Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"what happened to just regular coffee" jokes in 2016? weak, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

"what happened to just regular coffee" jokes in 2016? weak, guys.

Yeah it kinda is.
But I liked the fact that the barista interprets "Pick whatever you like." as "Check every single bean for perfection."

All coffee tastes bad.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

The Jim Steinman style power ballad was amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, easily top 3 of the season so far. Found it pretty emotional too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen a show plummet from excellence to dogshit as fast as this has. Since Greg left it's been borderline unwatchable - Valencia and Rebecca just aren't believable as friends.

The guy who said this feels like a season 5 episode where they've run out of ideas nailed it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That was a pretty amazing mid season finale.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
This episode was improved. Was that a tribute to Heart/Ann and Nancy Wilson? The research song was a great concept and decently executed. And the steal the cat video plot made R+V work better than it has in recent weeks.

I just wish they'd polish all the songs like they polished last season's breakthroughs and Drinking Song/Tap that rear end/Ping Pong Girl. So many great concepts that just need another few hours through the creative mill to be great. Spice Girls, Bad Thoughts, the R. Kelly Closet take-off, all so close to greatness.

And still, nothing compares to the Maya. Except possibly ten seconds of the Trent is Gettin Ready Song.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

I thought this was an awesome episode!
I want more Trent. Trent is the perfect foil for Rebecca.

Also, I like Rebecca with Valencia. I like the dynamic between the women and how they just feed and enable each other as they act like crazy exes. I can't stop thinking about that song, Research Me Obsessively.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its impossible to know but I genuinely think I would have been getting sick of this show by now if it hadn't changed things up like it had. Rebecca getting girlfriends and shifting her main drama to Paula has given the show a nice shakeup that kept it from getting to that point where I just sort of lose interest if it had still been a love triangle with Josh and Greg.

And yeah, I love the return of Trent being the living embodiment of how Rebecca's behavior would play if she wasn't a cute lady.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely agree. I still wish Greg was around, but there's no way they could have kept the Josh crush going without it getting seriously irritating, and they clearly know this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I liked Greg and was sad to see him go. But I can't imagine how they could have kept the status quo going with Josh and him without getting really stale and/or making Rebecca really unlikable. The way they changed it up its almost like there are new characters to get to know and new relationships and its put Rebecca back in a fairly sympathetic position.

Its hard for a show to change up their core that much and not miss much of a beat but I think this one pulled it off.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

STAC Goat posted:

And yeah, I love the return of Trent being the living embodiment of how Rebecca's behavior would play if she wasn't a cute lady.

This exactly. The inclusion of Trent is a masterstroke.

It is sad to see Greg go though, Santino Fontana is amazing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
By the way, Bloom is nominated for another golden globe.
But to be perfectly honest, I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus deserves it more. Veep was amazing last season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like it'll go to Issa Rae just because of how the Golden Globes work.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

STAC Goat posted:

It wasn't until the return that I realised exactly what they were doing - it worked too perfectly on me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

Its impossible to know but I genuinely think I would have been getting sick of this show by now if it hadn't changed things up like it had. Rebecca getting girlfriends and shifting her main drama to Paula has given the show a nice shakeup that kept it from getting to that point where I just sort of lose interest if it had still been a love triangle with Josh and Greg.
Yeah, I was wondering at the end of season one how they were going to keep the show going without just repeating everything (especially after the later episodes of season one where each one felt like it should be the end) but they've done pretty well.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I've really liked this season so far.

Unrelated, the Crazy Ex giffer I follow did something wonderful:

https://bunchofbloom.tumblr.com/post/155011746103/dear-2016-crazy-ex-girlfriend-wrote-you-a-song

edit: I've been rewatching the old songs, and man, UTI is still probably one of my favorite songs. It's the happiest Greg ever was on the show, for one.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 28, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I miss Greg so much but I'm also extremely happy he's away from all these toxic horrible people. Heather was perfect for him but she's also just perfect in general tbqh. Glad she got her own song and I can only hope we get more. It's really interesting seeing Valencia on the opposite side of things than she was last season too.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

i watched season 1 today and it was good. hope to catch up before the next episodes screens on tv yo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's back on Friday worth two new episodes!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

OK i'm caught up, and i really miss greg ok

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Missing Greg is the correct respnse but considering all that's happened since you should be happy he's avoiding all these awful awful people. I hope we get to see him again at some point because he and Heather are perfect together.

Also everyone else read this until the end, it's good.

https://twitter.com/worstbloke/status/817250633195454464

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Patton Oswalt was tweeting last night that he's on tonight's episode and that his character is SUPER creepy. Maybe his character made that craigslist post?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

EmmyOk posted:

Missing Greg is the correct respnse but considering all that's happened since you should be happy he's avoiding all these awful awful people. I hope we get to see him again at some point because he and Heather are perfect together.

Also everyone else read this until the end, it's good.

https://twitter.com/worstbloke/status/817250633195454464

Someone needs to start a search for bodies two hours from the beach. (Four in traffic)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

davebo posted:

Patton Oswalt was tweeting last night that he's on tonight's episode and that his character is SUPER creepy. Maybe his character made that craigslist post?

Wow Oswalt shows up basically everywhere. It's always nice to see him though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
FYI, boobs are just sacks of yellow fat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Paula, touch. the. ray. :stare:
Feels like someone doing you a favor. In a graveyard.

I like Nathaniel. In a show about diversity and personal happiness he ties everything a bit into reality. Of course he is the enemy, but I do think that character is more than a strawman.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 7, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought those two episodes were a bit abrupt -- I wonder if it's something the CW mandated, or if they just decided the current plot lines weren't working. Either way, it'd probably have helped to extend the Brittany Snow arc an episode or two further; her reasons for dumping Josh weren't really clear (and, like, the show's usually more generous to its characters than that).

That and the new boss / Paula's husband were kind of sudden (thought the latter was at least something they were building to for a while).

cant cook creole bream posted:

I like Nathaniel. In a show about diversity and personal happiness he ties everything a bit into reality. Of course he is the enemy, but I do think that character is more than a strawman.

It probably helps that he's destined to be part of the central love triangle.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Wow, they really threw Josh new girlfriend under the bus

E: and Rebecca is feeling the lure of her old life.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 7, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Introducing Nathaniel and the hostile takeover makes sense in so far as they don't have a villain or main adversary for Rebecca. Valencia is a friend now and unless they make her jealous of Rebecca being back with Josh, which would be a mistake since she's better having gotten over him and realizing he was a lovely boyfriend. Greg's gone so the love triangle is busted there. Josh is no longer harboring ill will. They stretched the Paula thing out as long as they could before Rebecca redeems herself. So giving her a professional adversary and introducing the idea of Rebecca going back to her evil lawyer ways works. And they seemed to be possibly setting up Nathaniel as a new romantic foil for Josh as they're basically polar opposites.

Nathaniel was set up hard as the villain with the hostile takeover and the petty firing of George. But it definitely seemed like they were setting up his dad as the true villain and him possibly reforming as things go on. I see the possibility of Nathaniel making Rebecca more like her NY lawyer self and tempting her with an intellectual/professional equal while she influences him to turn away from his father's ruthless methods and do the Hallmark movie face turn for love.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought those two episodes were a bit abrupt -- I wonder if it's something the CW mandated, or if they just decided the current plot lines weren't working. Either way, it'd probably have helped to extend the Brittany Snow arc an episode or two further; her reasons for dumping Josh weren't really clear (and, like, the show's usually more generous to its characters than that).

I thought it was pretty clear and reasonably well set up. Josh is a giant man baby. Anna has a successful business and knows celebrities. There were a lot of little moments where she'd take something Josh said as a joke or do a little double take. Then there were a bunch of little "this is a decent little club for the suburbs" comments. She's "sophisticated" (at least for West Covina) and seeing Josh as the "mall model" made it all click for her. It wasn't cool how she broke up with him but you know, Josh is an idiot and that was never going to work once she realized that.

Like, Anna's not a terrible person for not wanting to be with Josh. He is who he is. She just was obviously fooling herself about him and when the veil fell in spectacular fashion she reacted badly.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 8, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
RENEWED MOTHERFUCKERS.

Edit: Excuse me while I cackle madly to myself.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 8, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

RENEWED MOTHERFUCKERS.

Edit: Excuse me while I cackle madly to myself.

Huh. I seriously love this show, but even I don't actually think that this is a reasonable business decision.
It feels like this show has about 10 fans. And whoever is in charge of the CW renewals is one (all?) of them.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 8, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Why yes I am in charge of the CW. Expect 30 more years of this and also Supernatural.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

No one might watch it but isn't it like, the only award winning show on the CW?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
It wins awards and makes money through its music downloads.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Senerio posted:

Why yes I am in charge of the CW. Expect 30 more years of this and also Supernatural.
Castiel and Rebecca have basically the same back story anyway.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

No one might watch it but isn't it like, the only award winning show on the CW?

Jane The Virgin also won the channel a Golden Globe.

But the show's apparently got massive ratings on Netflix, far, far more than it gets on the CW. In a recent (third party estimate, admittedly) breakdown of the most watched shows, state to state, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend topped four states, including California and New York.

Source

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/818134161504358400

Such great news.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It makes sense to me. It's the only of CWs recent shows that has any buzz. If you're not into the hero stuff that's like a third of their lineup. No one seems to give a poo poo about shows like No Tomorrow or Frequency. At least there seems to be this steady buzz about Crazy Ex Girlfriend where people are asking about it. Then you throw in actual tangible things like awards and Netflix ratings. Seems worth it for a network that isngoing to renew Supernatural until it's stars retire and it's big new show is a dark and sexy Archie murder mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

They lucked into a prestige show that costs like $50 an episode to make, you don't cancel a show like that unless you're bad at TV.

• Locked thread