Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh come on Djenge Frett the Bounty Hunter?

My favorite reference is in B&W where you meet Mancomb the pirate, and you can defeat him with rhyming insults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

2house2fly posted:

Just wait until you get to the climax of Blood And Wine, which is basically the climax of the entire game, where they decided to pause the action and cram in like an hour's worth of insanely loving :twisted: fairy tale takes, like Rapunzel hanging herself with her hair and the little match girl tattooing DAMAGED across her forehead

I'm still mad Witcher 3 didn't get nominated for best use of farm animals in the steam awards.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Pellar's goat was robbed!

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

I guess people are tired of games where you have to save the Princess.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'm having mod conflict troubles. :saddowns:

Is anyone ITT good at resolving those? Modding Skyrim was pretty simple by comparison, so now that the merger has failed to magical resolved my issue I'm forced too ask for help. Should I post a screen cap of the error?

EDIT

code:
Error [modfriendlyhud]game\gui\main_menu\ingamemenu.ws(309): Could not find function 'RefreshMainMenuAfterContentLoaded'

Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(30): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(32): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(11): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 7, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Some mods play nicely with each other, but if you have multiple mods running you might need the 'Script Merger' mod tool to merge a couple of related mods together so they don't interfere with each other, which means you can't just use the Nexus Mod Manager to auto-install them.
I discovered this when I tried to install both 'All Quest Objectives on Map' (a feature that should have been in the base game) and 'Fast Travel to Crow's Perch and Hattori' - since they both modify the world map they need to be merged or else you have to pick only one.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Oh poo poo, I also forgot the quest that's just a chunk of the movie Snatch. Claytop was such a dick!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TGG posted:

Oh poo poo, I also forgot the quest that's just a chunk of the movie Snatch. Claytop was such a dick!

I like when you punch out Gorgeous George in the Novigrad fistfights.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I just did the Cerys demon quest.

Most every quest has made sense until now. Wtf.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like when you punch out Gorgeous George in the Novigrad fistfights.

And the Tailor, Durden!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Apparently pouring 30k (5k, 10k, 15k) into the Runewright turns him into both a master armorsmith and weaponsmith, and he has a nearby fast travel point so you don't need to run up and down Crow's Perch or run around Novigrad to get to Hattori.
I'm... not sure if this is worth it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Speaking of Master Smiths, I had a rather hilarious moment when unlocking the master armorsmith where in the portion of the quest where you're supposed to be shot with a crossbow to test the armor, they outright missed me instead.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

bewilderment posted:

Apparently pouring 30k (5k, 10k, 15k) into the Runewright turns him into both a master armorsmith and weaponsmith, and he has a nearby fast travel point so you don't need to run up and down Crow's Perch or run around Novigrad to get to Hattori.
I'm... not sure if this is worth it.

My favourite part is Geralt nodding sagely and going "Yes, got a feeling this will be a good investment."

I think this is the canonical explanation for how Geralt loses all his money in between each game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DoctorTristan posted:

My favourite part is Geralt nodding sagely and going "Yes, got a feeling this will be a good investment."

I think this is the canonical explanation for how Geralt loses all his money in between each game.

The level 3 runewords aren't even good :(

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Eopia posted:

Speaking of Master Smiths, I had a rather hilarious moment when unlocking the master armorsmith where in the portion of the quest where you're supposed to be shot with a crossbow to test the armor, they outright missed me instead.

This consistently happens with me, and the other guy always gets shot in the face. Walks it off like a champ, though.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

TGG posted:

I can't believe I missed it, any link to that?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Just keep fist fighting and you'll come across it. The fist fighting has a pile of fun stuff floating around.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dr Snofeld posted:

This consistently happens with me, and the other guy always gets shot in the face. Walks it off like a champ, though.

Imagine if it could randomly happen the other way around. Gerald wears the great armor, but gets shot in the eye, while the other shot just misses.

"It is as they say. You can't beat dwarven craftsmanship. Execute this insolent wench for wasting our time with her ridiculous lies."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone else notice that Geralt's VA, Doug Cockle was the crazy chaplain giving people their last rites under fire in Band of Brothers?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

DoctorTristan posted:

I dunno crafting in Watcher 2 was fucktardedly expensive and merchants paid shot for everything and I was always broke. 3 was way less punishing in comparison.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I bought Witcher 2 and 3 during the sale and I'm playing through Witcher 2 right now. This game owns but I think it's kind of baloney how they [Act 2 spoilers] give you a cheevo for letting Henselt go, but not one for letting Roche gently caress his poo poo up.

I've heard that reading the books before playing the third game adds a lot to it, what do you guys think?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fadam posted:

I bought Witcher 2 and 3 during the sale and I'm playing through Witcher 2 right now. This game owns but I think it's kind of baloney how they [Act 2 spoilers] give you a cheevo for letting Henselt go, but not one for letting Roche gently caress his poo poo up.

I've heard that reading the books before playing the third game adds a lot to it, what do you guys think?

It basically puts the entire game in a new context than if you had just played the games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a lot of references to past games and the books, but there's a fairly extensive character database so you probably won't get lost if you haven't read them, I certainly didn't. That said, it's probably best to know about Yennefer and Ciri and feel invested in Geralt's relationships to them before playing W3 otherwise huge chunks of the main plot will leave you cold.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

fadam posted:

The books are very good and will make you appreciate the games so much more. Certain scenes in W3 almost had me in tears because I had real context of who characters were and what they meant to Geralt instead of just codex entries.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

fadam posted:

The books are pretty good and they do make the games much more enjoyable and the character's motives are much more interesting. Yennefer and Geralt's relationship is based so heavily on their pasts that without knowing that kind of starting their story in the last chapter. Ciri too. A lot of small characters and off-hand references make much more sense as well and you get the jokes in some of Geralt's deadpan lines that otherwise just sound like he's a jerk.

That said, don't go in expecting literature. They are decent fantasy novels but they are arranged much more like a series of short novellas that advance the plot in fits and starts but just as often go way out into left field. The final book is just all over the place and a great example of the author being burned out but contractually obliged to provide a final book. The good news is that CDProjekt seemed to recognize this starting at the first game and slowly but surely retconned the some of the final book's more insane moments.

Edit: Also this is one series I don't recommend the audiobooks in. The narrator on Audible does a good job, but the tones are all wrong. Geralt is done in this kind of Irish-Batman voice that is just strange, and also most of the proper nouns are moderately to radically different in pronunciation that makes it difficult to follow where/who they are versus in the games (I.E. Vizima is pronounced Vi-Chim, Striga is pronounced Stree-gah, Vizimir is pronounced Vik-e-mur, etc.)

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 8, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nice, I just loaded up my Kindle with all the available English books.

Without getting too spoilerly, can someone let me know if one of the choices in the For Temeria! quest line is better than the other?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It probably works better for Witcher 3 if you go with Roche, but it's been a while since I played so I can't remember all the details

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Roche shows up in Witcher 3 and Iorveth is cut from it, so there's that.
Witcher 3 also lets you screw Roche over if you feel like it though so I guess if you don't care about him you can do that?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Roche sucks. Iorveth is the real bro. Too bad Witcher 3 ignored almost every decision I made in 2 except for that terrible tattoo.

I might have even let Dijkstra have his way with Roche if he hadn't been so rude as to try to backstab me to my face!!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Roach > Iorveth > Roche

Pick the right choice.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Just finished Blood and Wine. I've burned through these games so hard, it's definitely been unhealthy... but also loving awesome.
I went away for Christmas when I was on the verge of the denouement of Wild Hunt, and ended up reading all the books over the holiday. gently caress, I wish I'd read them before I started the games - it does change your perspective somewhat, or at least give you weightier attachment to the characters.

Especially when it came to Blood and Wine, my jaw dropped when Regis showed up. I'm not sure they got quite the right voice actor (too pedestrian for a centuries-old vampire, even a really pedantic one) but still, it was so awesome, and the final moonlit drinking scene at the very end gave me serious feels.
Also, hooray for them adding in -your chosen character- appearing at the vineyard. Almost feels like closure.

e: also is it me or did they improve their facial tech somewhat for Blood & Wine? Anna Henrietta looks really loving good for one.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 8, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Quick question about the Witcher 2. Is it open world, or semi open world? Or is it more linear levels, err...like FF 10? Not sure what to use as an example. I haven't started playing yet because I figure I should finish Blood and Wine. I figure I could have just googled but I don't want any big spoilers, plus it's just fun talking about The Witcher anyway.

I got that combat mod installed and working, and the game autoset to ultra or whatever settings which surprised me a bit because I only have a 730GT.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Quick question about the Witcher 2. Is it open world, or semi open world? Or is it more linear levels, err...like FF 10? Not sure what to use as an example. I haven't started playing yet because I figure I should finish Blood and Wine. I figure I could have just googled but I don't want any big spoilers, plus it's just fun talking about The Witcher anyway.

I got that combat mod installed and working, and the game autoset to ultra or whatever settings which surprised me a bit because I only have a 730GT.

It's less true open world, the game is split into a prologue and three acts and each part of the act takes place in an open world probably similar in size to I guess... White Orchard from the prologue in three? With some dungeons/etc. areas that are separate sub-areas.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Not open world. You've got 3 acts. Act 1, you get Flotsam, a forest and a swamp. Act 2, you either get an army camp or a Dwarven town with a bit of mountains. Act 3, you get Loc Muinne and some more mountains.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Jack2142 posted:

I dunno crafting in Watcher 2 was fucktardedly expensive and merchants paid shot for everything and I was always broke. 3 was way less punishing in comparison.

Pfft. Probably one of the mutations deliberately makes witchers forever Bad with Money so they can never make enough to retire and gotta keep killing people's monster problems.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rygar201 posted:

Nova Odin posted:

I guess people are tired of games where you have to save the Princess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

I just did the Cerys demon quest.

Most every quest has made sense until now. Wtf.

I think it kind of makes sense.

You, as the player, are probably going to see through the ruse immediately, which is unfortunate. But you can still assume that Geralt would have at least a modicum of doubt about what he was about to do / had just done, even if he was almost certain that Cerys wouldn't kill a baby (after all the idea was to trick the demon into thinking Geralt was guilty, not to actually make him guilty). Not the least because the Skelligeans are impulsive and violent, and thus unpredictable, especially when you are dealing with an extremely assertive and cocky daughter of a leading noble.

So you can assume that Cerys' plan created enough reasonable doubt in Geralt to trick the creature. The part that doesn't make sense is the remorseless killing of the bodyguard that follows, but welp, that's game logic 101.

Anyway, what happens if you refuse to shove the kid in the oven?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Then you do things the Witcher way, permanently

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Not convinced that Geralt would feel overly guilt-stricken over incinerating a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Not convinced that Geralt would feel overly guilt-stricken over incinerating a baby.

Geralt activates detective vision. "Piercing cry. Leaves droppings indiscriminately. Feeds on humans. Dealing with a baby. Hanged Man Oil and Igni should do the job."

e: "I heard 'twere powerful easy to kill a baby, master witcher"
"You heard wrong, ignorant peasant. Pay up."