Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

oohhboy posted:

History Buffs is really quite good. He understands what the film is trying to achieve compared to the history and offers potential alterations to the movie that is in line with the whole of the movie that isn't demanding it to conform to a movie that doesn't exist.

He doesn't look to take down a movie unless it is fundamentally bad. See The Patriot. He smashed this film because the messaging is absurd verging on straight up propaganda.

Have a look at his 300 video. It is historically nonsense if it wasn't obvious, but he takes how it is twisted it was and gives a history lesson on it using excerpts from the film. He does the same with Saving Private Ryan. He takes apart the history and through it forms the criticisms and praises the film in question while offering a history lesson. He loves 300 because it took all those liberties with history to tell a good story about some kickass dudes.

How could anyone think 300 was supposed to be an historically accurate movie? Frank Miller, the original writer, has stated clearly he wanted to tell this story in the way he thinks the Spartans themselves would have told it around a campfire, embellishing details with monsters, gods, magic. As much as Zack Snyder deserves the scorning he got for BvS, he was well suited to direct 300. His style was perfect for the type of story Frank Miller was trying to tell. Glad to see History Buffs caught that and understood it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are people out there who would think just because it was based on real events it has historical accuracy even when heavily stylised. Again, See The Patriot. People can be pretty drat dumb.

300 is great and I liked it quite alot. It is so good it made Zack Snyder's career, but post Watchmen I can't think of anything I liked. I don't know what is wrong with him. Is he just a flash in a pan or is he just taking up the wrong movies?.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The best thing about 300 was the trailer that had the Nine Inch Nails soundtrack. It was an awesome trailer and the movie was actually a letdown after that, for me anyway.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

oohhboy posted:

"Movies with Mikey" was pretty good for John Wick even if it did reach a little over playing the Olympus angle.for too long like he is trying to stall for time. But the rest of the stuff I have seen is pretty garbage.

In The Fifth Element review he spends 3 minutes talking almost nothing(French stuff and half made up poo poo about circles) about The Fifth Element before he bashes the poo poo out of A Good Day to Die Hard for 20 minutes by describing it action scene by action scene. A complete waste of time that tells you absolutely nothing. Gee Die Hard 5 is a bad movie you say, not a Die Hard movie?, I didn't know that. I would have liked to see you talk about The Fifth loving Element please?

His TFA review is a perpetual unearned orgasm of Star Wars where he spends half the running time justifying TFA based on nostalgia the very thing JJ leans on completely. He considers that the movie existence is a miracle which he uses as a bludgeon that somehow confirms JJ's not a Hack Fraud instead of acknowledging that a SW movie was going to happen anyway JJ or not. It might as well been a fan video about ring theory.

His Interstellar video was ok, but he takes far, far to long to get to the point, something he keeps doing.

His hit rate is far, far too poor for me to continue. He gets an insight then proceeds to write a high school essay on it, constantly padding on time. He has good production values I guess?!

Back to the Hack Frauds at RLM, the #1 brand I trust and use everyday.
His video on The Lost World Jurassic Park is good because he pushes the idea that the Lost World is just as good as Jurassic Park and not garbage like people think it is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

There are people out there who would think just because it was based on real events it has historical accuracy even when heavily stylised. Again, See The Patriot. People can be pretty drat dumb.

300 is great and I liked it quite alot. It is so good it made Zack Snyder's career, but post Watchmen I can't think of anything I liked. I don't know what is wrong with him. Is he just a flash in a pan or is he just taking up the wrong movies?.

I feel like he's a lot like Lars Von Trier, but Synder aims much, much lower. Like 4 or 5 times in a Lars Von Trier movie you linger on a shot that's really complex and majestic, and it's like you're looking at a painting by Manet. Like 30 times in a Zack Snyder movie you linger on a kicking rad action shot, and it's like you're looking at a comic book panel.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

priznat posted:

The best thing about 300 was the trailer that had the Nine Inch Nails soundtrack. It was an awesome trailer and the movie was actually a letdown after that, for me anyway.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

achillesforever6 posted:

His video on The Lost World Jurassic Park is good because he pushes the idea that the Lost World is just as good as Jurassic Park and not garbage like people think it is.

I am going to take a guess that he runs this idea into the ground.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I think Jurassic World is garbage.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

oohhboy posted:

Snyder is a lot like Tim Burton actually in that they both have a single trick. It's a really good trick when it matches the source material, but it's often really inappropriate for the movies that they end up directing. It's really no surprise that Snyder got his start in music videos and commercials. He's the master of a really awesome, highly stylized shot that gets you excited enough to buy a product. That works fine for a movie like 300, where it's not supposed to be anything but six-packs and limbs getting hacked off. This unfortunately gave him the reputation as being the go to guy for adapting critically acclaimed comic books into movies and he's really not well suited for it. Watchmen almost works just because of the quality of the source material, but it's still a poorly paced movie that had to cut a lot of the more intellectual and emotional aspects of the comic just to fit its runtime. So you end up having this really stylistic but often incoherent film.

Everything after that is just him trying to recapture the magic of 300 but with source material that doesn't mesh with it at all.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think Jurassic World is garbage.

Jurassic World is an amazing parody of Jurassic Park. Without the context of the original film, it would be just another awful summer blockbuster monster movie, but the fact that it goes out of its way to call back to the first film and the poor decision making of the people in World makes me think that the film makers knew exactly what they were doing and it's sort of brilliant for doing so.

I also think it actively hates the generic movie going populace and it's making fun of them as much as it's making fun of itself.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Jurassic World is an amazing parody of Jurassic Park. Without the context of the original film, it would be just another awful summer blockbuster monster movie, but the fact that it goes out of its way to call back to the first film and the poor decision making of the people in World makes me think that the film makers knew exactly what they were doing and it's sort of brilliant for doing so.

I also think it actively hates the generic movie going populace and it's making fun of them as much as it's making fun of itself.

The movie is in no way this clever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The movie is in no way this clever.

There's a scene where they find the ruins of the main complex from the first film and the t-rex fossils are scattered everywhere and they pick up the banner that draped the living t-rex in one of the most iconic shots in modern cinema history and then set that banner on fire so they could advance the plot of their crappy sequel.

Death of the author. It doesn't have to be intentional for it to be poignant.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's a scene where they find the ruins of the main complex from the first film and the t-rex fossils are scattered everywhere and they pick up the banner that draped the living t-rex in one of the most iconic shots in modern cinema history and then set that banner on fire so they could advance the plot of their crappy sequel.

Death of the author. It doesn't have to be intentional for it to be poignant.

How do I reinterpretation the scene at the end where the T-rex and raptor talk to each other so that it has ~*meaning*~?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How do I reinterpretation the scene at the end where the T-rex and raptor talk to each other so that it has ~*meaning*~?

Two icons of a past classic are calling a truce so that they can survive for the sequel.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How come no one's mentioned Rob Ager? When he's not raving about EU conspiracies and libertarian values, he's super insightful when it comes to cinematography and symbolism. Check out his recent analysis of Saving Private Ryan for a sample.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't really watch RLM for insights or analysis, i watch it for the fat alcoholic man making jokes to his fat friend and twink lover

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
300 is a fascistic movie
Frank Miller is an unapologetic racist and can't draw

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Atlas Hugged posted:

Snyder is a lot like Tim Burton actually in that they both have a single trick. It's a really good trick when it matches the source material, but it's often really inappropriate for the movies that they end up directing. It's really no surprise that Snyder got his start in music videos and commercials. He's the master of a really awesome, highly stylized shot that gets you excited enough to buy a product. That works fine for a movie like 300, where it's not supposed to be anything but six-packs and limbs getting hacked off. This unfortunately gave him the reputation as being the go to guy for adapting critically acclaimed comic books into movies and he's really not well suited for it. Watchmen almost works just because of the quality of the source material, but it's still a poorly paced movie that had to cut a lot of the more intellectual and emotional aspects of the comic just to fit its runtime. So you end up having this really stylistic but often incoherent film.

Everything after that is just him trying to recapture the magic of 300 but with source material that doesn't mesh with it at all.

He also keeps getting hit with really terrible scripts. He's not much of a storyteller so someone else needs to do it for him.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

HIJK posted:

He also keeps getting hit with really terrible scripts. He's not much of a storyteller so someone else needs to do it for him.

If you're not much of a storyteller, how the gently caress are you still a director?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you're not much of a storyteller, how the gently caress are you still a director?

Michael Bay exists and you ask me this question.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Let's be real, some directors only have one really good film in them. Nimrod Antal made Kontroll which is an absolute masterpiece of a film that plays like some kind of deranged lovechild of Taxi Driver and Scott Pilgrim. The high point of his career post Kontroll is Metallica: Through the Never. Cimino made The Deer Hunter and then followed it with some conceptually interesting but deeply flawed films (and also killed one of the best Movie studios ever). Tony Scott did mostly nothing but kinda average to lovely mass market films and then near the end rolled out Domino, which is a legit underappreciated super weird experimental action flick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CD IS LEAKING :allbuttons:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Let's be real, some directors only have one really good film in them. Nimrod Antal made Kontroll which is an absolute masterpiece of a film that plays like some kind of deranged lovechild of Taxi Driver and Scott Pilgrim. The high point of his career post Kontroll is Metallica: Through the Never. Cimino made The Deer Hunter and then followed it with some conceptually interesting but deeply flawed films (and also killed one of the best Movie studios ever). Tony Scott did mostly nothing but kinda average to lovely mass market films and then near the end rolled out Domino, which is a legit underappreciated super weird experimental action flick.

Night Shyamalan?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

When you think about it, the Star Wars prequels are the real masterpieces.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Night Shyamalan?

I mean, I have an odd amount of nostalgia for Unbreakable but I don't think most of his movies really hold up to repeat viewings which is kind of a bad thing for twist movies. I really don't get the surge of love for Unbreakable that's occurred in the last five years or so, I like the movie but it's really not very good and it's weird that people keep trucking it out as the "SHYMALAN DOES MAKE GOOD MOVIES!" hipster example. I guess if you wanted to get really up your own butt you could try and make the argument that it's more relevant now in a culture so dominated by big budget superhero movies than it was when it was released but that's a pretty weak "THE PREQUELS ARE GOOD BECAUSE CIRCULAR STORYTELLING" level bullshit answer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Film can be a collaborative, if corporate, process. Not every director needs to be a visionary. Some guys can get away with just setting up a shot, giving basic directions to actors, and making sure everyone else is doing their job and keeping things on time and under budget. This is why studios loving love Bay.

Snyder's problems is that he believed his own hype and thought himself an amazing storyteller. Not so much.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Unbreakable is a good movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Unbreakable is a good movie.

Actually it's one of these movies where things happen on screen, that is competently made and with good visuals but you still don't care because youi don't care about the characters.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
George Lucas is a good example as well. His wife was/is a brilliant editor, she worked with him on the scripts hell he took help from everybody to make the first movie.

But what lifted star wars was empire and he had the lest involvement and control.

His ego got fed for years and it made him a loving rear end in a top hat.

episodes I-III just loving suck.

He could have hired good writters to polish poo poo or ghost write it.

Thats whats great about the plinket reviews they are basically film 101 and really go into detail about how flawed the films are.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Speaking of the SW prequels, did they ever respond to the autistic(?) guy who wrote a 200-page rebuttal to their Phantom Menace review?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Castor Poe posted:

Speaking of the SW prequels, did they ever respond to the autistic(?) guy who wrote a 200-page rebuttal to their Phantom Menace review?

Plinkett mentions it in the Episode II review.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Archaic posted:

RLM kind of makes me want to try Dan Akroyd's vodka though. If they are paid shills it's really effective.

I have had it, it's loving great. Makes great Moscow mules.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Dicky mouse posted:

episodes I-III just loving suck.

He could have hired good writters to polish poo poo or ghost write it.

Perhaps whats most infuriating is Lawrence Kasden was asked to write the prequels in the 90s by Lucas. Kasden wanted to but only if he could direct as well and Lucas refused.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Castor Poe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTpWzg4aiEU

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It's been pixelized to the point where it looks more like Sabin from Final Fantasy 6 than it does a klurf getting blown.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
RLM is the only source of anything about movies that I watch.
Just lol if you give a gently caress about movies in any context.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I wish Jay had another outlet to talk about european weird sex films other than talks with Josh, 'cause that boy is not only the prettiest, but has the best taste in movies in the RLM crew by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lichtenstein posted:

I wish Jay had another outlet to talk about european weird sex films other than talks with Josh, 'cause that boy is not only the prettiest, but has the best taste in movies in the RLM crew by a mile.

it bugs me how all the rlm stuff is:

Starring:
Mike stoklasa
Jay Bauman
Rich Evans

WRITTEN DIRECTED CONCEPTUALIZED PRODUCED EDITED BY:
Mike Stoklasa

and i know in my heart it bugs him too. u just know if jay had control of the patreon money he would buy some Lynda.com tutorials so he could be the star :( :(

• Locked thread