Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

TheChirurgeon posted:

it certainly took place before Rodgers ran the table on the likes of Philadelphia, Chicago, Houston, Minnesota, and Detroit

I just want to hazard a thought that maybe teams make big runs when they face bad or medicore competition moreso than when their QB suddenly remembers he can play at a high level

e: The Packers certainly looked more capable in this playoff game, but they were playing at home and will be even more injured going to Dallas next week. I don't see how the team is stronger than it was the last time they played, which was in Green Bay. I'd rather be playing the Packers right now than the Giants

Don't forget that one team that beat Dallas twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

TheChirurgeon posted:

it certainly took place before Rodgers ran the table on the likes of Philadelphia, Chicago, Houston, Minnesota, and Detroit

I just want to hazard a thought that maybe teams make big runs when they face bad or medicore competition moreso than when their QB suddenly remembers he can play at a high level

e: The Packers certainly looked more capable in this playoff game, but they were playing at home and will be even more injured going to Dallas next week. I don't see how the team is stronger than it was the last time they played, which was in Green Bay. I'd rather be playing the Packers right now than the Giants

I'll grant you that there's a major difference in the win/loss column when playing different competition, but if you've watched the Packers throughout the year, there is a massive difference between how Rodgers was playing in Sept./Oct. versus now, his accuracy, decision making, etc.

Also we hopefully won't fumble five times when we play you this time. We've been pretty good with that recently also.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

TheChirurgeon posted:

seriously no part of me believes that a trip to Miami had any impact on the Giants' performance today, but after seeing fallout from Romo's Cabo trip (when we had a freakin' bye) for three goddamn years, I plan to enjoy every second of this bullshit media storm

Really though, the funniest part of Romo's trip wasn't even Romo. It was TO crying in the press conference. *sniff* THAT'S REALLY UNFAIR

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

seriously no part of me believes that a trip to Miami had any impact on the Giants' performance today, but after seeing fallout from Romo's Cabo trip (when we had a freakin' bye) for three goddamn years, I plan to enjoy every second of this bullshit media storm

Wasn't it mostly Jessica SImpson's fault?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I distinctly remember Aaron Rodgers bailing out the Dallas D in that first game; couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at the time. Tonight's game was a crappy offense being unable to keep its awesome defense off the field. Once the fatigue finally set in for New York, Rodgers unleashed the dragon and that was church.

Dallas has a much better offense, but a much crappier defense. Best case scenario (for Dallas) is a long, boring game where Zeke just runs forever into the horizon. Worst case would be a shootout.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Don't forget that one team that beat Dallas twice.

Losses are transitive. The Browns beat the Chargers and can definitely beat the Chiefs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Houston and Minnesota have good Ds.

Though I think Min had fallen apart at that point.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

I Can't Believe The Green Bay Packers Didn't Alter Their Schedule Mid Season

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BrownThunder posted:

I Can't Believe The Green Bay Packers Didn't Alter Their Schedule Mid Season

Homer gonna be a homer

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

^^--explain the Chiefs because I can't at all

This has nothing to do with this particular post, but I notice that you're very angry about a whole lot of NFL things. I worry about your vaping habits.

i think you're the first person i've seen actually respond to one of that guy's posts

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Seahawks vs Packers NFC championship

And the Packers are gonna choke another lead again do to the refs and it'll be glorious with the salt

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

With the way the Packers started and how hurt/bad the D is I will take that all day.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CharlestheHammer posted:

With the way the Packers started and how hurt/bad the D is I will take that all day.

Yeah even one playoff win is a huge success. It's all gravy from here. Nobody expects this to be a Super Bowl year.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Chicago is bad but Philly and Minnesota are mid range and Houston, Detroit, and Seattle were all playoff teams. That's not an easy stretch of 6 games and 7 if you include the Giants.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bip Roberts posted:

Chicago is bad but Philly and Minnesota are mid range and Houston, Detroit, and Seattle were all playoff teams. That's not an easy stretch of 6 games and 7 if you include the Giants.

Houston, Detroit, and Seattle are very bad playoff teams who are only there because someone has to be.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
So once again every single game went against my wishes and my top 3 faves to win the super bowl were eliminated in reverse order. Now I've pretty much ran out of symphatetic teams. Texans? Or cowboys, I guess? Blech. What a forgettable year, again.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

So I picked the Raiders, Lions, and Dolphins to win.

Im so sorry. :(

edit: at least the team that really matters won.

Popy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 9, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BlindSite posted:

I want the patriots to win just to watch the commissioner hand the lombardi off to a guy he suspended for nothing.

I been saying this all season man.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Cowboys have to be favored but I'm guessing lots of their fans are quietly making GBS threads themselves right now, the Packers in this kind of form are a brutal matchup in the Divisional.

Should be an awesome game.

Seattle is not going to beat Atlanta without Earl Thomas.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Seattle had to have a really bad no call to seal the deal against the Falcons earlier this year at home. I'm not sure who will win, but I'd say the Falcons have a decent shot at the Georgia Dome no matter if Thomas plays or not.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

shirts and skins posted:

Cowboys have to be favored but I'm guessing lots of their fans are quietly making GBS threads themselves right now, the Packers in this kind of form are a brutal matchup in the Divisional.

Should be an awesome game.

Seattle is not going to beat Atlanta without Earl Thomas.

Not really; The Giants are a tougher matchup for us. I'd be worried about this game if it were taking place in Green Bay. As-is, the matchup favors us because even in a shootout, we've got a much, much better defense than the Packers do right now, and we've got better special teams. And when it comes to pressure, funnily enough we've had more success than the Giants this season--for all their spending on the defensive line, they haven't actually been great at generating sacks--it's their fantastic secondary that has been the real star, forcing teams to go to their fourth or fifth option. Though they've reliably been able to get pressure up the middle against some lines, they have fewer sacks on the season than the Cowboys and a lower sack rate.

I don't expect the Packers to turn it over 5 times again, but I do expect us to be able to march down the field at will against their defense, which wasn't that great before it got hurt and reduced to starting practice squad guys in the secondary. Rodgers is dangerous, but he'll be much less so if he he's missing Jordy Nelson.

And again, having home field matters, particularly if you don't have to go to Green Bay to play in 4 degree weather.

Bip Roberts posted:

Minnesota, Houston, and Philly had good defenses but terrible offenses. They're not good teams. Houston and Detroit backed into the playoffs about as hard as you can do so, with Detroit getting wrecked the last 3 weeks of the season and embarrassed in the playoffs. I have to cede Seattle, but my point is that Rodgers was a good QB all season; it wasn't until his defense got to play poo poo offenses that the Packers were suddenly able to rattle off a string of wins. It's no coincidence that the Packers lost to the Falcons, Cowboys, Titans, and Washington this year, and those were all in games where their opponents put up 30+ points.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, obviously, Dallas is good. They are infinitely more desirable as a playoff opponent than either Arizona or Carolina last year, so that makes me very pleased.

Hell, the 4 teams left would all get completely annihilated by 15-16 AZ or CAR. This is a great year to be deep in the playoffs because the 1 & 2 seeds are both beatable and flawed.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

vikingstrike posted:

Seattle had to have a really bad no call to seal the deal against the Falcons earlier this year at home. I'm not sure who will win, but I'd say the Falcons have a decent shot at the Georgia Dome no matter if Thomas plays or not.

He's not playing, so perhaps my prediction should not be conditional.

The Cowboys do not appear to have a particularly good defense. I guess we'll find out how good they are, they'll have to beat a white hot Rodgers and then the Falcons to make the Bowl.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oh man, did you guys see this footage of matt moore going through the concussion protocol? Somebody is going to get fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRscxQZs8E

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yeah, obviously, Dallas is good. They are infinitely more desirable as a playoff opponent than either Arizona or Carolina last year, so that makes me very pleased.

Hell, the 4 teams left would all get completely annihilated by 15-16 AZ or CAR. This is a great year to be deep in the playoffs because the 1 & 2 seeds are both beatable and flawed.

Like the NFC field was in 2010 :twisted:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Speaking of the Giants...

In 2004 when the Chargers drafted Eli Manning with the #1 pick, did they already have a deal in place with the Giants to swap for the #4 pick (Philip Rivers) and two draft picks beforehand? Or was Manning drafted first THEN the Chargers contacted the Giants?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Like the NFC field was in 2010 :devil:

Hell yah, great year, would love a repeat.

Also not scared of the Cowboys defense at all lol

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

The Cowboys defense is almost as bad as ours, so this could be a hilarious game.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Aaron loves playing in domes too

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can someone give me the full list of NFL teams that are Actually Good and not Frauds? I feel like it's even shorter than the college version.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can someone give me the full list of NFL teams that are Actually Good and not Frauds? I feel like it's even shorter than the college version.

there are 0 good teams this year

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I don't think everyone should be counting out the Cowboys. Sure Green Bay should be the favorite to move on, but would it really shock anyone to see Dallas pull it off? Just seems like not enough people are giving the 'Boys a fair shot!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I can stomach a Packers loss if it's because Jack Prescott beats us by throwing downfield but otherwise I think we have a good shot.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

nerve posted:

I don't think everyone should be counting out the Cowboys. Sure Green Bay should be the favorite to move on, but would it really shock anyone to see Dallas pull it off? Just seems like not enough people are giving the 'Boys a fair shot!

There isn't a single team left in the NFC playoffs that Green Bay should be favored to beat

I can stomach a Packers loss if it's because Jack Prescott beats us by throwing downfield but otherwise I think we have a good shot.

I feel this accurately reflects the level of football knowledge that has led to most packers over cowboys picks

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Not even the one they beat 38-10 like a month ago?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The Cowboys can win by keeping the ball a long time with long and grindy running drives. Dak can't beat Rodgers in a shootout.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

TheChirurgeon posted:

There isn't a single team left in the NFC playoffs that Green Bay should be favored to beat

I feel this accurately reflects the level of football knowledge that has led to most packers over cowboys picks

I mean, it's not at all wrong lol

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

TheChirurgeon posted:

You keep trying to convince people that the Packers are actually bad. Have you been watching football for the last couple of months?

Also, Jack is probably an auto correct, as Dak is not really a common name.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Wait his name is not actually Jack????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Wait his name is not actually Jack????

Lol, guess I was wrong

• Locked thread