Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Cinefix is actually really good, although at first glance it looks like another Watchmojo/buzzfeedesque '10 best buttcracks in the Terminator Franchise!' crap that actually seems to be a front to just get people to watch their in depth videos on advanced visual storytelling techniques. They also don't just restrict themselves to blockbusters, or genre movies or movies from the last three decades which is something I really like.

Which videos are the good ones and which are the clickbait? I can't tell by looking at the titles & thumbnails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Trunko posted:

Can someone please explain to me how making fun of the way the Chinese language sounds is racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAafI9w7CY8&t=52s

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stabbatical posted:

Which videos are the good ones and which are the clickbait? I can't tell by looking at the titles & thumbnails.

That's the thing though, the clickbait video titles are usually actually good videos.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExTt4j69zI&t=762s
That little moment of Rich Evans opening his mouth as if to say something and then quickly closing it is still the funniest thing I've seen this week so far

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

"youtube voice"

RLM sold out when they product placed Pizza Rolls

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

RLM sold out when they product placed Pizza Rolls
Lets not forget the shameless Chunky's Chicken promotion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jknH-jSdkoc

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

On youtube first is often more important than quality. The first review up, the first early access video, the first reaction video. That's where the huge views are, and if you're even a day later than others it can mean the difference between your video getting a million views or only 10,000 views. So, movies and games will invite key members of the youtube shill-o-sphere to get exclusive early access to what ever they're promoting, but usually with a ton of strings attached. One of them usually that they can't make a review video, just a video saying that they watched or played what ever and that it was fun or exciting, but nothing that constitutes a review. They can "react" to it, but not critically review it. The other thing they have to agree to is to not release any of their videos until a certain date, this is to give all the shills they invited a chance to put together and edit their videos and have them drop on the same day/time so no one has an advantage, because "first" is so important.

Now to even get invited to early screenings or secret extended trailers or limited time demo's you have to be a known commodity. You need X subscribers in Y and Z demographics, and you need an established track record of getting very excited about geek culture and exuding hype about everything. If you're known for being critical of products, you don't get invited. If you have broken any of their conditions, you don't get invited. If someone else can make a better o-face every time the word "x-wing" or "vader's light saber" is said, they get invited instead of you.

RLM doesn't depend on this sort of relationship at all. They review old rear end B movies, they make fun of the hype for upcoming poo poo, and they tend to only put out reviews well after the initial hype of a new release has died down a bit. The people watching RLM videos aren't the same people that desperately search for for "20 SECRETS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE NEW NERD MEDIA PRODUCT WHO'S TRAILER JUST CAME OUT 10 SECONDS AGO!!!!" because they're just so hyped and are frantically clicking on every clickbait marketing poo poo they see because oh my god nerd culture!!!!

Some of these talking heads started out much like RLM. They were just some people who talked about video games or movies or geek culture or what ever and were fairly honest about it. They established a bit of a following, enough to attract some corporate attention. Hey, why say no to a free early access demo of this game? Why say no to being flown out to see an extended trailer and some select scenes of the latest nerd movie? They can still be honest and have integrity in their other videos.. But soon they come to be addicted to these relationships, and they've sold out, they've become worse than a hack fraud, they've become a sold out shill.

Oh, they also have to do "youtube voice" the moment they sell out or want to sell out. I think you can only get a corporate relationship if you put on a really weird impression of what you think a radio announcer on drugs sounds like.

But enough about politics!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

eSporks posted:

Lets not forget the shameless Chunky's Chicken promotion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jknH-jSdkoc

THOSE FUCKERS!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

khwarezm posted:

That's the thing though, the clickbait video titles are usually actually good videos.

Fair enough, but could you point me to one? I'd like to get a feel for it but don't want to get tricked into watching actual clickbait.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Still the funniest god drat thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Stabbatical posted:

Fair enough, but could you point me to one? I'd like to get a feel for it but don't want to get tricked into watching actual clickbait.

The video that got me interested was called "1 Brilliant moment of tension" about a scene in Sicario.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stabbatical posted:

I thought this was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFTFFA0LtE

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

priznat posted:

What are some other good youtube folks for quality movie reviews or deep dives on technical or story detail that folks here like? I really like Every Frame a Painting but other than that I haven't found much.

I used to watch Mr Sunday Movies but it is too nerd culture for me (plus the lootcrate stuff). The RLM video that satirized the "59 things in the rogue one trailer that YOU missed" type of video seemed to be targeting that one directly.

It's not technical but Earthling Cinema is a guilty pleasure of mine. They don't review recent movies but movies that tend to be 5+ years old.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Aphex- posted:

The video that got me interested was called "1 Brilliant moment of tension" about a scene in Sicario.

Thanks, will check those out :)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Archaic posted:

It's not technical but Earthling Cinema is a guilty pleasure of mine. They don't review recent movies but movies that tend to be 5+ years old.

Non technical is fine too, I also like ones that deep dive into movies and going over the themes and what the filmmakers may have been trying to say. There was one quite a few years ago that was on PBS here that was on The Matrix (!) and it was quite interesting.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Unionize today!

priznat posted:

Non technical is fine too, I also like ones that deep dive into movies and going over the themes and what the filmmakers may have been trying to say. There was one quite a few years ago that was on PBS here that was on The Matrix (!) and it was quite interesting.

In that case, for a good primer, check out Earthling Cinema's Hidden Meaning behind the Dark Knight. They dive into the sociopoltiical themes of the movie but do it in a humorous way. The concept of the show is aliens have discovered the movies of Earth after it blew up so they're trying to contextualize the movies within what they think Earth culture was like.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

priznat posted:

What are some other good youtube folks for quality movie reviews or deep dives on technical or story detail that folks here like? I really like Every Frame a Painting but other than that I haven't found much.

I used to watch Mr Sunday Movies but it is too nerd culture for me (plus the lootcrate stuff). The RLM video that satirized the "59 things in the rogue one trailer that YOU missed" type of video seemed to be targeting that one directly.

Nerdwriter is pretty good. Filmaker IQ is technical stuff, rarely updated, but very well done.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Folding Ideas is pretty good for film analysis, but he has some gimmicky puppet routine in his older videos that might put some people off.

Double Toasted is probably the best "people just talking about film" channel right now, and isn't inundated with the rampant fanboyism that killed Screen Junkies/Collider for me.

I really enjoy Lindsey Ellis' film analysis too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ywyXLwW1Uw
This song and video is super good and it plays like a very well written contemporary homage

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Baronjutter posted:

On youtube first is often more important than quality. The first review up, the first early access video, the first reaction video. That's where the huge views are, and if you're even a day later than others it can mean the difference between your video getting a million views or only 10,000 views. So, movies and games will invite key members of the youtube shill-o-sphere to get exclusive early access to what ever they're promoting, but usually with a ton of strings attached. One of them usually that they can't make a review video, just a video saying that they watched or played what ever and that it was fun or exciting, but nothing that constitutes a review. They can "react" to it, but not critically review it. The other thing they have to agree to is to not release any of their videos until a certain date, this is to give all the shills they invited a chance to put together and edit their videos and have them drop on the same day/time so no one has an advantage, because "first" is so important.

Now to even get invited to early screenings or secret extended trailers or limited time demo's you have to be a known commodity. You need X subscribers in Y and Z demographics, and you need an established track record of getting very excited about geek culture and exuding hype about everything. If you're known for being critical of products, you don't get invited. If you have broken any of their conditions, you don't get invited. If someone else can make a better o-face every time the word "x-wing" or "vader's light saber" is said, they get invited instead of you.

RLM doesn't depend on this sort of relationship at all. They review old rear end B movies, they make fun of the hype for upcoming poo poo, and they tend to only put out reviews well after the initial hype of a new release has died down a bit. The people watching RLM videos aren't the same people that desperately search for for "20 SECRETS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE NEW NERD MEDIA PRODUCT WHO'S TRAILER JUST CAME OUT 10 SECONDS AGO!!!!" because they're just so hyped and are frantically clicking on every clickbait marketing poo poo they see because oh my god nerd culture!!!!

Some of these talking heads started out much like RLM. They were just some people who talked about video games or movies or geek culture or what ever and were fairly honest about it. They established a bit of a following, enough to attract some corporate attention. Hey, why say no to a free early access demo of this game? Why say no to being flown out to see an extended trailer and some select scenes of the latest nerd movie? They can still be honest and have integrity in their other videos.. But soon they come to be addicted to these relationships, and they've sold out, they've become worse than a hack fraud, they've become a sold out shill.

Oh, they also have to do "youtube voice" the moment they sell out or want to sell out. I think you can only get a corporate relationship if you put on a really weird impression of what you think a radio announcer on drugs sounds like.

"Sir, this is a Chunky's Chicken drive-through."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

priznat posted:

Here's a video full of recommendations for this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJRk8F7VM-4&t=462s

I will say that I find Film Critic Hulk completely unreadable due to his gimmick, and I'm not going to run it through a converter, he should just type normal.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

priznat posted:

History Buffs is pretty pop but it's also good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCggHoXaj8BQHIiPmOxezeWA?
The guy actually knows a fair amount about the history behind different films, offers reasonable opinions about how films could be more historical without damaging their narrative, and unlike a lot of historically oriented channels is fine with movies that break from real history in the name of making a better movie.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

WampaLord posted:

I will say that I find Film Critic Hulk completely unreadable due to his gimmick, and I'm not going to run it through a converter, he should just type normal.

Based on his analysis of Stranger Things Film Critic Hulk sounds about as insightful as the Incredible Hulk.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
History Buffs is really quite good. He understands what the film is trying to achieve compared to the history and offers potential alterations to the movie that is in line with the whole of the movie that isn't demanding it to conform to a movie that doesn't exist.

He doesn't look to take down a movie unless it is fundamentally bad. See The Patriot. He smashed this film because the messaging is absurd verging on straight up propaganda.

Have a look at his 300 video. It is historically nonsense if it wasn't obvious, but he takes how it is twisted it was and gives a history lesson on it using excerpts from the film. He does the same with Saving Private Ryan. He takes apart the history and through it forms the criticisms and praises the film in question while offering a history lesson. He loves 300 because it took all those liberties with history to tell a good story about some kickass dudes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

oohhboy posted:

History Buffs is really quite good. He understands what the film is trying to achieve compared to the history and offers potential alterations to the movie that is in line with the whole of the movie that isn't demanding it to conform to a movie that doesn't exist.

He doesn't look to take down a movie unless it is fundamentally bad. See The Patriot. He smashed this film because the messaging is absurd verging on straight up propaganda.

Have a look at his 300 video. It is historically nonsense if it wasn't obvious, but he takes how it is twisted it was and gives a history lesson on it using excerpts from the film. He does the same with Saving Private Ryan. He takes apart the history and through it forms the criticisms and praises the film in question while offering a history lesson. He loves 300 because it took all those liberties with history to tell a good story about some kickass dudes.

And to be fair, if you look at 300 as the story a Spartan is telling other Spartans it lines up pretty well since it's basically the ancient greek version of that time your coworker totally got into a barfight with three MMA dudes and won with his krav maga training and also then the sexy bartender with the tattoos and nose ring totally gave him a awesome tittyjob in the bathroom.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

These are some great recommendations, thanks ya'll! The Dan Recommends one is a gold mine, watching "Movies with Mikey"'s John Wick review right now, this is perfect.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Folding Ideas is pretty good for film analysis, but he has some gimmicky puppet routine in his older videos that might put some people off.

Double Toasted is probably the best "people just talking about film" channel right now, and isn't inundated with the rampant fanboyism that killed Screen Junkies/Collider for me.

I really enjoy Lindsey Ellis' film analysis too.
I miss when Spill.com was around, but I'm glad that Corey and Martin keep the tradition going with DT, kind of crazy that Carlyle went on to write Dr. Strange.

Speaking of Ellis I'm also a fan of Kyle Kallgren who posts on these forums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6OTVyybZU
Shame like stuff like his Man who fell to Earth review is lost because of blip closing and it probably getting blocked since the gimmick of the review was it was done all with covers in Bowie songs.

oohhboy posted:

I love how mad he gets at Mel Gibson movies even though I love Braveheart and Apocalypto

His recent Apollo 13 episode was great

Also he showed me something I didn't know when talking about Private Ryan, where when the GI shoots the surrendering "Germans" after mocking them for not being able to understand them; that they were speaking Czech and trying to tell him that they were press ganged by the Nazis.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Unionize today!

achillesforever6 posted:

Also he showed me something I didn't know when talking about Private Ryan, where when the GI shoots the surrendering "Germans" after mocking them for not being able to understand them; that they were speaking Czech and trying to tell him that they were press ganged by the Nazis.

I remember reading the direct translation was "we're Czech we didn't kill anyone!"

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I don't watch any youtube shows but rlm. theyare the only good ones.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I listen to WeHateMovies who do hock Loot Crate type things, but it's very obvious that that is the paid segment of the podcast and it has no impact on the rest of the episode.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
there is no such thing as ethical advertising

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Unionize today!

RLM kind of makes me want to try Dan Akroyd's vodka though. If they are paid shills it's really effective.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Archaic posted:

RLM kind of makes me want to try Dan Akroyd's vodka though. If they are paid shills it's really effective.

That's just what the aliens want you to believe.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
lol if you don't drink dan akroyd vodka to drunkenness nightly and pass out listening to a loop of rich evans' laugh layered with binaural beats that make you cum in your sleep.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Youtube posted:

Watching Red Fetter Mediocre has made me realize something today. Those who can't be successful in entertainment/film making, YouTube instead..... These guys are the worst kind of poop Star Wars "fans". They suck each other off while that pile of poop on the left on left sticks his micro penis into a pizza bite. These guys base their "cool" factor on a movie they saw when they were 5 years old and are upset that they can't go back to the days when their uncle rapey put on a Vader mask and diddle them in the closet when baby sitting them.

They wouldn't know Star Wars if they sat in a theatre and watched it. This is the last video I will ever watch of these elitist pieces of sh!7. Their "ideas" of how to improve the film is the kind of small minded, small decked, tripe that can be tossed into the toilet they crawled from. Take your down trodden attitudes and buy a gun and six bullets and and take turns shooting yourselves in the head. I say use six bullets because I don't trust these circle jerks to have a good enough aim to shoot themselves. So give yourselves another chance to get it right as you so clearly will need them.

Take it from a TRUE Star Wars fan go see episode 7 and rogue one they are good films and episode 7 is amazing. I was born in 1977, year of the OG film, and I grew up a rabid fan. I love that we get Star Wars again. It's a simple pleasure and I can watch the films without the need to make a video trying to grab views by being a colossal, three headed, bag of bantha sh17.

I now understand why Mike is drinking himself to death.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Reading the comments must be excruciating. I can't even do it and I haven't put a ton of effort into making a video just so some mouthbreather can rip it to poo poo.

RIP Mike's Liver

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Movies with Mikey" was pretty good for John Wick even if it did reach a little over playing the Olympus angle.for too long like he is trying to stall for time. But the rest of the stuff I have seen is pretty garbage.

In The Fifth Element review he spends 3 minutes talking almost nothing(French stuff and half made up poo poo about circles) about The Fifth Element before he bashes the poo poo out of A Good Day to Die Hard for 20 minutes by describing it action scene by action scene. A complete waste of time that tells you absolutely nothing. Gee Die Hard 5 is a bad movie you say, not a Die Hard movie?, I didn't know that. I would have liked to see you talk about The Fifth loving Element please?

His TFA review is a perpetual unearned orgasm of Star Wars where he spends half the running time justifying TFA based on nostalgia the very thing JJ leans on completely. He considers that the movie existence is a miracle which he uses as a bludgeon that somehow confirms JJ's not a Hack Fraud instead of acknowledging that a SW movie was going to happen anyway JJ or not. It might as well been a fan video about ring theory.

His Interstellar video was ok, but he takes far, far to long to get to the point, something he keeps doing.

His hit rate is far, far too poor for me to continue. He gets an insight then proceeds to write a high school essay on it, constantly padding on time. He has good production values I guess?!

Back to the Hack Frauds at RLM, the #1 brand I trust and use everyday.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Archaic posted:

It's not the best vodka but it's not the worst. But buying premium vodkas is pretty much a scam since Monopolowa is both cheap and extremely well regarded among critics, vodka fans and casual drinkers alike.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

oohhboy posted:

Thanks for suggesting this, his videos are super interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really hope they continue their ReView series. I love listening to people break down what makes good films so good.

• Locked thread