Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

IGgy IGsen's one is really good, as usual. No link, but YouTube it.

Someone recommending my LP. What a nice Christmas present. (We celebrate today in Germany)

Have a link.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780501

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Add the FFTA one to the list while you're at it.

I just read through it recently and watching him steal everything into oblivion is goddamn amazing, so I'd recommend it as well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's probably a bit premature, but I really want to suggest you to watch a staring LP.
Dan and Grace in their absolute sheer insanity decided to LP a party game called Dokapon Kingdom. This is the game you'd play if you find Mario Party to short, balanced and fair. Imagine a multiplayer RPG where you can grind for dozens of hours only to lose it all with a bad decision, because another player screws you over or simply because the RGN hates you.
And the RNG certainly does hate them. Just check this handy graph at the end of the first video.

That's the AI player who is set to easy.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good LP of the first Witcher?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good LP of the first Witcher?

I'm gonna quote myself from last year:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mr. Odd's run of the game. It's not a ridiculously comprehensive LP as he goes in blind; he misses some stuff here and there (like the "best" resolution to a quest, and pretty sure some other stuff I didn't know existed), but I think it's worth recommending if you just want to see how the story goes.
I usually shy away from blind LPs, but I like this guy's style and I think most of his stuff is quite good in a "guy figuring out a game" way without being obnoxious.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Got gifted Desktop Dungeons for Christmas and after exhausting the wiki for tips I found a nice strategic commentary playthrough of it on youtube I think is entertaining on it's own, felt the need to share the playlist and to ask for similar LPs with almost over-qualified players that casually use phrases like "xp cannon" and "blackspace usage" and have strong opinions on optimal potion usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZQSbLfT4xs&index=1&list=PLorMLqq9ehPqG3sXCcna3p9gKgkIXiOP_

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I just talked a friend of mine into getting Bloodborne. He's a little new to the whole Souls-style gameplay,and needs some pointers. Any good noob-friendly Bloodborne LPs? Preferably informative ones,and devoid of facecams if at all possible.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

VolticSurge posted:

I just talked a friend of mine into getting Bloodborne. He's a little new to the whole Souls-style gameplay,and needs some pointers. Any good noob-friendly Bloodborne LPs? Preferably informative ones,and devoid of facecams if at all possible.
Genocyber's is very good. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736613&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Alright,he's found it very helpful. Thanks!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FutureFriend posted:

Men Drinking Coffee are the funniest people on LP

I hope they continue doing a Minority Report LP because that game looks prime their wheelhouse

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Has someone been brave enough to do a Talisman LP?

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Anyone got any links to the old Wonder Boy series for the Master System/Genesis?

There was some listed in the master list

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2451458

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2475290

But those videos were hosted on google video and are long gone!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a good Pokemon Uranium LP anywhere?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CrazySalamander posted:

Is there a good Pokemon Uranium LP anywhere?

TieTuesday did one recently.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks! His complaining about money does kind of get annoying given that he skips almost every trainer he can though.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

CrazySalamander posted:

Thanks! His complaining about money does kind of get annoying given that he skips almost every trainer he can though.

Here's a spoiler:

Uranium is not a good game.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It doesn't really appear to be, no. But it does provide some interesting insight into the blind spots that people can develop when they spend too much time on something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I recently fell into the pit that is 4X games - Civ V, Endless Legend - and well. Now I want to learn how to play them. What are the best LPs for these games - or, hell, let's throw the net wider: what are the best LPs of 4X games? On SA, off SA, I don't care, I want to see good 4X play!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 6, 2017

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I recent fell into the pit that is 4X games - Civ V, Endless Legend - and well. Now I want to learn how to play them. What are the best LPs for these games - or, hell, let's throw the net wider: what are the best LPs of 4X games? On SA, off SA, I don't care, I want to see good 4X play!

For raw mechanics, Sulla is one of your best bets. He does similar stuff for a ton of other games. His writing is a tad dry, but he does a great job at explaining why he does things and the math behind them.

No link because the browser doesn't like linking to his website, but if you google Sullla plays (with three Ls) you should find his website and youtube channel pretty easily. I prefer his writing over his videos though.

Galick fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 6, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's likely better, more in-depth options out there, but Smite's old Civ V streams did a pretty good job of getting me acclimated to the game. They're not dedicated how-to-play videos, and he optimizes for the higher difficulties, but nevertheless they helped elucidate what kind of goals (victory type, primary resources, religion, etc.) you should be shooting for, which the game itself never really codifies and was the sort of big picture stuff I always had trouble grokking.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

There's likely better, more in-depth options out there, but Smite's old Civ V streams did a pretty good job of getting me acclimated to the game. They're not dedicated how-to-play videos, and he optimizes for the higher difficulties, but nevertheless they helped elucidate what kind of goals (victory type, primary resources, religion, etc.) you should be shooting for, which the game itself never really codifies and was the sort of big picture stuff I always had trouble grokking.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for - laid back, informative. Thanks!

Galick posted:

For raw mechanics, Sulla is one of your best bets. He does similar stuff for a ton of other games. His writing is a tad dry, but he does a great job at explaining why he does things and the math behind them.

No link because the browser doesn't like linking to his website, but if you google Sullla plays (with three Ls) you should find his website and youtube channel pretty easily. I prefer his writing over his videos though.

Found 'em! His website reminds me of the early 2000s and it's great. :allears: I bounced off the videos, but it's a good resource for later, and I'll dig into it happily.

To return the favor, my friend's husband loves Civ and apparently watches a ton of this guy - he plays at high-levels, explains things at a high-level - decently grokable at my level.

I now have hours and hours of things to watch, which is great! Always looking for more recs, though, if folks have 'em!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to report: Smite's Byzantines video has been muted: and now I can't watch it. :(

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to report: Smite's Byzantines video has been muted: and now I can't watch it. :(

Yeah it's a shame, especially as that was early on and more hand-holdy about the basics, but as someone that has watched the entire playlist, I can let you know that no other videos are muted (he turned game music down as that's what got it pulled) As other civs he specifically aims for different win conditions which makes him re-emphasize on the basics so you aren't really missing much.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any good and complete LP of Kingdom, either in SA or somewhere else?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Does anyone have any good Blind Let's Plays of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? Preferably played by someone familiar with Digimon already.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Are there any good LPs of Bravely Default? Couldn't find any on SA.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Does anyone know of an lp for star ruler 2? On site or off as long as the player knows what they are doing would be fine.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone know of a non-annoying Tattletail LP? I'd love to see it played but I dislike scarecams

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone know of a non-annoying Tattletail LP? I'd love to see it played but I dislike scarecams
I find HarshlyCritical's LP of it fairly low key and not annoying; sadly there is a scarecam but it's not terribly obtrusive.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Any others? I actually find him really annoying.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Any LPs on this board that cover Witcher 3? I was just reading Cool Ghost's FFVIII LP and thought that such a writing style would suit Witcher 3 very well.

Also I want to see a reboot of that LBJ/Reagan CYOA that DnD experimented last year.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Any LPs on this board that cover Witcher 3? I was just reading Cool Ghost's FFVIII LP and thought that such a writing style would suit Witcher 3 very well.

Also I want to see a reboot of that LBJ/Reagan CYOA that DnD experimented last year.

flamedrake's doing a VLP Blood and Wine, but not Witcher 3 itself.

The Witcher 3 seems to still be suffering from the stigma of being one of those games that people stubbornly believe is just "too big to LP." No one else has really tried it here except for a pair of weird facecam dudebros who got laughed off the forums for being terrible :shrug:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Sadly,only LP I can recommend of that game is the one by ChristopherOdd,a non-Goon. It's not pro strats or anything,but he's clearly a big fan of the lore and actually tries to pay attention to the dialogue,and he tries to think poo poo through based on what the game gives him. Also,he's not a facecam guy and his voice isn't grating,which are both a big plus.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Any videos or preferably series where a pro player 'smurfs' against lower skilled opponents and pretty much destroys them, while providing commentary?

I know a lot of this goes on in MOBAs but I've seen all the dota ones and probably wouldn't care for other MOBAs personally. I'm sure this goes on in other games too though?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
If you're interested in Rocket League at all, Gibbs0o0 is a Rocket League ex-pro (all the actual pros are 17 and he's too old to keep up with their reflexes) who did a series based on that idea, to show how you make progress in a team game if your teammates are earnestly useless or actively obstructive. Started off as Playing With Potatoes, where he starts a fresh account to play through Ranked from the very lowest level, handicaps himself by only using the most basic tools, and still destroys his way through the first like six tiers of players.

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011

Powerfrog posted:

Any videos or preferably series where a pro player 'smurfs' against lower skilled opponents and pretty much destroys them, while providing commentary?

I know a lot of this goes on in MOBAs but I've seen all the dota ones and probably wouldn't care for other MOBAs personally. I'm sure this goes on in other games too though?

James315 does a nice job of this in Battlefield 1942.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

TheDarkFlame posted:

Gibbs0o0 is a Rocket League ex-pro who did a series... Playing With Potatoes

Thanks. I'm already 6 episodes deep and I can't believe how entertaining I find this. I really love how he's so calmly confident without being demeaning to anyone else. It's refreshing to see a smurf actually acknowledge his teammates are not to be trusted and that's perfectly fine.

Nero Angelo posted:

James315 does a nice job of this in Battlefield 1942.

Ahh yeah this is the first thing I thought of when I asked the question, another instance of a chill guy not being upset at his allies.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Does anyone know of a good Anachronox playthrough with someone going into a lot of detail and is generally chill/pleasant to listen to?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You folks really owe it to yourselves to check out Melth's Age of Mythology LP. It's a great RTS with a really fun campaign - unless you play it on the stupidly unfair highest difficulty. Melth does and breaks the thing over his knee, all the while being extremely informative on game mechanics, strategies and historical and mythological background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember that Let's Play of the Falkland's Islands in the 80's in a board game? That was such a good loving game and LP.