Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Evfedu posted:

Please report back after you've finished the book.

I'll have to get back to reading it. I took a quick pause after that to read the first section of Swift to Chase because I couldn't handle another downer that big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Swift to Chase

I have to go back and diagram that whole book. Make a Dramatis Personae and a timeline. Hell, someone should make a Barron Mythos Wiki; it would be easier.

Re: John Langan

Several posts back I asked for recommendations about John Langan since I wasn't convinced by the couple of short stories I had read that Langan was a good author.

I was wrong. Langan is a good author.

What changed my mind was Renfrew's Course and Mr. Gaunt.

In Renfrew's Course Langan deftly leads the reader through a series of flashbacks and visions to a satisfying end. The Mythos element is just hinted at until the climax where it waits, passive like entropy. The Mythos antagonist felt less like a Lovecraft creation and more like somebeing out of Needful Things or Storm of the Century.

Regardless, it was well crafted.

Mr. Gaunt is Langan's love letter to Henry James (Turn of the Screw) and written very closely in his style. The Mythos element is at face value a bit silly but this only proves Langan's skill because the atmosphere he weaves in his almost meandering tale (Jamesian style) makes the menace sinister and macabre.

I recommend both stories.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Been on a cosmic horror kick lately, read:

The Rim of Morning by William Sloane
The Fisherman by John Langan
A Clark Ashton Smith collection

Liked them all. Rim of Morning is two novels, very well written but rather tame by today's standards. Smith is a contemporary of Lovecraft and writes in that same style but had me reaching for a dictionary a lot.

Fisherman came out this year and I liked it. Probably more in yalls wheelhouse. A little slow going at first but genuinely creepy. I'd recommend them all.

King is Yellow is next on the docket.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Remember that the King in Yellow stories are like proto-cosmic horror, so it's probably going to seem incredibly tame.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They've got suicide booths though, so that's pretty great.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Evfedu posted:

Please report back after you've finished the book.

I'm not that poster, but I just read this so whatever.

I read Worlds of Hurt, but I made the mistake? of reading the title story, World of Hurt, first, because the premise of that was what sold me on the collection. I really enjoyed it, and had hoped that the rest of the collection would be as awesome. I enjoyed it specifically because of the malevolent god and its heaven around which the story revolves. Instead of more stories about that, the rest of the stories are about the Misbegotten, which are a race of characters interesting enough to fill a White Wolf sourcebook. The author apparently really loves them. The other stories aren't bad, exactly, they're well written, they're just so not what I was after.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
just read actual gnostic texts if you want more yaldabaoth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skyscraper posted:

I'm not that poster, but I just read this so whatever.

I read Worlds of Hurt, but I made the mistake? of reading the title story, World of Hurt, first, because the premise of that was what sold me on the collection. I really enjoyed it, and had hoped that the rest of the collection would be as awesome. I enjoyed it specifically because of the malevolent god and its heaven around which the story revolves. Instead of more stories about that, the rest of the stories are about the Misbegotten, which are a race of characters interesting enough to fill a White Wolf sourcebook. The author apparently really loves them. The other stories aren't bad, exactly, they're well written, they're just so not what I was after.

Look I'm only halfway through the second story but I was sold the minute Jesus climbed down off his cross

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Look I'm only halfway through the second story but I was sold the minute Jesus climbed down off his cross

Also a really solid moment! I was hoping for more of that too.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Anyone read Donald Tyson's Necronomicon and Alhazred? I'm reading the latter and it's pretty good so far, but am I missing out if I haven't read Necronomicon first?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh hey I forgot to post after I finished the third story in Worlds of Hurt

That poo poo was good. Not as good a the stigmata dude story tho. On to the title track

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
can y'all recommend me some horror that also has a lot to do with family? also, anything with a good dark sense of humor. Thank.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The Blackwater series by Michael McDowell

Has a good bit of dark humor in it and you follow a family in Alabama over the course of about fifty years as weird poo poo goes down.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Someone mentioned this short story in either this or the horror thread. Anyway I was curious and it looks like the author has it free on his website. I really enjoyed it. 400 Boys by Marc Laidlaw.

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/online-fiction/400-boys/

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
brian evenson's a collapse of horses made NPR's 'best of 2016' list and it is very good, especially if you like aickman

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just finished Worlds of Hurt and now I want more like that also the title story crushed me completely

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I warned you :smith:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I really liked his novellas too, Without Purpose, Without Pity and Whom The Gods Would Destroy.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

chernobyl kinsman posted:

brian evenson's a collapse of horses made NPR's 'best of 2016' list and it is very good, especially if you like aickman

I read this New Year's weekend. It's good, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Windeye. They're both top-tier collections, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hopterque posted:

I really liked his novellas too, Without Purpose, Without Pity and Whom The Gods Would Destroy.

Are those the ones in the compilation because I read that

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Are those the ones in the compilation because I read that

Nope, separate novellas not related to the Misbegotten stuff. They are well worth reading.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I too enjoyed Worlds of Hurt.
Does he have more work about the uncaring god/misbegotten stuff?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Geokinesis posted:

I too enjoyed Worlds of Hurt.
Does he have more work about the uncaring god/misbegotten stuff?

Not as of yet to my understanding. He said - four or five years ago, maybe more - that he was working on more Misbegotten stuff, and from memory implied he had an actual narrative arc in mind for the world, but I don't think anything's been forthcoming.

For Whom the Gods Must Destroy and Without Purpose, Without Pity are really good. It's much more straight up Lovecraft - he's done some others that are like that, too, though I can't remember the names, one was about music encoding something from the universe's core that drove people insane - and while Hodge doesn't do that that often when he does he does it really loving well. Iirc a foilow-up to Without Purpose was also planned at some point.

Edit: I just checked his website and most of 2016 was a nothing for Hodge's productivity because he had a 'temporarily crippling accident'. He seems revitalised and optimistic now, though.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 12, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I see he's recommending the Kickstarted book The Lost Citadel, in which he did a novelette. Describes it as 'Walking Dead invades Middle Earth'. Sounds like it might be appealing - I've always liked dark fantasy horror because of the Gothic feel it often invokes. is it worth picking up, anyone?

Edit: I'm dumb, it's not out yet.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 12, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Neurosis posted:

Edit: I just checked his website and most of 2016 was a nothing for Hodge's productivity because he had a 'temporarily crippling accident'. He seems revitalised and optimistic now, though.

Is there something about horror authors and some sort of crippling accident/major medical trauma? I know life happens, but drat.

Also why is Worlds of Hurt not available in a dead tree edition?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I just finished Worlds of Hurt and now I want more like that also the title story crushed me completely

motherfuckin

:same:

finished it this morning and god drat did some parts really stick. Very good, though.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Also, 'Without Purpose, Without Pity' is probably one of my favorite titles for a book/movie/game, period.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GrandpaPants posted:

Also why is Worlds of Hurt not available in a dead tree edition?

The title novella is, albeit only as a signed, limited edition. You can either buy it direct from Earthling Publications, or look around on eBay and/or Abebooks for a cheaper copy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

I see he's recommending the Kickstarted book The Lost Citadel, in which he did a novelette. Describes it as 'Walking Dead invades Middle Earth'. Sounds like it might be appealing - I've always liked dark fantasy horror because of the Gothic feel it often invokes. is it worth picking up, anyone?

Edit: I'm dumb, it's not out yet.

Double-posting because I finished this last night. It's pretty good. The author selection is second-to-none. Hodge's story is, not surprisingly, one of the best.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slackerish posted:

can y'all recommend me some horror that also has a lot to do with family? also, anything with a good dark sense of humor. Thank.

For the former, practically anything by John Ajvide Lindqvist but especially Handling the Undead and Harbour.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

Double-posting because I finished this last night. It's pretty good. The author selection is second-to-none. Hodge's story is, not surprisingly, one of the best.

Where'd you get it?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

Where'd you get it?

I backed the Kickstarter, so I got the ebook and hardcover late last year.

Edit: In other Brian Hodge news, he has a new short novel out; it's a tie-in for some RPG, though which one isn't immediately clear from that link.

He also has a new novella coming out this year, titled I'll Bring You the Birds From Out of the Sky. It's being published by Cemetery Dance, so I imagine it'll be an edition of somewhere between 500 and 1000 copies, with an ebook likely following sometime later.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 16, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to find this to buy. I want to give them my loving money!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to find this to buy. I want to give them my loving money!

I asked the publisher when it goes on sale. I'll update you once I hear back.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

a foolish pianist posted:

I read this New Year's weekend. It's good, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Windeye. They're both top-tier collections, though.

have you read fugue state? how does it compare to windeye and collapse?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

I asked the publisher when it goes on sale. I'll update you once I hear back.

Thanks!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks for the Brian Hodge spam this page, I got World of Hurt and drat... I'm now looking into more of his stuff. Lost Citadel looks good too so hopefully they get it out there for non-backers soon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That RPG tie-in book I linked to is for Mummy: The Curse if anyone cares. I generally do not buy licensed stuff, but here's what Brian said about it on his Facebook page:

Brian Hodge posted:

When my back was turned this weekend, they sneaked out my newest novel. :-) This is the one I referred to last year as the seven-week novel … but it totally comes off like I wrote it in at least eight-and-a-half weeks.

Like the Hellboy novel I did, it’s the result of what I call getting to play in someone else’s yard … here, the White Wolf gaming universe in general, and specifically, the world of Mummy: the Curse, as put together by CA Suleiman and his team.

But they gave me an uncommonly long leash. As long as it hit a couple of major reveals about the way that world works and how it came to exist, it could be 100% my storyline and characters. Hence, a novel that takes place in parallel timelines both today and at the end of the last Ice Age, with repercussions stretching across more than 12,000 years. And I worked very hard to make it accessible to someone who has no familiarity with the game at all.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The Weight of the Dead, one of Hodge's short stories is free on Tor, or is 99 cents and DRM free on kindle. Not quite cosmic horror but it probably qualifies as a weird tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
test