battle. And this guy is still trying to act like nothing happened.

Yeah, that scene totally made no sense before Rogue One came out. Why would the evil demonic rage villain possibly want to murder a guy who he believes is baldly lying to him? :rolleyes:

I can't wait for the retcon explaining why Vader really murdered Captain Needa. I mean, the guy apologized to him! Why the gently caress would Darth Vader want to murder a guy who just said he was sorry? Make no sense. We can only hope a new Disney prequel movie comes out explaining that Needa was actually a secret Rebel sympathizer, and that's why he let the Falcon get away, and that's why Vader killed him.

Raxivace posted:

When is Vader going to meet Abott and Costello?

I guess they never quite met when he was actually Vader, though, huh?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 7, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I went and saw Rogue One and liked it well enough, I still find it interesting how the new Cannon is taking stuff from the older Legends Cannon and bringing it to the big screen. The battles at the end of the movie was really cool, and I thought it was amusing to see some ships, including apparently they are still using KOTOR Hammerheads about 4000 years later?

The only thing I felt off putting was the use of the CGI Tarkin and Leia at the end? (Not sure if they used CGI model or just spliced her in from old footage) Other things like pulling the pilots from the Death Star attack was kinda cool, although was surprised they didn't pull Wedge or Biggs out to use.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

I guess they never quite met when he was actually Vader, though, huh?

3PO got memory-wiped at the end of RotS

It's quite possible that R2 knows exactly who Vader really is throughout the original trilogy, though

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

wyoming posted:

I've only ever read Dune, and while I liked it a lot, I always thought "to hell with the sequels" as they sounded like an awful idea.
Good to know they don't have anything to say that wasn't already implicit in the first book.

Oh, there's lots worth reading, at least up until the end of God-Emperor of Dune.

Dune Messiah, for example, has Paul and Alia trolling the gently caress out of nearly everyone.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You can tell he's not Anakin whenever he's in a black robot suit and voiced by James Earl Jones.

He becomes Darth Vader when he is given that name by Sidious, which is before he kills the younglings.

That's a complete misinterpretation. Dooku's goal was to recruit as many Jedi as he could (along with other groups) in a plot to assassinate Sidious/Palpatine. He is not an anarchist.

He is directly paralleled with Vader in Empire. But, unlike Vader, Dooku is not a revolutionary. His failure is not his 'idealism'. It is, rather, his feudalist ideology.

I do not see how Dooku's actions agree with a plot to assassinate Palpatine - he has Palpatine prisoner on his flagship in the beginning of ROTS, he could easily execute him, and he simply waits for the rescue to arrive.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Of course Buck Rogers starts off with the Han Chinese as the villains who have taken over the Earth (though to Nolan's credit, when he finally ended the storyline he portrayed the Han Emperor as being merely misguided, and there was a faction of sympathetic anti-imperialist Han rebels)- after a few years they introduced sky pirates and undersea kingdoms, and then the Tiger Men of Mars introduced outer space and such. There are a couple of old volumes of this, one was done in 1970 and the other the late 80s/early 90s when an heir to the Dille family trust was in charge of TSR and greenlit of a bunch of Buck Rogers stuff in order to basically write herself checks.

The Han shot first.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like ok i can see only restricting darth Vader to robot James earl jones but make that explicit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

euphronius posted:

Like ok i can see only restricting darth Vader to robot James earl jones but make that explicit.

He takes the name Darth Vader, but he isn't truly Darth Vader until he's Robot James Earl Jones. He becomes Anakin in RotJ when Luke takes his mask off.

Likewise, Kylo Ren has taken that name in TFA and believes that killing his father will make him truly Kylo Ren and not Ben Solo, but it doesn't.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Idahoant posted:

He becomes Darth Vader when he is given that name by Sidious, which is before he kills the younglings.

Being given a name is not the same as being that person. The point is that Darth Vader emerges after all traces of Anakin Skywalker have been burnt away, and the character is reborn in a different body. It's at that point that he fully becomes the name.

This is what distinguishes Vader from Dooku, who maintains a distance from the Darth Tyrannus name and insists that he is still a Jedi. (And, despite being a cyborg, Greivous doesn't even get a 'Darth' title. He still operates under his birth name.) Vader has much more in common with Maul - who displays little trace of his former self, and whose face tattoos function like Vader's mask. (Maul is, however, fighting on behalf of 'his people', 'his culture', or whatever. He's a bit more small-time.)

quote:

I do not see how Dooku's actions agree with a plot to assassinate Palpatine - he has Palpatine prisoner on his flagship in the beginning of ROTS, he could easily execute him, and he simply waits for the rescue to arrive.

Dooku needs help to kill Palpatine for the same reason that Vader does in the OT. Palpatine is almost literally the embodiment of the capitalist system, and can only be defeated if capitalism ends. Dooku's goal is to bring back feudalism (alliance with the Jedi) while Vader's goal is dictatorship of the proletariat (alliance with Luke and, by extension, all the oppressed who serve the Rebel Alliance out of desperation and lack of alternatives).

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 8, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Anakin is told his name, but his baptism (by fire) happens later on, on the fire planet.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Greivous ascended pre-Vadar so he wasn't a sith. He was never a brother in the body of christ.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

temple posted:

Greivous ascended pre-Vadar so he wasn't a sith. He was never a brother in the body of christ.

he's John the Baptist

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In more concrete terms, Grievous is used to illustrate that Vader isn't just a cyborg.

Vader is distinguished by his attitude towards being cyborg. While Grievous is constantly trying to reassert his humanity, Vader embraces the machine. Being 'more machine than man' is a choice.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

he's John the Baptist

John the Baptist was the loving coolest then (after whichever guy Maul was)

All of the main villains in the prequels save Palpatine were aspects of Vader, right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I hear that for Episode VIII, Disney is going to feed snippets of all of Fisher's lines in the Star Wars films to a neural network. The neural network will then be a substitute voice actor for Fisher and whenever she "speaks" she'll be a CGI model.

lol

Serious talk: is Watto's had culpable in making him a Jewish stereotype?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 8, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vader is Space Christ, and he rejects the false dichotomy between Republic and Imperial. When he dies, the Force (aka The Dark Side) dies with him and all that remains is the Holy Spirit. His goal is to supplant the Emperor, yet not to restore the Republic. He is not a Seperatist, not a Rebel or Resistance.
He stands for the truth in its most terrifying dimension. He mingles with the intolerable alien 'scum' of the universe. He appropriates state power and turns it toward the pursuit of justice. He offers his hand to Luke because he knows their ideals are the same.

Ok. The messianic imagery is pretty clear later on and his lack of class distinction down to being part droid I get. Can you explain what shows him as being interested in authentic justice? Clearly he's not down with the Empire or Republic, but his egalitarian principles don't seem so obvious to me. His offer to Luke reads as dictatorial, even monarchical. It seems a stretch to give him even Blanquist credit at that point. He seems more like a Christ figure who's being syncretized with the devil (only partially in the positive diabolical sense) and is both enacting the Temptation on Luke, and himself being tempted. His actor definitely sells more as conflicted and uncertain than possessed of a firm ethical principle as I recall him between the Death Star and the Throne Room. And while he's perfectly willing to interact on equalish terms with the scum of the galaxy, I don't remember any indication that he's concerned with their lives.

I'm not strongly disputing you, I'm just looking for something more concrete in terms of textual evidence for what seems like a very counterintuitive reading of the character pre-Throne Room. Like, why would this Vader even hesitate in that scene? Luke has already completed his apotheosis. The editing and actor both play it as a moment of major internal conflict. Do you see this as sort of a mixed up Passion?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

I can't wait for the retcon explaining why Vader really murdered Captain Needa. I mean, the guy apologized to him! Why the gently caress would Darth Vader want to murder a guy who just said he was sorry? Make no sense. We can only hope a new Disney prequel movie comes out explaining that Needa was actually a secret Rebel sympathizer, and that's why he let the Falcon get away, and that's why Vader killed him.

This would make Needa a far less heroic figure and I would have to give away my action figures.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

Ok. The messianic imagery is pretty clear later on and his lack of class distinction down to being part droid I get. Can you explain what shows him as being interested in authentic justice? Clearly he's not down with the Empire or Republic, but his egalitarian principles don't seem so obvious to me. His offer to Luke reads as dictatorial, even monarchical. It seems a stretch to give him even Blanquist credit at that point. He seems more like a Christ figure who's being syncretized with the devil (only partially in the positive diabolical sense) and is both enacting the Temptation on Luke, and himself being tempted. His actor definitely sells more as conflicted and uncertain than possessed of a firm ethical principle as I recall him between the Death Star and the Throne Room. And while he's perfectly willing to interact on equalish terms with the scum of the galaxy, I don't remember any indication that he's concerned with their lives.

I'm not strongly disputing you, I'm just looking for something more concrete in terms of textual evidence for what seems like a very counterintuitive reading of the character pre-Throne Room. Like, why would this Vader even hesitate in that scene? Luke has already completed his apotheosis. The editing and actor both play it as a moment of major internal conflict. Do you see this as sort of a mixed up Passion?

The first thing to keep in mind is that Lucas' Six Star Wars films are told from the perspective of the Republic, so characters like Maul and Vader are pushed to the margins. Many viewers, uncritical of the Republic ideology, automatically dismiss Maul as 'just bad because of his race' - when Maul's incomprehensibility is actually the result of Republic racism/classism. Such concepts as droids being people are absolutely alien to these viewers, for the same reason. This means that, although the film's are about the birth and eventual crucifixion of Vader, we see this event from the outside.

"Since the ideological universe of Star Wars is the New Age pagan universe, it is quite consequent that its central figure of evil should echo Christ. Within the pagan horizon the event of Christ is the ultimate scandal. "

Marquand's 'preferred' reading of Episode 6 is that Vader's ethical regression back into Anakin is a good thing. So when Vader hesitates, as you point out, it quite literally the last temptation of Christ - as told from the perspective of the people trying desperately to tempt him. This, not the cool black clothing, is the ultimate seductive power of the dark side.

Vader is not overly concerned with the lives of the people, but it's because his actual concern is their soul - their spirit. This is effectively what's at stake when Luke attempts to save Anakin and kill Vader in the process. It's a repetition/inversion of when Anakin breaks Padme's spirit in an effort to keep her alive. People have recently deployed a similar temptation by appealing to my sense of empathy: "how can you criticize Hillary? Don't you have any empathy for minorities?" This is where we should move beyond empathy and into love - love for those considered beneath empathy. Love thy neighbour.

It seems we pretty much agree on all this, but I think you miss the importance of Luke. Luke knows Vader is right. Deep in his heart, he knows the Rebels aren't good enough. But the point of recruiting Luke is not that Luke himself is so special, but that he is the heart of the Rebellion. Those little people (the same 'faceless' characters celebrated in Rogue One) will go where he goes.

Implicit in the teaming of Luke and Vader is solidarity between the Rebel 'scum' and the Imperial 'scum' - all the scum of the universe. But this can only happen under Vader's terms.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 8, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
So the cantina at Mos Eisley was actually the best choice all along?

(I mean that's where they met Han and where the wider universe of Star Wars caught people's imaginations, so that's actually probably true).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One thing I will say in Zizek's favor is that he was probably the first scholar to call Episode I "a very bad movie."

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Hodgepodge posted:

So the cantina at Mos Eisley was actually the best choice all along?

(I mean that's where they met Han and where the wider universe of Star Wars caught people's imaginations, so that's actually probably true).

We talked about it a little bit in the other thread, but it's not just the weird alien bar. Saw, his hideout, and his group are visually linked with Jabba's Palace and henchmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

3PO got memory-wiped at the end of RotS

It's quite possible that R2 knows exactly who Vader really is throughout the original trilogy, though

so is he a dick or are the affairs of mortals beneath him a la Tom bombadil?

• Locked thread