Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

dick traceroute posted:

Also clocks. Have a look between III and V

I thought that one was because that means you have an even number for all the counts of each digit, so you can use the same template twice and get enough digits for one clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Edison was a dick posted:

I thought that one was because that means you have an even number for all the counts of each digit, so you can use the same template twice and get enough digits for one clock.

Four times, actually.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

HardDiskD posted:

And how is wiki pronounced?

Like wickee, not weekee (or vici).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kilson posted:

Christ.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Kilson posted:

I'm pretty sure Ward Cunningham disagrees (the original Hawaiian word would be pronounced more like "weekee" than "wickee").

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I'm pretty sure Ward Cunningham disagrees (the original Hawaiian word would be pronounced more like "weekee" than "wickee").

Yeah and the guy who invented GIF says it is pronounced 'jiff', so clearly the inventor can be wrong about pronunciation.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
"Wickee" is clearly the better pronunciation but strictly speaking the Roman pun works!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I pronounce it like "sword."

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
Oh MySQL.

bobthecheese fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 6, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

taqueso posted:

Yeah and the guy who invented GIF says it is pronounced 'jiff', so clearly the inventor can be wrong about pronunciation.

The pronunciation is in the spec, so it's the rest of the world that's wrong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

taqueso posted:

The author of the GIF format intended it to be a pun on "In a jiffy" because it made images load faster, both by optimized file transfer and faster decompressing than many other contemporary file formats available in the late 80s. So it's literally just a horrible dad joke, and CompuServe who employed him required he use GIF as the abbreviation because they wanted it to be a valid acronym of a descriptive name - and also because they were worried the Jif peanut butter people might have an issue.

It's some "hi hungry, I'm dad" stuff.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

leper khan posted:

The pronunciation is in the spec, so it's the rest of the world that's wrong.

Specs are just polite suggestions.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

CompuServe who employed him required he use GIF as the abbreviation because they wanted it to be a valid acronym of a descriptive name - and also because they were worried the Jif peanut butter people might have an issue.

I can confirm this.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Do it again with utf8mb4 because of course UTF-8 should only mean certain characters and not loving UTF-8

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

The author of the GIF format intended it to be a pun on "In a jiffy" because it made images load faster, both by optimized file transfer and faster decompressing than many other contemporary file formats available in the late 80s. So it's literally just a horrible dad joke, and CompuServe who employed him required he use GIF as the abbreviation because they wanted it to be a valid acronym of a descriptive name - and also because they were worried the Jif peanut butter people might have an issue.

It's some "hi hungry, I'm dad" stuff.

if he was smarter he would have named it JIF, which would pronounce correctly. And then you just say that the acronym is recursive: "JIF Image Format"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been forced to work with some project that uses the Matlab compiler to create a standalone executable for running on some batch nodes, and randomly about 1% of the time the executable just crashes as it's launched. I assumed it was some issue with the code, but the crash occured suspiciously fast and didn't leave behind any useful information so I began to wonder if maybe I was using the compiler wrong.

Looked around online and apparently this is a common problem with Matlab-compiled standalone executables, there is no solution and you just have to deal with it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

QuarkJets posted:

I've been forced to work with some project that uses the Matlab compiler to create a standalone executable for running on some batch nodes, and randomly about 1% of the time the executable just crashes as it's launched. I assumed it was some issue with the code, but the crash occured suspiciously fast and didn't leave behind any useful information so I began to wonder if maybe I was using the compiler wrong.

Looked around online and apparently this is a common problem with Matlab-compiled standalone executables, there is no solution and you just have to deal with it

My first guess was "it's just some dumb unavoidable MATLAB thing" and hey, it looks like it lived down to my expectations!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

The solution is that Matlab should not be used in production. It's awesome for the research phase, but when the research is over, implementation for the product should be done by a developer in whatever language the product is going to use.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

Dude, its Matlab. Of course its terrible and hosed up.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Volguus posted:

The solution is that Matlab should not be used in production. It's awesome for the research phase, but when the research is over, implementation for the product should be done by a developer in whatever language the product is going to use.

I once spent a few months ripping out a robust c# implementation of a thing to replace it with a ridiculous wrapper of the matlab prototype. Then I got the gently caress out of there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Who on earth thought that was a good idea?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The official motivations were all really awful and I'm pretty sure the actual motivation was that it shifted whose budget had to pay for the ongoing work.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Plorkyeran posted:

The official motivations were all really awful and I'm pretty sure the actual motivation was that it shifted whose budget had to pay for the ongoing work.

Hahah, that's wonderful! Office politics :allears:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

I once spent a few months ripping out a robust c# implementation of a thing to replace it with a ridiculous wrapper of the matlab prototype. Then I got the gently caress out of there.

how do you sleep at night

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've seen that before when there are high visibility bugs in the new and better version. Eventually someone says, "can't we just switch back to the old one."

O_Kafetzis
Feb 15, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

Can you recreate the crash in MEX mode? That may give you more information to debug the problem.

The stand alone executable assumes that the user has tested the Matlab program in Mex mode.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

QuarkJets posted:

Hey, at least you're not using it to design ASICs. That chip has more revisions than any of our other ones, and that includes the one where the main PLL had its output shorted to ground...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

O_Kafetzis posted:

Can you recreate the crash in MEX mode? That may give you more information to debug the problem.

The stand alone executable assumes that the user has tested the Matlab program in Mex mode.

The MathWorks support person said that it's a known problem with repeatedly running mcc-compiled executables in *nix environments, and that if it does crash then you just need to run it again (I can verify that this worked, the crash really is random, apparently). He also said that the crash wouldn't occur if the compiled executable was launched from within a Matlab instance, but that seems like it's defeating the point of using the MCR. Trying to debug the matter further feels kind of futile

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

smackfu posted:

I've seen that before when there are high visibility bugs in the new and better version. Eventually someone says, "can't we just switch back to the old one."

This is my life right now. I can assure you that it is a rollercoaster ride.

For context, one of the "high visibility problems" is that using actual windows instead of child MDI windows is an unprecedented, horrible thing and everyone is angry at having to learn something new.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Plorkyeran posted:

gently caress you, I want to gently caress you up bitch. I've been working on replacing a huge complicated MATLAB piece of poo poo with c# for a loving YEAR at my current place. As soon as I read your post I did 200 push ups to prepare my body to kick the poo poo out of you, watch your back

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
If someone would just go on over and burn Mathworks HQ to the ground that would be fine with me.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Dog Jones posted:

gently caress you, I want to gently caress you up bitch. I've been working on replacing a huge complicated MATLAB piece of poo poo with c# for a loving YEAR at my current place. As soon as I read your post I did 200 push ups to prepare my body to kick the poo poo out of you, watch your back

I want to imagine you're at the same place reversing the migration on the same product, but at least when I left it the matlab stuff was all nicely segregated into its own microservice and you could point things at either the matlab or c# implementation, so in order for it take a year someone after me would have had to gently caress things up pretty badly.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Or everyone forgot about the c# microservice and mr Jones has been rewriting this whole poo poo pile for nothing!

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nah mine is scattered around all over the goddamn place, Im the first person at this place to even use the word 'service'

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Man, and I thought I had it bad porting Matlab code to Perl. Why would anyone hire developers to port to Matlab? I've normally seen academics prototype in Matlab or R and then get productionized for performance and such porting to something actually meant to run beyond someone's workstation for a demo to get a research grant.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

necrobobsledder posted:

Man, and I thought I had it bad porting Matlab code to Perl. Why would anyone hire developers to port to Matlab? I've normally seen academics prototype in Matlab or R and then get productionized for performance and such porting to something actually meant to run beyond someone's workstation for a demo to get a research grant.

Some guys pay real money to get their nuts stepped on. People are weird.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

When all that you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Some engineers only really know how to work with Matlab and they don't understand that Matlab is a half-competent prototyping language with a nice UI and nothing more

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quote:

hey Mr. Crow, I don't understand the comment "please merge the latest from master"

HOW DO YOU HAVE A JOB IN IT?

I've been telling this kid how to do his job for the better part of a year; normal people actually learn things and it's no big deal but he is as clueless as the day I met him.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Maybe you should teach him what that means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I have at least a dozen+ times :)