Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Circulators are good at stability, and cast iron is a bad insulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm using a lidded coleman cooler that I cut part of the top out of to slip my Anova through. It holds temperature pretty well, I think, but I still wish the lid were better insulated. The body does seem to remain room temp no matter what temperature the water inside is, so that's good.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

We've been over this before. Lids are about evaporation more than efficiency. These things are already ludicrously efficient at maintaining tepid puddles of water.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
RIP Anova WiFi ice bath notifications: http://community.anovaculinary.com/t/ice-bath-option-in-wifi-app/4058

Honestly the WiFi app was way better before they started adding recipes to it and making it into trash like the original app.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Dem Bones posted:

RIP Anova WiFi ice bath notifications: http://community.anovaculinary.com/t/ice-bath-option-in-wifi-app/4058

Honestly the WiFi app was way better before they started adding recipes to it and making it into trash like the original app.

Dude the app is terrible. It just aggravates me that I can't just start the god drat timer on it's own. Why do I have to wait for it to recognize the temp and for it to prompt me. So I can just click okay for the timer to start. I swear the water will be sitting at temp for 2-3 min and I'll get nothing. So I have to kill the cook process. Start it again. It's just loving dumb.

Oh and when the alarm goes off I can't just dismiss it. I have to walk to the drat thing and hit the STOP COOKING button. Then I have to hit the cook button again so it stays at temp. Or I'm just dumb.

sterster fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 5, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I used the app exactly once, and it somehow interrupted/didn't properly start my cook of a 40$ CAD chunk of lamb leg overnight.

And that was that. :nallears:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Need some advice. I've done Halibut at 124 for 30 to 45 min depending on how large the filets are. Loved the results from that.

What do I need to change if I'm cooking 6oz filets from frozen to get similar results?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

theres a will theres moe posted:

Yeah you can't beat a hot-rear end pan for scallops and they take no time to cook. That variance in doneness makes them texturally interesting.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-seared-scallops-recipe-0170067.html

Yeah. I actually like the texture of literally raw scallops and I have never cooked a scallop via searing alone that was undercooked to my taste in the middle. I'd just sear them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Texture difference like that can be good in all sorts of food. The leanest, most tender cuts don't do well in sous vide and I've come to appreciate a seared, rare tenderloin as much as a thick and evenly cooked sous vide steak. Right tool for the job.

Doing sous vide roast beef tomorrow, bought a pre-tied, vacuumed hunk of meat. Fits my cooker perfectly so I will not bother rebagging. After it's done, I plan to chill it, un-tie, cool it off and sear under the oven grill. Anyone have good/bad experiences with this?

sterster posted:

Dude the app is terrible. It just aggravates me that I can't just start the god drat timer on it's own. Why do I have to wait for it to recognize the temp and for it to prompt me. So I can just click okay for the timer to start. I swear the water will be sitting at temp for 2-3 min and I'll get nothing. So I have to kill the cook process. Start it again. It's just loving dumb.

Oh and when the alarm goes off I can't just dismiss it. I have to walk to the drat thing and hit the STOP COOKING button. Then I have to hit the cook button again so it stays at temp. Or I'm just dumb.

In the smart home of the future, this is how you brush your teeth, clean the toilet, open a can of tomatoes, etc etc.

Ola fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 5, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Alexa, turn on the bidet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm all about being able to yell at Alexa to turn on/off/dim the lights but yeah that Anova app is some seriously hot garbage.

Maybe if the Anova did integrate with Alexa or another smart home hub so I could yell "Alexa, set anova to 131" or similar I'd use it as a dumb party trick :v:

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
https://www.cnet.com/products/anova-nano/preview/

Looks pretty cool. Im sure most people aren't using their current anova's to capacity and could easily get away with a Nano. I wonder what the wattage will be though and if it'll be able to support long high temp cooks

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
They're revamping the whole line, so there should be some interesting updates to the wifi+Bluetooth anova and, what I'm most excited for, an updated version of the more powerful OG anova that they are now calling the "Pro" model.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I got one of these meat in a sealed bag, is it cool to SV as is without rebagging it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peepsalot posted:

I got one of these meat in a sealed bag, is it cool to SV as is without rebagging it?

Godspeed.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Ive done omaha steaks as is, but for that i'd remove that monster sticker beforehand. I'd be worried of the sticker disintegrating and being a bitch to clean.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Crunkjuice posted:

Ive done omaha steaks as is, but for that i'd remove that monster sticker beforehand. I'd be worried of the sticker disintegrating and being a bitch to clean.

I've also had the adhesive on those bags come apart in the water. For short cooks you'll be okay, I do individually-wrapped BSCBs like that, but for anything substantial it's worth rebagging.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I've done similarly packaged meats and it went fine. Removing the sticker is a good idea though.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

peepsalot posted:

Should be, but depending on how seasoned it is, dont' do it too long. Of course, it's filet, so you wouldn't, but why are you buying pre-seasoned but not cured meat?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'll probably be doing my first sous vide this weekend. Thinking about doing steak and the carrots I've seen people talking about. On hand I have a polypropylene cambro, will that be suitable for those temperatures or should I consider a different vessel?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Test Pattern posted:

but why are you buying pre-seasoned but not cured meat?

I always assume things like that are gifts from well meaning relatives, largely based my on experiences...

:angel:: little timmy loves to cook, better send him some rice a roni for his birthday!
:chef:: ...thanks, grandma.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lifts cats over head posted:

I'll probably be doing my first sous vide this weekend. Thinking about doing steak and the carrots I've seen people talking about. On hand I have a polypropylene cambro, will that be suitable for those temperatures or should I consider a different vessel?

Yep that will work fine

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

3 lbs of roast beef turned out very well. I took it out after 7 hours at 58C. Cut the string and let it cool while finishing other stuff. Then dried it with paper, gave it a light coat of salt and oil and put it under the broiler on full power. It's not that powerful so it wasn't exactly a deep fried appearance, but pretty close to a normal roast. Definitely doing this again, the labor/result ratio is pretty great. Texture was a bit grainy, going to try shorter time or lower temp next time.

Served it with rocket salad, roast celeriac and sunchoke and a remoulade with capers, dill and pickles. Yum!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Test Pattern posted:

Should be, but depending on how seasoned it is, dont' do it too long. Of course, it's filet, so you wouldn't, but why are you buying pre-seasoned but not cured meat?
Idk, because I'm clueless I guess, what's so bad about it?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

peepsalot posted:

If the marinade in a package like that is salty or has papain or other tenderizers in it a long cook would give it a weird probably mushy texture especially when fillet is already pretty soft.

For the length of time you'd do fillet (i.e. just enough to get it to temp) I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

peepsalot posted:

It usually comes out to you paying 4-5 bucks for salt and pepper. And beef that's been sitting in salt for however long it was in that package is going to have a weird half-cured texture/flavor, but not be good cured meat.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Naw, those Trader Joe's marinated meats are pretty good.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

peepsalot posted:

I imagine people here are pretty serious/specific about the way they like things done and pre-marinaded meat is probably just never going to be as good as some people here could make it. There's nothing horrible about buying pre-prepared food, but if you stumble into a cooking forum asking about it you're likely to get a reasonable level of [I can't think of a word that's sort of a synonym for snobbery or elitism, but with a less-negative connotation].

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ola posted:

Then dried it with paper

Is this a UK term for paper towels, or do you have a special drying paper?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I tried SVing some preseasoned vac-bagged ribs once and they tasted so comically bad I had to take them to work just to see the reactions.

They had decent texture but tasted like cheap hot dogs. Yummy nitrite salt and liquid smoke.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Is there some sort of magical sous vide to oven baked potato wedge recipe? I don't have a fryer and I'm not really into pan frying, but I would love some sort of oven crisped goodness with a fantastic interior.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

Is there some sort of magical sous vide to oven baked potato wedge recipe? I don't have a fryer and I'm not really into pan frying, but I would love some sort of oven crisped goodness with a fantastic interior.

Not sous vide, but:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/12/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 7, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone recommend liquid smoke available in the uk?
I'm gonna do Kenjis brisket in the week.
This stuff any good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...dOLL&ref=plSrch

Also should I buy this torch or nah? MAP ones don't seem so popular over here. Seems like a minefield as there's no obvious spec numbers to look for.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...8DBL&ref=plSrch

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd go with the Bernzomatic, like https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00008ZA0A/

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

The duck fat makes these killer. I even overcook them sometimes If I want them crispier.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

My mom had made basically these same potatoes for like 20 years. They are stupidly easy and drat good. I do need to try them with duck fat. We always use olive oil.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh I didn't know I could just use like a brazing torch. Screwfix do the model down for £50. Will probably grab that. Thanks

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

baquerd posted:

Is this a UK term for paper towels, or do you have a special drying paper?

Oops! A non-native English speaker's term for paper towel.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made Sous Vide Pork Belly but my Foodsaver bag ruptured in the last couple hours and the bag was full of water. Can I save this? Or is it going to be ruined?

Edit: It seemed to be fine after crisping under the broiler for a few minutes. Though I don't really have anything to compare it too. Biggest thing was I lost the juices to make a sauce with so I used some store bought teriyaki that I had on hand.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Today I'm doing Kenji's sous-vide shrimp (with jumbo tigers, 6-8/lb) at 130 for 15 minutes, then I will sear them atop my Arteflame grill insert for my Weber 22.5" that's been heating up for a few hours now. It'll be served alongside a salad of some sort and arroz con coco.