Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Go for it dude, it's not a Skaven army if every warmachine doesn't have the potential to go haywire and mulch a swarm or two of clanrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there a conversion chart for square to round bases somewhere? Mainly I was wondering for some Stormfiends. It seems like they could be either 60mm or 50mm.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DJ Dizzy posted:

I took the icy cold plunge and ordered one half of the spire of dawn box. The skaven half. Now, I'm gonna get atleast 20 stormvermin, but are doomwheels worth it?

It's important to provide your rats with activities and enrichment like a wheel.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

I took the icy cold plunge and ordered one half of the spire of dawn box. The skaven half. Now, I'm gonna get atleast 20 stormvermin, but are doomwheels worth it?

Make sure to take a look at the start collecting boxes, if memory serves one or them includes a doom wheel which surely means considerable savings if you like the other things in the box.

Have you considered keeping multiple games in mind when basing them?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MCPeePants posted:

Make sure to take a look at the start collecting boxes, if memory serves one or them includes a doom wheel which surely means considerable savings if you like the other things in the box.

Nope. Plague Monks, Plague Furnace, Plagueclaw.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MCPeePants posted:

Honestly it's permanently multi-basing for Kings of War that stops models from being used in other games, not sticking them on round bases. If he wanted to use the models in more than just AoS, all he would need is a movement tray and they make them with round slots for just this reason.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Floppychop posted:

Is there a conversion chart for square to round bases somewhere? Mainly I was wondering for some Stormfiends. It seems like they could be either 60mm or 50mm.

A lot of the conversion charts I've seen have seemed to err on the larger side when making choices. That being said, here's one: http://plastickrak.blogspot.ca/2015/07/age-of-sigmar-base-conversion-chart.html?m=1

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Nope. Plague Monks, Plague Furnace, Plagueclaw.

Huh, I thought there was one with clanrats and a cannon. My bad!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly it's permanently multi-basing for Kings of War that stops models from being used in other games, not sticking them on round bases. If he wanted to use the models in more than just AoS, all he would need is a movement tray and they make them with round slots for just this reason.

Warhammer Fantasy or 9th Age is the most restrictive on a per-model basis though. Round slotted movement tray works fine for KoW where model count doesn't really matter, but if those rats are on 25mm round bases then his regiments will be too large, which might be legal but will generally be a disadvantage? I guess what I'm saying is putting them on 20mm squares is the least restrictive option.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Plagueclaw is a duel kit with the Warp Lighting Cannon (same with Furnace/Screaming bell).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Plagueclaw is a duel kit with the Warp Lighting Cannon (same with Furnace/Screaming bell).

The cannon would definitely win that duel.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I should really stop and read what I'm about to post shouldn't I?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

Oh, that's cool. I don't like Pestilens so that makes the start collecting box much more appealing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MCPeePants posted:

Warhammer Fantasy or 9th Age is the most restrictive on a per-model basis though. Round slotted movement tray works fine for KoW where model count doesn't really matter, but if those rats are on 25mm round bases then his regiments will be too large, which might be legal but will generally be a disadvantage? I guess what I'm saying is putting them on 20mm squares is the least restrictive option.

Ah I see what you're saying. With model count not mattering in KoW, if he based on 25mm, so long as he could hit the minimum required for a unit (6 for a troop, 11 for a regiment, 21 for a horde, 31 for a legion) it wouldn't matter how big the circles were. Sure it wouldn't work for Warhammer Fantasy or 9th Age, but one is dead and the other no one plays.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Skeleton horde grows. Decided to just do a basic sand base. Going to order my many ovals off of eBay when I can find a decent seller who doesn't charge a million dollars for shipping to Canada.

This .40 cents on the US dollar is killing my love of online deal hunting.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone know the canon colors for the different Skaven clans?

Also still unsure how I want to base these wahhhh.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There was a Skaven heraldry book at one point that's probably got some scans floating around, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. I think Mors was that default red scheme they used for the studio army?

Best to figure out what scheme you want to use before you chose the basing, gotta co-ordinate your rat-barbies.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I don't have my copy of that any more but off the top of my head..
Skryre was semi-officially the studio dark red scheme for a while, eshin is obviously black because ninjas, pestilens was general grubby green/brown nurgle poo poo while moulder was dark green?

Lesser clans were p much whatever. Mors was red armour, Rictus had black armour and lots of black/white checker patterns, Ektrik had shiny brass armour and green robes, Septik was white robes with hella rusty metal.

then there were the gimmick clans like the guys with white fur in black robes covered in skeleton bits, the ones who lived under marienburg and wore fancy purple/yellow scraps and the crazy dirt poor piebald guys who pretended they were all grey seers and stuck pretend horns on their heads.

canon colours were never a big deal like they were with other factions tho, especially since each big clan had loads of thrall clans who were all totally different.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 8, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Crossposting.

SteelMentor posted:

That's a big bird.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thanks guys. I like red that the house painting tends to use on Skaven. I want my force to be mostly Skyre and Moulder but will probably have a mix of all four.

Also the basing thing was waffling more over round or square bases.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I LOVE that new Lord of Change. The head and staff are awesome. I was hoping for a Magnus dual kit, but this is so much better.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
This new kit is also a dual kit with Kiaros, plus all the typical aesthetic options.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

This new kit is also a dual kit with Kiaros, plus all the typical aesthetic options.

Good cause I was like, this is cool but it's not kairos

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Wasn't there a yellow clan?

Eshin looks better in mostly grey-blue anyway. That's what you'd actually sneak around in. Black is purely for the tryhard assassins and maybe gutter runners if you really want stereotypical useless ninjas. You want the colors light enough so you can make the rats' rags look appropriately filthy.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Pvt.Scott posted:

Wasn't there a yellow clan?

You may be thinking of Veer-Myn:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Some of the new Pestillians stuff is picked out in a bubonic yellow-brown.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nah. Maybe yellow was just a color that cropped up a lot in the old rear end studio clanrat units or something, or that's just what I decided to go with when I was 12 or whatever.

I'm talking about maybe 20 years ago.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
The heraldry book has clan Skurvy, which has filthy yellow cloth. They are the pirate clan

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Black_Nexus posted:

The heraldry book has clan Skurvy, which has filthy yellow cloth. They are the pirate clan

Are they from Man O War?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Getting an old army book on eBay for like 5bux might be worth it to look at schemes/fluff. I did for my Empire dudes.

Also that new LoC looks like an amazing model that I'd absolutely hate painting.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Pvt.Scott posted:

Are they from Man O War?

Nah, they made them up in 8th. They are just in the heraldry book and mentioned in some of the fluff

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is the Khorgorath available outside the AoS box?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Is the Khorgorath available outside the AoS box?

There's this guy from Forgeworld https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Skaarac-the-Bloodborn (which is expensive and large but actually a competent sculpt) but outside of people splitting the starter box, no.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zark the Damned posted:

There's this guy from Forgeworld https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Skaarac-the-Bloodborn (which is expensive and large but actually a competent sculpt) but outside of people splitting the starter box, no.
Nah, I don't like the Forge World one, too bad I want nothing from the rest of the AoS box. I imagine it wouldn't be too too difficult to find someone with one on sprue though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

mango sentinel posted:

Nah, I don't like the Forge World one, too bad I want nothing from the rest of the AoS box. I imagine it wouldn't be too too difficult to find someone with one on sprue though.

You can get them on Ebay cheap as hell. Quick look is telling me around £15 ($18) before P&P.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Skaarac is huge. I have him. He's knight sized and wouldn't work as a regular khorgorath.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You can get them on Ebay cheap as hell. Quick look is telling me around £15 ($18) before P&P.
:thumbsup:

I just liked Khorgoroth because I saw Duncan's tutorial and liked the model. While I guess I could field one alongside my Skaven, I specifically wanted that model, not a stand in for the unit in my army.

That said, do you guys have any quick list suggestions for Skaven army that is attempting to avoid Pestilens units? I've currently only got the Isle of Blood guys and a Doomwheel and want to know what's worth picking up from there.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

mango sentinel posted:

:thumbsup:

I just liked Khorgoroth because I saw Duncan's tutorial and liked the model. While I guess I could field one alongside my Skaven, I specifically wanted that model, not a stand in for the unit in my army.

That said, do you guys have any quick list suggestions for Skaven army that is attempting to avoid Pestilens units? I've currently only got the Isle of Blood guys and a Doomwheel and want to know what's worth picking up from there.

Stormfiends, stormvermin, The skaven with rifles.

The abomination is great too.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Leaks of the second wave of Tzeentch stuff.

Kairos:

Changeling:

Tzaangor Mounted Archers:

Tzaangor Cavalry:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Not too fussed about goats on discs, but holy poo poo the other stuff is :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Better pics from the WC site: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/14/more-change-is-on-the-way/

• Locked thread