Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm surprised people still get upset about Solo mode.

Solo Mode is a good thing BTW.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I heard someone made first contact, but judging by the 'right way to play' argument going on that might not be true?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

No, no, quite true. The aliens are here, but in a totally uninteractive "cutscene" that Frontier won't do anything further with for 2 months because... :frontear:

It looked cool though.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh yeah, I had to go one more page back, no one is talking about it as it was sort of boring. Oh well.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

AcidRonin posted:

So I moved to play with some friends and now I can't find RES's to gently caress around in. Anybody have a method for finding them besides flying around in empire space hoping for rings?

Compromised Nav Beacons have become my favorite hunting spots. No asteroids to crash into.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

tooterfish posted:

But my optimum credits per hour?

Video games aren't about having fun, they're about making numbers go up as efficiently as possible.

I got that all out of the way so I can spend my time doing fun stuff unrelated to grubbing miserably for cash while constantly risking days worth of gameplay being lost in one death/rebut.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Finally got my garbage Clipper to dock in Xihe, but apparently missions are all disabled for Reasons. Where are all the cool kids hanging out now? I just want to Haz.

e: Should I just Rez when I'm drunk, High when I'm sober, until the next money pump comes along?

vvvv: I'm on it but I'm so un-caught-up

e: holy gently caress this orders video is incredible

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 9, 2017

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Get in on discord. Everything you wanna know about what to do goes on there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought a space van, put in bigger cargo containers, a fuel scoop and a 2B FSD. The hardest part of trading is getting to the stations in a decent amount of time without overshooting them. When should I drop out of supercruise and what speed should I approach? I can't figure out why sometimes my throttle can only go up a little instead of maxing out, does it have to do with planet gravity?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I generally max out the the throttle until it shows about 10 or 12 seconds left to arrival, then throttle down into the middle of the blue zone. Don't worry too much about distance, you want to keep the timer down to about 7 seconds and you'll make a smooth deceleration until you can drop out of supercruise safely.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bought a space van, put in bigger cargo containers, a fuel scoop and a 2B FSD. The hardest part of trading is getting to the stations in a decent amount of time without overshooting them. When should I drop out of supercruise and what speed should I approach? I can't figure out why sometimes my throttle can only go up a little instead of maxing out, does it have to do with planet gravity?

The FSD is inhibited by gravity wells, yes. Also, if you target an object/scan you can drop out at, your FSD will throttle back similarly unless you untarget it.

Approach at full speed until the time to impact gets down to 6s, then immediately put your throttle into the middle of the sweet spot (the area that is highlighted in the UI). With the throttle in that position, you will stay at 6s to impact and the drive will slow you down automatically until you can drop out safely. If time to impact gets <5s your drive will slip out in the gravity well: go ahead and start a loop-the-loop to bleed off speed. If you are pro and aiming for a moon or other similar object around a larger body (like a gas giant), you can dive into the opposite side of the larger gravity well to bleed off the speed if you are going to overshoot.

For planetary approaches, I would recommend 10-12 seconds time to impact so you aren't overspeed for the glide.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Why are system lockdowns a thing? (I know why, :frontear: ) I was looking around to see how long they last and one of the first things I see is an older post about some poor bastard in an FDL stuck because he sold his fuel scoop to do some bounty hunting and suddenly got locked out of refitting and didn't have the range to make the next station system. Who the gently caress thinks being stuck in the one place for maybe a whole week being unable to do anything is good gameplay?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

adamantium|wang posted:

Why are system lockdowns a thing? (I know why, :frontear: ) I was looking around to see how long they last and one of the first things I see is an older post about some poor bastard in an FDL stuck because he sold his fuel scoop to do some bounty hunting and suddenly got locked out of refitting and didn't have the range to make the next station system. Who the gently caress thinks being stuck in the one place for maybe a whole week being unable to do anything is good gameplay?
At least there's the Fuel Rats.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

adamantium|wang posted:

That person deserves all the pain they get for flying without a fuel scoop.

Like adequate rebuy, never fly without a scoop.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

DancingShade posted:

That person deserves all the pain they get for flying without a fuel scoop.

Like adequate rebuy, never fly without a scoop.

You don't need a scoop to fly in system and it's a reasonable assumption that you can add it back when you're ready to leave.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Parallelwoody posted:

You don't need a scoop to fly in system and it's a reasonable assumption that you can add it back when you're ready to leave.

Well you say that and it sounds reasonable but then you look back at the unfortunate FDL pilot and yeah.

Probably a safe assumption in a system that isn't chock full of player traffic.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I feel like now is also a good time to mention that there a few systems that sell Type 9s but don't sell C6 FSDs making it impossible to leave the system with said Type 9.

Though at least now you can do a ship transfer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In the first beta I couldn't return to the starting location with my new eagle because it didn't have the range and there was no way to upgrade it at the time :v:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

adamantium|wang posted:

I think that might actually have been due to UA bombing rather than Lockdown.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Astroniomix posted:

I feel like now is also a good time to mention that there a few systems that sell Type 9s but don't sell C6 FSDs making it impossible to leave the system with said Type 9.

Though at least now you can do a ship transfer.

Those systems may have sold the fsds at some point. Outfitting is variable over time based on a variety of factors.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I miss Robigo. My record was something like 100m credits over 2 hours.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

sincx posted:

I miss Robigo. My record was something like 100m credits over 2 hours.

I miss Robigo if only for the novelty of watching ~10 or so Fed Security/Pirates all fly past me at once into the gravity well of a star, it was :frontear: as gently caress, but minus the backing up out of the star part.

edit: I am starting to think there is something actively sinister manipulating the RNG for Marco Qwent related activities.

Not that I mind killing animes in space, but seriously, of all the NPC's in the game to get hired to fight me? And during my final mission for Marco Qwent grinding? Is MECHA MAID the B Team or something?

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Meatsicle posted:

because they're avoiding the interaction within the game world, not by gaming the system.
So "Lol my e-morality reeeeeee" then? :v:

Meatsicle posted:

the game was designed like an MMO, but it's not an MMO. it's like Frontier doesn't know what they want the game to be. such a shame.
What they want the game to be is all things to all people, which is probably why so many people are eternally up in arms about it not quite meeting their expectations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The middle of the blue "sweet spot" TFS mentioned is actually 75% throttle, so bind that to some button and hit it when your not-actually-an-ETA hits 6 seconds.

Pilchenstein posted:

What they want the game to be is all things to all people, which is probably why so many people are eternally up in arms about it not quite meeting their expectations.

A preview for when Star Citizen launches in 2030.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

AcidRonin posted:

So I moved to play with some friends and now I can't find RES's to gently caress around in. Anybody have a method for finding them besides flying around in empire space hoping for rings?

Use the galactic map filter to look for extraction economies is a good first start.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

tooterfish posted:

But my optimum credits per hour?

Video games aren't about having fun, they're about making numbers go up as efficiently as possible.

For some people making the numbers (aka score) go up as efficiently as possible is fun, and it's been this way since the dawn of video games:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok... I've upgraded my DBS as much as I can and my jump range fully loaded with light military plating, full guns, full cargo etc is 31.28 LY.

Tomorrow I'll start hauling a small amount of travel guides to Colonia in this thing. Only ~36 jumps for my first 960ish LY leg apparently so I should make it before the 3 weeks are up.

Have to unlock Palin somehow. May as well do it by playing bicycle courier for GalCop

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I will never understand why people take not taking things seriously so seriously. Like, being a sperg is such a bad thing people advocate literal suicide???

I'll stick with my obsession with spaceships, thank you very much.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'll take What Is Hyperbole for $100 Alex.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I'll take "That's Not How Let's Make a Deal Works" you petaQ

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Good Dumplings posted:

I'll take "That's Not How Let's Make a Deal Works" you petaQ

Oh I see. You're in the wrong video game. Here let me help.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627820

Also you might be mocked for unironic usage of "generic klingon word that is supposed to be vaguely derogatory and is overused by erotic roleplayers".

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Pilchenstein posted:

Not quite, but A for effort

quote:

So they're just dumb? Got it

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I like how stations use the first three letters from your cmdr name for your callsign. It's a nice touch.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Oh I see. You're in the wrong video game. Here let me help.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627820

Also you might be mocked for unironic usage of "generic klingon word that is supposed to be vaguely derogatory and is overused by erotic roleplayers".

:allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

Actually you do, since your system drive also consumes fuel. This means you can get stranded if you run out of fuel while flying in-system.

This is especially relevant in the 99,99999999999999% of the galaxy without any stations to refuel at. OR the special snowflake stations without refueling. Those are always a good joke, Frontier! :shepface:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Meatsicle posted:

So they're just dumb? Got it
It feels kind of cliche at this point but :allears:

The game is what is mate and even if the secret method of convincing them to rip up the entire networking system and replace it with a non-instanced client/server system is complaining about how e-dishonourable solo play is, you should at the very least be doing it on a forum they actually read.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Pilchenstein posted:

It feels kind of cliche at this point but :allears:

The game is what is mate and even if the secret method of convincing them to rip up the entire networking system and replace it with a non-instanced client/server system is complaining about how e-dishonourable solo play is, you should at the very least be doing it on a forum they actually read.

I don't give a gently caress about e-honor, I get why people do it. You're right though, it is what it is.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How maneuverable are the more expensive ships? With a HOTAS and Flight Assist off (does that help with dodging?), how close to the Falcon escape in TFA can you get?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So I got a hotas over the holidays and I really want to get back into this game now that it sounds like it is 2 inches deep and a mile wide. I was planning on restarting, I never got past the Cobra first time I played. Any advice for starting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How maneuverable are the more expensive ships? With a HOTAS and Flight Assist off (does that help with dodging?), how close to the Falcon escape in TFA can you get?

For that kind of manoeuvrability you'll definitely need something smaller than a Python. The Cobra MkIV is the closest equivalent of the Falcon size-wise, but it's not as manoeuvrable as the Cobra MkIII.

• Locked thread