Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

morallyobjected posted:

Sam tells Nate that someone bought a bunch of their mom's old stuff. it didn't just wind up there for no explained reason. she bought her protege's stuff because she was brilliant and she had some affection for her

Let me clarify - it would be a better explanation for how her stuff ended up there. Yes, they were proteges, but I think Cassandra being Evelyn's daughter gives them more weight - she wasn't just someone Evelyn worked with, she was the only familial connection Evelyn had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's narratively stupid for them to be related at all.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Apep727 posted:

Let me clarify - it would be a better explanation for how her stuff ended up there.
No, it wouldn't, it would be extremely dumb and cheap writing.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It would make her having Cassandra's stuff a more natural thing, which it's not supposed to be.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

bobjr posted:

I'm honestly surprised Nate doesn't have more issues than he does, especially when you realize Sully is the closest thing he has to a dad.

Sully's a better parent figure than you'd make him out for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

He taught Nathan how to smoke 5 cigars at once while drinking something and not put any of them out or burn himself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Potato Jones posted:

No, it wouldn't, it would be extremely dumb and cheap writing.

It would be soap opera as gently caress so it would fit the game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think them being related would have been fine, but only so long as it wasn't a shocking revelation or anything. The whole flashback plot would have to be completely different, though, so for how they scripted everything it's probably better that they weren't.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And if they were related and worked so closely before youd think the boys would have been introduced at some point.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
That Evelyn doesn't have any family and her closest connection is a colleague is kinda the point.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, it's entirely relevant that Evelyn's last communication with her family is like years old and it's her son telling her to go gently caress herself, and stay out of his family's life. Evelyn is to stand in for what could happen to Nate if he pushes Sully and Elena away for the sake of adventure, fame, glory, and mountains of pirate treasure. It's where Rafe is headed, presuming he doesn't serve as final boss or meet his end in some poetic, thematically fitting end. Nate could end up there too, if he pushes his family away. Assuming he doesn't join the mouldy old pirate bones.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
In other Uncharted news, the script for the potential movie has been finished which means it will probably rot forever and never be made
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO-m4IiAeBg/

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And if they were related and worked so closely before youd think the boys would have been introduced at some point.

Given their in-game relationship, you'd think Cassandra would have introduced them to her. They're clearly interested in all this stuff, so they'd love to hang out in a cool mansion/museum while their mom and Evelyn discuss stuff. Hell, you'd think she would have at least mentioned Evelyn at some point. On top of that, if Evelyn is so drat famous (which she looks to be) how is it that neither Sam nor Nate appear to know anything about her?

drat, there's a lot of plot-holes in this. Maybe I should stop thinking about it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Apep727 posted:

Given their in-game relationship, you'd think Cassandra would have introduced them to her. They're clearly interested in all this stuff, so they'd love to hang out in a cool mansion/museum while their mom and Evelyn discuss stuff. Hell, you'd think she would have at least mentioned Evelyn at some point. On top of that, if Evelyn is so drat famous (which she looks to be) how is it that neither Sam nor Nate appear to know anything about her?

drat, there's a lot of plot-holes in this. Maybe I should stop thinking about it.

she's historian-famous. could you name a famous contemporary historian when you were 12?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bobjr posted:

I'm honestly surprised Nate doesn't have more issues than he does, especially when you realize Sully is the closest thing he has to a dad.

Well, we only ever see Nate when he's on an adventure. It's easy to get lost in a job and just not think about that kind of stuff.

We do see him at the start of the game at home, looking at Sam's stuff and not wanting to open it up, 15 years after the fact, and being opaque with Elena about how he's dissatisfied with life right now and unsure how to open up.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

morallyobjected posted:

she's historian-famous. could you name a famous contemporary historian when you were 12?

Could you, on sight, name the year of creation of random pottery? These aren't your usual kids.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Apep727 posted:

there is no reason for the mother to mention this colleague of hers she might have stopped working with before the boys were even born, we have no context for times or anything about when they were working together, it's not a plot hole

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
So, what, she spent possibly years researching the whole "Drake had secret kids" and all that stuff about Avery's treasure, and then just gave it up? But not enough to avoid teaching her kids all about historical figures and Latin? And despite teaching them all that, she never talked about her own past, like when she worked with a super-famous adventurer/archaeologist lady? Because that's the kind of a big deal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Apep727 posted:

And despite teaching them all that, she never talked about her own past, like when she worked with a super-famous adventurer/archaeologist lady? Because that's the kind of a big deal.

Uh, yeah? When my dad was my age, he was getting shuttled all around the pacific rim to do on-site camera work. Months at a time in Aus, NZ, the JP, west coast... and I never heard a single word about it until after I moved out.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Cassandra died when the boys were very young. Sam grew up in the orphanage and can't have been any older than Nathan was in the flashback when they first ended up there. She was also ill for a while and probably wasn't working for Evelyn when she died because of that. Considering how young they were, I don't think it's far fetched that Cassandra didn't outline the specifics of her research to Sam and Nate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

VanSandman posted:

It's narratively stupid for them to be related at all.

Apep727 is George Lucas.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
It was alluded to that Cassandra Morgan suffered from a unrevealed illness and killed herself. It's completely plausible that she hadn't worked with Evelyn for years, depending on what her illness was.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

RareAcumen posted:

He taught Nathan how to smoke 5 cigars at once while drinking something and not put any of them out or burn himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWZF1O3DGFY

Alright now that would be impressive and a great life skill. Grease dad 4 lyfe.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Fine. Whatever. I'm tired of arguing about this.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Apep727 is George Lucas.

Wow. gently caress you too, dude.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah it's less about who he is and more what he was. As good of a person he can be he was still an international con man/smuggler involved with a weird British cult lady.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Sully may not have been in the ideal career to be a father, but he probably broke off ties with Marlowe after he the incident when he met Nate. Sully is still a great dude who taught Nate how to properly light a cigar, pour a beer, and steal a man's wallet, watch and girlfriend.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

malkav11 posted:

Cassandra is their mother, who's already long dead. The old lady was Evelyn.

Wow, how did I miss that? :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jetrauben posted:

Wow, how did I miss that? :(

You probably weren't paying attention to the entire chapter, which was almost entirely focused on Evelyn's backstory.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Apep727 posted:

Release the original unedited trilogy, you bastard :argh:

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

CharlestheHammer posted:

It would be soap opera as gently caress so it would fit the game.

The only Soap Opera thing about this Sam existing at all, and that's like babby's first season lovely daytime soap twist, not your full blown "everyone is interconnected and related cause we have to recycle actors due to our own lovely ability to keep a consistent story fresh without cliches"- so I disagree on the whole "Evelyn is their grandma" thing fitting with this.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

• The treasures in the house being toys are probably in part a further reference to Evelyn neglecting the really important thing.

I think it fits better to emphasize that Nathan is a child during this moment in his life. He has a child's priorities and so the "treasures" he finds are toys, he finds treasures at all because this is an uncharted game and in uncharted games you pick treasures up off the ground. After all it isn't like Evelyn is neglecting these objects, she's kept them all these years right next to her priceless historical artifacts and her child's room is still laid out; so many things are stored away but not Edmund's stuff. Clearly at some point she realized the mistakes she made in her own life, but she couldn't undo her choices.

Apep727 posted:

Fine. Whatever. I'm tired of arguing about this.

grow a thicker skin dude.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

It was alluded to that Cassandra Morgan suffered from a unrevealed illness and killed herself. It's completely plausible that she hadn't worked with Evelyn for years, depending on what her illness was.

I agree that Cassandra probably hadn't worked with Evelyn in years (it felt to me like Evelyn was surprised that Cassandra had children, not just shocked that strangers had broken into her house.) However, it's also entirely possible that Cassandra had told Evelyn that she chose to start a family/stay with her husband instead of continuing to work for her, which would keep to the "stable family life vs unpredictable adventure" theme of this game. Cassandra could have also stopped working with Evelyn when she found out she had said unrevealed illness and after an unknown amount of time chose to "end things her way."

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Waffleman_ posted:

You probably weren't paying attention to the entire chapter, which was almost entirely focused on Evelyn's backstory.

Nah, it was just a stupid mental typo. :( Oh well.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

From what I remember from 3, I think Marlow says she killed herself when Nate was 5, if that helps with the timeframe of all this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

From what I remember from 3, I think Marlow says she killed herself when Nate was 5, if that helps with the timeframe of all this.

There's some info the Uncharted wiki found to figure out the timeline of the game, based on things like stamps on passports and dialogue. Nate was born in 1975 or 1976 (he's a whopping 40 or 41 years old in Uncharted 4!) and was surrendered to the state after his mother's suicide at the age of 5, around 1980 or 1981. Sam is 5 years older than him, so he's 45 or 46 in this game. The escape from the orphanage and breaking into Evelyn's mansion is some time in the 1980s, probably around 1985 to 1987 based on how old the brothers look. The flashback from Uncharted 3 of Nate meeting Sully is almost definitely in 1990 when Nate is 15. This puts the Panamanian prison flashback where Sam gets shot at 2000, when Nate would be about 25 and Sam about 30.

This also puts the games at 2005 for Golden Abyss, 2006 for Uncharted 1, 2009 for Uncharted 2, 2010 for Uncharted 3, and 2015 for Uncharted 4.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 9, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is it five years between 3 and 4 tho? I thought Nate retired from treasure hunting two years ago, and settleed down immediately after 3?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

akulanization posted:

grow a thicker skin dude.

Sorry if I don't respond well to someone insulting me in the middle of an increasingly annoying argument. And in a thread where I got put on probation for making a joke.

Also, you need to drop the sanctimonious attitude, dude.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Please don't do this, George.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, I'm going to get a bit personal here:

I'm an aspiring writer. I want to write fiction, and get paid for it. I want to see stuff with my name on it in book stores and libraries. I like writing, and like to think that I'm pretty good at it.

So when you jokingly compared my narrative sensibilities to George Lucas's (and I think we all know which of his movies you're referencing) I got offended. You might have meant that as a joke, but it's not funny to me. You're not just making fun of my opinion, you're making fun of a core part of who I am.

But hey, you got a chuckle out this, and that's all that really matters, right?

Screw you, you goddamn troll.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh my god just drop it.

• Locked thread