Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

The Phantom Tollbooth. Chuck Jones' film is just a mess and a poor adaptation of the book. I'm thinking of an old school roadshow film with a cast full of great character actors, sparse use of CGI (use stop-motion when possible), and shooting at actual locations.

Phantom Tollbooth seems like a great excuse for a fantasia of physical effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Also I'd reshoot Sonatine shot for shot but minus the rape scene.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Also I'd reshoot Sonatine shot for shot but minus the rape scene.

Why not just do a fan edit?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I briefly considered making a Scorpio Rising-like documentary in college about furries before better judgement took hold.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Phantom Tollbooth seems like a great excuse for a fantasia of physical effects.

Basically use all old school techniques like miniatures, puppets, forced perspective, and wires.

Also, shoot in Super Panavision and IMAX instead of 3-D and high frame rate.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

I briefly considered making a Scorpio Rising-like documentary in college about furries before better judgement took hold.

This would unironically own.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

I've thought about this myself and I get caught between Orca and Exorcist II: The Heretic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The last ever batch of phonebooks in Iceland was printed last year.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

I Bury The Living because it's a great concept and for the most part a very good film but the ending sucks.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hmm.

I dunno, I can't pick any off the top of my head, but maybe I'd take one of those 10 million dollar found footage films from 2006-2015 that are just totally forgettable and pick them apart for something more interesting. Maybe like pick Devil's Due and remove all of the racist aspects and the blatant cult involvement or Project Almanac and turn that into something more cohesive.

Alternately a redo of Cabin in the Woods into a movie that either focuses exclusively on the folks in the conspiracy or removes the whole "elder gods" thing and the fact that they're making them conform to certain roles. Or both. I think that's a movie that could do with some meddling.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got two. They Live, but set in Fox News starring Adam Scott. The glasses and the Aliens would pretty much be the only thing from the original.

And Without Warning. Same Alien, different movie. Scarier, less slashers, more like Green Room with an Alien. Not sure about those little starfish things, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also, a modern film: I would redo Passengers and not butcher the script into a loving romcom

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

Batman Forever, because that movie could be so much better and gayer, and it's already decent and decently gay.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I would remake van Sant's Psycho.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Gimme a bash at Tetsuo: Bullet Man, please.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Remake Peeping Tom except with the reversal of a female serial killer who preys on men.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I would remake Neon Demon with an actual Neon Demon

Which character would be the Neon Demon in yours? I'd go with the model that gets eaten.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

Surviving Edged Weapons

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I proposed this idea last month, but I'd remake The Wages Of Fear, but instead of hauling nitroglycerin, they're hauling Samsung Galaxy Note 7s.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I would 100% see Surviving Edged Weapons as a Dickeye joint.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Alternately Ferris Buellers Day Off but with Cameron being the one who convinced Ferris to take a day off of work and it ends up being about a midlife crisis and at the end Ferris eats his gun

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

I would 100% see Surviving Edged Weapons as a Dickeye joint.

We would spend way more time getting to know Stab Lawyer and the inventor of Knife Hat

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know about remake, but I'd kind of like to see a different cut of The Lone Ranger because parts of the film veer so close to greatness.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm gonna reach for the sun here and remake Metropolis, with the full force of modern SFX to portray the city, reintroduce the lost scenes, and maybe tighten up the script so that the delivery of the moral isn't quite so twee.

corn in the bible posted:

Also, a modern film: I would redo Passengers and not butcher the script into a loving romcom

I have some bad news for you about which parts of the script got changed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

We would spend way more time getting to know Stab Lawyer and the inventor of Knife Hat

Spend the first 30 minutes with backstory like The Fellowship of the Ring.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know about remake, but I'd kind of like to see a different cut of The Lone Ranger because parts of the film veer so close to greatness.

I want to see a version where Johnny Depp is removed entirely.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The movie would be improved just by removing the "modern" sequences. They literally serve no purpose other than to give Johnny Depp more screen time.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'd remake Revenge of the Nerds.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Pam Grier as Superman, Laverne Cox as Batman, please and thank you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Pam Grier as Superman, Laverne Cox as Batman, please and thank you.

Is this like a production that involves time travel, or archival footage of 70s Pam Grier Superman CGI-spliced into a new Batman movie?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Is this like a production that involves time travel, or archival footage of 70s Pam Grier Superman CGI-spliced into a new Batman movie?

She's still alive and working.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Today's YTOTD kicks rear end if you like FF horror:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTpVBsHyH4

SORGOI PRAKOV, My European Dream

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I have some bad news for you about which parts of the script got changed.

I would redo Passengers and butcher the script into a horror film

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'd remake the Ed Wood's scribed The Violent Years

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

I'd remake the Ed Wood's scribed The Violent Years

That's not a bad Ed Wood to tackle.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Glen or Glenda could be interesting in the right hands, even though the original is sort of proto-David Lynch

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Seed of Chucky has an entire Glen or Glenda subplot. It's real weird.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

TrixRabbi posted:

I'd remake Return of the Jedi and have it be that Vader was just lying about being Luke's father to manipulate Luke into joining the dark side.

Either that or a Robin Hood where Robin isn't a disgraced noble but rather a low-born Marxist revolutionary.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

YTOTD is this 1979 estonian scifi film based on a Strugatsky novel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4QGecvBWsY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

YTOTD is this 1979 estonian scifi film based on a Strugatsky novel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4QGecvBWsY

Looks quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

I would redo Passengers and butcher the script into a horror film

Passengers except the Chris Pratt character is a lot more like John Goodman in 10 Cloverfield Lane.

• Locked thread