Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Now he's the Phantom Acquaintance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

The Question IRL posted:

Just trying to bring the discussion to something less maddening then the Alan Moore stuff.

But I liked the change to the Phantom Stranger for this reason....Prior to Rebirth, the Nu52 was actually a new universe. So why not actually try some new or different things. Like why shouldn't Superman go out with Wonder Woman, or make Dr. Light into an actual hero and person who loves women or the Rogues as guys with super powers. Likewise, you can make the Phantom Stranger into a guy with an actual origin.

Basically the idea or trying to do new things in a different universe isn't a bad idea. Okay so some of the ideas were done badly (Mr. Freeze as a delusion stalker) but none of the ideas were inherently sacrilegious*.

*- Even the idea of an agent of God secretly being Judas Iscariot trying to repent for betraying Jesus Christ.

I haven't read all of the New 52, but I've read enough. I liked the new origin to Phantom Stranger, it was a nice twist. Still curious as to who The Question is supposed to be. I thought Doctor Light was cool as a member of the JLA. I'd love for him to fall from grace though and become a villain. But isn't he dead?

I HATED what they've done to the Rogues though. The changes to Weather Wizard and then all of them having powers. Just didn't like it at all. To me, the major Rogues need to be guys with weapons, not powers. That's part of the appeal to me. I believe Captain Cold has his cold gun back though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

pubic works project posted:

I thought Doctor Light was cool as a member of the JLA... But isn't he dead?

Did you quit JLA right at Trinity War? That's pretty funny.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did you quit JLA right at Trinity War? That's pretty funny.

I didn't really quit. More like I haven't read past that yet. I quit right when the N52 came out and started back with Rebirth. So I'm backtracking.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
You guys what if the Question (from TRINITY OF SIN) is Ozymandias from Watchmen?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

You guys what if the Question (from TRINITY OF SIN) is Ozymandias from Watchmen?

I think if nothing else we can all agree that new 52 Question was the absolute worst possible take on a classic character

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if, like, Dr. Manhattan, like, points at the fourth wall, right towards the screen, and says that Ozymandias is YOU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's probably going to be a series of Watchmen VERSUS one shots where they have to fight the character they are based on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Check out this rube.

Blockhouse posted:

I think if nothing else we can all agree that new 52 Question was the absolute worst possible take on a classic character

I might be able to judge if they ever really used him.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 7, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

Hard to tell given the guy barely showed up. He was kind of cool in Trinity of Sin though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's probably going to be a series of Watchmen VERSUS one shots where they have to fight the character they are based on.

Only if the Rorschach one is the Question going to the Antarctic, finding the corpse and laughing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Only if the Rorschach one is the Question going to the Antarctic, finding the corpse and laughing.

I would buy the six issue mini of this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're going to reveal Dr. Manhattan didn't kill Rorschach but just transmuted him to the DC universe and some existing character (or just some random nobody) will be him with amnesia until he discovers the mask somehow and remembers what happened.

This will be presented as awesome and heroic and lead into his own new series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jiro posted:

I would buy the six issue mini of this.

It can be a multiple timeline story, where the Nu52 Question finds him in the past, Vic Sage finds him in the present and Renee Montoya finds him in the future. Then they all meet for snacks and agree to never discuss it again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Put Azzarello on it and I'd read it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

They're going to reveal Dr. Manhattan didn't kill Rorschach but just transmuted him to the DC universe and some existing character (or just some random nobody) will be him with amnesia until he discovers the mask somehow and remembers what happened.

A heroic recreation of him chopping that serial killer into chunks, and him breaking criminal's bones. All heroic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jiro posted:

A heroic recreation of him chopping that serial killer into chunks, and him breaking criminal's bones. All heroic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JLA Vixen preview
http://nerdist.com/vixen-returns-to-the-justice-league-in-a-new-rebirth-special-exclusive-preview/?gallery=469706#gallery

That art is pretty nice.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
that preview is good. man i'm excited for this new JLA book.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This is a terrible idea, but I'll buy it if Rorschach gets to be best buds with Travis from Taxi Driver

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I bet if you tweet this at Geoff Johns he'll block you, much in the way Bendis blocked me for guessing the outcome of CW2.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just watched the Killing Joke movie that Azzarello's credited for writing (the parts that aren't verbatim from Moore, obviously). No thanks.

Good lord, I've never seen such a blatant example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions. I understand wanting to address the criticisms of how Babs is treated in the original book, but, frankly, this is a case where they pretty much needed to let it stand on it's own, warts and all, because every step they take to try and 'fix' things just makes the whole endeavour come off as about 5 times more sexist. Because the issue was Moore was too SUBTLE about the sexual assault elements of the story, so let's have generic mobster #3 try to drug and rape Batgirl. Let's then victim blame Barbara AND have the well-publicised super-creepy fight/sex scene with Batman.

Oh, and it must've taken Azzarello all of 20 seconds to write Sassy Gay Friend.

Good god, I only watched the thing because Amazon had it up for their 99p rental thing over the holidays, but jesus christ...

The parts that are just the book's story are well done for what it is, and Hamill and Conroy do a good job with the dialogue, and hell, Tara Strong does what she CAN with what they give her, but gently caress, I'm not even sure anyone involved with the production, not Azzarello, not Sam Liu, not Dini or Timm have ever even MET a woman after that.

Oh, and the 'stinger' is the most eye-rolling thing I've ever seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I got around to reading Supergirl: Being Super today and that book is quite frankly a massive pile of poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I bet if you tweet this at Geoff Johns he'll block you, much in the way Bendis blocked me for guessing the outcome of CW2.

Writers have to block anyone that sends them ideas for legal reasons

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Writers have to block anyone that sends them ideas for legal reasons

I doubt Bendis blocked me for that as CW was already in the can at that point.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

Oh I got around to reading Supergirl: Being Super today and that book is quite frankly a massive pile of poo poo.
What exactly is so bad about? I liked it a lot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He would still, because of you send him idea now you might send him ones in the future he could unknowingly use and have a legal liability. Or use the idea you just sent him somewhere else.

Don't send writers theories or ideas.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was kinda just boring myself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

What exactly is so bad about? I liked it a lot.

Boring, directionless plot, and it gives her an entirely new backstory that's nothing like the massively popular version on tv. The zit scene was stupid and I was not impressed by the art.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Boy the Omega Men sure was depressing.

Edit: death of Hawkman has become an incomprehensible mess.

Jla atom, captain atom, Batman, and Superman were all good.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 9, 2017

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

Boring, directionless plot, and it gives her an entirely new backstory that's nothing like the massively popular version on tv. The zit scene was stupid and I was not impressed by the art.
The plot was just showing her normal teenage girl life, so I don't think it's fair to call it out when the issue is obviously setting the scene for what's to come. If that's not your cup of tea I get it, but calling it bad seems harsh.

What I don't get is why "it doesn't copy the tv show" is a criticism. There's already a comic that is literally based off the tv show that's pretty good, so if that's what you want then go for it. Not to mention Orlando's book, which is pretty obviously trying to mesh elements of the show and the comics together. But this is clearly trying to be more in the vein of Superman: American Alien, which was also a book that wasn't a conventional take on Superman and his origins. It's not an entirely new backstory, in the sense that we are meant to take it as her new canon, just a re-imagining of one.

Honestly the only legitimately bad thing about it is the drat price tag.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They don't hug! I'm so angry right now!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Today's Suicide Squad was great fun and totally worth it whether you're following the event or not.
I wish we were reading about this squad the whole series.

Riley Rossmo and Si Spurrier help too.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I like that someone at DC was like "hey, if you're gonna make this tie-in kind of a Cry Havoc thing, let me get the guy who wrote Cry Havoc, do it right"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RHATO's first arc had such a satisfying ending

And yes, they are finally a team

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still don't feel they should be so friendly. Roman will likely recover whenever someone wants to use him again.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still don't feel they should be so friendly. Roman will likely recover whenever someone wants to use him again.

Given the series is following up the previous Outlaws and RH/A, it makes sense they can be so friendly with each other though. And yeah, that is the nature of comic books but that doesn't means the resolution wasn't satisfactory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Given the series is following up the previous Outlaws and RH/A, it makes sense they can be so friendly with each other though. And yeah, that is the nature of comic books but that doesn't means the resolution wasn't satisfactory.

I am not complaining about Roman's fate. It's better then him dying as it allows him to be easily used again just by saying he recovered.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am not complaining about Roman's fate. It's better then him dying as it allows him to be easily used again just by saying he recovered.

And gives him some toys to play with in the future, what with the few panels of speaking kryptonian there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do like that they have Batman come every couple issues to validate Jason.

No guys Batman is totally okay with it!