Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't remember us having the entire Super Show in the UK, just the separate cartoons. I definitely never saw the live action segments.

You could get some of them on DVD at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't remember us having the entire Super Show in the UK, just the separate cartoons. I definitely never saw the live action segments.

When it ran on Sky one (even before BSB were gone) it certainly did have the skits.

UK tv was often more concerned about axing the psas (Sonic Says, Sailor Moon's etc) than anything else.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I remember getting a promo box for the FoxBox when it started up with a CD-rom in it. Fox really pushed it hard against WB's mainstays of Pokemon and YuGiOh. There was a time in the late 90s however where ABC wss really trying to be competitive with its own programming with shows like Recess and Fillmore on their block called "One Saturday Morning"

Fox and WB were huge into the M-F after school kids programming wars too

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I'm like six pages behind, but I saw that David Tennant as Scrooge has been covered, which leads me to a question.

Is anyone else not a fan of major Hollywood stars doing voice acting gigs? I mean, nothing against Tennant himself, but I just dislike the idea of using star power as a hook for your show. It's one of the reasons Dreamsworks movies bugged me a lot.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

So I'm like six pages behind, but I saw that David Tennant as Scrooge has been covered, which leads me to a question.

Is anyone else not a fan of major Hollywood stars doing voice acting gigs? I mean, nothing against Tennant himself, but I just dislike the idea of using star power as a hook for your show. It's one of the reasons Dreamsworks movies bugged me a lot.

Is David Tennant a major Hollywood star? I thought he had achieved geekdom fame with Doctor Who, but I've only heard of him in TV and cartoons so far.

It doesn't bother me in english because Patrick Warburton is the only guy I recognize immediately anyway, but I do have a problem when it's in my native french.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 9, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I don't think Tennant has broken full Hollywood yet. He's mostly just done TV.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Once you're in a Harry Potter you're full on famous, sorry.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, Alan Young was already pretty famous at least as far as TV goes prior to him voicing Scrooge so it's really not all that different in this case.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 9, 2017

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Shabadu posted:

That doesn't count, he was in the movie for ten minutes. It's the kind of role that appears on "movies you never knew actors were in" click-bait lists.

Way to go, Disney. Cashing in on that love eight year olds have for David Tennant.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

Counterpoint: Elijah Wood was awesome in Beyond the Garden Wall.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Shabadu posted:

He was in Harry Potter? Which one?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

He was the villain in Azkaban. Granted, it didn't amount to much total screentime but to me that signals that big name people knew who he was.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Scabbers?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Shabadu posted:

He was the villain in Azkaban. Granted, it didn't amount to much total screentime but to me that signals that big name people knew who he was.

*pushes glasses up nose*

Actually, David Tennant was in Goblet of Fire, the fourth movie. He was the son of a Ministry of Magic official, who was convicted of being one of Voldemort's Death Eaters and sent to Azkaban. Later, he brakes out, kidnaps Mad-Eye Moody, and poses as him at Hogwarts until he is found out and captured. His actual screen time is about 14 minutes, and the movie came the same year he started his run on Doctor Who. So, he had zero brand-recognition. So yeah, it is the kind of role that's significant only after you've watched him in other things and doesn't really factor into his star power at all.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC_jddH_0MI&t=144s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEWQ3AXrgI

His screentime.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Apparently the Bomb format is the new meta for cartoons because Star vs is airing a new episode every weekday in February.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUJkvYf5GZI

I just found out about this.. this looks, really, really bad.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Their scooby doo movie was real good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really want them to keep doing this. I need the Hanna BarbWWEra Cinematic Universe to continue growing. Flintstones, Scooby Doo (x2) and Jetsons are only the beginning.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I really want them to keep doing this. I need the Hanna BarbWWEra Cinematic Universe to continue growing. Flintstones, Scooby Doo (x2) and Jetsons are only the beginning.

This expansive verse transcends Hannah Barbera

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You know, I never thought about it much, but the Jetsons left nowhere near as big of an impression on pop culture as the Flintstones.

I guess rock puns and using dinosaurs instead of technology was way more appealing than fancy future gadgets and every problem being more trivial than your average first world problem.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Apparently the Bomb format is the new meta for cartoons because Star vs is airing a new episode every weekday in February.

So like, 20 new episodes? Because that's kind of insane

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

PicklePants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUJkvYf5GZI

I just found out about this.. this looks, really, really bad.

Poor Bigshow just never was the same when Bully Demise left the WWE :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

You know, I never thought about it much, but the Jetsons left nowhere near as big of an impression on pop culture as the Flintstones.

The current legacy of the Flintstones is vitamins, cereal, and a video game music meme. It's not much better.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

The current legacy of the Flintstones is vitamins, cereal, and a video game music meme. It's not much better.

don't forget the current comic

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

don't forget the current comic

I'm sure someone will write an edgy comic using or based on the Jetsons soon enough. There's already some for Scooby doo and Wacky Races already.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure someone will write an edgy comic using or based on the Jetsons soon enough. There's already some for Scooby doo and Wacky Races already.

The Flinstones comic isn't edgy, it's hilarious.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

I like the Flintstones comic, but this does look pretty ridiculous out of context.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

So like, 20 new episodes? Because that's kind of insane

Only 14. I was wrong about every weekday. Just every monday through thursday. Also there's going to be two half hour specials on 2/27.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 11, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

This expansive verse transcends Hannah Barbera

That's more like the Fantastic Four movies since it's Sony, but yes, that's awesome too. 2021 will hit us up with The Emoji Movie 2: Wrestlemoji

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pakled posted:

The Flinstones comic isn't edgy, it's hilarious.

I tried thumbing through the issue where they were like "Ok gently caress, Asteroid is gonna get us" and I dunno if find it good or utter insanity :psyduck:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its a bit of both.

There's a whole issue where they use marriage as a metaphor for gay couples until they drop it and just say "this is about gay couples"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It helps that it's written by a person who doesn't like the original Flinstones, so it's actually more digestible than you'd expect. No kissing rear end to the original show plus an actual new spin on things mixed with a good editor overseeing stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess rock puns and using dinosaurs instead of technology was way more appealing than fancy future gadgets and every problem being more trivial than your average first world problem.

It's left a subtle impression, in that you still hear that buzzing sound of the flying cars sometimes in comedic depictions of the future. But yeah, for the most part it was Silver Hawks to Flintstone's Thundercats.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gann Jerrod posted:

I like the Flintstones comic, but this does look pretty ridiculous out of context.

Didn't this panel came from a storyline where the company where Fred works ousted more primitive humans from their homeland?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If I have to live in a world where the only comic ideas that are considered for publication are the ones attached to an existing IP, I'm not going to complain about some passable commentary about modern society hidden by the set dressing of the Flinstones.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

The MSJ posted:

Didn't this panel came from a storyline where the company where Fred works ousted more primitive humans from their homeland?

They were fighting against the Tree People. Bam Bam was a war orphan Barney found in the wreckage. No joke though, that Wilma flashback was pretty great.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've given half of dozen episode of Bunnicula a watch. It's very hit or miss.

It's hard to put my finger on what's wrong with it. My best summation so far is that it tries to match high-paced slapstick with lots of dialogue. The delivery of the one-liners lacks oomph, it sounds like the actors are just getting through the line so they can get to the next joke. The relationship between the three main pets is something you seen before- it's the Spongebob-Patrick-Squidward dynamic all over again.

Some episodes have been good though, usually the ones that lean away from one-liners.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The one gripe I have with Bunnicula is how they made Harold into the standard Dumb Dong

edit: I noticed my typo but I refuse to fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MrSlam posted:

Bam Bam was a war orphan Barney found in the wreckage.

I can't possibly imagine defeating an army of Bam-Bams.