Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Smart car is dumb, but an in-dash screen that mirrors my smartphone is something I could absolutely get behind.

Hoping eventually we can do some Tony Stark type poo poo where I gesture on my phone and the image quickly pops up on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I just use Siri in my 2011 Sentra.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stop distracting yourselves when you're driving

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

xzzy posted:

Smart car is dumb, but an in-dash screen that mirrors my smartphone is something I could absolutely get behind.

Hoping eventually we can do some Tony Stark type poo poo where I gesture on my phone and the image quickly pops up on the screen.

I think that exists. Some cars have like apple car software or some poo poo where it mirrors your iPhone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CarPlay isn't quite Tony Stark, but it is cool.

Conceptually it's a second springboard with car-specific apps available. The big downsides to it are you have to plug your phone in and the apps that can use it are somewhat limited.

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Subaru doesn't update firmware ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only thing I could ever want or care to see on my car is Waze. Waze is life.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

I just use a dash mount

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only thing I could ever want or care to see on my car is Waze. Waze is life.

I agree, except for when it decides driving 14 miles extra is worth saving 45 seconds on my drive time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weedle posted:

I just use a dash mount

Congratulations, so does everyone else.

But having it in-dash would be cool.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Congratulations, so does everyone else.

But having it in-dash would be cool.

I guess if you like paying more money for no added functionality and an additional potential point of failure

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cars have been "smart" for a while now, or at least, ultimately controlled by computers. I tune my ricer fast & furious car with software via a dongle that plugs into the OBDII port, and even though it's a 2007, drat near everything mechanical is controlled by the ECU. Volume of air in the intake is sent to the ECU to determine how much fuel to deliver to the injectors, which are also computer-controlled, a sensor in the catalytic converter determines if emissions are in check and will retard the injectors if they aren't, the gas pedal is totally digital, as is the steering, etc. All of the feedback (e.g. hitting a pothole, pedal resistance when depressed) is fake. The tachometer isn't even mechanically connected to the engine; the needle moves based on realtime estimates. Newer cars don't even have a physical gauge cluster anymore, because they just don't need it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I agree, except for when it decides driving 14 miles extra is worth saving 45 seconds on my drive time.

And those 14 extra miles will include 2 extra left hand turns across 3 lanes of traffic and none of them will be a stoplights.

Waze needs a 'no unnecessary lefts' option.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

"Shortest" instead of "Fastest" under Navigation in Waze's settings will take care of most of the ultimately dumb reroutes that Waze will do.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

"Shortest" instead of "Fastest" under Navigation in Waze's settings will take care of most of the ultimately dumb reroutes that Waze will do.

Then it'll use a route that adds 14 minutes to save 0.2 miles. I can't win!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

CarPlay isn't quite Tony Stark, but it is cool.

Conceptually it's a second springboard with car-specific apps available. The big downsides to it are you have to plug your phone in and the apps that can use it are somewhat limited.
Wireless CarPlay is a thing too :eng101:

Meanwhile I'm still relatively slumming it with wired iPod integration and a Tune2Air for Bluetooth (which also passes over metadata and controls and stuff like a direct connection, I think there's cheaper knockoffs nowadays). And I usually plug my phone into power anyways cause the battery is kinda jacked up.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Stop distracting yourselves when you're driving

:agreed:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Just chiming in to say that I love Waze a lot and everybody should try it. It changes driving.

Not to mention it has network effects which benefit from more people using Waze.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be useful it also requires people to press buttons on their phone while driving so that's kind of stupid, I don't care how streamlined their interface claims to be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Just chiming in to say that I love Waze a lot and everybody should try it. It changes driving.

Not to mention it has network effects which benefit from more people using Waze.

Waze is great and all and I use it a lot but holy gently caress does it ask you to do some stupid poo poo to save 2 min off your drive time.

"cross Wilshire Blvd at 5pm at a place with no traffic light"

Waze is great but you really have to know the area you are in sometimes and make judgement calls as to if its worth the time you save or not. Most days I'd rather spend the 10 extra min on the freeway then try and save it by making 800 turns on city streets.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I took my Chevy to the dealer last week because it's not working well with my iphone suddenly. Come to find out it's a known issue that can crop up and there was an update. They spent 4 hours trying to upgrade the software and ultimately could not. Then they asked me to pay them one hundred dollars. gently caress this poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I always thought it was dumb that iPhones didn't mimic car play on the screen. I use a CD player mount and it would be awesome if I could get that right on my phone in my wife's 2011 car with a regular old radio.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got that AVH 4000NEX unit and while a bit sluggish, buggy sometimes, and not the best screen, it works pretty great

I'm not sure why you'd want wireless carplay :shrug: I guess for short trips?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well, yeah. Any trip of less than an hour or two, especially if you're not using nav, doesn't really require external power so why pull your phone out if you don't have to?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cause I like to keep it charged i guess

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Michael Scott posted:

Every time I use Waze it kills my battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't know whether you've used Waze recently but it absolutely sips battery now.
It used to be way more of a hog than Apple Maps / Google Maps, now it's probably less than either.

Apple Maps being able to do nav with the screen locked is probably better still for battery life, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have a 2015 Honda Fit and the Bluetooth metadata downloading is weird (for example: I use Spotify, but the artist/album/song title will just show up as "No Title" unless I open up Music.app first, play that, pause it, THEN play Spotify and then Spotify's metadata will show up on the dash) and it doesn't do navigation unless you buy a $60 app which is apparently dogshit, so I got a CarPlay unit and all the stuff to install it thinking that would take care of my issues.

I took it to get it installed and the guys were like "You know CarPlay only really works with Siri, right? And it doesn't work with Waze." I'm an Uber driver, so the main reason I got the CarPlay unit was to have my iPhone mirrored on the dash so I wouldn't have to look down at my phone on trips. But apparently CarPlay can't actually do that? So it's totally worthless to me and the guys told me I should just return the unit if I can, which I did.

Then I sucked it up and went and bought a dash mount for my phone, so now that's what I'm rocking :shobon:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

To be useful it also requires people to press buttons on their phone while driving so that's kind of stupid, I don't care how streamlined their interface claims to be.

User input is only supplementary to it's traffic model and only really needs to happen to identify flash jams / accident sites etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No way to pause music--spotify--when GPS voice queues? That's an option before, right? Or only for audio books?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

No way to pause music--spotify--when GPS voice queues? That's an option before, right? Or only for audio books?

That poo poo is baked into the OS dog bone

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Huh? It just quiets the music a bit for me

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Huh? It just quiets the music a bit for me

the routing app should have a setting to pause or quiet the music, waze does.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Looks like it's just for podcasts/audiobooks. Mine is already on

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Looks like it's just for podcasts/audiobooks. Mine is already on

oh drat my bad, that sucks rear end.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Haven't been able to google this. Can you choose from the images taken as a live photo and extract just that one as a still image? "Extract as still image" seems to just take the last image of the set.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ron Jeremy posted:

Haven't been able to google this. Can you choose from the images taken as a live photo and extract just that one as a still image? "Extract as still image" seems to just take the last image of the set.

If you plug it into a computer you will be able to get the "movie" file that is the Live Photo, then scrub to the frame you want and extract it.
Presumably there's an app for that but I don't know of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep there's an app called Lively

Lively - Export Live Photo to GIF and Movie by Tiny Whale Pte. Ltd.
https://appsto.re/ie/LjvK-.i

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep there's an app called Lively

Lively - Export Live Photo to GIF and Movie by Tiny Whale Pte. Ltd.
https://appsto.re/ie/LjvK-.i

Works great thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, I've just pushed the button on a 7 - anything I should do to make switching over from Android simpler?