Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Admittedly, it probably doesn't help with the requests for an actual baseline set of mods, that the "mandatory" section of the OP has, shall we say, a bit of feature creep to it. (As noted, at the top of that section, but even so, recategorizing would be a better solution than acknowledging without correcting.)

Something like unofficial patches is a bit more truly mandatory than the mod loving with the jarls' outfits, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Vil posted:

Admittedly, it probably doesn't help with the requests for an actual baseline set of mods, that the "mandatory" section of the OP has, shall we say, a bit of feature creep to it. (As noted, at the top of that section, but even so, recategorizing would be a better solution than acknowledging without correcting.)

Something like unofficial patches is a bit more truly mandatory than the mod loving with the jarls' outfits, for example.

This is a fair point, and probably reflects my STEP fanboyism. :v: So I'll make a note of it.

To be honest though, I really don't think it's a reasonable task to begin with. What do we define as minimal? How? Probably 99% of us here can agree on USLEEP and an alternate start mod. Beyond that, what do we add to the list that nearly no one would call "beyond the mare minimum"? ("Nothing" might be an acceptable answer here.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GunnerJ posted:

This is a fair point, and probably reflects my STEP fanboyism. :v: So I'll make a note of it.

To be honest though, I really don't think it's a reasonable task to begin with. What do we define as minimal? How? Probably 99% of us here can agree on USLEEP and an alternate start mod. Beyond that, what do we add to the list that nearly no one would call "beyond the mare minimum"? ("Nothing" might be an acceptable answer here.)

Minimal is never stop modding.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ulmont posted:

Nothing. Skyrim is fun without mods, and messing with the mods only sends you down an infinite rathole.

KakerMix posted:

Minimal is never stop modding.

See, this range of opinions just proves my point! :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If I looked at this question less from my own preference for what foundation I want to build up my modding setup from, and more from "what's the least work to a decently spruces up Skyrim," this is what I'd suggest: USLEEP, SKSE, SkyUI, ENBoost, Crash fixes and Bug fixes, an alternate start mod, a brawl bugs patch, WAFR and CCF.

I still feel like there should be more here and I'm on the fence about ENBoost just because it requires messing with ENBs, but then again, SkyUI requires SKSE. Is it too much work for a quick minimal mod list to have to deal with things like that? And then this just makes me think of the issue of Oldrim vs. SE.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Does SE fix/expand on Oldrim's hardcoded "only four light sources per cell" limit? Of all the little things that bug the poo poo out of me in Skyrim, lights that "pop" on and candles that don't actually illuminate anything are pretty loving high up there.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Which brings me to the other side of modding. I tend to use mods that eliminate level scaling, which typically make vampires high-level NPCs only, so hit level 10, and now you periodically get level 60+ NPCs invading towns, and by periodically I basically mean every single night.

What mod setup would you recommend for descaling enemies? I've been using MLU and Permazones together. However, I've been unable to do much to effectively descale enemies because they still mostly appear at around PC level for me regardless of encounter zone. Ideally what I want to find is Requiem's fixed levels but with no other changes because I don't want Requiem's perk system or incompatibility issues.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a tutorial on how to manually install stuff like amidianborn in SSE?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Is there a Morrowloot Ultimate patch for using Ordinator on SSE? The Ordinator page says that there should be, but I can't find it on Morrowloot Ultimate's page.

from the OG MLU page: "The only perk MLU affects is Benefactor, which means you may miss out on some bonuses to Restore potions."

there are patches on the original MLU download page, you could probably get that and update it with the new CS

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Corsec posted:

What mod setup would you recommend for descaling enemies? I've been using MLU and Permazones together. However, I've been unable to do much to effectively descale enemies because they still mostly appear at around PC level for me regardless of encounter zone. Ideally what I want to find is Requiem's fixed levels but with no other changes because I don't want Requiem's perk system or incompatibility issues.

I used Skyrim Unleveled. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3807/
and Morrowloot ult Simplified http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2295/

Unleveled does make more changes than just unleveling the world, and in that respect, it should be noted that when I say Unleveled, I mean Unleveled. Enjoy Deathlords in Bleakfalls Barrow. You'll run into all types of Draugr, it's just that any spawn I think now has a chance of any type. Surprisingly, it works. Among the other changes are bigger weapon damage values, high armor values (and caps). I enjoyed the sense of progression on 2 characters so far. 1 sneak archery. 1 'Dawnguard' vampire hunter (which naturally wasn't a vampire hunter for like 40 levels).

MLUS because Sky Unleveled handled everything else, and it's just for the loot changes (daedric artifact buffs, etc).

A few cevats. Kill-cams are not just obnoxious in an unleveled world. They're infuriating. You will often find yourself in an instant death kill-cam without any apparent warning. This is because the way kill-cams work is they trigger the kill animation as soon as an attack that would kill the target in range is initiated. It doesn't have to actually connect. You may notice this when using archery, and getting the kill cam only to have the shot miss. With melee, however there is no escape. For the player this is fine. For npcs, holy poo poo. I just put up with it, but word of warning, some mod to disable kill-cams is STRONGLY recommended for an unleveled play through.

Also: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/463/ try this with the alternate health bar. Again, having a highly level world it will be important to have a better metric for whether you just lost literally 1/2 your health in one hit, or just barely less than 1/2 (ie: you can survive another attack). Said feature will have the healthbar fill/drain from onside to the other, rather than blooming from center.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Kiggles posted:

I used Skyrim Unleveled. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3807/
and Morrowloot ult Simplified http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2295/

Unleveled does make more changes than just unleveling the world, and in that respect, it should be noted that when I say Unleveled, I mean Unleveled. Enjoy Deathlords in Bleakfalls Barrow. You'll run into all types of Draugr, it's just that any spawn I think now has a chance of any type. Surprisingly, it works. Among the other changes are bigger weapon damage values, high armor values (and caps). I enjoyed the sense of progression on 2 characters so far. 1 sneak archery. 1 'Dawnguard' vampire hunter (which naturally wasn't a vampire hunter for like 40 levels).

MLUS because Sky Unleveled handled everything else, and it's just for the loot changes (daedric artifact buffs, etc).

A few cevats. Kill-cams are not just obnoxious in an unleveled world. They're infuriating. You will often find yourself in an instant death kill-cam without any apparent warning. This is because the way kill-cams work is they trigger the kill animation as soon as an attack that would kill the target in range is initiated. It doesn't have to actually connect. You may notice this when using archery, and getting the kill cam only to have the shot miss. With melee, however there is no escape. For the player this is fine. For npcs, holy poo poo. I just put up with it, but word of warning, some mod to disable kill-cams is STRONGLY recommended for an unleveled play through.

Also: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/463/ try this with the alternate health bar. Again, having a highly level world it will be important to have a better metric for whether you just lost literally 1/2 your health in one hit, or just barely less than 1/2 (ie: you can survive another attack). Said feature will have the healthbar fill/drain from onside to the other, rather than blooming from center.

If you use VioLens you can disable the ability for NPCs to killcam you, because wow does it suck to get literally sucked into an NPC's killmove with no escape.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Thanks for this. It seems to closely replicate Requiem's levelled list changes, to produce a closely similar effect. Exactly what I wanted. I'm using Skyrim NPC Overhaul Legendary to delevel the stuff it misses, like soldiers and guards.

I've noticed quite a few easily-fixed errors in the mod's patches, which makes me wary of trusting the author. I'm also cautious about trusting the perk changes since they only apply to the PC and may not be well balanced with other mods like SPERG, so I'll just stick with the NPC-only version. To make my own version of Requiem's combat balancing, I'm using Armor Class to add 25% bonuses to heavy armor, and equalizing PC damage done/taken with NPCs for each difficulty level. Delevelled worlds tend to become too easy at higher levels, so I'm using SPERG's hardcore mode and ASIS spawner to counterbalance this.

For disabling the killcam, I've found this mod to be 100% effective- No Killmoves - No Killcams - No Killbites. Only makes 3 GMST edits.

EDIT: Actually SU is kind of a mess. To be safe and avoid issues, I just deleted everything in it except levelled lists.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 6, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Went ahead and converted another mod, this time from Steam because there is a lot of content that gets ignored on there.

Pit Fighter and it's 'DLC' Travels Add-On converted over to SSE, seems to work just a treat and is actually really cool. Travel around Tamriel fighting in arena tournaments.

Combined them into one .zip
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_c6m_c6szJHNy1FSFFVVHk0Qjg

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 6, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

KakerMix posted:

Went ahead and converted another mod, this time from Steam because there is a lot of content that gets ignored on there.

Pit Fighter and it's 'DLC' Travels Add-On converted over to SSE, seems to work just a treat and is actually really cool. Travel around Tamriel fighting in arena tournaments.

Combined them into one .zip
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_c6m_c6szJHNy1FSFFVVHk0Qjg

I always downloaded this mod but never actually played it. It sounds really cool!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are there any simple .esp's for enhancing draw distance in SSE?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Could anybody give me a rundown on why Wrye Bash will turn off the Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompliation.esp when building a bashed patch? It completely disables the mods in my game, but going by the "deactivate" flag LOOT tagged in there I'm apparently supposed to leave it off. It certainly doesn't look like it incorporates the disabled .esp in the patch, so I'm not sure where the roadblock is.

SCRATCH THAT! I did some digging around in LOOT's metadata on the file and found there's a condition to turn on the deactivate flag when it detects a SkyRe Compatability patch that I don't have installed. No clue how that flag was tripped, since when I ran LOOT to look into this it didn't populate with the "deactivate" tag, which makes some sense...?

I'll turn off the flag and see how it goes.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 8, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Has there been any word on skse for SE? I need my MCM. Configuring mods without it is tedious as gently caress

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rhjamiz posted:

Has there been any word on skse for SE? I need my MCM. Configuring mods without it is tedious as gently caress

http://skse.silverlock.org/

"Currently we estimate a mid-March time frame for a beta release of SKSE64."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3b9pcgzZSk

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3b9pcgzZSk

Ah, cool. I forgot they had like, a proper site.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhjamiz posted:

Does SE fix/expand on Oldrim's hardcoded "only four light sources per cell" limit? Of all the little things that bug the poo poo out of me in Skyrim, lights that "pop" on and candles that don't actually illuminate anything are pretty loving high up there.

Apparently no, there's a thread on Bethesda's forums asking them to implement the fix for it that they used in FO4.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Valatar posted:

Apparently no, there's a thread on Bethesda's forums asking them to implement the fix for it that they used in FO4.

Well gently caress. It is super noticeable in the Hearthfire houses. Fix that poo poo, Bethesda

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Wow. That is a lot better than the "approximately ten minutes after hell freezes over" timeline I was anticipating.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

docbeard posted:

Wow. That is a lot better than the "approximately ten minutes after hell freezes over" timeline I was anticipating.

Well, it is after the inauguration!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

Well, it is after the inauguration!

:golfclap:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is there a recommended mod for replacing the default font? I looked through the OP, but I don't think there was one suggested, or I totally missed it.

Is there a way to view the ID codes for mod items so I can try adding them to my inventory to see if they're working?

I asked about this before, but I wanted to install Weapons of the Third Era, but mod author says he's ceased work on it, and the continuation he links to seems to be missing. Does the existing mod work fine, or does it need any kind of patch or fix? (I know there's a version for SSE, but I'm playing Vanilla Skyrim).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a way to view the ID codes for mod items so I can try adding them to my inventory to see if they're working?
If you know the item's name, you can use "help Item Name" in the console to get the full list of everything with that item's name - this gets awkward if there are levelled versions or whatever but should be fine for functionality.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a recommended mod for replacing the default font? I looked through the OP, but I don't think there was one suggested, or I totally missed it.

The Mod Formerly Known As Fhaarkas Font Mod is pretty bangin

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Max Wilco posted:

I asked about this before, but I wanted to install Weapons of the Third Era, but mod author says he's ceased work on it, and the continuation he links to seems to be missing. Does the existing mod work fine, or does it need any kind of patch or fix? (I know there's a version for SSE, but I'm playing Vanilla Skyrim).

Sovngarde by Mist. I use this typeface and I think it fits in exceptionally well. :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I converted a couple more mods. One is kind of janky, the other one is weird and kinda janky. Both of these links are to the Oldrim mods, link to the SSE versions is at the bottom.

Skyrim Community College so I have a place to train that doesn't always involve deadra or being locked behind quests that I might not want to deal with or groups I might not want to join. It's janky because the building itself has every skill book in it and a bunch of items that aren't marked as owned, essentially making this a cheat mod if you can't stop yourself from grabbing all the stuff. I use it for the trainers.

Script Free Ship Sailing which is a pilotable boat/canoe that works reasonably well. It does this by reskinning a horse as the boat and includes all the weirdness that comes with that. Also the mod totally has scripts so I don't know what that's about.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B_c6m_c6szJHbnBEV2twd1FOdWc

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

This might be a good thing for me to add. But, in addition to other suggestions: Main Font Replacement provides a few options.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Max Wilco posted:

The updated URL scheme for that would be this but it doesn't seem to exist. I found there had been a reupload but it also doesn't exist anymore. I guess there was some sort of drama, the guy is banned. Try modpiracy, or backtranslate one of the translations, since there are a few.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Is there a good list of recommended Skyrim Special Edition mods out there? I got most of the ones listed in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UbMJqfi44 but they are mostly visual.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The OP is pretty good.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Is there a good list of recommended Skyrim Special Edition mods out there? I got most of the ones listed in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UbMJqfi44 but they are mostly visual.

Boldface mine.

Ynglaur posted:

The OP is pretty good.

The OP is also a bunch of stuff for Oldrim, except with a big flashy note at the top noting that Oldrim mods don't necessarily work for SE unless they've been specifically converted as such. It's a fantastic resource for Oldrim, but for SE the user is left to nose around on their own both for links and to find out if the mod even exists for/works with SE.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ynglaur posted:

The OP is pretty good.

Is this an ironic post?

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Here is the hot official list of why mods for Skyrim/Oldrim won't work for SSE/The New poo poo and if they can be made to work:

Animations
Animations have to be converted full-stop. This includes incidental vanilla animation files packed into some mods (like ones that turn your horse into a boat) and ones like that you need FNIS for. This is the cool way to convert them atm.

Meshes:
Some meshes need to be converted or they will 'explode' out. They won't crash the game as far as I can tell, just choke performance and look really ugly. .nif files can be run through this tool taking care to note what kind of meshes you are converting. Convert everything (including particle meshes wow) then separately convert face meshes using the options within the program.

Textures
Textures that are out of spec for SSE will crash your game every time. It seems Oldrim was much more tolerant of textures that weren't exactly the right size or right format. SSE doesn't do .tga files either, only .dds. Unfortunately I don't know of any batch-file conversion things for textures but I do know doing it by hand in Photoshop with NVIDIA's .dds plugin works great. For instance I was messing with this Dwemer Aquarium home for Oldrim and it had one texture that was 512x511 pixels and this would crash SSE every time you went into a room that used the texture. Saving it as 512x512 (and thus making it a multiple of 4) made it the correct usable size for SSE and it no longer crashed.

Scripts
Scripts had no change between Oldrim and SSE and can be used as-is with no conversion needed or even possible.

SKSE Requirements
If a mod requires SKSE you might go 'o no not for SSE' but that might not be entirely true. Some mods that list SKSE as a requirement only use the MCM portion of SKSE meaning they function just fine in SSE (as scripts are a-ok across Oldrim/SSE) but there are no options available to you since MCM doesn't work. This is how we got mods like Skyrim Unbound on SSE, the mod works it's just there is no MCM system to plug into so you instead cludgily use a power or spell to bring up an in-game option set and tweak the mod from within there. Even if you don't a lot of mods will simply work just fine, you just won't have that MCM option which might mean the mod is totally unusable or just not tweakable. Other mods of course require the function of SKSE to actually be used in the game at all, things like NPCs smithing weapons for you or mods that have NPCs able to enchant weapons for you. Mods that do odd things like convert weapons from one mesh to another.

Oldrim .bsa files
Absolutely will not work. If you download an Oldrim mod and it has a .bsa file included you are going to have to extract those files out into loose form at the minimum, then conversion like said above and if you are feeling frisky re-archiving them into an SSE .bsa.

FINALLY the biggest reason of all that you don't see mass conversion of mods from Oldrim to SSE is because the Nexus community and blow-hards like Art have made it so if a mod author doesn't give explicit blanket permissions and then disappears from the community you can not update, convert, change or add to a mod as far as the Nexus is concerned. This is the biggest content killer there is and the Nexus has a very negative effect on the community because of it. Plenty of people have converted mods that work just fine but there isn't any good place to put them because the community is such that it loving sucks huge rear end. Other communities have things to where if the author is missing for x length of time you can convert them over and assume the mod is abandoned and wouldn't you know it that's a very good thing.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 9, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Plus, the OP is actually bad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
All signs point towards the guy who did aMidianborn being retired, so hopefully somebody says gently caress it and hosts an updated version off-Nexus.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Cabal is busy with real life things, last I heard, but they were working with somebody on AMB. Not sure if it was Skyrim updates or SSE conversions, I'd have to check.

also I doubt many, if any, AMB textures are out of spec, so they should just be drop-in and go.

KakerMix posted:

FINALLY the biggest reason of all

It's not even requiring blanket permissions. There's a very simple Y/N checkbox when uploading a file which says "allow people to port this to other games y/n?" -- if anything, SSE is kind of unprecedented. I imagine a lot of people who checked the no box were assuming it was something like "can I port this skyrim mod to dark souls" instead of "can I port this Skyrim mod to Skyrim 2: HD Boogaloo" and :shrug:

what I wonder is if you could get away with something like just uploading an SSE ESP or maybe just the changed meshes -- the absolute minimum required and no other files and saying "this mod requires you to install [whatever the Oldrim source mod is]" or whether that too would get axed by Nexus. it'd probably be a good starting position?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 9, 2017

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
This references modding mudcrabs, so I think its OK to put it in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwP0IiEccYo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Deified Data posted:

All signs point towards the guy who did aMidianborn being retired, so hopefully somebody says gently caress it and hosts an updated version off-Nexus.

Most of the stuff works fine in SE if you just install it. Someone made a post in the Nexus page that tells you which options to avoid when installing.