Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I GOT BORED SO HERE'S A BREAKDOWN OF THE STUDIOS FOR THE 73 ANIME THAT GOT VOTES

Bones: 5 (Snow White, Stray Dogs, Concrete Revolutio, Boku no Hero Academia, Mob Psycho)

J.C. Staff: 4 (Heavy Object, Shokugeki no Soma, Saiki, Flying Witch)
Deen: 4 (Sakamoto, Tonkatsu DJ, Rakugou, Konosuba)
Sunrise: 4 (Akito the Exiled, Gundam Thunderbolt, Ironblooded Orphans, Love Live Sunshine)

Shuka: 3 (Durarara, Natsume Yuujinchou, 91 Days)
A-1 Pictures: 3 (Qualidea Code, Grimgar, ERASED)
Production I.G.: 3 (Joker Game, Amanchu, Haikyuu)
Silver Link: 3 (Anne Happy, Magic of Stella, Tanaka-kun)

Telecom: 2 (Orange, Lupin)
Satelight: 2 (Momokuri, Macross Delta)
Toei: 2 (Sailor Moon Crystal, Princess Precure)
Millepensee: 2 (Teekyu, Berserk)
Creators in Pack: 2 (Ojisan to Marshmallow, Miss Bernard)
TMS: 2 (ReLIFE, Sweetness and Lightning)
Doga Kobo: 2 (Three Leaves, New Game)
Bandai Namco Pictures: 2 (Gintama, Aikatsu Stars)
P.A. Works: 2 (Kuromukuro, Haruchika)
LIDENFILMS: 2 (Sekkou Boys, Poco's Udon World)
Diomedea: 2 (Mayoiga, Girlish Number)
David Production: 2 (Planetarian, Jojo's)
feel.: 2 (Galko, Dagashi Kashi)
Trigger: 2 (Kiznaiver, Luluco)

Shin-Ei: 1 (Shin Atashin'chi)
Xebec: 1 (Keijo)
3hz: 1 (Flipflappers)
KyoAni: 1 (Euphonium)
Mappa: 1 (Yuri On Ice)
Pili International: 1 (Thunderbolt Fantasy)
Lerche: 1 (Magical GIrl Raising Project)
White Fox: 1 (Re:Zero)
Pine Jam: 1 (Tawawa)
Hoods: 1 (Drifters)
Kinema Citrus: 1 (Ping Pong Girls)
Shaft: 1 (Koyomimonogatari)
Pierrot: 1 (Osomatsu)
Fanworks: 1 (Hagane Orchestra)
Zexcs: 1 (Fune wo Amu)
Brain's Base: 1 (Kiss Him Not Me)

For a total of 37 studios.

TAKEAWAYS

Bones was a clear winner, but special mention has to go to Deen: Of their four shows on the list, the lowest was Sakamoto, at 23rd place. Meanwhile, Bones had a show that only received 1 vote (Snow White) and a show that only received 2 votes (Stray Dogs).

No studio had 2 shows in the top 10.

Of the 10 studios in the top 10, 5 only have one show on the entire list. Quality over quantity?

Despite being a major and critically acclaimed studio with 2 shows this year, Ufotable failed to make an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

Despite being a major and critically acclaimed studio with 2 shows this year, Ufotable failed to make an appearance.

Both were video game adaptations (Tales and God Eater, right?), so I guess I'm not too surprised by this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Threw the scores from the current version of the spreadsheet into a principle components analysis:

The red arrows are shows, with long arrows being the especially popular ones that aren't predicted by liking other shows. Roughly speaking, if you're aligned to particular shows you liked them, and arrows that are close to each other represents shows that if you liked one, you probably liked the other. If you are close to someone on this chart you have similar tastes. If you are miles from everyone you're strange.

Unfortunately I don't necessarily believe in the scores right now. For me at least it's put me in the wrong way round.... OTOH I can believe that there's the quadrant of yuri (on and off the Ice to the top left, and I am solidly in it...)

This chart below is just with whether people top-5ed a show or not

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

z0glin Warchief posted:

Both were video game adaptations (Tales and God Eater, right?), so I guess I'm not too surprised by this.

I heard God Eater was a shitshow and Zestiria X just started the 2nd part of the show.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Endorph posted:

I GOT BORED SO HERE'S A BREAKDOWN OF THE STUDIOS FOR THE 73 ANIME THAT GOT VOTES

TAKEAWAYS

Bones was a clear winner, but special mention has to go to Deen: Of their four shows on the list, the lowest was Sakamoto, at 23rd place. Meanwhile, Bones had a show that only received 1 vote (Snow White) and a show that only received 2 votes (Stray Dogs).

Of the 10 studios in the top 10, 5 only have one show on the entire list. Quality over quantity?

Can you weight these by the number of votes each studio got? Just asking before I start typing studio names into the spreadsheet!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Bones: 5 (Snow White, Stray Dogs, Concrete Revolutio, Boku no Hero Academia, Mob Psycho)

J.C. Staff: 4 (Heavy Object, Shokugeki no Soma, Saiki, Flying Witch)
Deen: 4 (Sakamoto, Tonkatsu DJ, Rakugou, Konosuba)
Sunrise: 4 (Akito the Exiled, Gundam Thunderbolt, Ironblooded Orphans, Love Live Sunshine)

Shuka: 3 (Durarara, Natsume Yuujinchou, 91 Days)
A-1 Pictures: 3 (Qualidea Code, Grimgar, ERASED)
Production I.G.: 3 (Joker Game, Amanchu, Haikyuu)
Silver Link: 3 (Anne Happy, Magic of Stella, Tanaka-kun)

Telecom: 2 (Orange, Lupin)
Satelight: 2 (Momokuri, Macross Delta)
Toei: 2 (Sailor Moon Crystal, Princess Precure)
Millepensee: 2 (Teekyu, Berserk)
Creators in Pack: 2 (Ojisan to Marshmallow, Miss Bernard)
TMS: 2 (ReLIFE, Sweetness and Lightning)
Doga Kobo: 2 (Three Leaves, New Game)
Bandai Namco Pictures: 2 (Gintama, Aikatsu Stars)
P.A. Works: 2 (Kuromukuro, Haruchika)
LIDENFILMS: 2 (Sekkou Boys, Poco's Udon World)
Diomedea: 2 (Mayoiga, Girlish Number)
David Production: 2 (Planetarian, Jojo's)
feel.: 2 (Galko, Dagashi Kashi)
Trigger: 2 (Kiznaiver, Luluco)

Shin-Ei: 1 (Shin Atashin'chi)
Xebec: 1 (Keijo)
3hz: 1 (Flipflappers)
KyoAni: 1 (Euphonium)
Mappa: 1 (Yuri On Ice)
Pili International: 1 (Thunderbolt Fantasy)
Lerche: 1 (Magical GIrl Raising Project)
White Fox: 1 (Re:Zero)
Pine Jam: 1 (Tawawa)
Hoods: 1 (Drifters)
Kinema Citrus: 1 (Ping Pong Girls)
Shaft: 1 (Koyomimonogatari)
Pierrot: 1 (Osomatsu)
Fanworks: 1 (Hagane Orchestra)
Zexcs: 1 (Fune wo Amu)
Brain's Base: 1 (Kiss Him Not Me)

For a total of 37 studios.

TAKEAWAYS

At last, empirical evidence that the DEEN meme must die.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

AnacondaHL posted:

The moral of the story: if you guys want neat-o scoring and tie-breakers stuff, it doesn't really matter what system you use, but be clear about the rules upfront!

Also: if you really want to, for posterity, as long as you don't change your Top 5 votes, you can order them now! Just let me know and I'll apply it to the data! edit: it's a little cheesy though since the results have already been posted, but whatevs

I had altered the order of my vote, but it looks like it wasnt adjusted for the spreadsheet. I'll copy it here for reference

1. ReLife
2. Haikyuu
3. Erased
4. Eupho s2
5. PSI Saiki

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

At last, empirical evidence that the DEEN meme must die.

The new Deen meme is that Deen is cool and makes great shows.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

hmm, only mob psycho 100 and re: zero are on my planning to watch list now. i didn't expect to already have so much overlap with the top ten.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

hmm, only mob psycho 100 and re: zero are on my planning to watch list now. i didn't expect to already have so much overlap with the top ten.

What were your favorite shows in 2016? Not necessarily your top 5, but which shows did you enjoy the most?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Can you weight these by the number of votes each studio got? Just asking before I start typing studio names into the spreadsheet!

JK, I figured it out!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fangz posted:

Threw the scores from the current version of the spreadsheet into a principle components analysis:

The red arrows are shows, with long arrows being the especially popular ones that aren't predicted by liking other shows. Roughly speaking, if you're aligned to particular shows you liked them, and arrows that are close to each other represents shows that if you liked one, you probably liked the other. If you are close to someone on this chart you have similar tastes. If you are miles from everyone you're strange.

Unfortunately I don't necessarily believe in the scores right now. For me at least it's put me in the wrong way round.... OTOH I can believe that there's the quadrant of yuri (on and off the Ice to the top left, and I am solidly in it...)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Bones: 69
Deen: 62
J.C. Staff: 38
David Pro: 37
Kyoani: 31
3hz: 31
Mappa: 27
White Fox: 27
Trigger: 24
IG: 24
A-1: 21
Pierrot: 19
TMS: 19
Sunrise: 18
Shuka: 13
Pili International: 12
Telecom: 9
Brain's base: 9
P.A. Works: 8
Doga Kobo: 5
Diomedea: 4
feel.: 4
Hoods: 4
Xebec: 4
Millepensee: 3
Toei: 3
LIDENFILMS: 3
Satelight: 2
Zexcs: 2
Creators in Pack: 2
Bandai Namco: 2
Shin-Ei: 1
Lerche: 1
Pine Jam: 1
Kinema Citrus: 1
Shaft: 1
Fanworks: 1

assuming this is what you were asking

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the arrow has me aligned with re:zero, this is a farce and a sham!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I can't believe Gyra Solune was my long-lost twin.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Julias posted:

What were your favorite shows in 2016? Not necessarily your top 5, but which shows did you enjoy the most?

here is a chronological list:
rakugo
konosuba
dagashi kashi
erased
flying witch
shokugeki no soma
love live sunshine
stella no mahou
keijo
hibike euphonium 2
girlish number
flip flappers

that's my top 12 out of 35 shows i completed in 2016

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 8, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Good list :thumbsup:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
added rakugo to my backlog since the arrow for it was pointing directly at my name in the second graph. i take that as a challenge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ps: if my count is incredibly off, keep in mind im eyeballing this while eating chicken

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Taiga is really good for finding out stuff like this. Also I like organizing poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's going to take more than 2 good shows in one year to make up for the dozens of terrible ones in other years IMO.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Xinder posted:

added rakugo to my backlog since the arrow for it was pointing directly at my name in the second graph. i take that as a challenge.

I personally recommend this challenge:

Mentat Radnor posted:

Just watched the first episode of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and holy poo poo.

I'm going to open a bottle of cheap wine and marathon the whole thing tonight.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

ps: if my count is incredibly off, keep in mind im eyeballing this while eating chicken

It was mostly good, just a few shows missing here and there. I've got the data in the google sheet now, thank you :)

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

here is a chronological list:
rakugo
konosuba
dagashi kashi
erased
flying witch
shokugeki no soma
love live sunshine
stella no mahou
keijo
hibike euphonium 2
girlish number
flip flappers

that's my top 12 out of 35 shows i completed in 2016

Added as mentions!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's going to take more than 2 good shows in one year to make up for the dozens of terrible ones in other years IMO.

what about 4 good shows in one year

and is deen's track record really that bad? They have some real stinkers but they also made stuff like rurouni kenshin, fruits basket, king of bandits jing, shion no ou.

deen makes a ton of shows every year (this year they made 8), so it's no surprise that they've made some clunkers. I think their track record is pretty solid for how much they pump out and how many big name shows they've been attached to.

log horizon season 2 was terrible tho

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 8, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Fangz posted:

I'm usually such a chalk voter, but this year I'm just way out there lol

ty for these!

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
going by the graph I should just accept my fate as whatever a fujoshi who is into girls love is called and watch euphonium and love live already

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you should watch eupho because it's really good. great character animation and drama, and really well done character arcs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

and is deen's track record really that bad? They have some real stinkers but they also made stuff like rurouni kenshin, fruits basket, king of bandits jing, shion no ou.

deen makes a ton of shows every year (this year they made 8), so it's no surprise that they've made some clunkers. I think their track record is pretty solid for how much they pump out and how many big name shows they've been attached to.

I just really wanted Umineko to be good :(

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Xinder posted:

am i really the only one to vote for durarara? it's like my last minute binge-watch was for nothing. how sad.

I really liked it, it was a good ending and I've loved Durarara for years now but I just couldn't muster up enough care to list it among the top. If we were going with favorite moments it sure had a bunch of em though

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I can't believe the soul mate of I, the poster formerly known as the wildest rear end, is butt ghost

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Top 10 No Normies* Allowed List 2016

1. Flying Witch
2. KonaSuba
3. Re:Zero
4. Flip Flappers
5. Yuri! On Ice.
6. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
7. Space Patrol Luluco
8. Haikyuu!!
9. Osomatsu-san
10. Thunderbolt Fantasy

*Anyone that listed any of the top 3 removed.

Grimgar got a huge boost. Maybe someone somewhere should be concerned.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

kater posted:

Top 10 No Normies* Allowed List 2016

1. Flying Witch
2. KonaSuba
3. Re:Zero
4. Flip Flappers
5. Yuri! On Ice.
6. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
7. Space Patrol Luluco
8. Haikyuu!!
9. Osomatsu-san
10. Thunderbolt Fantasy

*Anyone that listed any of the top 3 removed.

Grimgar got a huge boost. Maybe someone somewhere should be concerned.

But there was a tie for 3rd!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Flip Flappers tied for third making it a normie anime.

e:beaten to the punch

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sorry results final.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Added as mentions!

ah, thanks!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Breaking news No Normies allowed list actually contains Normie anime. Disgraced list creator kater says "sorry, results final" and screeches away on a vespa scooter while playing an electric guitar.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Well done :D

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fangz posted:

:shobon:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

I'm gonna be a pedant by saying Deen did the last third of Kenshin when it was nothing but filler!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Smack between Flying Witch and Jojo seems like a good place to be, honestly.

• Locked thread