Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

pr0zac posted:

Lmao you don't understand statistics and still think you have a chance of being a good programmer.

Please, either you make 500k a year or you don't. That's 50/50 odds buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Please, either you make 500k a year or you don't. That's 50/50 odds buddy.

This doesnt sound right but I dont know enough about science to dispute it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They seem to have the ego of someone making 500k a year and they have the survivorship bias in spades... but I am somehow still a little skeptical of their claims in general

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't think I'm bootstrappy enough for this thread anymore.

That check scam one is pure fukken magic though. I don't even know if it counts as scam since he straight up gave his banking info away, but alas.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's a scam, for sure, but he's blatantly culpable in it so he won't get reimbursed.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

It's a scam, for sure, but he's blatantly culpable in it so he won't get reimbursed.

It's basically this with a 2017 flavor

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait, is 500k now rich?

I wish we'd decide this before Trumpocalypse hits and 'rich' just means two-ply toilet paper.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wait, is 500k now rich?

I wish we'd decide this before Trumpocalypse hits and 'rich' just means two-ply toilet paper.

I think it's more if you make less than 500K obviously you aren't trying.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wait, is 500k now rich?

Anything above basic subsistence level is rich, yes, didn't you get the memo?

EDIT:

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's kind of weird, the only advice that doesn't get shouted down is "buy index funds" and "think longer term". Essentially any other advice is bad or even the dreaded "timing the market" (gasp!)

The only advice that doesn't get shouted down is the literal good advice

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Lotta high income goons in this thread who have weird issues just admitting that being in the top 1% of Households in the richest country on earth does in fact make them rich.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Lotta high income goons in this thread who have weird issues just admitting that being in the top 1% of Households in the richest country on earth does in fact make them rich.

I can't tell if this is the worst thread on SA or not. I mean I post in it so probably.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
While objectively true yes making in the hundreds of thousands in annual household income means you are in the highest percentage of earners worldwide in history, it does not automatically come with the very loaded connotations of the word "rich", as though you don't work hard for a living, don't have to make decisions with regard to your long term financial well being, and have piles of money laying around to buy any trifling thing you want and that you would never miss.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

While objectively true yes making in the hundreds of thousands in annual household income means you are in the highest percentage of earners worldwide in history, it does not automatically come with the very loaded connotations of the word "rich", as though you don't work hard for a living, don't have to make decisions with regard to your long term financial well being, and have piles of money laying around to buy any trifling thing you want and that you would never miss.

So did you buy the 911 yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah you're rich if you make 500k/year. If you can't manage that money well enough to basically buy whatever you want whenever you want short of a mega-yacht you're bad with money.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

This guy, basically: http://www.businessinsider.com/i-am-the-super-rich-and-i-cant-afford-obamas-tax-hike-2010-9

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Very loaded connotations indeed.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

We already had a lovely income-vs-wealth derail last month, it's too soon for a repeat.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Those poor Henrys and their hundreds of thousands of income.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
For some people, no amount of (likely, attainable) income will make them feel rich.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Mocking Bird posted:

For some people, no amount of (likely, attainable) income will make them feel rich.

Reminds me of a quote I read about Larry Ellison a long time ago:

quote:

“You have to turn to Melville for an adequate parallel,” marvels Nathan Myhrvold, the Microsoft chief technology officer, who serves as Gates’s idea man. “This is an ego thing. Larry is a very successful guy, Oracle is a superstrong company in this one narrow area, the database sector. Yet he’s utterly obsessed with trying to beat Bill Gates, like it’s some big competition. I mean, the guy’s got six billion bucks. You’d think he wouldn’t be so dramatically obsessed that one guy in the Northwest is more successful. [With Larry] it’s just a mania.”

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sentence: guillotine.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

adhuin posted:

Those poor Henrys and their hundreds of thousands of income.

You can't post this and not the guillotine follow-up.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

cowofwar posted:

You can't post this and not the guillotine follow-up.

Original is much more funny, because it isn't meant to be joke.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

How to buy a Lamborghini without being a millionaire:

quote:

The financing that you didn’t know existed
Most people think of financing in the sense of traditionally putting 20% down, and paying a note over 60 months in order to pay off their car. Traditionally this makes sense as your goal is to pay off the car faster than it depreciates, so a good down payment and higher payments will get you there.
In the case of an older Lamborghini over five years old that has already eaten its time depreciation, it doesn’t make sense to jeopardize your cash flow. The car won’t depreciate anymore based on time, but only based on mileage and condition. There are many places that allow financing up to 72/84 months based on the exotic and low mileage nature of a Lamborghini.
If financing a $100,000 Gallardo, your typical thinking is to put at least $20,000 down in cash and then pay somewhere around $1,500 a month for 60 months. That is steep for most people, and while I wish it wasn’t the case for most, it is simply hard to let go of $20,000 cash and take on a $1,500 payment which is similar to a mortgage.
The alternative is the ability to finance the same $100,000 with $0 down and 84 month financing. Now, the same car only costs $1,100 a month with no cash out of pocket. Still fairly steep, but a lot better. While you may pay $1,100 x 12 each year, the car no longer depreciates; therefore, all you are doing is simply paying yourself.

quote:

Find a car in a desirable color. The best colors for the Gallardo in order of resale value are as follows in order: Green, Orange, White, Yellow, Silver, Gray, Blue, and then Black. While you may want to keep your Lambo forever, you will quickly realize why many dump them so quickly.

quote:

Examine the interior trim and buttons even on low mileage cars. Most Lamborghinis were made with Audi parts, which means cheap plastic is present in many areas of the car, especially in 2004-2006 models. The plastic button controls get worn out quickly; and even though everything may look great in images, it can be costly to replace and disappointing in person as the [b]plastic turns sticky and uncomfortable to operate.

quote:

Exotic cars are high-dollar cars and repairs are not cheap if they occur, so while there is some risk of a few expenses, there is also the ability to write off any problems that occur with the car as well as the car itself as an asset.
Leverage creating a blog to review cars, make a conscious effort to market it, and ensure cars you buy are listed on there with case studies, etc.
More importantly, reimburse yourself the payments because you are using the car for business purposes. This gives you yet another gain and reason to buy yourself the Lamborghini of your dreams.

It doesn't sound like the author even likes Lamborghinis

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Unless I'm being really stupid, 100,000 / 84 is 1,190 not 1,100 - and that's assuming zero interest which I can't see happening?

Edit: That's if you accept someone considering financing a $100,000 used super car should be in a position to worry about a difference of $300 a month

Jan 11, 2004

Begall posted:

Unless I'm being really stupid, 100,000 / 84 is 1,190 not 1,100 - and that's assuming zero interest which I can't see happening?

Edit: That's if you accept someone considering financing a $100,000 used super car should be in a position to worry about a difference of $300 a month

Yes, the interest is not trivial, insurance on exotic cars tends to be pricey, and almost all bottomed out supercars still depreciate and incur maintenance expenses by the mile. Saying "all you are doing is paying yourself" by paying down an 84 month exotic car loan is like maxing out your credit card, paying the minimum every month and reasoning that you're only paying yourself.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Boy howdy if I just make a blog about something I spend money on I can deduct it from my taxes? Brb starting a blog about my house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

incur maintenance expenses by the mile.

A 7,500 mile service is like $1500 and a 15k mile service is more like $2500. With $300+ a piece tires that last for 10k on a good day (at least int he back). And $7k+ for a clutch because you don't actually know how to drive it.

One of my friends bought one and got rid of it rather quickly. No, a blog to "write it off" nor financing was necessary so it wasn't a total disaster, but even for someone who could genuinely afford the thing it was just......not good enough to be worth the trouble and expense to drive with any regularity. At that point, why own the car?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im moving and into a "first apartment" i guess and going thorugh trying to budget and oh boy how do people manage to live without earnign $20/hr

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Very debtfully

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

im moving and into a "first apartment" i guess and going thorugh trying to budget and oh boy how do people manage to live without earnign $20/hr

With roommates :-\

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i guess if you're making minimum payments it aint all that bad but still shiiiittt

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
"Minimum payments?"

The way to live on <$20/hr is with no debt.

Jan 11, 2004

Motronic posted:

A 7,500 mile service is like $1500 and a 15k mile service is more like $2500. With $300+ a piece tires that last for 10k on a good day (at least int he back). And $7k+ for a clutch because you don't actually know how to drive it.

One of my friends bought one and got rid of it rather quickly. No, a blog to "write it off" nor financing was necessary so it wasn't a total disaster, but even for someone who could genuinely afford the thing it was just......not good enough to be worth the trouble and expense to drive with any regularity. At that point, why own the car?

So he understands the hard way how high maintenance $300,000 exotic sports cars can depreciate $220,000 of those fine American dollars in 8-10 years

Jan 11, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

Boy howdy if I just make a blog about something I spend money on I can deduct it from my taxes? Brb starting a blog about my house.

There are a good handful "supercar lifestyle" YouTube kids that I can only imagine are writing off the payments on their used Lamborghinis and car show traveling as business expenses

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saeku posted:

"Minimum payments?"

The way to live on <$20/hr is with no debt.

I don't even know how that is possible if you want to own some kind of reliable car.

It's mind boggling to me when you see poor people with brand new trucks also; those things are atleast $500 a month and there's no way they're making THAT much.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Mostly in poverty.

In practice it usually means roommates or housing outside of complexes, buying everything you can used and cutting your spending to the bone (then boiling those bones to make broth to get to your next paycheck)

Ask: me about supporting a family of three on $16/hr

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's rough man. especially since most entry level jobs are $10/hr or LESS. how is anyone supposed to get by on that?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
They really aren't meant to be driven on the road in the first place. Given the constraints of street driving, there is a limit as to how much power and speed you can reasonably use, and you can get to that limit for under $100k. Supercars are pure status symbols unless you spend significant time at a racetrack, and even then, it takes a skilled track driver to get the most out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Live in a cheap area, find really small places to live, account for every dollar. I make around $13/hr after mandatory deductions (not including tax).

Can't imagine trying to raise a family on $15/hr though.

• Locked thread