Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Enourmo posted:

If full synthetic "makes" your engine leak, your seal(s) were already bad and it was a matter of time before whatever crud was blocking the leak got dislodged.

I'll have you know that the current mineral oil loss via leaking seals and gaskets in all my classic vehicles is carefully calibrated and controlled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tomarse posted:

I'll have you know that the current mineral oil loss via leaking seals and gaskets in all my classic vehicles is carefully calibrated and controlled.

I think 2-strokes are neat, too!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I think 2-strokes are neat, too!

British cars and Ford share one thing in common.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tomarse posted:

How dare you leak shame me

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geoj posted:

Sorry - what was your point beyond "you're doing it wrong"?

I mean, if you know how to communicate with incredibly touchy white working class voters I'm all ears, but all I've heard from you is "see - you're not doing it right and that comes off as condescending."

Do you know what's really condescending? People who only say "no, you're wrong" without offering any alternative or explanation of what the "wrong" person could do differently.

Like I said I am not continuing this here to avoid pissing everyone off, but will pm you my thoughts (for what they are worth) when I am at a real computer instead of this godawful touchscreen abomination. If I don't do so by Tuesday night feel free to pm me to remind me. I've wandered all over the political map in the last 17 years or so and I try not to be a duck but it does happen sometimes.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

What are you possibly getting? I grew up on that stuff and without it I doubt I would be able to fix anything.

Chassis is built but I'm missing some electronics. Haven't touched the body yet, either. I'm not used to painting the inside of plastic vehicles.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Thanks for the kind words :glomp:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Chassis is built but I'm missing some electronics. Haven't touched the body yet, either. I'm not used to painting the inside of plastic vehicles.

I saw your post in the RC thread. I'll reply with some good info tomorrow on a real computer. Since I've been painting on the inside for over 20 years I have a hard time thinking the other way around. Just make sure you get polycarbonate compatible spray. Tamiya spray is the best stuff. You are in for a whole world of an obsession that you don't need. Like a meth habit.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thanks for the kind words :glomp:

I saw your post in the RC thread. I'll reply with some good info tomorrow on a real computer. Since I've been painting on the inside for over 20 years I have a hard time thinking the other way around. Just make sure you get polycarbonate compatible spray. Tamiya spray is the best stuff. You are in for a whole world of an obsession that you don't need. Like a meth habit.

Yeah, Tamiya paint is about all I'll use for regular plastic models so I planned on picking up some PS cans. I think I've got a pretty good idea as to where a fat chunk of my Christmas bonus is going... Congrats on Jr. number 2!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Dad gave me a 1/2 HP Craftsman drillpress for the garage. Hooray!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

Jokes on you, my engine is good because I replaced all the oil seals about 15k ago.

On the junkyard engine. Because the original one died. Due to an oil leak.

Central Florida at least means no rust, though. I do need to replace a coolant elbow going to the turbo, though, it's been weeping since July. I've replaced like a liter in 6 months, so I've been lazy about it even though I have the new part.

E: currently sitting at the tire shop getting 2 new tires, because the puncture was too close to the sidewall and the other tire was 5/3/4. Which is weird since I never over inflate them and I don't run sikk camber.

Did you ever install those shifter bushings you bought from me?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

stump posted:

My eBay recent search list is a smorgasbord of terrible ideas I can't afford, and cars I can afford (which also terrible ideas).

I just made a diagram of what my garage would look like with the different combinations of cars I'm interested in and holy poo poo I'm insane

The most reasonable thing on the list is selling everything and getting a 997

blk fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 9, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Did you ever install those shifter bushings you bought from me?

I've been so drat busy with school the last few years I haven't had time, and that's before the whole moving into an apartment thing; I have no workspace these days. They're still sitting in my toolbox, biding their time.

God I miss having even a driveway.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

Oh god this is my future isn't it? I carry a 1l around with me at all times and top up the engine as and when. I think I've worked out the exact mileage number per litre... And this is why I shall be engine swapping the car this year hopefully.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meltie posted:

What's the opinion on using FS in older engines that have lived their lives on Dino?

On my old car, existing oil leaks got worse, valve cover in particular turned into an oil bukakke, but cold start rattles pretty much disappeared. I also noticed on that car that the oil pressure light would shut off while cranking after switching to synthetic, before the engine fired - with conventional (same weight), it would flicker a bit while cranking, flicker a couple of times after it fired, and finally shut off after it'd been running for a second or so. That car had 130k when I got it, almost 180k when I got rid of it. Also, on the first and second oil changes after the switch, chunks of nasty came out with the oil.

I don't think the oil pressure sender works on my current car. :downsgun: It comes on for the bulb check at key on, but turns off when the airbag, brake, etc lights turn off, even if I haven't started the engine. Also doesn't come on if I stall the engine. One of these days I'll have to see if that's normal or if the sender is bad ah gently caress it fake edit, gonna throw that into the stupid questions thread

You can get away with running synthetic quite a bit longer vs conventional (assuming a fuel injected gasoline engine), which helps offset the cost. The price difference isn't that big if you do your own oil changes - 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 are $27 at Walmart here (one brand of synthetic is as low as $15 for 5 quarts in the same store, which is about the same price as a 5 quart jug of name brand conventional), and my oil filters run $6 for OEM (also carried by Walmart) or $3 for Walmart's store brand.

Current car story: I got my current car with 60k on it. I assume it had been run on conventional its whole life by how it looked under the oil cap and the fact that GM has absolutely zero dealer maintenance records on it (aside from its original pre-purchase inspection). It now has 160k; I've been running synthetic since I bought it. It leaks a little from the valve cover (gasket is on my list of things to do next week), but even with the extended oil change intervals I run (9-10k, basically when the "change oil" message shows up), it only uses 1-2 quarts between oil changes. That amount of consumption is less than what car makers consider normal on a brand new car that's within warranty, and I don't exactly baby it. The 100k I've put on it are mostly delivery/courier miles, so it's seen a ton of city miles, lots of redline pulls to merge with highway traffic, and a lot of engine off/on cycles. I've sent oil samples in to Blackstone Labs 3 times now, and they always say the wear levels they see are along the lines of an engine with far less miles.

After looking at the bottom of the oil filler cap, and inside the valve cover through the filler opening, I'm pretty sure the original owner didn't really think about oil changes much. It's nasty in there, but hasn't gotten any worse since I've owned it.

Enourmo posted:

If full synthetic "makes" your engine leak, your seal(s) were already bad and it was a matter of time before whatever crud was blocking the leak got dislodged.

Also, this. Synthetic typically has more detergents than conventional oil (so I'm told), so it'll wash away stuff that's clogging a bad gasket. That gasket needed replacing anyway.

spog posted:

UK:

Halfords are still offering their fully synthetic oils at £12 for 5 litres. This usually goes for a solid £36 and there is nothing on the market that cheap (even Tesco's no-name stuff is £20/4litres)

Don't know why they are selling it off so cheap (it's not like it goes off in the warehouse) - perhaps they are bumping their year end figures? - but it's time to stock up.

At that price, I wonder if I can use it to cook my chips in.

In the US, Napa was selling store brand full synthetic for $3/quart in single quart bottles recently, which works out to roughly 4.75 litres if you get 5 quarts (my car takes 5 quarts, so I always buy the big bottles, then buy whatever is cheap to top it off if I need to). No idea on the currency conversion though. For comparison, I typically pay $27 for a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic, with individual quarts selling for $7 at the same store.

Maybe they're selling it as a loss leader? As in, sell it at a loss to get people in the door, in hopes that they'll buy other stuff. It's very common to do that in the US to get people in the door, in hopes they'll buy other stuff.

The Locator posted:

MGS can provide more details, but in this area many of the big cities have the ambulance service as part of the fire department and are paid accordingly, but it's ridiculously competitive to land a job with one of those departments.

The outlying areas and unincorporated areas are serviced under contract by one of the many company names that are all actually Rural Metro, a private company that apparently doesn't pay their employees for poo poo. Also since they are all the same parent company, the illusion of competition for contracts is false. This is where MGS works.

I didn't want to give away the company or city MGS was in (even though it's fairly common knowledge in the chat thread), but... yeah. Rural/Metro doesn't pay worth poo poo, and at least from what I understand, I think the city he's in outsources most EMS services to R/M?

The city I'm in pays police recruits $57k/year, and doesn't require a college degree, topping out at $79k/year. That's before overtime. Pay for EMS and fire is a bit harder to find, but it looks like a recruit FF/EMT-B starts at $51k before OT. From what I'm reading it sounds like you have to be cross trained as both a FF and a minimum EMT-B (at least, I can't find any pay info for just EMS - all EMS stuff is lumped under fire dept). The only education requirements in my city are a GED for police, and community college for FF/EMT. And I'm in a not-wealthy-at-all city - at one point they were broke enough that instead of repairing all of the maintaining and repairing all of the outdoor warning sirens (you know, tornados, etc), they just shut them all off for a few years until they could replace the entire system (they were down to <25% of sirens working).

Dallas pays less, and requires at least 45 college credit hours for police.. and the city manager wonders why they can't keep cops. Looks like their fire and EMS positions pay less than the suburb I'm in too.

Tomarse posted:

:siren: British vehicle owner spotted

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh god this is my future isn't it? I carry a 1l around with me at all times and top up the engine as and when. I think I've worked out the exact mileage number per litre... And this is why I shall be engine swapping the car this year hopefully.

My Integra used enough oil that I just assumed it needed a quart every time I filled up. And generally, I was right. I eventually wound up keeping either a case or 5 quart jug in the hatch with me, and if I didn't top off the oil when I filled up, I'd be greeted with a flickering oil light before I filled up again.

The friend I wound up giving the car to said oil poured out of the cat once he yanked the engine and downpipe. I believe it, compression was barely into the double digits on 2 cylinders. Downshifting in that thing at highway speeds would give off a smoke screen that would make James Bond poo poo himself.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 9, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

scuz posted:

I don't know if this is a grass-is-greener argument but at least in programming I'll get to use some part of my creative side. I'm so bored and angry most of my days at the sysadmin desk because it's all so loving boring. My brain did not develop to "just get over it" so I just find ways to distract myself from work while it piles up.

I made the swap from IT to Product Dev last year and it made me much happier. If you have an opportunity then take it since IT is soul destroying.

Car related:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiatchrysler-usa-idUSKBN14S0WL

FCA invest in a new Jeep plant. When questioned about the brands such as Dodge and Chrysler the spokesperson responded with "the what now?".

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 9, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So last night I got backed into in a parking lot by a guy who wasn't looking. Luckily he didn't shoot out of the space and he was to my left and had room to brake once I honked my wtf.

Unfortunately, my car was completely unharmed except for a little bit of paint transfer on the rear driver's wheel well (that didn't even get bent). I am still not freed from the shackles of my Mazda 6.

Basically I dodged right just enough for it to be a love tap, if I'd gotten over another inch or two, probably wouldn't have even hit. Other car has a small dent in the bumper but the other driver is at fault here so that's his problem not mine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Re: synthetic oil prices.

The 5qt jug of Mobil1 is regularly on sale for 15 bux-ish at Wal-Mart. Some weirdos on bobistheoilguy say it's a different formula but they are full of poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've seen plenty of claims that Walmart oil is a different "less pure" formula but never a scrap of proof.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I've seen plenty of claims that Walmart oil is a different "less pure" formula but never a scrap of proof.

Ok guys, we're doing the special Walmart run today, so go grab your piss-bottles. Make sure you don't mix up the indistinguishable jugs and cartons with that other lot we're sending to the dealers (DEALERS HAVE THE BEST OIL).

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If it meets a certain spec it meets the spec. It is not like when a certain gold handed chain of automotive service centres put the wrong grade of oil in which caused the CEL to come on since the sensitive precious baby disabled the VVT if the oil was too thick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok guys, we're doing the special Walmart run today, so go grab your piss-bottles. Make sure you don't mix up the indistinguishable jugs and cartons with that other lot we're sending to the dealers (DEALERS HAVE THE BEST OIL).

The best was a guy who claimed to work for a MAJOR OIL MAKER and they stamped codes in UV ink on the bottles that identified it as destined for Walmart.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

angryrobots posted:

Re: synthetic oil prices.

The 5qt jug of Mobil1 is regularly on sale for 15 bux-ish at Wal-Mart. Some weirdos on bobistheoilguy say it's a different formula but they are full of poo poo.

I've been buying m1 at Walmart for the last 3 years and haven't seen it on sale once, I guess I have terrible timing?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I buy my Mobil1 from Costco; that way the NWO can't track me.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The best was a guy who claimed to work for a MAJOR OIL MAKER and they stamped codes in UV ink on the bottles that identified it as destined for Walmart.

That sounds like it would be real easy to verify.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

That sounds like it would be real easy to verify.

Oh when called on it he claimed they wiped every bottle so it couldn't be tracked back.

He was shortly kicked from the FB group this conversation happened in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Most of the 5-quart jugs I've seen at Walmart are labeled "Recycle your oil at Walmart!" on the printed label, so.... it's possible? But it also seems like the expense of creating a separate formula (and losing economies of scale) would eat up the savings.

I've never done a VOA but I've done plenty of UOAs on Walmart-sourced oil and it always comes out fine.

Edit: That bottle label could be a Pennzoil-only thing, but here's an example:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 9, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Modus Man posted:

I've been buying m1 at Walmart for the last 3 years and haven't seen it on sale once, I guess I have terrible timing?

I dunno, but it's not all the time.

Also it may be on the endcap or somewhere else with the sale price, but the normal aisle location says regular price. Seen that too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Most of the 5-quart jugs I've seen at Walmart are labeled "Recycle your oil at Walmart!" on the printed label, so.... it's possible? But it also seems like the expense of creating a separate formula (and losing economies of scale) would eat up the savings.

I've never done a VOA but I've done plenty of UOAs on Walmart-sourced oil and it always comes out fine.

Walmart Canada used to have a great house brand of all-recycled oil. It was pretty dope because I bet you got some of the synthetics package of all the contributed oil for free, but even if not it was cheaper than hanging out behind the Mr. Lube and distracting them while you pumped out the used-oil dumpster into your filler neck.

We had a beater at the time that went through about a gallon of oil per month, so getting said oil for $10 instead of $25-44 was a big help.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

angryrobots posted:

I've never seen it for less than $19 there, and that was once - sales usually bring it down to $22-23 and change. You sure they're not talking about Mobil Super?

angryrobots posted:

Also it may be on the endcap or somewhere else with the sale price, but the normal aisle location says regular price. Seen that too.

I saw the opposite last time I was there. Endcap price was $29. Shelf tags were $26. It rang up as $29 and they refused to even send someone to look at the shelf tag, so I walked out without anything.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 9, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I wouldn't put anything but the finest mobil1 in my precious 12 year old Yamaha motor my friend. :v:

Naw I'm pretty sure it was 15-16 bucks. If I see it again I'll take a picture.

Edit: maybe it's regional? Looks like our regular price is $25.47.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 9, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: different oil at Walmart, there is a possibility this is true. It's been well documented that as a result of Walmart dictating prices to suppliers (with a "do it or we'll find someone who will" threat attached) many of their suppliers have Walmart specific products that are either made to a lower spec reflecting the price, or in the case of big ticket items like TVs they'll deliberately ship sub-par products, like units with B-grade LCD panels installed.

There isn't any database of known products like this (that I'm aware of) but it's certainly possible that the formulation of a given motor oil sold at Walmart is different - and if so, likely in a "for the worse" manner - from what you'd buy from a dealership, parts store or really any other retailer that isn't big enough to tell its suppliers what it will pay for a given product.

Not saying if the above is true that the oil is going to grenade your engine, but it's certainly possible that the oil they sell is different.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The walmart items will have some clue like a different model number. They will have a different upc. If the upc is the same, it is probably the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

The walmart items will have some clue like a different model number. They will have a different upc. If the upc is the same, it is probably the same.

I believe I saw someone compare the UPCs on name brand oils across Walmart, Meijer, Autozone and O'Reilly's and they were identical.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Any UK goons got home CCTV? I'm thinking of putting a Swann system up incase my neighbour escalates his dickheadery beyond passive-aggressive but I'm open to recommendations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

:siren:Massive muti-reply, incoming!:siren:
(STR's not the only one who can do it!)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

At least in TX, EMS is usually part of the city fire department if the city is large enough to have a paid fire department, and the ambulances are parked at the fire station in one of the bays. The firefighters are almost always cross trained to at least an EMT Basic level, and calling for an ambulance often gets a fire truck too.

Rural areas will sometimes have a county-run EMS service, others may contract with the nearest city or a private company.

The city I'm in requires all firefighters be at least EMT Basic certified, and has almost all ALS ambulances (if not all of them).

I always thought most cities had EMS under the FD. Guess not?

Dallas runs EMS under the FD as well, though they'll station ambulances around the city during the afternoon and evening. They have contracts with private companies for overflow, which was a big deal last year in the news when that cost came to light (it would be a lot cheaper long term to buy more ambulances and hire more EMTs).

So I guess all the LifeStar and other private ambulance companies are just doing hospital/non-emergency transport? Because I see plenty of them abound the area.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I would like to clean my 'new' transmission a little bit before I install it. What's the best way to get old nasty grease off without making a huge mess / killing all my grass / etc? Purple Power and a rise? If I work on a concrete slab, will it stain the fucker?

Purple Power is amazing, but be aware that it will darken aluminum and strip paint, if you care. The dissolved grease may or may not stain your concrete - it depends on porosity and the whims of Finagle. Get a cheap under-car drip pan to scrub it on.
If you have a power washer, use that. They make things so much easier, even a cheap one.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yes, it will stain the slab.

Lay down several layers of cardboard and go to town with some brake cleaner? Or throw it in the back of someone's truck and take it to a self service car wash and hit it with degreaser, use the rinse there. Take it out of the truck first if they value their paint. :v: Or do what I did and just toss it in the trunk with some rags, take it out to wash it, wipe it off as best you can and chunk it back into the trunk to take it home.

Goes without saying, but make sure the tailshaft opening is covered somehow.

I've done the carwash thing, too, before I had a power washer. I really need to find the low-pressure attachment for it so I can use the soap/additive tank (Task Force found free in someones trash. It's amazing what folks throw away. Same guy chucked a Dremel disk/belt sander, and an '80s Roland electric piano [with floppy drive!] that needed a little repair but works great!)

Simple Green works well, too, though not as well as the purple stuff, but it doesn't strip paint, skin, etc., so safer to use around other stuff.

Tomarse posted:

I assume these are to join something post 1970 to the V8 engine block where some genius decided that rather than changing the machining to put a different hole and thread in the block they would instead create a special part in the form of an imperial metric bolt?

Is 3/8-16 = 3/8 UNC?

I'm still trying to find something to fit into the threaded holes in the back of my V8 heads. Getting hold of imperial bolts here is quite tricky and I have to order them in small quantities online and it is getting quite frustrating

Yeah, 3/8-16 = 3/8 UNC.
poo poo, ask someone here (US.) We can probably go rip a hundred SAE bolts out of some '70s pickup or another in the wrecking yard, or any pre-90s American V8, I bet. 3/8-16, if that's what you need, is super common on GM engines.
Or, I suppose we could buy new and ship. No idea if that would be any cheaper for you.

meltie posted:

What's the opinion on using FS in older engines that have lived their lives on Dino?

I don't think there's a problem with that, though I don't know, with synthetic, if you need to worry so much about the ZDDP additive for flat-tappet cams. I prefer to run Rotella in my Cutlass, due to the flat-tappet cam, and detergents in the diesel oil.

Enourmo posted:

E: currently sitting at the tire shop getting 2 new tires, because the puncture was too close to the sidewall and the other tire was 5/3/4. Which is weird since I never over inflate them and I don't run sikk camber.

If it's on the front, that just seems to happen with FWD, though a lot of the time they wear both edges.

Tomarse posted:

Of course. It's metered carefully to prevent rust.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How dare you leak shame me

The safeword is"Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate"

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is why I continue to look at RC stuff longingly, but don't commit. I can't afford another hobby, especially not that one. What makes it worse is my buddy owns an RC hobby shop.
I love those Tamiya solid axle 4x4 chassis. The scale accuracy pleases the model nerd that I am. I've wanted one since they came out with the Toyota Hilux back in the '80s. Which also introduced me to the name the rest if the world knew those trucks by, too.

Geoj posted:

Re: different oil at Walmart, there is a possibility this is true. It's been well documented that as a result of Walmart dictating prices to suppliers (with a "do it or we'll find someone who will" threat attached) many of their suppliers have Walmart specific products that are either made to a lower spec reflecting the price, or in the case of big ticket items like TVs they'll deliberately ship sub-par products, like units with B-grade LCD panels installed.

There isn't any database of known products like this (that I'm aware of) but it's certainly possible that the formulation of a given motor oil sold at Walmart is different - and if so, likely in a "for the worse" manner - from what you'd buy from a dealership, parts store or really any other retailer that isn't big enough to tell its suppliers what it will pay for a given product.

Not saying if the above is true that the oil is going to grenade your engine, but it's certainly possible that the oil they sell is different.

I knew about the Walmart-specific electronics, but I hadn't though about oil or other stuff like that. That would be a good thing to know, if true.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So in my repeat trips to Autozone this weekend, I noticed this being advertised:

Seems like it's along the same lines as Seafoam Deep Creep. They're advertising it as something you can just tuck into the throttle body or just past the MAF. If it ends up being effective I'd make that something like an annual maintenance item next time I end up with a GDI engine.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

:siren:A deposit has been placed:siren:

itshappening.gif

This is going to be the longest ~2-3 weeks of my life.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
drat, great choice. I see one just like that in town and I drool every time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hell yeah boi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

You would think this would be the case, but a friend of mine stumbled across the Walmart specific products thing completely by accident several years ago. He bought two bags of the same socks - one at Walmart, the other at a department store like Dillard's or Macy's and everything was identical between the two - UPC/SKU, product number on the bag, packaging was identical but the socks from Walmart were obviously more cheaply made than the ones from the department store.

Granted this is anecdotal evidence, and things may have changed in the time that has passed but I would assume Walmart wouldn't want any obvious indication that the products they sell are any different from what gets sold at competitors.

• Locked thread