Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Bill Simmons Was Always Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not shocked at all that his HBO show flopped. I remember questioning in this very thread if the general population even knew who he was enough to care about whatever he did next. Several people tried to tell me what a big deal he was. But, despite being a huge sports fan, I've never really read anything he's written or seen him on any shows. My exposure to him has been: a) I watch 30 for 30 (which, while it was his concept, is mostly a collection of other people's creative efforts), b) I read a few articles on Grantland (they weren't his articles, so basically same as 30 for 30), c) I've read a billion news stories ABOUT him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, how many hot takes on the giants WRs today?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

So, how many hot takes on the giants WRs today?

They're mostly on OBJ from what I'm seeing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

They're mostly on OBJ from what I'm seeing

I'm still of the belief that the media blew it way out of proportion

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Skip & Shannon: Undisputed beat (ESPN2's) SportsCenter last Thursday :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Skip & Shannon: Undisputed beat (ESPN2's) SportsCenter last Thursday :psyduck:

Key word: ESPN2

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I liked reading Bill Simmons because he seemed like an average guy who liked the oddities of sports and lucked into access to it and shared what he saw. I loved his reports from the Cleveland sports memorabilia show and all the weird stuff he would find.

That said I probably wouldn't want to hear him talk very long.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

iospace posted:

I'm still of the belief that the media blew it way out of proportion

I'm one of the squarest, fun hatingest people to have ever walked this planet of Earth and I don't understand this whole business at all.

A guy went and partied on a boat on his day off? Uh, isn't that sort of the point?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sash! posted:

I'm one of the squarest, fun hatingest people to have ever walked this planet of Earth and I don't understand this whole business at all.

A guy went and partied on a boat on his day off? Uh, isn't that sort of the point?

Football players are to do literally nothing but play/practice/study their playbooks. Add in a certain other factor they're black :ssh: and you've got something primed to be a blown out of proportion shitshow.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/recordsandradio/status/818644909477347328

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/tole_cover/status/818657009662836736

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I wound up watching the coaches one because it's a really good game but Bill Walton really made me think twice about it. I'd have definitely gone that feed if it was a blowout

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who is more high: Bill Walton or Snoop Dogg?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

I wound up watching the coaches one because it's a really good game but Bill Walton really made me think twice about it. I'd have definitely gone that feed if it was a blowout

the bill walton one is infuriating because it's bill walton and then a bunch of people yelling. coaches' feed owns, it's the BYU coach getting really upset about pick plays and celebrations and babers owning everyone and adazzio literally unable to sit still

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bill walton one is infuriating because it's bill walton and then a bunch of people yelling. coaches' feed owns, it's the BYU coach getting really upset about pick plays and celebrations and babers owning everyone and adazzio literally unable to sit still
To be fair, there have been at least two illegal QB shots and a clear-as-loving-day pick that have gone uncalled in that game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Who is more high: Bill Walton or Snoop Dogg?

Willie Nelson

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one of the coaches is violently blowing his nose into his lav

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Also they brought out snacks, everyone got super excited, and it was followed by like ten minutes of audible chewing and crinkling chip bags

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Important point from Scott Van Pelt: Since Bill Walton is 6'11" that almost certainly means he had to have that sequinned Uncle Sam suit custom-made just for tonight.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Important point from Scott Van Pelt: Since Bill Walton is 6'11" that almost certainly means he had to have that sequinned Uncle Sam suit custom-made just for tonight.

why does it have to be for just tonight

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

why does it have to be for just tonight
Good point

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crazy Ted posted:

Tangential to all this, if Stuart Scott were still around he'd totally be hosting a Sportscenter at Night :smith:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Pretty sure it was just a Globetrotters warmup with a special hat

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

Killjoy

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Like 80% chance Bill just had that in his wardrobe and wears it around the house.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

That isn't what he globetrotter warmup looks like. They don't wear ties in the layup line

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/BW_Jones/status/818704743832965123

:allears:.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Like 80% chance Bill just had that in his wardrobe and wears it around the house.
...and nothing else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I respect the hell out of Dabo.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
*extremely DS9 promenade background noise*

Daboooooo!!!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Spoeank posted:

*extremely DS9 promenade background noise*

Daboooooo!!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/notthefakeSVP/status/818728648073244672

It's just people dunking on hot take artists left and right tonight. Incredible.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Keepin' it 1600 crew left The Ringer to do their own thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:drat:/:perfect:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

That isn't what he globetrotter warmup looks like. They don't wear ties in the layup line

I wasn't serious, guys.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/818707228928548864
Who's worse with hopping on the bandwagon, Skip or Colin?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Keepin' it 1600 crew left The Ringer to do their own thing.

I don't think they expected to continue past the election, but that's a big blow for the Ringer, imo

Like I see it's number one on iTunes for whoever thought interest would be low post-election

While I'm at it I see Schefter's podcast is supposed to debut today

e: and the first guest is Jerry Jones

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 10, 2017

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

I don't think they expected to continue past the election, but that's a big blow for the Ringer, imo

Like I see it's number one on iTunes for whoever thought interest would be low post-election

While I'm at it I see Schefter's podcast is supposed to debut today

e: and the first guest is Jerry Jones

They're really entertaining. I thought they were the best part of the Ringer podcasts so yeah, pretty big blow to them. I was curious why the hell I wasn't getting shows in their feed so I guess this explains it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

they're starting a left wing breitbart. it's called crooked media