Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What was the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

groverlasers can't melt plastic siding

oh gently caress

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Third World Reggin posted:

Grover was going to be demodded from GIP but since GIP kept complaining about him they decided to keep grover as mod for longer just to prove a point.

I thought he was demodded when it came out that he was never actually in the military

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Wasn't his argument that he was basically a colonel due to his pay grade, or some poo poo like that?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

eschaton posted:

Wasn't his argument that he was basically a colonel due to his pay grade, or some poo poo like that?

Yep. Civilian GS level

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Krowley posted:

Are you wearing a garbage bag on top of it all?

Underneath it all, too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bitcoin bastard posted:

Hey you try storing a prototype F-35 laser generator under your staircase some time and then tell me your stairs don't need insulation.

:tinfoil:

i've seen lots of groverhaus picutres but never this one. i guess he's repairing the damage from the melted vinyl picture

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jose posted:

i've seen lots of groverhaus picutres but never this one. i guess he's repairing the damage from the melted vinyl picture

I might be misremembering, but his grill was too close to the wall, and it, indeed melted.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Paladinus posted:

I might be misremembering, but his grill was too close to the wall, and it, indeed melted.

That's right. It's quality, all the way down.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's been ages since I've seen the wall of electric sockets, does anybody have it?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Paladinus posted:

wow, your avatar is developing a narrative

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I scar from the current running saga of the forums most likely.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

oldpainless posted:

What was the point?

Gip provided a long list of reasons why he shouldn't be a mod. It was thought out and agreeded upon by the forum.

But the powers that be during that time didn't want the people in the forum to run the forum or be able to walk over admins / mods, so he stayed as a mod with no power.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

MissEchelon posted:

That's right. It's quality, all the way down.

Where is the origin of "All the way down"? I want to say original bitcoin thread, but that's a grasp in the dark.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

To be fair, it might be non SA and I'm conflating things!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kru posted:

Where is the origin of "All the way down"? I want to say original bitcoin thread, but that's a grasp in the dark.

Turtles being all the way down maybe?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why did he post so many pictures of his house in the first place

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Speaking of fakers in GiP, wasn't there a guy who faked being in the US special forces for a while, then it came out that he wasn't American and was never in the military?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Speaking of fakers in GiP, wasn't there a guy who faked being in the US special forces for a while, then it came out that he wasn't American and was never in the military?

IDR, I think. Also mocked transexuals while in fact, being very into them, and creating dating accounts seeking them out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a goon made a thread about working security to protect boats from pirates who was ex-special forces and he called the goon a liar lol

he put in an absolute massive amount of effort to convince people

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

a goon made a thread about working security to protect boats from pirates who was ex-special forces and he called the goon a liar lol

he put in an absolute massive amount of effort to convince people

I remember that! It was a pretty good read, that mercenary pirate defense thread. He also had to explain a few times that he said he was the cook on the ship as a joke because GiP are full of humorless assholes. Wasn't that in A/T first?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

kru posted:

As I heard it, some famous astronomer/scientist giving a lecture about the cosmos and afterward a goofy old lady saying it was nonsense and everybody knows the world is flat and sits on the back of a giant turtle. The guy says, what does the turtle stand on and the goofy lady says, your're very clever young man, but it's turtles all the way down.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

dee eight has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Jan 8, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

IDR, I think. Also mocked transexuals while in fact, being very into them, and creating dating accounts seeking them out.

I swear this was a US senator or congressman or something, but it's also likely it's not just one person.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

dee eight posted:

As I heard it, some famous astronomer/scientist giving a lecture about the cosmos and afterward a goofy old lady saying it was nonsense and everybody knows the world is flat and sits on the back of a giant turtle. The guy says, what does the turtle stand on and the goofy lady says, your're very clever young man, but it's turtles all the way down.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

It might have propagated into general consciousness through Terry Pratchett as well, courtesy of the Discworld floating on the back of four elephants standing on a giant turtle. IIRC there's even a couple of "turtles all the way down" lines scattered through the books.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TheKennedys posted:

It might have propagated into general consciousness through Terry Pratchett as well, courtesy of the Discworld floating on the back of four elephants standing on a giant turtle. IIRC there's even a couple of "turtles all the way down" lines scattered through the books.

the earth riding on a turtles back significantly predates Terry Pratchett.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Turtle

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Syrian Lannister posted:

Yep. Civilian GS level

Not even. He was a contractor.

E: he was a contractor and had never been a civil servant or in the military and he'd say poo poo like 'im pretty much in the army' or that he was a colonel equivalent and he'd ban anybody who even winked at calling him out on any of this or his severely underqualified analysis of any number of military topics

theres a will theres moe has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Jan 8, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It just occured to me that you could think of Grover's military expertise as approximately equivalent to his construction expertise. He was equally confident and self-righteous about both as well.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

It's been ages since I've seen the wall of electric sockets, does anybody have it?

http://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

grover posted:

Well, that does it. Fire marshal came down and shouted, actually shouted at me because my awful, horrible desire to have outlets actually be conveniently placed, (that is, if I want to plug something in, I can do it no matter where in the house I'm standing, sitting, or working on a ladder) was "immediately endangering the lives" of my family - his words. So, he ordered us to do some rewiring. I slipped 2000mg of Aminorex into Old Wifey's breakfast-for-dinner, so she's out in the secondary TV room maniacally delving into the insulation and tearing out big bundles of wiring. I'm just taking a beer break and updating the thread, which I guess I shouldn't be doing, since current's still flowing in the wiring she's not supposed to remove. In some rooms, though, we're just gonna stuff in another layer of insulation and put the 'correct' wiring in over the top

grover posted:

Failed ANOTHER inspection - Different fire marshal - SAME wiring. Call me paranoid but I can't imagine that two completely different fire marshals, from competely different government bodies (the city and the state police), would just randomly come to the same conclusion about such a clever wiring setup. I pointed out that Id already purchased and installed over 180 outlets over the course of the project, so I probably knew what I was doing by now. And anyway, I could have every outlet-capable thing I own plugged in, on, and running, and it wouldn't even take up a quarter of them. Meanwhile, the Ol Wifenheimer, fuzzed out of her mind on black bombers and kratom, skittered by like a trembling woodcutter ant with several dozen sheets of plywood hoisted above her quietly jabbering head. I told the Marshal how much I wanted them but he shook his head sadly and said, "Grover, you need to choose a few outlets, and you need to take the rest away. You can't have them all, it's dangerous, you could burn your house down and you don't want to die in a terrible fire? Do you? That's why we need you to take the wires out, Grover, so you don't hurt yourself and your family." I swore up and down that I'd do the work, and not just try to fool him with a new fake-wiring setup like I did the other guy, but now that he's walked out the door - I kind of feel like just leaving it, and then start dodging inspections until after I get licensed up myself vv

Sagebrush posted:

Some of the problems I remember off the top of my head -- he laid out the foundations with one of those stretchy tapes used for soccer fields so everything was offsquare, he didn't properly compact the earth around his sewer pipe so it floated up to the surface and exploded, he set fire to the vinyl siding by barbecuing right up against the wall of the house, parts of the ceiling weren't actually connected to the building by anything other than hurricane straps, the thermostat was in direct sun beside a south-facing window and also halfway up a staircase. It's a never-ending chain of wonderful schadenfreude but I'm still a little wary about how much you're allowed to post.

Amykinz posted:

The part that keeps coming up when I google search is how he claims that it's "illegal" to secure non load bearing walls to the floor or ceiling with anything more than a slipjoint because then it can inadvertently carry some of the weight of the house and "become load bearing".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know nothing about wiring, so I'm intrigued why having a ton of sockets is an issue? Like, if there was a ridiculous amount of load on the circuit at once I can see that being a problem, but if the wiring is properly grounded and safe (no guarantee in groverhaus of course), is a bunch of unused sockets a genuinely dangerous thing or not?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know nothing about wiring, so I'm intrigued why having a ton of sockets is an issue? Like, if there was a ridiculous amount of load on the circuit at once I can see that being a problem, but if the wiring is properly grounded and safe (no guarantee in groverhaus of course), is a bunch of unused sockets a genuinely dangerous thing or not?

More wire draws more power, just by existing, which means you will have some wires drawing more power than they safely can.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That makes sense. I hate using gang cables but have always had to because there's never been enough outlets and get worried about overload. Here it's not as much of a concern because there's a good socket count and most of the gangs are there for the absolutely necessary surge protection.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EL BROMANCE posted:

That makes sense. I hate using gang cables but have always had to because there's never been enough outlets and get worried about overload. Here it's not as much of a concern because there's a good socket count and most of the gangs are there for the absolutely necessary surge protection.

Even those can get you in trouble, if you use too many of them per outlet. I remember one job I had where I had to frantically unplug things in the C-level offices because the fire marshall was on his way to do an inspection, and they had enough power strips to get us written up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In my mind I'm imagining the scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Im at my safest I've ever been right now, luckily. The only problem I ever had was years ago when I knocked a plug that had dodgy wiring unbeknownst to me (back from the days when U.K. electrical items would arrive bare wired and someone would have to attach the plugs themselves, to mixed results) and caused a Big Bang. Hopefully that's the last time. We get so many power cuts and surges here, I'll have a 2 outlet protection Gang on anything worth more than $50. Even the sofas.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just surge protectors are pretty safe, it's when you try to max out an outlet like the scene you referenced.

Or daisy chain them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah don't ever daisy chain power strips. Even if they're all surge protectors.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I've had to daisy chain UPS at work before. I always mention that daisy chaining is dumb and bad but end up having to do it anyway.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's nothing wrong with a ton of outlets if they're circuited properly. Inspectors don't know what you will end up doing with a branch of receptacles, so if you have 20 of them on a 15 amp circuit, they'll tell you to get your poo poo right. A 15 amp circuit should only have around 8 receptacles on it. You can technically put as many as you want on a circuit, but a competent electrical contractor (why was grover able to pull electrical permits and schedule inspections btw?) and inspector will keep you from doing such a silly thing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Having too many outlets on a circuit encourages people to plug in too many things at once.
Plugging too many things in at once ends up causing lots of overcurrent circuit breaker trips.
Lots of circuit breaker trips encourages people to replace the circuit breaker with a bigger one.
Having a breaker that's higher-capacity than the wiring burns your house down.

Technically the "problem" is fixing the trips by installing a bigger circuit breaker, but you really don't want people to start down that road in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so wait were the posts about hiding his 'clever wiring' and just not at all understanding why two different experts would say it's bad, along with casually talking about his tweaked out wife handling live wires, NOT parody? I thought they were posts by someone else making fun of him.