Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Besesoth posted:

Some people learn "commas are a pause in the sentence" and take that to mean that any time you might pause in speech - say, for effect - you put a comma there. (pyf unnerving grammar habit)

Which is totally acceptable when you're writing text that is supposed to mimic speech or dialect. It has no place in an article because that's one of the few place English has hard and fast rules you should at least try and follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Besesoth posted:

Some people learn "commas are a pause in the sentence" and take that to mean that any time you might pause in speech - say, for effect - you put a comma there. (pyf unnerving grammar habit)

dash is not emdash.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Besesoth posted:

I'm, gay

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flosofl posted:

dash is not emdash.

Hyphen‐minus is not em dash.

FTFY

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Hyphen‐minus is not em dash.

FTFY
You're right. Hyphen is smaller than "en dash" which is smaller than "em dash"

Now I'm wondering if SA will render an em dash with double hyphen--nope—but it will if you cut and paste.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
correction of egregiously bad use of commas
Removed some commas incorrectly placed
rm extraneous commas
copyedit, especially for wild comma use
Removed extra commas from "Tammy and the Bachelor" item
Removed several extra commas in second full paragraph
Corrected excessive comma use
Further readability edits, also incorporating inline citations and remove extraneous commas
Excess commas removed
Removed the Incorrect and pretentious commas of the poorly educated author.
Removed excessive use of commas to improve readability

If, you're bored, it's Chitt66 that's making GBS threads, up Wikipedia, with commas

Smith stated he had heard stories from his grandfather, older pioneers, and those who had interviewed two of the Harpe wives. One of his stories was, that the Harpe brothers were actually cousins, William and Joshua Harper, who would, sometime later take the alias Harpe, [[immigration|emigrated]], in 1759 or 1760, at a young age, from Scotland. Their fathers were brothers, John and William Harper, who settled in Orange County, North Carolina, between 1761 and 1763. The Harper patriarchs were loyal to the British Crown and were known as [[Cavalier|Royalists]], [[Loyalist (American Revolution)|Kings Men]], Loyalists, and Tories and may also, have been [[War of the Regulation|regulators]] involved in the North Carolina [[War of the Regulation|Regulator War]]. The anti-British Crown neighbors, of the Harpers, were known as [[Patriot (American Revolution)|Whigs]], Rebels, and Patriots. Around April or May, 1775, the young Harper cousins left North Carolina and went to Virginia to find [[wikt:overseer|overseer]] jobs on a [[plantation economy|slave plantation]].

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, this outta kill a bunch of airport time tomorrow. Cool link, thanks!

Well the bolded in retrospect was very foreboding.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of the Harpe brothers smashed his baby against a tree because it was crying. Don't know which one.

Big Harpe.

Here's an excellent article on the murderous family: (scroll down)

https://www.kyhumanities.org/images/files/magazines/2005AprilKentuckyHumanities.pdf

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Pretty much this. Both Pits and Boxers are often bought by angry assholes who want "tough" looking dogs, but the American Kennel Club rates (or at least used to, IDK if they change these things) the Boxer/Pitbull cross as one of the best family dogs you can get. My neighbors used to have one and not only was that dog super huge and friendly, it also let their 4 year old climb all over it, pull it's ears and sleep on top of it.

They do change those things. Currently they have a breed finder, where they try to match your lifestyle to the right breed of dog.

As a rule Boxers are dolls who love kids.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

flosofl posted:

dash is not emdash.

Print publishing conventions are not grammar rules. :can:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

One enduring mystery that hasn’t come up on this thread (recently) is that of Everett Ruess.

He was a precocious young artist and writer who had had some success with his prints. He came from a Christian family which encouraged his talents. He travelled widely, often alone in wilderness regions, committing his impressions to journals and poems. He travelled widely throughout the US South and Southwest accompanied only by a donkey and occasionally a local guide.

Even by the age of 20, he had achieved a minor reputation as a skilled artist and had exhibited and sold art. The art was usually views of the places he visited.

In 1934 he set out on a trek in Escalante canyon, Utah, a very remote region. It was the site of ancient Indian villages, which Ruess knew about and wanted to visit. His burro was later found, as were some of his possessions, but Ruess was never seen again. There are various theories about what happened to him, including falls, drowning, murder by Navajo, cowboys, rustlers or Mormons.

There is the possibility of suicide. Ruess was apparently unhappy and depressed. A lot of attention has been paid to passages in previous journals that seem to indicate repressed homosexual desire. One of the few traces of him in the canyon was carved graffiti “nemo” (meaning “no one”). Of course, if anyone depressed ever disappears then suicide is automatically goes to the top of the list of causes, even if the death might have been accidental or foulplay.

In 2009 bones were tested for DNA but they proved a negative match for Ruess.

Many of letters, journals and art work have been published. There have been many articles and books about him. (BTW, any recommendations about good ones?)

Anyone have ideas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everett_Ruess

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Probably fell or got lost and didn't make it back to his donkey, which decided to amble back towards civilization when he didn't turn up to feed it.

pienipple has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Jan 8, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Depends on where exactly he was i guess but thats easily one of the deadliest places in the US. Wild tempature swings, flash floods, and without water im not sure you would last much more than a day. Even if you did you would have to be rescued. In the 30's surviving this region would have been pretty challenging without leaning on the locals, and they arent always very nice. When i went there i heard story after story of local blood feuds between ranchers in the area that happened around this time. I dont know how true it all is but there were numerous mineral pools that were geysers until a jealous neighbor dropped a stack of dynamite down the hole.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20170108_Arrest_expected_tonight_in_Abington_teen_s_dismemberment.html?mobi=true

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flosofl posted:

You're right. Hyphen is smaller than "en dash" which is smaller than "em dash"

Now I'm wondering if SA will render an em dash with double hyphen--nope—but it will if you cut and paste.

look at this guy copy/pasting his special characters like a scrub who doesn't know about html entities. i'm unnerved.

duTrieux. has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Jan 9, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

That story is too hosed up to even read the whole way through. My god they go into some gruesome and disturbing details that have no right to be reported on some random news site. That's an absolutely distasteful article.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

That story is too hosed up to even read the whole way through. My god they go into some gruesome and disturbing details that have no right to be reported on some random news site. That's an absolutely distasteful article.

I didn't have a problem with it, but it is like reading the murderers statement how detailed they go into it.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Maybe I've just become desensitized to this kind of stuff, because that seemed like a pretty simple and straightforward description of a horrific crime. I've definitely read much more graphic descriptions of similar things in newspaper and magazine articles.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

the future is WOW posted:

Maybe I've just become desensitized to this kind of stuff, because that seemed like a pretty simple and straightforward description of a horrific crime. I've definitely read much more graphic descriptions of similar things in newspaper and magazine articles.

Meh, her death could have been more horrible. 5/10.

Yeah, this thing you just said is pretty crazy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Packing a body in kitty litter is pretty clever. Would sop up the dead body....juices and keep the stink down. I don't think I've ever read about any other killers doing that. It would leave a ton of messy kitty litter full of evidence though.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's always bothered me how detailed the Wikipedia page for the Port Arthur massacre is. It's not gory, just much more specific than seems necessary. Looking at several other pages for Australia spree shooting/massacres a few others are similar, moment-by-moment timelines. Part of it is because PA is one I have a connection to, and it feels a little disrespectful (though I went and watched the police video when I was younger). But is it really encyclopedia-worthy that (different page, "Hoddle Street massacre")

quote:

At about 4.50pm Knight went to see an old girlfriend in Clifton Hill in order to give her a magazine. He only stayed at her flat for about five minutes then he continued to drive aimlessly around the area. Minutes later the gearbox of his car – his only asset – jammed and stuck in second gear. He limped the car home, where he changed clothes and drank another can of beer before walking angrily around to the nearby Royal Hotel, his local pub, at around 5.30pm. None of Knight's friends were at the Royal Hotel so he drank alone in the public bar from around 5.32pm to about 8.55pm. At around 8.50pm Knight began to feel the effects of the beer he'd been drinking and he had a "vision" of soldiers being ambushed. He felt as if it was a "call to arms" and at about 8.55pm he rushed from the hotel and ran back to his mother's house.

Arriving back at his mother's house minutes later, he spoke briefly to his sister when she met him in the hallway outside the front room. He then waited until his sister returned to the rear of the house to watch a movie on TV with their mother, before he ventured upstairs to his mother's bedroom... (many more paragraphs)
before he started his "rampage"?

Instead of

quote:

Bryant finished his meal, walked into the café and returned his tray, assisted by some people who opened the door for him. He put his bag down on a table and pulled a Colt AR-15 SP1 Carbine with a Colt scope and one 30-round magazine attached out of the bag. He left the bag which contained, among other things, the knife with which he had stabbed Martin, on the table. It is believed the magazine was partially emptied from the shootings at Seascape.
The café was very small, with the tables very close together. It was busy that day as people waited for the next ferry. The events happened extremely quickly...

...Bryant moved just a few metres and began shooting at the table where Graham Colyer, Carolyn Loughton and her daughter Sarah were seated. Colyer was injured in the jaw, nearly choking to death on his own blood. Sarah Loughton ran towards her mother, who had been moving between tables. Carolyn Loughton threw herself on top of her daughter. Bryant shot Carolyn Loughton in the back; her eardrum was ruptured by the muzzle blast from the gun going off beside her ear. She survived her injuries, but learned after she came out of surgery that, despite her efforts, Sarah had been fatally shot in the head... (800 more words in this section, and 4000 more words describing the rest of the day of the massacre)
wouldn't it be sufficient to just say "Bryant killed X people and wounded Y others in the café" and just link to the court transcript and books you're practically transcribing?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Packing a body in kitty litter is pretty clever. Would sop up the dead body....juices and keep the stink down. I don't think I've ever read about any other killers doing that. It would leave a ton of messy kitty litter full of evidence though.

Somewhere in some government agency there is a guy who reads poo poo on the internet and maybe adds them to a watch list. You just got added to like twelve different lists my man.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

funmanguy posted:

Somewhere in some government agency there is a guy who reads poo poo on the internet and maybe adds them to a watch list. You just got added to like twelve different lists my man.

It's true, I"m in charge of lists 101 and 253.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
What's going on in here? People are unnerved and grossed out by articles in a thread dedicated to unnerving and terrible things? Why, I never!

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

uvar posted:

It's always bothered me how detailed the Wikipedia page for the Port Arthur massacre is. It's not gory, just much more specific than seems necessary. Looking at several other pages for Australia spree shooting/massacres a few others are similar, moment-by-moment timelines. Part of it is because PA is one I have a connection to, and it feels a little disrespectful (though I went and watched the police video when I was younger). But is it really encyclopedia-worthy that (different page, "Hoddle Street massacre")

Instead of

wouldn't it be sufficient to just say "Bryant killed X people and wounded Y others in the café" and just link to the court transcript and books you're practically transcribing?

Something that bothers me more are the Port Arthur conspiracies.

quote:

The killer scored twenty head shots, from the right hip, in 90 seconds! There are only about 20 shooters that good (better than Olympians) in the Western World. They are the SPOOKS who work for various governments.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
From Wikipedia on the Harpe brothers:

quote:

They were also accused of murdering a man named Johnson, whose body was found in a river, covered in urine and ripped open, with the chest cavity filled and weighted down with stones.

How is it possible to be covered in urine while underwater? This makes no sense.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

pookel posted:

How is it possible to be covered in urine while underwater? This makes no sense.

I'd like to think he was crystallized in it, like a prehistoric insect in amber.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

uvar posted:

Instead of

I guess because it was a significant trial with a massive political impact and the minute-by-minute breakdown was part of the gun control debate. Though the opposite is the case with the Snowtown murders page, one of the most publicised trials in Australian history, where someone has dramatically shortened the article and edited out all the descriptions of torture etc since the last iteration of this thread (probably for the best though).

I was looking for a half decent longform on the matter and the results were kinda lol

Anyway, on to something non-murder related:
Herpes B virus has a high fatality rate.

quote:

Herpes simian B virus (Macacine herpesvirus 1 (formerly Cercopithecine herpesvirus 1, CHV-1[1]), Herpesvirus simiae, B virus) is the endemic simplexvirus of macaque monkeys. B virus is an alphaherpesvirus, which consists of a subset of herpes viruses that travel within hosts using the peripheral nerves. As such, this neurotropic virus is not found in the blood.

In the natural host, the virus exhibits pathogenesis similar to that of herpes simplex virus (HSV) in humans. Conversely, when humans are zoonotically infected with B virus, patients can present with severe central nervous system disease, resulting in permanent neurological dysfunction or death. Severity of the disease increases for untreated patients, with a case fatality rate of approximately 80%.[2] Early diagnosis and subsequent treatment are crucial to human survival of the infection.
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/14/us/a-drop-of-virus-from-a-monkey-kills-a-researcher-in-6-weeks.html

quote:

A Drop of Virus From a Monkey Kills a Researcher in 6 Weeks
Elizabeth R. Griffin, a 22-year-old primate researcher, was careful to follow the precautions intended to shield her from the diseased animals she handled. She always wore gloves and a mask, and she was usually separated from the primates by a mesh cage.

Death found its way past her defenses, literally in the blink of an eye.

Six weeks ago, Miss Griffin, who planned to be a doctor, was helping to move a caged rhesus monkey infected with the herpes B virus at the Yerkes Regional Primate Research Center here, when the animal flung a tiny drop of fluid -- perhaps urine or feces -- at her face.

It struck her in the eye. On Wednesday, paralyzed and weakened, she died of complications from herpes B, which is common in primates but rare and deadly, 70 percent of the time, in humans.

The consequences of that animal-to-human contact, and the almost freakish way it caused Miss Griffin's death, seem lifted from Hollywood. Unlike the movies, however, there is no public health risk here, researchers said, just a single misfortune.

Only 40 cases of primate-to-human transmission of the virus have been reported since 1933, when the first case of human exposure was seen. Almost all were the result of bites and scratches.

Miss Griffin, from Kingsport, Ga., probably never thought she was at risk.

''This was an extraordinarily low-risk activity by any measure we have,'' said Dr. Thomas Gordon, associate director for scientific programs at the Yerkes center, which is an arm of Emory University's medical school. The center conducts research in AIDS, neuroscience, gene therapy and other areas, and is a frequent target of animal rights protesters.

On the day she was infected, Miss Griffin was dressed as usual, wearing a mask, gloves and lab coat. The monkey's cage was covered by a fine wire mesh to protect her and others from the animal's teeth and claws.

Health regulations require researchers to wear goggles or safety glasses when there is a risk of contact with an animal's fluids, as when an animal is removed from its cage. But that was not required in this case because Miss Griffin was holding the cage at arm's length, officials said.

''During this transfer, as she tried to look into the cage to check the status of the monkey, something came out,'' Dr. Gordon said. ''Because it was so minor an event, it was not even viewed by the individual as serious.''

Two weeks after she felt the tiny drop hit her eye, he said, Miss Griffin developed a headache and eye infection. Miss Griffin, who graduated this year with a degree in biology from Agnes Scott College, was admitted to Emory University Hospital, and at first responded well to antiviral medication. She even went home. But about 10 days ago, her legs became weak and she went back to the hospital.

By that time, the disease had ravaged her. Herpes B, which has few clear treatment guidelines because there have been so few cases, causes encephalomyelitis, an inflammation of the brain and spinal cord, which leads to paralysis.

Miss Griffin, breathing with the aid of a respirator, was unable to move, Dr. Gordon said, but was alert until just before her death from bacterial infections and respiratory distress syndrome.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

uvar posted:

Part of it is probably because the coroner and investigation for Port Arthur was documented to an extreme level, beyond what a normal single homicide would have been. I suspect the Norway version that happened later is similarly detailed.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I'd like to think he was crystallized in it, like a prehistoric Piss Christ.

FTFY

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Ariong posted:

Meh, her death could have been more horrible. 5/10.

Yeah, this thing you just said is pretty crazy.

Did you miss the part where I called it horrific? I was talking about the description in the article and not the crime itself. I've been working on a true crime television series for just over 10 years now so every week I have to hear and see fairly graphic descriptions of absolutely horrible crimes (sometimes similar to this one, sometimes worse). This is probably why the writing in the article didn't seem as graphic and distasteful to me as it did to others.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Solice Kirsk posted:

i saw a csi or similar show episode where the corpse gets packed in a box with silica gel packets

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Comstar posted:

Part of it is probably because the coroner and investigation for Port Arthur was documented to an extreme level, beyond what a normal single homicide would have been. I suspect the Norway version that happened later is similarly detailed.

The Utøya attack isn't quite that in depth , but the Columbine one is exactly as unnervingly dissected - at times down to their actions at individual seconds.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Jose posted:

i saw a csi or similar show episode where the corpse gets packed in a box with silica gel packets

I'm sure the character had a source for them, but I'm imagining someone painstakingly collecting them from shoeboxes in stores for ages before they have enough to hide a murder.

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

uvar posted:

I agree that Wikipedia pages should be kept as free from needless detail as possible. We should go even further and reduce entries like this one to "A bad thing happened."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Loucks posted:

I agree that Wikipedia pages should be kept as free from needless detail as possible. We should go even further and reduce entries like this one to "A bad thing happened."

"How bad was this incident? Bad, or bad-bad?"

"It's gone all the way to bad-bad-bad-badbad."

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Double plus ungood.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

HairyManling posted:

What's going on in here? People are unnerved and grossed out by articles in a thread dedicated to unnerving and terrible things? Why, I never!

It's more that "unnerving" implies a more subtle emotional effect than "viscerally horrifying" and also that there's a bit of a… gulf between the two.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

"How bad was this incident? Bad, or bad-bad?"

"It's gone all the way to bad-bad-bad-badbad."

"The wind up, and the pitch"

"Werewolf?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted: