Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Is there an easier way to see a country's military power (manpower, army, navy, etc) than using the ledger? I assumed that there would be something I could access when looking at the info for the country (the pane you get when you click on them), but if there is I'm not seeing it. Considering how important that info is, it seems like the ledger is a bit of a clunky way to access it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

jpparker55 posted:

I wanted to have a go at the Sun god achievement so started a game as Cusco. For some reasons their gold mine and the other 3 I've taken all seem to produce way less money than usual? Like a 9 dev gold mine province is producing 0.60 production income. What's the deal with that? Still seem to get the full inflation penalty which makes them pretty poor.

Primitives don't "get" gold. Once you reform it'll be worth the full amount.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Silvergun1000 posted:

Is there an easier way to see a country's military power (manpower, army, navy, etc) than using the ledger? I assumed that there would be something I could access when looking at the info for the country (the pane you get when you click on them), but if there is I'm not seeing it. Considering how important that info is, it seems like the ledger is a bit of a clunky way to access it.
I don't think so. Using the ledger is cheating anyways.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the amount of ledger information for a given country should scale both by range and by spy network size

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PittTheElder posted:

Don't build forts to stop tiny stacks like that, or at least be aware that it's not the right move. For the cost of maintaining that fort you could just have 5 infantry running around capping it all back. Annoying as gently caress, but such is the current meta.

I ain't building forts but I'm not gonna tear down a useful one if it's at my borders. Besides, best practices and all now that Devastation is gonna be a mechanic and you don't want assholes destroying the autonomy of your heartlands.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Are they still going to change fort ZOC mechanics by having each area be its own ZOC, incentivizing you to build one fort in each area on the best terrain?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Are they still going to change fort ZOC mechanics by having each area be its own ZOC, incentivizing you to build one fort in each area on the best terrain?

No, they reverted that after nobody liked it in the 1.19 beta.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&pagenumber=15#lastpost

Mapgoons are starting our saturday EU4 games again, from 1.14 8.00 PM GMT. Its an Asia only game, using the China Divided mod. Mod, signup and rules are in the link or the links OP.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh poo poo, I misread the Golden Horn achievement...I have to conquer up through Ethiopia to Egypt....
I was focused south to get All The Gold. Ethiopia has been way more powerful and totally insane since the beginning, now I have to grind through them, sigh.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I am weak as gently caress and my Colonial Nation Braaziilaan is next to a Spanish colony, should I set it free once I have colonialism? I dont see a point in keeping it in terms of tarriffs and I will never get any trade from Brazil to Somlia, so I figure I should let it go so having it does not draw me into a war with Spain or Portugal.

In other news, this made me laugh because it was totally unexpected:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

oddium posted:

the amount of ledger information for a given country should scale both by range and by spy network size

Throughout history there has always been a neutral third party that collects detailed information about any nation or tribe, and makes such information readily available for everyone else.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I believe I'm going to try Ming next, and get Kow-Tow and whatever else I can grab. What do I need to know about Ming? I've always been intimidated by them because of their Mandate of Heaven trigger. How do I handle that, and what should I know about the three factions? What is a good idea group to start with? Maybe Humanist or Religious?

Also, is it worth getting -50 prestige in the beginning to boot your lovely heir out in hopes of getting a better one? Its a no lose scenario if so, because you can restart the game if your new heir sucks.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It honestly doesn't really matter what you do as Ming for the first two hundred years. Everyone around you is nothing compared to your might and all you really have to do is make sure you save enough monarch points to force institutions in your country. This is actually pretty easy because you get 50% autonomy as the minimum, but your provinces have stupid high development so institution spread is lightning fast. Once you get Renaissance, Colonialism, Printing Press, and Global Trade you can reform to remove all the downsides to Ming. If you really want something to do I recommend conquering the Mongolian jerks to your North and occasionally intervening in SE Asia politics through vassalizing losers in their wars and then retaking cores. Just make sure you don't accidentally spread Vietnam's poison +50% cores.

Take ideas that increase your available mercs and don't waste regulars on infantry. You get a tiny manpower pool compared to your force limit and ridiculous amounts of money. Administrative is actually a really good idea group for Ming. If you want to make even more cash lock down the land node that Beijing flows into because there's some weird thing where the AI gets caravan power in Beijing if they have a merchant there and you will lose absolute poo poo loads of money if you don't wipe out the Mongolians that are stealing from you. Conquering Japan is fairly easy, just get naval superiority and take Kyushu/Shokoku in the first war then go from there onto Honshu in the next.

Mandate of Heaven is easy, just don't go positive national unrest and don't have low legitimacy.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Also remember that because your provinces all have a 50% autonomy cap, until you reform there's no need to spend admin on full cores.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ithle01 posted:

It honestly doesn't really matter what you do as Ming for the first two hundred years. Everyone around you is nothing compared to your might and all you really have to do is make sure you save enough monarch points to force institutions in your country.

What do you mean by this? Institutions are still a new thing to me.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Node posted:

What do you mean by this? Institutions are still a new thing to me.

Every time you develop a province, you get some progress towards that province adopting an institution. So every 50 years when the new institution unlocks, you dump a bunch of your monarch points to get one province to adopt it so it can spread through your country. That way 1) you don't have to wait for Europeans to show up, and 2) you can dump your monarch points into something that benefits you instead of burning them because of the institution penalty. (Generally going up to about 39 dev is enough to make them adopt, in my experience.)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Allyn posted:

Every time you develop a province, you get some progress towards that province adopting an institution. So every 50 years when the new institution unlocks, you dump a bunch of your monarch points to get one province to adopt it so it can spread through your country. That way 1) you don't have to wait for Europeans to show up, and 2) you can dump your monarch points into something that benefits you instead of burning them because of the institution penalty. (Generally going up to about 39 dev is enough to make them adopt, in my experience.)

So the earliest you could get is Colonialism if you beeline Quest for the New World?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Node posted:

So the earliest you could get is Colonialism if you beeline Quest for the New World?

No, you literally just click one of the three buttons that improve a province with monarch points, and that increases the progress towards the next currently-unlocked institution in that province. The normal way the institution spreads or spawns isn't relevant, as long as it's actually appeared somewhere in the world you can use development to make it appear in your lands.

From there, all the institutions have one of their factors being "spreads if present in a neighboring province", so it also spreads to the rest of your provinces pretty quickly.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Based on the wording, Colonialism will not spread to you if you have Australia as a colony, right? Only in the Americas?

I believe so, yes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

The earliest you can get Colonialism is 1500 if you

A) Have a port province in the same area as your capital
B) Have Quest for the New World
C) Discovered the New World (aka North or South America, basically)

At that point it's a random roll each month determining whether or not it spawns, and then it gets randomly given to one of the eligible tags. Assuming you didn't get it (which you probably won't, a lot of countries wind up eligible), that's the time to start pumping dev into a province in order to get it to spawn (assuming it didn't spawn like 1 nation over)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

The earliest you can get Colonialism is 1500 if you

A) Have a port province in the same area as your capital
B) Have Quest for the New World
C) Discovered the New World (aka North or South America, basically)

At that point it's a random roll each month determining whether or not it spawns, and then it gets randomly given to one of the eligible tags. Assuming you didn't get it (which you probably won't, a lot of countries wind up eligible), that's the time to start pumping dev into a province in order to get it to spawn (assuming it didn't spawn like 1 nation over)
You can also get Colonialism to spread to you if you have a Colonial Nation in the New World. I got Colonialism as fuckin' Somalia because I formed Braaziilaan. I got it fast and for cheap, too, because I had so much coastline (I think a good 90% of my country is coastline).

Still deciding if I should ditch the colonial nation now that I have coloniasm, since it does me no good and may get me attacked by mega Spain...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i wish things like this happened more often

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Breton colonial nations are decently common. If any one of the early colonizers (England, Spain, Portugal, France) makes a bad start they are in a good position to pick up the slack.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

skasion posted:

Breton colonial nations are decently common. If any one of the early colonizers (England, Spain, Portugal, France) makes a bad start they are in a good position to pick up the slack.

In my current Papal States game, Castile rejected the Iberian Wedding and promptly got curbstomped by an Aragon-England alliance that ensured neither Portugal nor Castile nor England (too focused on continental conquest) got into the game. Which left France, Britanny, and Scotland as the main colonizers. I almost wish I'd taken Exploration despite the colonization range problems, as I'd have had a way easier time than I expected.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quorum posted:

In my current Papal States game, Castile rejected the Iberian Wedding and promptly got curbstomped by an Aragon-England alliance that ensured neither Portugal nor Castile nor England (too focused on continental conquest) got into the game. Which left France, Britanny, and Scotland as the main colonizers. I almost wish I'd taken Exploration despite the colonization range problems, as I'd have had a way easier time than I expected.

A thing that I've done in the past is just no-CB declare on Morocco and take some 1/1/1 shithole from their southern edge. That should give you all of the colonial range that you need to reach South America, and then you're off to the races.

Only caveat is that the province you take has to be within your colonial range, but that should be fine; Morocco isn't that far away from Italy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What benefits does an Italian power get out of colonizing America?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Jay Rust posted:

Genoa can pull trade out of Sevilla, so anything in or South of the Caribbean can send trade to anywhere in the Genoa node.

e: You can also get trade into Genoa from Chesapeke->St. Lawrence->Bordeux->Champagne->Genoa

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 9, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

If you can collect from Genoa then you can direct the new world to Sevilla and get the leftovers in Genoa. If you're collecting from Venice then you can go through SE Asia and send from the gulf of Aden through Alexandria. Colonizing is a giant cash cow in general.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Jay Rust posted:

Spreading the Italian Race across the Amerigos, duh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonial nations also give you bonus force limit (land and naval), global trade power, and merchants. All good things no matter where you are

Also, tariffs are insanely good for any colonizer now that you can decrease liberty desire with development

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

oddium posted:

Adding to this, does spy networking already speed up when done in large or destabilized countries? Cause it should!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

THE BAR posted:

Adding to this, does spy networking already speed up when done in large or destabilized countries? Cause it should!

It doesn't get sped up, but your chance of discovery goes way down.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What am I missing? I just force vassalized Dai Viet as Ming, and Improve Relations is not doing anything. They're disloyal. Did Paradox change something, like I can't improve them until they're loyal?

edit: Oh. My leader is a naive enthusiast, giving me -20% improve relations.

Node fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 9, 2017

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Node posted:

What am I missing? I just force vassalized Dai Viet as Ming, and Improve Relations is not doing anything. They're disloyal. Did Paradox change something, like I can't improve them until they're loyal?

Encountered basically the same thing tonight. Wait a little while until their opinion improves to better than -200 and then try.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Do missions like http://www.eu4wiki.com/Ottoman_missions#Conquer_Levant succeed if a vassal holds some of the provinces?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jabor posted:

It doesn't get sped up, but your chance of discovery goes way down.

Ah, thanks. Is that under either condition?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Node posted:

edit: Oh. My leader is a naive enthusiast, giving me -20% improve relations.

Sometimes it bugs out. Try recalling your diplomat and let a month pass before setting him to improve relations again.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

Do missions like http://www.eu4wiki.com/Ottoman_missions#Conquer_Levant succeed if a vassal holds some of the provinces?

Nope. You can take them for yourself, then release/give them to a vassal, though.

That said, don't be afraid to cancel that kind of mission. They'll usually come back by the time the truce ends, and the main reason to take them in the first place is that they give you free claims.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

the kingdom of god is within man and eventually iberia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
Just started my first ironman game, playing as Ming. I'm glad prestige isn't too hard to acquire because there seems to be an endless supply of 1/0/0 heirs

• Locked thread