Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

AlmightyBob posted:

I remember being amazed that Rift had 15 minute maintenance when WoW (at the time, I haven't played in years) took all of my tuesday morning (I had Tuesdays off)

fwiw, wow usually has super short maintenance now like most other companies. They finally updated from whatever ancient set up they had previously and even major patches involve like, 1-2 hours of downtime at most now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I remember when Storm legion was announced and it was like double the landmass of the original game and the new souls were cool and came WITH the expansion. And the first tier of raiding was good even! I mean it wasn't hammerknell but it was good

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Minrad posted:

fwiw, wow usually has super short maintenance now like most other companies. They finally updated from whatever ancient set up they had previously and even major patches involve like, 1-2 hours of downtime at most now.

Rift's concept was and still remains way, way ahead of the time for downtime. I recall a goon worked for them but wouldn't tell me how they did it. Probably a really smart HA/testbed.

I recall multiple patches taking >2hrs recently. It wasn't just their update speed but consistent return to stability as well.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I guess there was an update

http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/news/2017-01-04-power-of-the-primal-matrix/

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Of course, the thing the game needed is even more grinds after you get to cap. Why couldn't we think of that before?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oh boy, a half-assed sphere grid.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I am legitimately surprised this game still gets updates.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Again, why the hell are they doing poo poo like this instead of putting player spaceships in the game and selling them? Star Citizen proved you don't even need a coherent plan when you start taking preorders.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Is star citizen an MMO?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xolve posted:

TL;DR the people that crashed EQII who eventually got fired from Daybreak games went to work for Trion and decided to run that poo poo into the ground too.
Why settle for killing one game when you can kill two?

So EQ2 isn't good either I gather?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

EQ2 was always super bad

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rexicon1 posted:

Is star citizen an MMO?

Its somehow every genre

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rexicon1 posted:

Is star citizen an MMO?

it's E/N.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rexicon1 posted:

Is star citizen an MMO?

well it's a ground fps, trading sim space flying interplantary online ganker space dock walking simulator so I don't see why we can't throw massive and multiplayer onto that list.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

Is star citizen an MMO?

Star Citizen is everything and nothing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mostly nothing because it's still not done.

Dockworker
Feb 22, 2011

Just you wait, the union is gonna hear about this.

So they're basically copying the artifact traits and mythic+ systems from WoW.

The ship's still sinking, but we got a fancy new rudder!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I got more of a FF10 Sphere Grid vibe but I also didn't really read it closely

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Dockworker posted:

So they're basically copying the artifact traits and mythic+ systems from WoW.

The ship's still sinking, but we got a fancy new rudder!

mp5 posted:

I got more of a FF10 Sphere Grid vibe but I also didn't really read it closely

It's like they ripped off both and combined the worst parts of each. Impressive.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

It will completely bug out and you will have to reset your character when it does.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

gradenko_2000 posted:

So EQ2 isn't good either I gather?

EQ2's design motto seems to be "there are no bad ideas", they just kind of jam-pack every little idea they have into the game without any thought about whether it's good or how it'll affect existing systems

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Did they kill the game yet?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

EQ2 isn't a bad game. There's a lot worse games out there that you could pick. It's just very, very, very bloated with features.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I tried EQ2 a while back during a double xp weekend and it was actually pretty fun. There are tons of classes, the world is absolutely huge and there is just tons to explore and see. Once the xp rate went back to normal the game started to feel like a slog so we quit, but it was fun while it lasted. If you are curious about how the game ended up the cost of a months subscription is probably worth it.

The game definitely has an absurd number of systems/gimmicks/etc though, many that no one uses because they were poorly incentivized, poorly implemented, poorly thought out, or more often than not a mixture of all three. The dungeon maker seems like a prime example of this.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The main problem I have with EQ2 is holy gently caress the skill bloat. By the time my Warlock made it to Kunark content She had like 4 different 12 slot skillbars filled with attacks and another two skillbars filled with utility stuff and items. It's hard to suss out an intelligent logical flow to your abilities and you wind up just hitting buttons and watching your character spaz out

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm surprised that no MMO since EQ2 has tried anything like /pizza

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, that was easily the worst part of the game for me. I never got anywhere close to a max level character and I still was reaching a point where I had to look up how to add additional action bars to the UI just to fit all my skills on the screen.

And that was without poo poo like the bonus AA screens that add even more.

And then you had to deal with leveling those skills. So not only did you have that many skills, but they all had different ranks, too.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
A lot of those abilities were of the identical-but-more-damage variety, too. Sometimes they shared a cool down with a lower level version but it really is was a game of "hit whatever isn't on cool down piano edition."

And yeah, you also had to rank up each spell. So on top of the fact that you get a bunch of freakin' repeat skills while levelling, they also each started at rank 1 out of I believe 12 ranks. They were garbage until you got to rank 4 at least.

EQ2 was also being developed back before the industry settled on using Graphics Cards to drive most of their rendering, and by the time that became apparent they had already invested too much into their CPU driven game engine to rework it. Between that and their efforts to "future proof" the game's visuals (seriously they advertised the fact they had built the game with graphic settings beyond what PCs at the time could handle) the game ran like absolute rear end! Oh, and the character animations looks like they shoved interns into the mocap booth and said "HAM IT UP!!"

EDIT: vvv Everybody got to start from one of four basic classes, Fighter, Scout, Mage and Priest, and then specialize from there. First to one of three sub rolls (IE Fighter would become a Warrior, Brawler or Crusader), and then to two final classes for each of the three sub rolls with a sort of "Good & Evil" theme (IE Crusader would become a Paladin or Shadow Knight). The final classes differed from one another, some moreso than others, and sometimes they differed more in theme than in function. I had always figured that this would become a pain at higher levels since you could end up with one faction having an outright better final class, but I don't think I ever got past level 30.

I believe they were trying to get in on the class upgrade thing that Ragnarok Online had since that game was popular at the time, it's definitely the vibe that I got from that whole thing. Eventually they dropped all that and let you pick the final class you wanted from the get-go.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 8, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
EverQuest 2 also kept a lot of the stuff EverQuest 1 had, like getting a spell that does the same thing another spell previously did. For tanks, this was a good thing, since paladin and shadowknight spells typically had a lot of threat attached to them, so you could just keep several old spells on the bar to build threat on the cheap.

But nothing explained this in either game; both games suffered from THE VISION where most of the fun was supposed to be in the discovery of what the gently caress you even did.

I didn't play much of EQ2 but I remember there were like three specializations for each class type or something like that, and I remember playing the evil version of the monk. I always thought that was a little weird, but that was the original intent of the PvP and such in EQ1, good versus evil versus neutral :v:

e: Now I'm tempted to download the game again and give it a try. I wonder if I still have comped time on it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

i am tim! posted:

EQ2 was also being developed back before the industry settled on using Graphics Cards to drive most of their rendering, and by the time that became apparent they had already invested too much into their CPU driven game engine to rework it. Between that and their efforts to "future proof" the game's visuals (seriously they advertised the fact they had built the game with graphic settings beyond what PCs at the time could handle) the game ran like absolute rear end! Oh, and the character animations looks like they shoved interns into the mocap booth and said "HAM IT UP!!"

It was beyond just absurd CPU driving. They completely did not expect multi-core processing to take off at all and were basing their theoretical system specs on there being single core 6GHz processors a year or two after the game launched. Hence why even today the game can still chug with top of the line processors because none of them can hit their lofty benchmark.

John Dyne posted:

EverQuest 2 also kept a lot of the stuff EverQuest 1 had, like getting a spell that does the same thing another spell previously did. For tanks, this was a good thing, since paladin and shadowknight spells typically had a lot of threat attached to them, so you could just keep several old spells on the bar to build threat on the cheap.

That pretty much never worked because the higher level but differently named version of the spell almost always shared a cooldown with the base version.

I went back and played on the EQ2 TLE server for a little bit and right as rain, playing any class was fine right until about level 20 and the new abilities would just keep coming and making GBS threads up your skillbar from there.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

eq2 is a bad game

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
All MMOs are bad game so yes, you are correct.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Percelus posted:

eq2 is a bad game

apparently Massively disagreed with you six years ago

because they still show it proudly on their website

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
weren't Massively also really enthusiastic about Wildstar?

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

inflatable fish posted:

weren't Massively also really enthusiastic about Wildstar?

they were incredibly enthusiastic about anything that wasnt wow iirc, even if the game they were enthusing about was complete garbage

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Seconding EQ2 having problems. I installed EQ2 again yesterday and holy poo poo it runs terribly on a bleeding edge computer. Like you can't even make the (bad for the time it was released) graphics look good because if you do the thing becomes a slideshow any time a particle effect shows up or you turn the camera.

I can't believe they still haven't implemented a fix for that after all these years.

All that being said it does have some amazing fluff features to pad out the world though. Every class and race gets unique stuff they can do, even if it's cosmetic. A necromancer working in concert with other necromancers can turn an entire raid into a horde of scary, spooky, skeletons for instance. MMO's like WoW would never take a chance with poo poo like that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 9, 2017

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

John Dyne posted:

apparently Massively disagreed with you six years ago

because they still show it proudly on their website

Wasn't this the year that EQ2 went F2P?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The amazing thing about EQ2 is despite the SUPER ADVANCED GRAPHICS that run horribly, even if it ran perfectly fine it would still look like poo poo regardless because the art direction is absolutely horrible. It's the most generic, ugly looking western MMO around, and that says a lot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I tried EQ2 three times. The first time was relatively early in its development; I think Frogloks hadn't been released, and the entire tutorial sequence was on a boat. I made landfall after some lovely fighting, and quit.

The second time, I rolled an elf or something. I spawned in some gorgeous forest... which ended up looking like low-poly poo poo by the time I turned everything down to run half-decently. I found some ~collectible~ worms, and the first NPC I met was some fairy girl with the shrillest loving voice. I got a headache and quit.

The third time must have been a bit after Christmas one year, because I spawned in some lovely, generic-looking dark elf(?) town and there were enormous candy canes sticking out everywhere. Framerate was hilariously bad, and there were a bunch of angry turds marked 'wolf' outside of town, so I quit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I like how EQ2 let your character learn other languages. I didn't like how I had to grind 1,000 of whatever race(s) spoke that language, hoping for a set of drops, to do it.

• Locked thread