Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cakefarts Carol posted:

does the knockoff one have the picture of tilda swinton instead of leo on it or

God, I hope so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Quick, let me balance this out with another really old pen that looks like it has dazzle camouflage.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Megabound posted:

Quick, let me balance this out with another really old pen that looks like it has dazzle camouflage.

Pretty pretty.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Bought a spalted maple Les Paul style kit to build my own guitar:

https://www.dealscube.com/uploads/cache/41q5pjslGfL-500x500.png

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Coffee And Pie posted:

Listen my dude I paid $50 for a full size plastic skeleton, my definition of adult is a moving target

You and I should be best friends.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kitchen shears for spatchcocking a chicken. Worked great, would spatchcock again. Tasty roast chicken with crispy skin ready in under an hour.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

Coredump posted:

What car?

E90

I got this over Carley as I really don't want to rely on wireless transfers for anything related to my car. I can buy a cable and buy beefier software for my laptop if I need to code anything and felt this was a nice in between for my needs. The Schwaben also has additional BMW modules over the standard Foxwell NT510 with BMW software out of the box.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

chicagobutters posted:

E90

I got this over Carley as I really don't want to rely on wireless transfers for anything related to my car. I can buy a cable and buy beefier software for my laptop if I need to code anything and felt this was a nice in between for my needs. The Schwaben also has additional BMW modules over the standard Foxwell NT510 with BMW software out of the box.

Link it? I have an E89 and want to do things like be able to change my own battery. I have resisted pulling the trigger on Carly for now, but I also can't get the loving "safety inspection" light to reset despite doing the magic reset dance and getting the little "thinking" clock. I have reset other lights after doing maintenance.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
German Engineering

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

Link it? I have an E89 and want to do things like be able to change my own battery. I have resisted pulling the trigger on Carly for now, but I also can't get the loving "safety inspection" light to reset despite doing the magic reset dance and getting the little "thinking" clock. I have reset other lights after doing maintenance.

Schwaben BMW Scan Tool purchase link.

Edit: I like this tool a lot and really happy to have a dedicated tool for this purpose and then some.

Read the entire thread and you can check out the difference between this Schwaben by Foxwell and the Foxwell NT510 linked here. Post 60 shows the modules that come with the Schwaben and have to be purchased additionally if you buy the Foxwell NT510 and download the BMW specific software.

It can register batteries of the same type but can not code a different type of battery, take note of that.

Software is improving all the time, but there are more powerful options out there. That said, one trip to a dealership or a few trips to the indy shop can cost as much as this tool... not to mention the time savings of not having to leave your parking spot.

chicagobutters has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Jan 9, 2017

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
An entire G3 iMac just because I wanted the keyboard

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Enjoy seeing the crumbs in your new keyboard forever.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

IUG posted:

Enjoy seeing the crumbs in your new keyboard forever.

He really wants to see the goop

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I like old Macs but it's not like buying an old PC, software isn't as easy to come by.

colas has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Jan 9, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

colas posted:

I like old Macs but it's not like buying an old PC, software isn't as easy to come by.

Just turn it into a fish tank.

I have one of the swivel mounted models that can't even open a browser anymore that I can't bring myself to throw away, it is basically a pretty digital photo frame.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Can you use old macs for anything?

I've always thought that the G5 Powermac's metal case looked really cool - but can it still do useful things if I bought one on a whim?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I still have my G4 iMac (the swing arm type) for some dumb reason. It will forever live in my attic.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I know nothing about macs, can the screen be used to display from other sources? Could be fun to mess around with it and a raspberry pi.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Coffee And Pie posted:

I know nothing about macs, can the screen be used to display from other sources? Could be fun to mess around with it and a raspberry pi.

This is exactly what Im looking into right now, or at least hollowing it out and installing a similar flatpanel along with the Pi. I only paid 30€ for the entire thing so im not too fussed but I would like to do something with the main shell

spog posted:

I've always thought that the G5 Powermac's metal case looked really cool - but can it still do useful things if I bought one on a whim?

Yeah you can rip the insides out and build an actual computer inside with a bit of tweaking. Pretty much the only thing worth salvaging from any mac is the loving crafted body they throw their crap in

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Jan 9, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

spog posted:

Heat your apartment.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

spog posted:

I have an old blue and white G3 tower that I'd like to stuff a mATX motherboard in at some point. I genuinely love that era of apple's design and the fold down case was awesome for working in.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Bought my friend's old Arc'Teryx Atom AR. So warm & fits under my Alpha jacket.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Steelseries Arctis 7

My current headset has been acting up lately and even with the volume cranked up to max it's sometimes barely a whisper for movies and videos

Never was a fan of wireless before as they tend to stay plugged in anyways , but this headset always has top points from reviewers. So we shall see

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Just used Zenni optical for the first time. Bought two new pairs of glasses because the first one was so cheap I felt bad. Gonna have the second be prescription sunglasses.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Aramek posted:

Just used Zenni optical for the first time. Bought two new pairs of glasses because the first one was so cheap I felt bad. Gonna have the second be prescription sunglasses.

I've used them for a few years now - I love them. My strategy is basically to order like 4 pairs at a time, and if one or two of them don't look good on me I just throw them away, because buying four pairs for about $50 is still infinitely cheaper than buying one pair for like $300 at Lenscrafters

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
This is the Mojo v3. It is neither a gun part nor a bicycle part:

It's a little FPGA with an Arduino roommate in what the vendor claims is an easy to program package.

These are shields for the Mojo. This one is for playing with up to 24 servos:

This one is covered in RGB LEDs, has a light sensor, buzzer, and microphone on board, and includes three buttons. I think the intent was to make it easy (plug two things together) to make it hellishly difficult (code the hardware THEN code the software) to make a clock:

This one is just a hot mess of inputs and outputs:

This one isn't a Mojo shield, but it is a book by a good publisher about the Mojo. It uses the hot I/O mess shield in examples:

Ever since reading this article about FPGAs, I've been fascinated by the idea of reconfigurable hardware. I've very likely bitten off more than I can chew, but it should be all kinds of fun to make little beeps and boops in entirely too complicated a fashion. It blows my mind that I can just plug an FPGA into a laptop as easily as a drat Arduino, and that I can do it at the Mojo's price.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That's fuckin cool.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

This is the Mojo v3. It is neither a gun part nor a bicycle part:

It's a little FPGA with an Arduino roommate in what the vendor claims is an easy to program package.

These are shields for the Mojo. This one is for playing with up to 24 servos:

This one is covered in RGB LEDs, has a light sensor, buzzer, and microphone on board, and includes three buttons. I think the intent was to make it easy (plug two things together) to make it hellishly difficult (code the hardware THEN code the software) to make a clock:

This one is just a hot mess of inputs and outputs:

This one isn't a Mojo shield, but it is a book by a good publisher about the Mojo. It uses the hot I/O mess shield in examples:

Ever since reading this article about FPGAs, I've been fascinated by the idea of reconfigurable hardware. I've very likely bitten off more than I can chew, but it should be all kinds of fun to make little beeps and boops in entirely too complicated a fashion. It blows my mind that I can just plug an FPGA into a laptop as easily as a drat Arduino, and that I can do it at the Mojo's price.

Is there a topic on this stuff on SA? My coworker gave me an Espruino board to play with. I know nothing about this stuff, and want my first project to be a simple pulsing LED.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sure you could make it a gun or bike part with some experience.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

IUG posted:

Is there a topic on this stuff on SA? My coworker gave me an Espruino board to play with. I know nothing about this stuff, and want my first project to be a simple pulsing LED.

Pretty sure there was an Arduino thread.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Snows a lot where I live, so I bought a pair of LL Bean boots:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

IUG posted:

arduino thread
embedded programming thread
electronics thread

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Ah yeah, can't wait to spend all weekend looking at 1's and 0's in wave form with my schmancy new oscilloscope :awesome:

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Jan 12, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Coooooooool.

But why?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

some things for climbing

and some things for not climbing

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Jaybird Freedom wireless earbuds. The thing I really like about them is that the internal battery has a 4 hour charge, and it comes with a little pack that you just slap onto the controls to give it another 4 hours battery life.

Plus this cheap tablet http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_429776.html

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ah yeah, can't wait to spend all weekend looking at 1's and 0's in wave form with my schmancy new oscilloscope :awesome:

You bought an oscilloscope within a week of getting your first synth; this does not bode well for your wallet. :v:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FirstPlayer posted:

You bought an oscilloscope within a week of getting your first synth; this does not bode well for your wallet. :v:

Ahahahaha... ha... ha

I'm screwed :cripes:

Rolo posted:

Coooooooool.

But why?

Largely above, but also because I really want to learn more about electricity and circuit design. Plus now I can better troubleshoot arduino projects, specifically one from awhile back that's been giving me fits (I think I damaged some of the components with high temp hot glue). And mainly because I love tools, especially nice ones.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Jan 13, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I see we're all posting headphones

Cable busted on my old ones so decided to go for something I could replace the cable on easily. Also they apparently sound awesome? Will find out tonight.

E: vvv That'd be kind of a weird jokepost, I'm just half asleep. They're Studio CB-1s

mfcrocker has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No logo and you don't post the name. Is this some joke post?