Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here we have the 1st Thallaxii Cohort of the Collegium Philosophiaeque Inhospita [Taghmata Paleomachina of Mars].

Operating under the command of the Archimandrite El'ayezar Yudkowskolex and the Collegium Philosophiaeque Inhospita, the Taghmata Paleomachina campaigned throughout Imperial space during the Horus Heresy, most notably supporting loyalist Dark Angels operations during the early and mid Thramas Crusade. The Taghmata abandoned the Thramas region before the Battle of Sheol (and various rumors of Collegium tech-priests consulting with Night Lords sympathizers made their way back to the macro-cogitators on Mars).

The goal of the Archimandrite Yudkowskolex was to prevent both the Mechanicum and it's rebellious splinters from obtaining proscribed pre-Imperial technologies - in particular the secrets of Silica Animus (general artificial intelligence) - and this motivation is believed to have dictated the Taghmata's military priorities. In particular, their withdrawal from Thramas was followed by reports of skirmishes between the Collegium's Paleomachina and elements of the Iron Warriors and their dark mechanicus supplicants the Pneumachina.

One of the Thallaxii can be seen holding aloft a curious artifact: perhaps the skull of a Night Lords Codicier or a traitorous Pneumachina Logician. The Archimandrite was rumored to be able to pull vast amounts of data from the neurological remnants of the dead and each Thallax had orders to collect particularly desirable or unique examples for cranial cross-loading.

Thallax are mechanoids, not robots. Their cybernetic armor (called the Lorica Thallax) is similar in design to the power armor worn by the Legiones Astartes. Only the spinal cord, a few major organs, and some components of the human brain remain after the one-way installation process is complete. However, unlike servitors and the robots of the Legio Cybernetica, the Thallax retain independent thought and self-determination. Emotions and pain sense are surgically removed to increase operational capacity and slow the onset of insanity.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Hell yeah dude! Are the little unit inscriptions on the left shoulder pads decals? They look real nice.

Excellent choice of associated legions in your fluff if I may say so myself.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

GreenMarine posted:

Thallax are mechanoids, not robots. Their cybernetic armor (called the Lorica Thallax) is similar in design to the power armor worn by the Legiones Astartes. Only the spinal cord, a few major organs, and some components of the human brain remain after the one-way installation process is complete. However, unlike servitors and the robots of the Legio Cybernetica, the Thallax retain independent thought and self-determination. Emotions and pain sense are surgically removed to increase operational capacity and slow the onset of insanity.

Mechanicus are the undisputed most 40k 30k thing ever.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hamshot posted:

Mechanicus are the undisputed most 40k 30k thing ever.

And thats why they are my favorite, thallax and their variants are metal as hell.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Guys, look! I found a skull! That's lucky, right?!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

GreenMarine posted:

Operating under the command of the Archimandrite El'ayezar Yudkowskolex

GreenMarine posted:

The goal of the Archimandrite Yudkowskolex was to prevent both the Mechanicum and it's rebellious splinters from obtaining proscribed pre-Imperial technologies - in particular the secrets of Silica Animus (general artificial intelligence)

Oh I see what you did there.

Sweet robutts cyborgs dude.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So I was rather surprised to find I had enough assembled to field a 2500 point army and even more surprised to see how much of it has paint on it. I'd been meaning to do HH for ages but didn't pull the trigger until halfway through last year. I thought I'd make a post showing what I've done over the last year (and accompanying lovely names) and thought it might be fun to see what you nerds have done too. Here we go:

Completed:

Enver Bardh, Lieutenant Commander, 153rd Assault Bn., XIV Legiones Astartes

Deathshroud

Leutrim Skender of the 98th Siege Century

Konstandin Sologon and his Cataphractii of the 92nd Heavy Assault Century

Heavy Support Squad Balor of the 92nd

And from the painting table we have:

Caradin Tolon of the 144th Pathfinders

Tactical Squad Kord of the 92nd

Assault Squad Menaeus of the 144th

Tactical Support Squad Hyrese of the 98th

Heavy Support Squad Agon of the 98th

Veteran Squad Ledion of the 92nd

Rapier Quad Gun of the 98th

Command Land Raider

Javelin Speeders of the 144th

Brother Valbonax of the 98th

Brother Valdrinor of the 92nd

Not too bad for 6 months.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Those all look fantastic!

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

Cool Death Guard models.

These look great!

I'm trying to paint some 30k DG myself at the moment, could you tell me your method for your guys?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah please post at least a color guide because those are the best non-FW DG I've seen

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Thanks guys, they're done using a combination of airbrush, wash and drybrush.

They first get a layer of Vallejo Leather Brown Surface Primer then a layer of VGA Bonewhite and a zenithal coat of VGA Dead White. The whole model gets a wash of AP Soft Tone and then a drybrush of VGC Bonewhite and one of VMC Offwhite. Green shoulder pads are a couple of layers of Death World Forest with a lining of Soft Tone at the edges.

Brass is a layer of VGA Brassy Brass and VGA Bright Bronze washed with Ogryn Flesh Wash. Steel is VMA Silver with a wash of AP Dark Tone. Banding is just a few layers of Dark Tone.

Gun casings are VGE Heavy Charcoal with highlights of VGC Cold Grey and VGC Stonewall Grey and washed with Dark Tone. Lenses are VGA Gory Red, Bloody Red and Orange Fire with a wash of Soft Tone and a dot of Offwhite in the top corners if I can reach them.

Bases are a layer of Black Lava primed with Leather Brown then drybrushed with Heavy Charcoal, Cold Grey and Stonewall Grey and a touch of Offwhite. Chipping is sponged on with either Heavy Charcoal or VMC Black Grey, whichever is closer at the time. Skulls are Dheneb Stone with a Dead White highlight then washed with Soft Tone. Then I brush on a bunch of Vallejo Pigments Carbon Black around the boots and greaves to tie them in to the base and with decals and a varnish the model is done.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 8, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

2016 awesomeness

Here's what I painted last year!

HQ

Calth terminator HQ

Bike praetor.

Elites

Apothecary

Terminator squad

10 man veteran squad

Fast Attack

Jetbikes

Javelin

Troops

8 man plasma support squad

Vehicles

Rhino with pintle melta

Land Raider Proteus

Caestus

Assembled but not painted:
5 heavy weapons mans with heavy bolters
10 veterans
5 outriders with plasma
Bike apothecary
Storm eagle
Sicaran Venator

Pretty productive year if I may say so myself. 2017 will be mostly painting mans and rhinos to bulk things out a little, but I also want to do a super heavy, probably a Glaive.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yesss mans for the mans god. Nice Dork Angels there.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I love the lancer wings on the jetbikes.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Thanks guys! My favorite thing about the dorks is their loyalty.

Also quote this post if you wanna :toxx: to complete a superheavy this year- built and painted.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Also quote this post if you wanna :toxx: to complete a superheavy this year- built and painted.

:toxx: I will build and paint some dumb giant piece of poo poo.

It'll probably be a Fellblade, Glaive or Typhon.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 9, 2017

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Assuming you expand the category to non-superheavy Lords of War as discussed in Slack, I will :toxx: to complete... Horus, probably. Or maybe a Glaive.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Yeah, rules as intended here is a big centerpiece model ready for the table by January 1 2018. Let's all do death guard glaives.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sure what the hell.

:toxx: I'll do a Typhon.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Sporting dual galvanic traction drives, techno-cant wardings, interlocking energy shields, and the latest in independently tracking volkite sentinels the Triaros Armoured Conveyer is what every well equipped Thallax squad is riding into combat this Heresy.

I have some cleanup on the door's metal bits to do, but otherwise I'm going to call it and move onto something else. I put blood on the shock ram because it there was a casting issue that I wanted to cover up...so it's gore that hasn't burned off yet. And I like to ram things with it.

I may do a cleanup on the shock ram glow. I'm not too skilled at painting glows well.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 9, 2017

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Not counting commissions/gifts, terrain, and stuff for other games (see below), here's what I painted in 2016!

There are a few odds and ends--Fire Raptor turrets, decals, some water effects, etc--but I'm really happy with all I got done.

This army is built less around organizational fluff and more around characters:

Unbroken Harod & Lord Agapito, the Catulan

Harod is a vicious and unimaginative brute who, because he doesn't have the emotional capacity to take pleasure in cruelty or violence, is regularly assigned to do things like hunt down wounded soldiers. butcher civilian populations, and mop up insurgencies. He isn't trusted to lead anything larger than a squad, but he was put in nominal command of several long-term headhunter missions during the Istvaan campaigns. He was more or less killed during the early months of the Warmaster's dark compliance, and he has since been interred in a Leviathan Dreadnought.

Agapito was once a member of the First Company, though he was frequently dispatched as a messenger to other Legiones and their warrior-lodges. On Isstvan, his once-garrulous temperament yielded to increasing obsession with the esoteric and a profound belief in Horus' right to the Imperium he created. And, something about hunting down and murdering scores upon scores of his battle-brothers changed him. Now he counts as a Chaplain!

Despoiler Squad Carduus

I finished painting two Tactical Marines in 2016. Only 30ish to go.

Tribulus & Friends

The Dreadnought is Tribulus. The standard bearer counts as Maloghurst or a Vexilliary. These guys don't have personalities yet.

Praevian/Delegatus/Chieftain Abbas & Castellax

I only finished these guys a few weeks ago and I'm really pleased with them. Haven't played with either of them yet. Abbas is the Chieftain of:

Reaver Squad Optimate

Veterans or Reavers. The backpacks are magnetized; I'm still painting up jump packs. Abbas' has a melta gun chained to it. Nine more dudes to go!

Breacher Squad Passerine

I put the whole 10-man squad in the group shot, but the other four were finished in late 2015. These were the first 30k project I completed, and I run these guys in pretty much every game I play. I think Lord Agapito and Chieftain Abbas see these guys as a reliable core for the missions they lead. They're aggressive, require a lot of maintenance, and have maybe been getting a little too old and fat over the years, but they're great at their jobs.

Creon's Cannibals

The Cannibals aren't a squad or even a formation; they're a loose group of several dozen psychopathic survivors of the Isstvan campaigns. Most of them were real dicks to start with (which is why they got assigned to the mop-up missions in the first place), but months of enduring sudden, miserable violence has turned them into such selfish fighters that their commanders have deemed them too unreliable for actual squad assignment. So, they are stragglers. Most of them (though not these five) get assigned to fill out under-strength squads during pitched battles, though they are more frequently deployed in Tactical Strike missions that put their individual foibles to their best use.

Creon is unusual, because he's one of the few Cannibals that other Cannibals actually like. He organizes--though doesn't exactly "lead"--packs of more socially inclined Cannibals on daring covert operations during larger engagement. Sometimes he uses a chainsword instead of a power fist, but I haven't painted the chainsword yet.

Moving along, here are some Fire Raptor glamor shots (on my filthy laptop, and before I finished the base:

The ball turrets aren't done. Also, lot to say about this guy but I'm tired of writing this post:

Here's 2017's first stuff finished (except varnish and water effects):

Here's some poo poo from other games!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
This is such a good page.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

This is such a good page.

Will be even better next year, when half our thread is banned

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is seriously some good poo poo.

This whole page is, but I don't see anyone else writing little fluff blurbs. I am jealous of TKWG's old metal Ravenwing winged lancer feathered banners though. I used to have a few of those. I just ordered a foldio 2 after hearing y'all talk it up so hopefully I can get good pictures of my painted stuff in a few days. My old light box was crap.

BULBASAUR posted:

Joke's on y'all, I won't be toxxing anything because I won't have a Lord of War to paint in the first place. :smug:

:smith:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Tribulus & Friends

The Dreadnought is Tribulus. The standard bearer counts as Maloghurst or a Vexilliary. These guys don't have personalities yet.

I'm pretty sure Tribulus's defining trait is instantly blowing up any time a guardsman with a plasma gun looks at him funny :D

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

:toxx:ing you to paint either Perturabo or a LoW tank.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

:toxx: for my Leman Russ Primarch this year.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ugh, peer pressure. :toxx: to paint an indentured Knight for my Iron Warrriors by next year.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Keep up the centerpiece pledges, everyone!

Arven posted:

I'm pretty sure Tribulus's defining trait is instantly blowing up any time a guardsman with a plasma gun looks at him funny :D

:smith:

Edit: join the slack already dogg

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 9, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren: :siren:
Common you troglodytes, get your new years resolutions itt:

:toxx:ing to paint a LOW by the end of the year because tkwg is a bad friend

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

I pledge a Cerastus knight. I am most likely going to be moving to a new country, nothing could possibly go wrong with this :toxx: decision.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

I pledge a Cerastus knight. I am most likely going to be moving to a new country, nothing could possibly go wrong with this :toxx: decision.

I've never actually painted a vehicle before, so this could be a total cockup for at least two of us.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
More toxxes you failures.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

BULBASAUR posted:

:siren: :siren:
Common you troglodytes, get your new years resolutions itt:

:toxx:ing to paint a LOW by the end of the year because tkwg is a bad friend

Primarch or something like a superheavy?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

I've never actually painted a vehicle before, so this could be a total cockup for at least two of us.

I, too, have never painted a vehicle. Let us walk into together into this brave new world.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Yes.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

Big centerpiece LoW choice table ready by Jan 1 2018. Primarch, knight, fellblade, storm bird, whatever it is that compels you to burn a pile of money on sweet sweet resin.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
No, sorry, I should have been clearer - I was asking Bulbasaur if he's painting a knight/tank/whatever or Ferrus Manus.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
:toxx:ing to paint a Questoris Knight or Super Heavy Tank by the end of the year, because why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If I paint Ferrus Manus will I get banned anyway?