Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Golbert getting a max???

Yes. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

There were a couple people that seemed meh about him, tho it was more the idea that Utah should get rid of him or let him walk.

Yeah I'm not really clear on Utah's cap situation or anything I was just going by my impressions that I made of him a few years ago, which were wrong. Still think it sucks that he's injury prone but he's better than I thought he was

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ten in a row

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tae posted:

Not sure it's Masai's fault that Casey refuses to play Norman Powel more than like 10 minutes, despite the fact that he's probably their best wing defender.

Casey's big rotations and basically every rotation outside of occasionally giving Lowry or DeRozan a breather are terrible. The man has no concept of matchups. It's partly on Masai for not freeing up some room with all the talent he has up there (which all have trouble with spacing due to DeRozan and Lowry), but mostly on Casey for not just sticking to a lineup.

The Bulls trotted out Mirotic and McDermott just so they could get extra boards. Casey tried to match an all around great rebounding team by sticking with a Carroll, Bebe, and Valanciunas lineup, effectively giving them no mobility on defense and getting outscored 75 to 57 in the second half. Like great, you kinda matched the Bulls rebounding but sacrificed any spacing on offense and gave away the entire 18 foot section of the court which Wade and Butler happen to be extremely good in. Meanwhile Powell's sitting because he's missing 3's and Joseph and Ross can't get in over Carroll who is overrated as gently caress on defense and sucks on offense. Casey blows man.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Carroll's defense is the same as his fashion sense

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ten in a row

I never thought he would be this good. Ever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Golbert getting a max???

Why would he not? He's the best defensive player in the league and this year has been the efficient offensive center

Also as mentioned the injury prone thing with Favors is a fairly recent development, it's not like he's spent his whole career constantly battling injuries. They probably can't afford to keep him and Hayward/Gobert so he might need to go eventually and they should definitely listen to offers, but his value is pretty low now and I wouldn't be desperate to trade him just for the sake of trading him

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 8, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Gobert already signed an extension for 4yrs/$102m that kicks in next season. He's signed through 2021. It's Hayward they will have to give the max as he will opt out this summer, plus they'll have to make a call on George Hill as he is a UFA also.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Healthy George Hill has helped make that team look dangerous. I hope they find a way to keep him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Exum hasn't really developed so they pretty much have to keep Hill if they want to maintain their pseudo-contender status. They're also gonna have to re-sign Hood too.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

MourningView posted:

Exum hasn't really developed so they pretty much have to keep Hill if they want to maintain their pseudo-contender status. They're also gonna have to re-sign Hood too.

He's an RFA in 2018 though, so not too bad.

The Jazz don't have buckets of cap room but are in a decent spot and can keep this core together fairly easily for the net couple of seasons if they so wish. If next summer they trade Joe Johnson and Derrick Favors (both $11m expire in 2018) and waive Boris Diaw ($7m non-guaranteed next year) they could even squeeze enough cap room to sign a max or close to max FA if there was one out there they think they'd have a shot at.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
re: the Drayond vs Gobert thing

Draymond's defensive metrics are really good. #1 in DBPM, #3 in DRPM (behind only Gobert and a low-minute Bogut) and he is the most important defensive player in the current #2 defensive team in the league. Gobert is more important, but Draymond is a really, really effective defensive player and I'd put him and Gobert closer to the same tier than Gobert way above, though they do do different things.

Offensively, Gobert is efficient, but low usage and not very versatile. That's still a good thing, but Draymond has been more efficient than Gobert in recent seasons while stretching the floor and shooting midrange. Not to mention Draymond's passing. You can run a half-court offense through Draymond for stretches, that is super valuable offensively.

I think both deserve all-star consideration (but I also give more credit to defensive bigs than most people). But between the two I think Draymond has more value.

The Go Bear is awesome though, I am not arguing against that.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 8, 2017

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Bashez posted:

https://streamable.com/rq1zm

The other part of the Kawhi Leonard trade.

I will never not love pointing that out. The other angle shows how high he actually god, he's a good athlete. Hopefully his ACLs stay where they're supposed to.

He led the Spurs in scoring tonight with a 21/7/8/5/6 statline. Yeah the pts/ft/fta/fg/fga format is a little unorthodox, so what?

Jeez look at that motion offense

Every interior Charlotte defender looks completely lost

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The way he's finishing this year, Gobert is basically What If Tyson Chandler Were Good For More Than 2 Seasons??! He's a defense all by himself in the way Chandler or Dwight were. Obviously subjective, but I think you can be a bad defensive team with Draymond Green on your squad. I don't think that's possible with Gobert. Even with garbage around him he makes you decent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DeimosRising posted:

The way he's finishing this year, Gobert is basically What If Tyson Chandler Were Good For More Than 2 Seasons??! He's a defense all by himself in the way Chandler or Dwight were. Obviously subjective, but I think you can be a bad defensive team with Draymond Green on your squad. I don't think that's possible with Gobert. Even with garbage around him he makes you decent.

This is fair, which is why I said they do different things. I would say that Utah has a couple of other good defensive players but haven't had the same kind of defensive dominance that someone like Dwight provided. I think there are a handful of guys who can give you somewhat close to what Gobert gives you with defensive anchoring but no one else who gives you what Draymond gives you, on both sides of the floor.

I'm also thinking about the last couple seasons, not just this season.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

DeimosRising posted:

The way he's finishing this year, Gobert is basically What If Tyson Chandler Were Good For More Than 2 Seasons??!

*4 seasons

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah my reasoning is basically the Gobert can almost singlehandidly make a team a great defense, in a way that Draymond can't. I also think protecting the rim is the single most important thing you can do defensively, and since he first started to emerge late in his second year Gobert has been the best in the league at that. Draymond is obviously very good too (and is a better offensive player, though Gobert has become very good on that end this year) but I don't think you can build a defense around him in the same way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Yeah my reasoning is basically the Gobert can almost singlehandidly make a team a great defense, in a way that Draymond can't. I also think protecting the rim is the single most important thing you can do defensively, and since he first started to emerge late in his second year Gobert has been the best in the league at that. Draymond is obviously very good too (and is a better offensive player, though Gobert has become very good on that end this year) but I don't think you can build a defense around him in the same way.

I think (defensively only) I might rather have Draymond + the 10th best rim protector rather than Gobert + the 10th best defensive PF. Regardless, we're largely in agreement since I'd probably vote Gobert as my DPOY this year so far, but Draymond is probably #2. If I could somehow vote for the defensive baseline that permeates all San Antonio players, that would get my vote.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

I also think protecting the rim is the single most important thing you can do defensively, and since he first started to emerge late in his second year Gobert has been the best in the league at that.

Until now of course.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
That brings to my question of why the GSW defense is tops in Drtg. When you look at the starting 5 no defensive stoppers really pop out, yet they consistently play top level defense. What makes their D work?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Strawberry Panda posted:

That brings to my question of why the GSW defense is tops in Drtg. When you look at the starting 5 no defensive stoppers really pop out, yet they consistently play top level defense. What makes their D work?

Green, Thompson, and Durant are various levels of good at defense. They are all rangy and quick guys.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Green is around the eighth best rim protector in the league according to that chart

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Strawberry Panda posted:

Sorry if this sounds persnickety, but the pnr is the most common play in the NBA, and the idea is to get the defensive guard out of the way so the pg is matched up with a big, who presumably just has to backpedal and go for a weak contest at the rim. Draymond is so strong, bottom heavy, nimble, long armed, and nimble, that the mismatch is not a mismatch and the team has to move onto their secondary action, where GSW's variety of tall and long armed wings come to help, and if they take a second too long, Green is back in the action and stopping the play again. And if Pachulia is in the game, they have a large man who can stand in the way of the rim, with help from Green and all those long armed guys.

Honestly, Ian Clark and Curry are the only small players on golden state. Even scarecrow mccaw is really long

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 8, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think GSW dropped below SAS right now, but their defense is still really good.

Durant has played huge minutes on defenses that have been some of the best in the league for like 8 years running. Its time to admit he is a really solid defensive player, even if he isn't at Lebron level. Zaza is a pretty decent defensive player, and overall GSW doesn't have any lineup that has easy exploits for other teams.

Historically, there are a lot of really good defensive teams that have a "bend, don't break" mindset that rely on being able to adapt easily and not give teams anything particularly easily.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I think GSW dropped below SAS right now, but their defense is still really good.

Durant has played huge minutes on defenses that have been some of the best in the league for like 8 years running. Its time to admit he is a really solid defensive player, even if he isn't at Lebron level. Zaza is a pretty decent defensive player, and overall GSW doesn't have any lineup that has easy exploits for other teams.

Historically, there are a lot of really good defensive teams that have a "bend, don't break" mindset that rely on being able to adapt easily and not give teams anything particularly easily.

The idea of their no traditional big lineup with Durant at 5/4, playing at full intensity, if it's anything like OKC's lineup with Roberson/Durant at 5/4 4/5 last year, is loving terrifying, unless I have the smartest post entry passer and best post up big in the NBA

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Strawberry Panda posted:

You really think klay and green are bad defenders

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

They have Klay green and Durant with the greatest defense mind in the game as an assistant in Ron Adams

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

NotWearingPants posted:

Until now of course.

Alex Len is criminally underused and the Suns gotta fire off Chandler while he's still got healthy enough legs for 10+ boards a game.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

Alex Len is criminally underused and the Suns gotta fire off Chandler while he's still got healthy enough legs for 10+ boards a game.

RIP public rim protection stats to make a chart like this meaningful

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Attn metapod
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pet/5948717985.html

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

That dog's name owns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Okafor cant even get on the court anymore.

Poor guy.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Where's that guy who works for the NBA site
Why'd they take all the good sportvu data down, all the teams had access already, right? Too much free content for non turner publications?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

NotWearingPants posted:

Until now of course.

I like this chart because it makes Kanter look not that bad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/818193524407627778

Still can't loving get over that the Raps lost that game.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
News - Sixers match last year's win total before the ASB with the #1 overall pick still in street clothes.

Views - Joel Embiid is lit

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Ben Simmons plus Embiid might be the best NBA frontcourt since the 2 weeks post josh smith waiving when Brandon Jennnngs and the PIstons had the best drtng and ortng and were possibly the best team in history with Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond starting

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

this dog owns too bad i live in dorms

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ben Simmons plus Embiid might be the best NBA frontcourt since the 2 weeks post josh smith waiving when Brandon Jennnngs and the PIstons had the best drtng and ortng and were possibly the best team in history with Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond starting

i'm sorry but i can't allow this injustice of marc and zbo go unattended

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

this dog owns too bad i live in dorms

i'm sorry but i can't allow this injustice of marc and zbo go unattended

Zach Randolph is basically just a 6'11 Adrian Dantley, barely counts as a front court player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Tae posted:

The warriors have a strong commitment to their refusal to run a pick and roll with the best pick and roll personal in the league

something about cooties

Dwight to the Dubs confirmed

• Locked thread