Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Not gonna magnetise the panther, since I dislike both the jagpanther as a lovely wannabe Stug, and effort.

That said, being able to switch turrets between 75 and 76mm shermans is attractive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Well all the Shermans in Open Fire came with magnets, even though they weren't multikits, so that was an easy decision. Only thing that's stopped me from magnetising my newer stuff is no magnets in the clamshell, and the magnets I do have are too thick; gotta pick up some thinner ones on ebay, but they're only a few bucks a stack, so it's a matter of when, not if.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Switching turrets is fine and good.

Problem starts when you want multiple camo schemes.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Maybe some kind of really thin steel sheeting that could run along flat surfaces, or just add removable spaced armour to everything. Seems doable.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

lenoon posted:

Maybe some kind of really thin steel sheeting that could run along flat surfaces, or just add removable spaced armour to everything. Seems doable.

OR use it as a flimsy alibi for buying more tank kits.

Luckily my wife is not good enough at profile spotting to realize that I keep painting more of the same.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 4, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

NTRabbit posted:

By putting magnets in the turrets I can swap them out on vehicles that had fundamentally the same hulls, particularly changing between 75mm, 76mm, and 17pdr Shermans, and the 76mm and 85mm T-34, but also with some extra effort the entire upper hull of the Panther and Jagdpanther.

Saves money on getting duplicates when they're already in multikits. Also it's really cool when the turrets can turn :buddy:

76mm shermans in british service are Sherman IIs, the 17pdr equipped vehicles were sherman VCs. I mean, you could probably fit the turret, but then the length of your shermans would be very slightly wrong and how would you live with yourself?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

spectralent posted:

76mm shermans in british service are Sherman IIs, the 17pdr equipped vehicles were sherman VCs. I mean, you could probably fit the turret, but then the length of your shermans would be very slightly wrong and how would you live with yourself?

Fun fact: Many Commonwealth forces (and I'm assuming the British did too) retrofitted older Sherman models with 17pdrs. At the end of the war, the Fort Garry Horse, (Canadian 2nd Armoured) had more Sherman IICs than they did actual VCs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What is that easy to do?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Enentol posted:

Fun fact: Many Commonwealth forces (and I'm assuming the British did too) retrofitted older Sherman models with 17pdrs. At the end of the war, the Fort Garry Horse, (Canadian 2nd Armoured) had more Sherman IICs than they did actual VCs.

No doubt, but if he's got a 17pdr turret he's in danger of making a 76mm M4A4, which AFAIK were never produced.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

What is that easy to do?

All Fireflies are just shermans that had the previous gun removed and a 17pdr crammed in. If you can pull the 75mm out of an M4A4 you can do it with an M4A1.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I am aware that it's the same turrent, I was just wondering how feasible that was in the field.

What are the upsides and downsides in comparison between the Firefly and 76 Sherman?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

I am aware that it's the same turrent, I was just wondering how feasible that was in the field.

Probably fairly easy; there were Churchills field-modified to take 75mm guns from Shermans, as well. It seems to be a thing that was doable, though I have no idea if the Canadian ones were factory modified or not. The 17pdr used in the Firefly was a different design to the towed one (notably it had a shorter recoil and the orientation of loading was different), but presumably anywhere there were replacement barrels and mantlets they could be refitted.

quote:

What are the upsides and downsides in comparison between the Firefly and 76 Sherman?

The 17pdr hits a bit harder and was capable of taking APDS ammunition, but lacked a HE shell for most of the war and when it got one it was kind of pants. The 76mm had a HE shell (that was mediocre and worse than the 75mm, but still) but had less penetrating power. If you play war thunder it also had APHE. The 76mm was also nicer on the crew, given it was in a bigger turret with nicer ergonomics while the firefly had been made as a stopgap until the UK could ramp up production of better tanks.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

JcDent posted:

What flammenwerfera and cold steel?

Ed: on that part, is urban fighting any deadlier than regular in CoC, BA and whatever?

Moving units out of buildings is tough in BA, but easier in 2nd edition with changes to HE. Close combat is always deadly, as I'm sure it is in CoC

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
The grog is in me now. A colleague wanted some miniatures from the Second preussian war / War of 1864, and i managed to find some from Pendraken. i'm now the soon to be proud owner of about 30 10mm pewtermen that of course the website doesn't even have pictures of!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Frobbe posted:

The grog is in me now. A colleague wanted some miniatures from the Second preussian war / War of 1864, and i managed to find some from Pendraken. i'm now the soon to be proud owner of about 30 10mm pewtermen that of course the website doesn't even have pictures of!

Ahaha, grogsites rule. what, you expect a PICTURE of the product?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

lilljonas posted:

Ahaha, grogsites rule. what, you expect a PICTURE of the product?

My wife bought me some Baccus stuff for xmas, and was actually amazed how easy the website was to use. Compared to some of the others she's delved into over the years...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It really infuriates me and it's easily cost dozens of sites a couple of sales over the years. gently caress, take a lovely cameraphone picture! Anything.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

It rules having to search for pics on other grogs blogs for pics of painted figs.

And then have to try to work out if the figs are bad or if the guy just paints everything with sloppy blobs of paint.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Lolol

Can I say how amazing Sash and Saber acw sculpts are? Painting some union soldiers right now

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

spectralent posted:

It really infuriates me and it's easily cost dozens of sites a couple of sales over the years. gently caress, take a lovely cameraphone picture! Anything.

We've had this discussion many times before but a lovely camera phone pic is probably more harmful than no pic

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Meanwhile, GHQ has its poo poo together like it ain't no thing. Sure, the website is old, but the painted minis make the wallet feel extremely vulnerable.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serotonin posted:

We've had this discussion many times before but a lovely camera phone pic is probably more harmful than no pic

This is true. My phone cam actively makes my minis look worse than in real life

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

You MUST take pictures when you receive them. I never knew you could even get them. Well, the Danish side at least. It is such an obscure war. For anyone not-Danish. :denmark:

OMG! You can even get both sides of the First Prussian War/Three-years-war!

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 5, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

Ed: on that part, is urban fighting any deadlier than regular in CoC, BA and whatever?
Yes, at least for CoC. Remember that close assault kills on a 5+ and shocks on a 6+. Killing on a 5+ is exactly the same as fire at close range against troops in the open (i.e., pretty loving deadly and something you never want to have happen). And because the lines of sight are so chopped up, you tend to be able to get into grenade/hand-to-hand range without getting chewed up too badly on the approach. You often end up rolling a huge fistful of dice, more than you might in a regular phase of shooting, which also increases the casualty count. And as mentioned, SMGs in close assault are also incredibly nasty.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Fish and Chimps posted:

You MUST take pictures when you receive them. I never knew you could even get them. Well, the Danish side at least. It is such an obscure war. For anyone not-Danish. :denmark:

OMG! You can even get both sides of the First Prussian War/Three-years-war!

I've got you fam

EDIT: While i wait for my return to 1864, have some british tanks!

so many tanks.... i've got 4 still unprimed, of which two are Firefly VC. in order to completely fill a british armored list i need a whole two more tanks! i'm not sure if it's the correct shade of green, but it fit the one in the painting guide from Open fire! (it's Vallejo surface primer UK Bronze green)

Also, the 2012 openfire shermans look prettier once primed!

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 6, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
BA minis look kinda goofy are there any good looking 28mm WW2

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Phi230 posted:

Perry does some nice Desert Rats and Afrikacorps.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

Crusader, Artizan, and Black Tree are all nice, if a bit heroic in proportions.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Polikarpov posted:

Perry does some nice Desert Rats and Afrikacorps.

Foundry also does some of the old Perry WW2 stuff as well which are some amazing figures.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh man, I forgot those old Foundry miniatures. A friend of mine bought a company worth of Britsh Paras and used them as Imperial Guard way back when. They were great.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm looking to play In Her Majesty's Name and want generically "Victorian era" military figures so I can steam punk them up a bit and make models I can stand to look at rather than some of the top hat wearing multi barrel laser musket wielding minis I keep finding. Does anyone have a bits box of appropriate minis and parts? Most minis I find for military stuff is in large box sets, or pricy metal singles.

Failing that, thoughts on finding pseudo-historical minis or convertible military minis on the cheap?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm looking to play In Her Majesty's Name and want generically "Victorian era" military figures so I can steam punk them up a bit and make models I can stand to look at rather than some of the top hat wearing multi barrel laser musket wielding minis I keep finding. Does anyone have a bits box of appropriate minis and parts? Most minis I find for military stuff is in large box sets, or pricy metal singles.

Failing that, thoughts on finding pseudo-historical minis or convertible military minis on the cheap?

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3454&osCsid=ijs16u985lmqba4crr2fb6pqu6

Victorian era brits. Its 20 pound, which is what I guess you'd pay for a small handful of metal singles.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Indolent Bastard posted:

http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/victorian-guard-riflemen-complete-10-man-squad-resin

These already have a bit of a sci-fi flavour to them, but she does amazing work. You can also buy individual bits from a bunch of her different ranges.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Not sure if the warlord sprue sale is still on but as of a week ago you could get individual sprues for a couple bucks each, including British Zulu war minis which would probably work for what you need.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Warlord brits are half kneeling, half standing, if that matters.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there anywhere in the US to get Perry miniatures that's cheaper than The Warstore? It's actually cheaper to get stuff directly from the Perry Bros website with the current exchange rate.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Is there anywhere in the US to get Perry miniatures that's cheaper than The Warstore? It's actually cheaper to get stuff directly from the Perry Bros website with the current exchange rate.

Weirdly enough the answer is Warlord. They stock most of their plastic range and some of the metals.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Class Warcraft posted:

Not sure if the warlord sprue sale is still on but as of a week ago you could get individual sprues for a couple bucks each, including British Zulu war minis which would probably work for what you need.

It is and I grabbed some dudes. Thanks!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also for whoever was asking about 15mm Chinese for WWII, you could also get away with using late war WWI Germans as long as they had the short rifles and the puttee. The Plastic Soldier Company ones are pretty decent but kinda expensive for 15mm: http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=163_159&products_id=1095

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ilor posted:

Crusader, Artizan, and Black Tree are all nice, if a bit heroic in proportions.

How do you mean heroic?