Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

Nothing against Space Alert, but it matches one out of four criteria TorakFade mentioned. It's not a good suggestion.

Well it matches one of them better than any board game ever made (strong theme), matches another although not perfectly (it's not great at 2 but is excellent at 4), and honestly although it plays in 20 minutes you will want to play multiple trips in a row.

It's not the best suggestion for a 4-point criteria request, although that's a tall order usually anyway. Also there is the unspoken 5th criteria of "is really good" which SA matches spectacularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
How is SA playable with two? Isn't there a ship for 2p that you can print out? I'd love to play this again but only with 2p. Last time we tried it wasn't really playable with two.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still need to learn SA. I've had it for a year, and haven't managed to get it to the table. Cooperative stuff like that is hard because I can't play a solo learning game.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

After not paying close attention for more than a year, it's weird coming back and finding Quinns obsessed with Infinity, Joel Eddy with a terminal Silver Tower/Frostgrave/Guildball and now Sigmar addiction, Michael Barnes upgrading his Silver Tower and Gorechosen thing to full blown 4 Age of Sigmar army obsession, Rab from RPS writing 3 part articles about Silver Tower, Kieron Gillen running a warhammer blog, etc. 2015/2016 seems to have driven a few folks to painting miniature mans.

As a bystander, I know the grogs/goons hate Games Workshop and Age of Sigmar, but their latest management change and focus on board games seems to have pulled some board gaming people into the hobby (Quinns was probably X-wing, instead. Probably played a part elsewhere, too).
It's probably their whole plan. Release a bunch of half-baked games where you at least have to assemble the figures, and some of the buyers will like that aspect of the hobby and buy several $100 worth of figures, paint, brushes and all the other poo poo GW sells. All other buyers will still have spent $100 on the game.

Now I sound like a bitter old rear end in a top hat.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Any house rules anywhere to make shadows of brimstone less swingy and more fun? Wife got it for me for Christmas last year and I don't have the heart to give up on it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

angel opportunity posted:

How is SA playable with two? Isn't there a ship for 2p that you can print out? I'd love to play this again but only with 2p. Last time we tried it wasn't really playable with two.

You can use androids, which are functional but up the difficulty tremendously, or you can fly the Little Duckling fan expansion that involves printing out a new ship and using new audio tracks.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Ah, Little Duckling is what I was thinking of. Has anyone played it a lot, how is it compared to playing with a full 4 players?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Obvious to most but maybe not to a newbie: Space Alert is a brilliant game but if you or a player doesn't like being under time pressure then give it a pass because it won't work for you.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy crap guys, I have money to burn but not that much money.

I am making a list of everything that has been suggested and will check them all out, Space alert and Mage knights seem to be top picks and they're both from Vlaada Chvatil, looks like he knows how to make good boardgames.

Unfortunately while I have no trouble with english most of the people I play with aren't really proficient so I will have to prioritize language indipendent games or those that have been translated here. Luckily most big-name games have been translated, I guess it's a good time to be a board gamer nowadays. Voyages of marco polo is actually by fellow italians so that goes on top of the list too.

Thanks again to everybody, didn't really expect such a wealth of suggestions :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 8, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Got a family thing coming up. Six people. They'd like some boardgames. It's me, my partner, my parents, my brother and his fiancee. Boardgames they've played as a group:

A) Carcassone - They god drat love Carcassone. Asking them why they like Carcassone elicits no useful information. I don't think my parents love it when my brother plays super aggressively/blocking though.

B) Codenames - demonstrating I cannot read a room, I thought everyone loved this, but mum and dad are not enthused

C) Agricola - proving that I cannot read a room at all, I thought no-one except me liked this, but mum and dad are keen to play it again (not sure about my brother, his fiancee hasn't played it)

D) That Pictonary game with playdoh - massive hit

E) Ticket to ride: Everyone would rather play Carcassone

F) 7 Wonders: Not a success. Dad's statement was he doesn't understand how to win, and no-one really enjoys it.

Other random input into the heuristic: I'd floated Pictomania as an option - looks like a a fit to me - with the elevator pitch of 'it's like pictonary except everyone draws and guesses at once' and that got smacked down as too intense. The brother and I were talking about captain sonar, and Dad is super keen to play it.

Some of them have played other games:

Brother + his GF: Resistance Avalon - they did not like it, apparently because the other group they play with are like 'you didn't make the optimal play thus traitor'

Brother: Tons of other stuff - doesn't like captain sonar much.

My partner has been playing pandemic legacy with me and another couple and she doesn't like it as to much quarterbacking, and she doesn't like galaxy truckers either.

I'm not sure what to get. My shortlist is basically 'colt express? Maybe (or is it to take that-y)? Settlers of Catan?'

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 9, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

I still need to learn SA. I've had it for a year, and haven't managed to get it to the table. Cooperative stuff like that is hard because I can't play a solo learning game.

yes you can :getin:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm not sure what to get. My shortlist is basically 'colt express? Maybe (or is it to take that-y)? Settlers of Catan?'
7 Wonders (or Sushi Go! Party) since drafting games work well with larger player numbers?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Got a family thing coming up. Six people. They'd like some boardgames. It's me, my partner, my parents, my brother and his fiancee. Boardgames they've played as a group:

A) Carcassone - They god drat love Carcassone. Asking them why they like Carcassone elicits no useful information. I don't think my parents love it when my brother plays super aggressively/blocking though.

B) Codenames - demonstrating I cannot read a room, I thought everyone loved this, but mum and dad are not enthused

C) Agricola - proving that I cannot read a room at all, I thought no-one except me liked this, but mum and dad are keen to play it again (not sure about my brother, his fiancee hasn't played it)

D) That Pictonary game with playdoh - massive hit

E) Ticket to ride: Everyone would rather play Carcassone

Other random input into the heuristic: I'd floated Pictomania as an option - looks like a a fit to me - with the elevator pitch of 'it's like pictonary except everyone draws and guesses at once' and that got smacked down as too intense. The brother and I were talking about captain sonar, and Dad is super keen to play it.

Some of them have played other games:

Brother + his GF: Resistance Avalon - they did not like it, apparently because the other group they play with are like 'you didn't make the optimal play thus traitor'

Brother: Tons of other stuff - doesn't like captain sonar much.

My partner has been playing pandemic legacy with me and another couple and she doesn't like it as to much quarterbacking, and she doesn't like galaxy truckers either.

TWILIGHT IMPERIUM

ARKHAM HORROR

AXIS AND ALLIES GLOBAL 1940

NEW ANGELES

New Angeles being the best

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

7 Wonders (or Sushi Go! Party) since drafting games work well with larger player numbers?

Oh, poo poo - will update the original post. No-one likes 7 wonders because they don't 'get' how to win and we've played it 4-5 times. Sushi go party is definitely on my short list though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

No-one likes 7 wonders because they don't 'get' how to win and we've played it 4-5 times.

lmao

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah like most of Vlaada's stuff (or at least I'm thinking of Galaxy Trucker) it has a lot of little rules that seem fiddly but are totally intuitive and make sense once you play a game or two (like the way missiles or the scout ships work). The way I usually intro it is: it seems overwhelming but keep in mind that the only thing you can do in any given turn is move in ONE direction or push ONE (of two, for the simulator missions) button. The simulator missions introduce topics in waves (you don't deal with any C actions or internal threats at all, then you slowly add them in) but is still insanely fun, especially since most of your group will have never experienced anything like it before.

Good luck getting it to the table tho, it is totally worth it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah like most of Vlaada's stuff (or at least I'm thinking of Galaxy Trucker) it has a lot of little rules that seem fiddly but are totally intuitive and make sense once you play a game or two (like the way missiles or the scout ships work). The way I usually intro it is: it seems overwhelming but keep in mind that the only thing you can do in any given turn is move in ONE direction or push ONE (of two, for the simulator missions) button. The simulator missions introduce topics in waves (you don't deal with any C actions or internal threats at all, then you slowly add them in) but is still insanely fun, especially since most of your group will have never experienced anything like it before.

Good luck getting it to the table tho, it is totally worth it.

Space Alert is one of my favorite games of all time. I think the best way to learn is following the staged progression in the book, but don't worry to much about giving it a whirl, getting the rules wrong and dying horrible because that's half the fun

I have some sympathy? The family obviously has some huge skill disparities, so 7 wonders feels random because it's actually dependent on seating order because having someone passing to you that never hates drafts (and sometimes two!) is a huge advantage.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 9, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Space Alert is one of my favorite games of all time. I think the best way to learn is following the staged progression in the book, but don't worry to much about giving it a whirl, getting the rules wrong and dying horrible because that's half the fun

Yeah dying is hilarious. We died terribly last night because one of our guys only did one action at the very end of phase 2 but it was hilarious yelling "why were you just standing there :psyduck:" at him while poo poo collapsed around us.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I done hosed up.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I played 1846 over the weekend.

I now understand the 18xx lyfe

God save my wallet

E: Also played Fuse, Lanterns, Parade, Concordia, Captain Sonar, Keyflower, Steampunk Rally, Paris Connection, Splendor, and Food Chain Magnate

Fellis fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 9, 2017

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Got a family thing coming up. Six people. They'd like some boardgames. It's me, my partner, my parents, my brother and his fiancee.

Geek Social Fallacy #5: Friends Do Everything Together

If the group is 6 people or more, it's not a bad idea to split into smaller groups. This way, each group can play a game that appeals more to their personal dynamics, rather than trying to find a big game that satisfies everybody.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 9, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, 6 people is at the point where I'd do a light party-ish game (Sushi Go is great) to start and then split into a couple of groups. There are lots of great 3-player games that each appeal to a subset of your group.

Love me some 6 player Keyflower though. But people who don't like the aggressive plays in Carcassonne probably won't see the appeal.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jabor posted:

Yeah, 6 people is at the point where I'd do a light party-ish game (Sushi Go is great) to start and then split into a couple of groups.

Love me some 6 player Keyflower though. But people who don't like the aggressive plays in Carcassonne probably won't see the appeal.

Yeah I'd say that if they can't handle 7 Wonders then Keyflower is out of the question.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

If the group is 6 people or more, it's not a bad idea to split into smaller groups. This way, each group can play a game that appeals more to their personal dynamics, rather than trying to find a big game that satisfies everybody.

These aren't geeks, its his family.
:eng101:
Most people like to play a board game as an excuse to socialize with each other, breaking up into smaller groups for the sake of playing better games defeats that purpose! Everyone seemed to enjoy the clay pictionary parlor game, so I suggest something like The Resistance or Dixit which work well with lots of people.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, it's mostly an activity to do while socializing rather than the activity being the focus. We're going away for a family holiday thing for someone's birthday. Basically they like to play a game after dinner while drinking for an hour or two. Lots of shooting the breeze with the game. Even ignoring the complexity, something like space alert probably wouldn't be a good fit (though I LOVE that game) because it occupies 100% of attention and leaves no time for chat.

Dixit is a great idea - might try that or Mysterium (the no talking ghost might suck a bit, but hey)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I have some sympathy? The family obviously has some huge skill disparities, so 7 wonders feels random because it's actually dependent on seating order because having someone passing to you that never hates drafts (and sometimes two!) is a huge advantage.
7 Wonders' scoring system is also relatively complicated for its weight and length, so I can see how people might have trouble.

E: I don't know what 6 player Love Letter is like but it might be worth checking out too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, it's mostly an activity to do while socializing rather than the activity being the focus. We're going away for a family holiday thing for someone's birthday. Basically they like to play a game after dinner while drinking for an hour or two. Lots of shooting the breeze with the game. Even ignoring the complexity, something like space alert probably wouldn't be a good fit (though I LOVE that game) because it occupies 100% of attention and leaves no time for chat.

Dixit is a great idea - might try that or Mysterium (the no talking ghost might suck a bit, but hey)

Sushi Go! Party is very much what you're looking for. People who don't game might bulk a bit at first, but it's a great card game that's leagues above Uno, but still allows a casual atmosphere with table talk.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: I don't know what 6 player Love Letter is like but it might be worth checking out too.

Is this made possible through an expansion or alternative version or something? Base Love Letter has a 4-player max.

Sushi Go/Sushi Go Party makes a fine family game for people who have never played designer board games, much more so than 7 Wonders IMO where the few extra mechanics can make it difficult to teach in a few minutes. And once people are familiar with the rules, games of Sushi Go can really fly by.'

edit: vvvv dip, thanks!

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 9, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Narrator posted:

Is this made possible through an expansion or alternative version or something? Base Love Letter has a 4-player max.
Yeah, there's a new version that goes up to 8.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Looking to get some meeple containers. Anyone know of something matches these (https://www.amazon.com/STORAGE-CONT...eeple+container) size wise, but are square? I'd rather have square containers. They are 4x6x6, and for some reason all square containers are much smaller than that.

Also I've heard theres a set up for food chain magnate that allows you to stack all the job cards vertically. Where can I get this?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, it's mostly an activity to do while socializing rather than the activity being the focus. We're going away for a family holiday thing for someone's birthday. Basically they like to play a game after dinner while drinking for an hour or two. Lots of shooting the bre

Consider Camel Up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

Looking to get some meeple containers. Anyone know of something matches these (https://www.amazon.com/STORAGE-CONT...eeple+container) size wise, but are square? I'd rather have square containers. They are 4x6x6, and for some reason all square containers are much smaller than that.

Also I've heard theres a set up for food chain magnate that allows you to stack all the job cards vertically. Where can I get this?

Protip: When buying plastic containers, or other generic storage things do not buy anything specifically made for board games. Its a total rip off! You can get what you are after at the dollar store in all sizes and shapes:
https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-Collection-Sandwich-Storage-Container/dp/B0040QD9MG/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TorakFade posted:

I crave more board games. My thirst for cardboard is insatiable, and I have money to burn.

So I am looking for suggestions on what to get next. I love games with strong theme, a nice sense of growing/improving your stuff, that play well 2-to-4 players since at the table it's usually either me+wife, or me+wife+another couple. Ideally lasting 1 to 2 hours per game.

I personally prefer medium to heavy games with little to no interaction or cooperatives, but I also like having something lighter and more interactive for playing with family, non-gamer friends, or the occasion when we want to mess with each other.

Currently owned games in rough order of how much I like them + comments:

- Agricola : one of the first "real" games I got and the most played by a mile. Very tense, prone to analysis paralysis and very long playtimes, but it's just so engrossing...
- 7 Wonders + Cities: got this only recently for Christmas, already fell in love and ordered Cities. Kind of a very light Agricola that you can bust out at parties or when you don't have 3 hours to play.
- Eldritch Horror: I love the RPG style of improving your character and equipment, and the feeling of desperation you get when you inevitably fail due to its (maybe too) high luck factor. Makes for great stories. A bit on the long side.
- Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the cursed island : got on a whim few months ago and still waiting for the right time to actually play it, but it seems right up my alley as a mix between agricola and eldritch
- Arkham Horror: I love it, everybody else doesn't because they can't wrap their head around it so it's collecting dust. I got Eldritch as a replacement and it went much smoother with everybody
- Settlers of Catan: actually I kinda hate it, it's totally random and you have to constantly deal with people and ugh I don't even know why I have it, I sure as hell didn't buy it

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

clearly you should buy https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97915/bios-megafauna

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Rutibex posted:

Protip: When buying plastic containers, or other generic storage things do not buy anything specifically made for board games. Its a total rip off! You can get what you are after at the dollar store in all sizes and shapes:
https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-Collection-Sandwich-Storage-Container/dp/B0040QD9MG/

Yea, I should probably check out the dollar store then. Cause its 11 bucks for 3 square ones vs 15 for 15 rounds ones.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

jmzero posted:

Consider Camel Up.

Excuse me, I've been informed that it's actually Amel Cup

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thanks to your guys' advice, I picked up mansions of madness for my family. We played the short adventure tonight, and had a blast even though we couldn't figure out how the puzzle worked (plus some other assorted mistakes). We're gonna try again tomorrow with a better grasp of the rules and system, but it is nice to have a game around that we can all enjoy. Hopefully I can find the first edition on the cheap and convert it for parts.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

jmzero posted:

Consider Camel Up.

That looks pretty good, will read some reviews but looks strong. I own Sushi Go, but might consider the upgrade to party. Colt Express was another game I was looking at but that was partly me justifying something I wanted to buy to myself.

I'd taken Love Letter out of consideration as 4 players online but that 8 player version looks excellent.

The other one I'd seen as a good opener/social game was Ladies and Gentlemen, is that as good as the shut up and sit down guys make it sound?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

That looks pretty good, will read some reviews but looks strong. I own Sushi Go, but might consider the upgrade to party. Colt Express was another game I was looking at but that was partly me justifying something I wanted to buy to myself.

I'd taken Love Letter out of consideration as 4 players online but that 8 player version looks excellent.

The other one I'd seen as a good opener/social game was Ladies and Gentlemen, is that as good as the shut up and sit down guys make it sound?

I haven't played it, but I think a fair bit of the SU&SD guys' enjoyment comes from being able to get into character and embrace the silly. So it might be a matter of whether you think your family will get into that.

I'll second Camel C/Up as a good family gateway game.

borracho
Sep 17, 2002

Oven Wrangler

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Other options would be Steampunk Rally and Snake Oil. Both accommodate 6+ players, are easy to teach, and play fairly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Big multiplayer game for family? Spyfall, codenames