Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Skwirl posted:

Netflix seems to be playing pretty fast and loose with their genre classifications

You never watched the Masha and the Bear episodes about the Syrian refugee crisis or the How I Met Your Mother where Barney finds out he has incurable pancreatic cancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
No longer worried about skynet becoming self-aware

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Finally got around to watching Green Room.

:stare:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Skwirl posted:

It's right about Black Mirror

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Skwirl posted:

well if the martian counts then why not those

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CPL593H posted:

I would remake Seven Pounds, but everyone is a jellyfish and then at the end of the movie the main jellyfish commits suicide with Will Smith.
One jellyfish receives the main jellyfish's tentacles, and the others receive the main jellyfish's I dunno, undifferentiated mucus?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'd remake From Dusk Til Dawn and keep everything the same but switch Rodriguez and Tarantino just to see how it would turn out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

1999, 2016, 1978, 2003, 2014,

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Netflix should further troll users with a "Main character dies at the end" section.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just saw La La Land. It was a movie-rear end movie and I had a huge grin on my face for most of it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jimmy Fallon got what was coming to him: he was horribly unfunny and outclassed in both Trump Criticism and humor by multiple presenters and award winners.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hey, if you want to see a vampire and a werewolf walk towards each other while pumping bullets into each other's chests and then scream so hard at each other that the bullets fly out of their bodies, then watch Underworld: Blood Wars.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This checks out

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Just saw La La Land. It was a movie-rear end movie and I had a huge grin on my face for most of it.

I really loved it. Semi-related, I know a woman IRL whose sole purpose in life for the past week since she saw it has been to loudly complain on social media that she hated it, its flat, there's "nothing memorable except how awful it is" and so forth, on and on, forever. I get differences in taste and opinion, but holy god can I not stand contrarianism for its own sake.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 9, 2017

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Matilda still really holds up.

Ms. Trunchbull manages to be a better villain then anything Marvel has trotted out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Death By The Blues posted:

Matilda still really holds up.

Ms. Trunchbull manages to be a better villain then anything Marvel has trotted out.

I mean, the villains in the Marvel movies are really bland and unmemorable archetypes so this isn't saying much.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm glad La La Land is getting a good reception. It turns out my cousin's friend who collaborated on him in videos and stuff in college ended up having a role in the production of the film, so much so my cousin got invited to go to the red carpet premiere and watch the movie. Dude works for Lionsgate but I'm not sure what role he plays in filming.

Shame the week he was going to go down to the premiere was the week grandma died and he scrapped his plans to be a pallbearer with me. He could've still gone to the premiere, but he felt bad about having to take extra time off for the funeral and just decided to cancel the flight.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CPL593H posted:

I mean, the villains in the Marvel movies are really bland and unmemorable archetypes so this isn't saying much.

Marvel movies are bland and unmemorable in general, so par for the course.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hostile V posted:

I'm glad La La Land is getting a good reception. It turns out my cousin's friend who collaborated on him in videos and stuff in college ended up having a role in the production of the film, so much so my cousin got invited to go to the red carpet premiere and watch the movie. Dude works for Lionsgate but I'm not sure what role he plays in filming.
Decided to catch it a second time with a more packed night crowd and when the THE END card popped up, audience promptly burst into applause. But with it sweeping every category it was nominated for at the Globes and with the general existence of twitter, now the backlash can begin in earnest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Coaaab posted:

Decided to catch it a second time with a more packed night crowd and when the THE END card popped up, audience promptly burst into applause. But with it sweeping every category it was nominated for at the Globes and with the general existence of twitter, now the backlash can begin in earnest.

You just reminded me how angry right-wing nutjobs were that Child-Killing Sniper lost to Birdman at the Oscars.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Marvel movies are bland and unmemorable in general, so par for the course.

Me and my friend who's visiting from out of town were discussing that John Williams article where he discussed how unmemorable he found his own scores for Star Wars, and he mentioned seeing this bit where a guy approached people on the street and asked them to hum theme music from famous blockbusters. Then he asked them to hum music from any Marvel film, and they were all totally dumbfounded.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Criminal Minded posted:

Me and my friend who's visiting from out of town were discussing that John Williams article where he discussed how unmemorable he found his own scores for Star Wars, and he mentioned seeing this bit where a guy approached people on the street and asked them to hum theme music from famous blockbusters. Then he asked them to hum music from any Marvel film, and they were all totally dumbfounded.

It's like nutriloaf with edible glitter on top.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So I was just thinking about this and I still surprises me how no one ever mentions how scary the synthesizers at the beginning of this version of Winter Wonderland are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoraVkKtKzY

It's so goddamn spooky. It sounds like the bad scary music they used in Ghostbusters when bad scary thing happen.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That video is such a dizzying mishmash of images, it's like it was edited by William Burroughs.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

I'd want to remake John Carpenter's The Thing. Pretty much shot-for-shot, though, mostly just to replace the effects so as to avoid me doing a lot of work myself.

Very small changes here and there (not even plot ones, things like removing that weird screech when a Thing runs past what's-his-face late in the film, or having Bennings-Thing just sitting there waiting to be killed).

Oh, and whoever played Palmer would be forced in the contract to be the shadow on the wall when the Dog-thing came into their room. It was supposed to be him, but someone thought people would recognize David Clennon's shadow, and that was somehow a bad thing.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 9, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CPL593H posted:

It's so goddamn spooky. It sounds like the bad scary music they used in Ghostbusters when bad scary thing happen.

On the topic of that, Elmer Bernstein's Ghostbusters score is one of the greatest of all time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

On the topic of that, Elmer Bernstein's Ghostbusters score is one of the greatest of all time.

I bought a copy of the Ghostbusters soundtrack thinking it was going to be that stuff but it's basically a compilation of lovely 80s pop/rock. It only cost me a dollar though, so whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Criminal Minded posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Finally got around to watching Safe, and it was really good. It's weird how little I've heard about it - I wouldn't have even known it existed if not for someone here recommending it a while back, but it seems pretty widely well-regarded. Kinda want to double-feature it with '78 Invasion of the Bodysnatchers somewhere down the line after I've let it digest for a while.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The introduction of 9/11 in Hypernormalisation is extremely funny

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Tampopo (1985) rules. Comedy is a genre I'm really fickle about, I think that's true of most people, but I really adore the ones that pass the bar. The marketing for the film is quick to compare it to a western, but it's really more aligned with the Leslie Nielsen school of filmmaking, if still particularly Japanese in sensibility.

Tampopo is a film that really understands that food is the primal experience of love (the emblematic closing shot affirms this), and that all of our subsequent engagements with food are a nostalgic attempt to recapture that unparalleled feeling. But as we grow and mature, that simple pleasure necessarily becomes more complex: we chase novel sensory delight and the cuisine itself becomes more complex, we bind ourselves with ritual and etiquette, we layer erotic desire onto its signifiers, etc. This is pure absurdity, and it's a rich space for comedy that Tampopo exploits with a warm, affectionate sense of humanity.

It's a great movie, and probably the best date movie I've ever seen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You just reminded me how angry right-wing nutjobs were that Child-Killing Sniper lost to Birdman at the Oscars.

Herein the problem with the right-wing mentality:

They don't understand that a movie starring Michael Keaton is automatically better than a movie with an actor manipulating a baby doll with his thumb.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Peccadillo posted:

The introduction of 9/11 in Hypernormalisation is extremely funny

Yeah, it is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DC Murderverse posted:

Jimmy Fallon got what was coming to him: he was horribly unfunny and outclassed in both Trump Criticism and humor by multiple presenters and award winners.

The whole show started with a huge self-own when the teleprompter wasn't working and he panicked. A man whose career is based on doing live comedy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'd remake Ghosts of Mars, because it's already a schlocky-but-fun remake of Assault on Precinct 13, but there are just a couple obvious tweaks you could make that could turn it from a dumb B movie into a legit great movie.

I'd also remake Gremlins and set it in Silicon Valley. It'd be more focused on the anti-consumerist half of Gremlins that's about how the breakdown of technology affects our world, but instead of Christmas toys and such, it's about our society's focus on apps developed by absolute psychopaths that are sold to us as conveniences. The problem is that this idea already exists, and is real, and is Soylent constantly giving its customers food poisoning.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Relevant to this thread's interests, I love that Rebecca Hall just plugged Chapo Trap House on twitter.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Also, the newest Chapo has more from Ben Shapiro's True Allegiance. Nothing quite as good as a kid being paid to get murdered by a cop, but still drat funny. The Chapo Reading Series is maybe the best serial entertainment currently being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Lobok posted:

The whole show started with a huge self-own when the teleprompter wasn't working and he panicked. A man whose career is based on doing live comedy.

And literally any other professional comic would have managed to bounce back from that without a problem. Like you think Chris Rock would have stalled for time by pointing out famous people in the audience?

• Locked thread