Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenElephant
Mar 22, 2016
It does seem to be original SC content, so it really does point to either being an SC marketing thing or possibly something syrian. (notice the nameserver names, and syria related articles)

i don't know what is or isn't doxing anymore so here is some text from his linkedin profile without his name/pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

So, he is following The Way of The Archer? (Especially as his site mentions modifying WP themes)?

Probably helped him get the CIG Shill gig.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lol at anyone who still thinks this isn't a scam & Crobbers is just incompetent.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Regrettable posted:

Lol at anyone who still thinks this isn't a scam & Crobbers is just incompetent.

I want to believe in both!

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
the version of the article that mentions Derek Smart was removed, here's the archive http://archive.is/6dvf0

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Be what you want to happen. I can embrace the totality of the CIG experience. Be one with the foolishness. Immerse yourself in the chaos.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Citizens, if any of you still casually read this thread, this is a message for you: this isn't normal. Reputable companies with giant established fan bases do not float their big exclusive hype-generating articles to 5 day old SEO sites whose other articles are plagiarised from actual news organizations. This is naked, open contempt for your gullibility. This is Star Citizen actually transitioning from game to scam. Get out get out get out.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

the version of the article that mentions Derek Smart was removed, here's the archive http://archive.is/6dvf0

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5mo8lq/star_citizen_30_promises_revolutionary_new/

Author is on Reddit responding to comments

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is so blatant and transparent, it's Big Lie culture. Makes astroturfing look like complicated busywork.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The Titanic posted:

Then I am not laughing at you, friend.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

He posted it on his own loving account.

https://www.reddit.com/user/vibiuspanzer/comments/#res:ner-page=2

The Author posted:

Wow this is really cool. You should use influencer marketing to reach out to people with large social media accounts who have blogs to see if they might be interested in sharing your url. More people need to know about this!

Hmm yes this is definitely normal tech journalist behavior nothing to see here

The Author posted:

I'm a digital marketer by profession so for me personally I would look at that and think this is scam because I don't know your brand. Anyone these days could start a website and make it look legit but there are scams that look like the real deal which are just there to grab credit card details etc.

YEP TOTALLY NORMAL STAR CITIZEN DOING GREAT

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Citizens, if any of you still casually read this thread, this is a message for you: this isn't normal. Reputable companies with giant established fan bases do not float their big exclusive hype-generating articles to 5 day old SEO sites whose other articles are plagiarised from actual news organizations. This is naked, open contempt for your gullibility. This is Star Citizen actually transitioning from game to scam. Get out get out get out.

Look. If they don't know this by now, either their reality distortion fields are stuck on 11, they are too dream-driven to think about it, or both.

I am voting for the last.

Sadly, I suspect, I really think we have played out the potential pool of sleepers that might awaken. Unless something SERIOUSLY ELE actually happens, or 3.0 consists of nothing but a mocapped 3D render of Crobber's rear end, this will continue until all the whales are out of money.

I will continue the fight, as I am too wrecked from PTSD (pre-alpha traumatic stress disorder) to do anything else.

Speaking of which, haven't been on Reddit for a few days. I know my thinking was too unsewerlike for some reason...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:discourse: :sever:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Look. If they don't know this by now, either their reality distortion fields are stuck on 11, they are too dream-driven to think about it, or both.

I am voting for the last.

Sadly, I suspect, I really think we have played out the potential pool of sleepers that might awaken. Unless something SERIOUSLY ELE actually happens, or 3.0 consists of nothing but a mocapped 3D render of Crobber's rear end, this will continue until all the whales are out of money.

I will continue the fight, as I am too wrecked from PTSD (pre-alpha traumatic stress disorder) to do anything else.

Speaking of which, haven't been on Reddit for a few days. I know my thinking was too unsewerlike for some reason...

Sadly, this is what happens in most cults. A large portion of these people will defend SC to their graves, simply so they don't have to admit to themselves that they made a huge mistake.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

or...buy back in???

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Samizdata posted:

Maybe, but this is kind of new. This is CIG directly linking itself to transparently bottom-of-the-barrel scam tactics. Before there was always some shadow of a doubt, maybe they were just brutally incompetent or maybe Chris was kind of a perfect storm of greed and stupidity but the project wasn't a scam, per se. But this is the second or third time in a month that they've used a fake news site to push lies about the state of progress. It is really easy to see through. And it indicates some pretty loving serious contempt for the critical thinking skills of the fan base.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

or...buy back in???

No that was 2015

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Maybe, but this is kind of new. This is CIG directly linking itself to transparently bottom-of-the-barrel scam tactics. Before there was always some shadow of a doubt, maybe they were just brutally incompetent or maybe Chris was kind of a perfect storm of greed and stupidity but the project wasn't a scam, per se. But this is the second or third time in a month that they've used a fake news site to push lies about the state of progress. It is really easy to see through. And it indicates some pretty loving serious contempt for the critical thinking skills of the fan base.

They've done this exact thing a few times now. Well, maybe not exact. One was a review!

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

quote:

And it indicates some pretty loving serious contempt for the critical thinking skills of the fan base.

I knew there was something I shared in common with CIG.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

No that was 2015
I hope you're investing in a more solid game now, like maybe shroud of the avatar

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

He posted it on his own loving account.

https://www.reddit.com/user/vibiuspanzer/comments/#res:ner-page=2

Hmm yes this is definitely normal tech journalist behavior nothing to see here

YEP TOTALLY NORMAL STAR CITIZEN DOING GREAT

Don't forget, when confronted with the obvious parts of the article that are false, claim ignorance

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
moma must be a cig employee. He disappeared for the holidays on these fine forums but played sm for 40 hours? And then that was shown to be a lie because the max is 30 hours? I find it incredibly hilarious that a cig employee's job is to come here and bog the thread down with nonsense. Carry on. Just my observations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

They already did this once with no repercussions. That one site that had no gaming reviews on it previously that just posted a CIG press release detailing features that did NOT exist as a real review. I forget the name, but I am sure you remember the buzz on that one. If they could get away with it without pissing off anyone but drat, dirty Goons, then why can't they do it a second time?

They figure all those brainblind losers are so hypnotized by Crobber's mesmeric hand gestures (oh, you thought those were involuntary signposts of his incompetence? Nope. All hail Hypnohands!), or the dream of seeing Sandi's synthebreasts, or the hope the pink haired Brit CIG girl might actually acknowledge their existence that they can say pretty much anything at this point. The astounding lack of critical thinking regularly evidenced by their backer brigade at this point in the mounting pyramid of failure lets them feel they can act with impunity.

And then when their public-facing employees decide to feather their own nests under the convenient cover of CIG's eaves with no danger whatsoever from either CIG or the Citizenry, they see more reaffirmation of the sanctity of the path.

Add to that the repeated blatant theft of intellectual property from a huge number of sources, and their conviction in their own invincibility can only increase.

This is a perfect storm of people going boldly where angels fear to tread, and every minute they continue down that path is another vindication of the righteousness of their crusade.

And between writing this and my recent visit to Reddit, I feel rather dirty (and not in a fun way), so I think I shall go and play a team-based shooter that not only exists, but is really rather fun, Overwatch. Should any Goon feel the need to put the hurting on me, look up Samizdata#1571 on Battle.net. I shall be pleased to do my best to disabuse you of your notions of superiority.

Cheers, and sorry for the Wall O' Text. This is as close to effortposting as I get.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

thats not a marketing site thats an online resume that i have since deleted from my servers

okay, totally legit guy

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
The fact that the guy is looking for source revenue (as seen on his reddit history) and marketing techniques to inflate his website is proof enough of shilling.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

TheAgent posted:

sandis nephew, how quaint

Does he know his aunt does tickle fetish videos?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh hey guess what else is hosted at the same IP?

http://www.andrewmahermarketing.com/

Ahaha removed within hours. Keep on shining CIG, you crazy loving diamonds. Hope nobody archived your poo poo.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
whoa getting close to doxxing there guys, tread lightly

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

doxx smart was right

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GreenElephant posted:

It does seem to be original SC content, so it really does point to either being an SC marketing thing or possibly something syrian. (notice the nameserver names, and syria related articles)

i don't know what is or isn't doxing anymore so here is some text from his linkedin profile without his name/pic

He is a digital marketer, so discussing his business is basically free advertising.

In the future just shoot me or Beet a PM and we can let you know. Thanks for taking the cautious approach though.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I like how he straight up admits to outright plagiarism.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Sometimes I touch the poop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Let me get this straight...they worked on Star Marine for a year after scrapping a previous, mostly complete version of it, and only about 1000 people have played it? WTFOSaurus, who is presumably paid by CIG to stream their game, has played the most of anyone in the world, at 30 hours?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Ok I think your comment is appalling and out of order. First of all there is no marketing firm linked to this IP address. andrewmahermarketing.com is not a marketing firm it's an online resume which I have since had to delete from my server thanks to you. I thought it was private and only employers could access but nope. Cheers for that. Pixel Lemonade is only 5 days old you are correct. So? Reddit was only 5 days old once too. Big deal. Articles copied from news.com.au were put in when I was building the site from the original wordpress template to help fill it out for layout purposes. My team and I are working on original articles and stories to replace those over time. Jeez dude chill out, if anyone is scummy it's you. We are in no way affiliated with CIG, to suggest otherwise is just laughable. I thought this article would be interesting to write about and the idea is to formulate over the next few weeks a solid core of original articles which we can publish so have patience, we're building. And show some respect too, don't go around the internet calling us scummy because we wrote a positive article about Star Citizen, or that I have an online resume or that we are new to the internet. We're not even showing ads for our trouble, so far this project is just costing me money in server maintenance so I have nothing financially to gain.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i did not alter the formatting of that in any way

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Milky Moor posted:

Ok I think your comment is appalling and out of order. First of all there is no marketing firm linked to this IP address. andrewmahermarketing.com is not a marketing firm it's an online resume which I have since had to delete from my server thanks to you. I thought it was private and only employers could access but nope. Cheers for that. Pixel Lemonade is only 5 days old you are correct. So? Reddit was only 5 days old once too. Big deal. Articles copied from news.com.au were put in when I was building the site from the original wordpress template to help fill it out for layout purposes. My team and I are working on original articles and stories to replace those over time. Jeez dude chill out, if anyone is scummy it's you. We are in no way affiliated with CIG, to suggest otherwise is just laughable. I thought this article would be interesting to write about and the idea is to formulate over the next few weeks a solid core of original articles which we can publish so have patience, we're building. And show some respect too, don't go around the internet calling us scummy because we wrote a positive article about Star Citizen, or that I have an online resume or that we are new to the internet. We're not even showing ads for our trouble, so far this project is just costing me money in server maintenance so I have nothing financially to gain.

It's a good thing CIG is hunting down the grammatically adept at least

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

lol my marketing website was just my online resume. I've now had to remove it from my server because of you. You're the one being scummy.

wow

The only real article on the 5 day old website is Star Citizen shilling. Literally every other article is plagiarized.

They're doing it right in front of your faces, shitizens.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i like how halfway through his own wall of sincere and motivated text he audaciously says "jeez dude chill out"

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Milky Moor posted:

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Milky Moor posted:

andrewmahermarketing.com is not a marketing firm it's an online resume which I have since had to delete from my server thanks to you.

Don't bother deleting it, it's on the internet archive now. It's out there forever. May as well own it.