Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Yeah, I guess I should have posted "new".

Honestly, not that surprised they didn't do a new tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I just ordered a Samsung Tab S2 used off of Swappa to go with the Pixel that's being delivered this week. I ping-pong between using an iPhone/iPad and whatever the Android equivalents of those are, currently. Since the Pixel C lacks what I consider to be table stakes for tablets at this point (fingerprint sensor for unlocking) I went with the Tab S2 instead, since it seems to be the closest thing Android has to an iPad-quality device.

Am... am I going to be horribly disappointed or is this thing decent? Even with a hugephone, I still use tablets a shitload because I like a nice canvas for reading. I find going from an Android phone to an iOS tablet (or vice verse) incredibly jarring so I keep matched pairs, much to my wife's annoyance. The hardware seems to be fine for a current tablet even given its age, but this is my first Samsung device since the Galaxy Nexus (which I actually liked quite a bit) and, Note 7 explosions aside, people seem to either love the current Samsung phones tremendously or consider them utter garbage. There's not nearly as much opinion out there from actual users about the tablet.

Anybody been using one? Love it or hate it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just personal opinion, but going from a Samsung software build to something like the pixel is nearly as jarring as going from iOS to Android.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Just personal opinion, but going from a Samsung software build to something like the pixel is nearly as jarring as going from iOS to Android.

Holy poo poo this.

Wife and I both have tablets. I have a shield, and she has a Tab S 8.4. Trying to use her tablet drives me insane. It's even worse when I have to use her phone because she has all the TW stuff enabled and I have all of mine turned off (we both have an S6).

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
For what it's worth, I have a nexus 6P and don't really have any issues with my Samsung Tab S2 but I mainly just use to to watch videos in bed and on planes

smr
Dec 18, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

Holy poo poo this.

Wife and I both have tablets. I have a shield, and she has a Tab S 8.4. Trying to use her tablet drives me insane. It's even worse when I have to use her phone because she has all the TW stuff enabled and I have all of mine turned off (we both have an S6).

Well; that's discouraging; then again, I have no issues stripping out TW as much as is possible as soon as I get this thing. Assuming that, do things get better? Do you LIKE your S6 device (I believe the Tab S2's TW implementation is very similar to what was shipped on the S6) with all of the TW crap turned off?

I _had_ a Pixel-C sometime back and liked it but eventually sold it because typing a passphrase to get into it or to access 1Password every goddamned time instead of just mushing my thumb on a sensor eventually drove me insane.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

smr posted:

Well; that's discouraging; then again, I have no issues stripping out TW as much as is possible as soon as I get this thing. Assuming that, do things get better? Do you LIKE your S6 device (I believe the Tab S2's TW implementation is very similar to what was shipped on the S6) with all of the TW crap turned off?

I _had_ a Pixel-C sometime back and liked it but eventually sold it because typing a passphrase to get into it or to access 1Password every goddamned time instead of just mushing my thumb on a sensor eventually drove me insane.

With as much of the TW stuff turned off as I can manage, I'm ok with my S6. Battery life is poo poo, but that's why I have a PixelXL on the way. There are some TW bits that you just can't hide, but I've managed to accept them.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My wife's Xmas present (a Fire HD 8) is having battery issues. Last night she had had it on the charger all day and found it at 3%; tonight she came back to it and found it at 3% again after having reseated the cord.

I installed Ampere and Battery Monitor Widget, and both were showing bad signs. Ampere read straight 0s until it prompted me to switch to "pre-Lollipop measuring," at which point it started high and then trickled down to zero coming in. BMW was showing plugged-in-but-discharging and showing a 1000 mA battery size, instead of what's actually in it. I am hoping this is due to it running FireOS and not pure Android.

However, it was still not taking a charge. I powered it all the way down and back on again and now it's creeping back up. Anecdata suggests that needing to power down / reboot regularly is a legacy problem for Fires. Anyone run into this?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

delfin posted:

My wife's Xmas present (a Fire HD 8) is having battery issues. Last night she had had it on the charger all day and found it at 3%; tonight she came back to it and found it at 3% again after having reseated the cord.

I installed Ampere and Battery Monitor Widget, and both were showing bad signs. Ampere read straight 0s until it prompted me to switch to "pre-Lollipop measuring," at which point it started high and then trickled down to zero coming in. BMW was showing plugged-in-but-discharging and showing a 1000 mA battery size, instead of what's actually in it. I am hoping this is due to it running FireOS and not pure Android.

However, it was still not taking a charge. I powered it all the way down and back on again and now it's creeping back up. Anecdata suggests that needing to power down / reboot regularly is a legacy problem for Fires. Anyone run into this?

I can't speak to Fire Tablets specifically but being a consumerist gadget whore I can speak to the fact that a lot of devices are super, super picky about chargers and often will not charge or will charge very slowly, quicker than their drain with the wrong charger.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

http://computers.woot.com/offers/kindle-fire-hdx-7-32gb-4g-lte-tablet-1?ref=cp_cnt_wp_1_2

The 1st-gen Fire HDX 7 tablet seems like a decent substitute for a Nexus 7 2013, in terms of size/display/storage with a nice SoC upgrade (Snapdragon 800.) I'm gonna give one a shot, it looks like installing the Google Play Store is straightforward enough.

Three Olives posted:

I can't speak to Fire Tablets specifically but being a consumerist gadget whore I can speak to the fact that a lot of devices are super, super picky about chargers and often will not charge or will charge very slowly, quicker than their drain with the wrong charger.

This; I've historically seen issues with Sony & Apple devices being finicky about where they'll accept a charge from, although I don't really use those devices nowadays.

I've had issues with cheaper cables also fail to quickly charge a device; recently an Amazon HDX tablet really didn't want to charge until I tried a different cable. This was while connected to one of those Anker "smart" chargers that can otherwise charge anything at max rate.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The first rule of Windows -- when in doubt, full reboot it -- seems to have applied. Once I powered it all the way down and restarted, it charged normally. Still, good to know.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Atomizer posted:

http://computers.woot.com/offers/kindle-fire-hdx-7-32gb-4g-lte-tablet-1?ref=cp_cnt_wp_1_2

The 1st-gen Fire HDX 7 tablet seems like a decent substitute for a Nexus 7 2013, in terms of size/display/storage with a nice SoC upgrade (Snapdragon 800.) I'm gonna give one a shot, it looks like installing the Google Play Store is straightforward enough.

I was about to pull the trigger until I saw that Amazon abandoned this generation HDX 7" and 8.9" on FireOS 4, which I think is based off KitKat. I'm sure most of the apps in Amazon's store still support it, but I imagine you'd run into a lot of incompatibilities with new, desirable apps in the Google Play Store.

I haven't had an Android device since my Nexus 7 died. Are current apps on Play no longer supporting KitKat? As far as custom ROMs, I remember even the good ones like MIUI and Cyanogen being hacky and unreliable--still the case?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

but I imagine you'd run into a lot of incompatibilities with new, desirable apps in the Google Play Store.

You'd be surprised. Android is not like iOS many apps stay WAY backwards compatible. I have a pair of Honeycomb* (yes Honeycomb) tablets that still work with Youtube and Netflix/most other things I've thrown at them over the years. There is almost never anything exclusive to the most recent OS or even recent + 2 back. Personally when I've made Android apps (hobbyist apps) I aim for ICS since Android became a whole lot less of a mess at 4.

*HTC Flyer, Pantech Element. They have horrible battery life but are nearly indestructible tanks that work great for Netflix/Audio assuming you're cool waiting 120 seconds for them to boot and be able to load apps.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 13, 2017

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are there any good tablets with a decent processor and 3-4GB of ram?

Trying to find one in a cheap price range, that isn't too big. Was thinking for a 7 or 8 inch tablet with 3 gigs of ram and 2ghz cpu.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are there any good tablets with a decent processor and 3-4GB of ram?

Trying to find one in a cheap price range, that isn't too big. Was thinking for a 7 or 8 inch tablet with 3 gigs of ram and 2ghz cpu.

Smaller tablets are particularly neglected nowadays in favor of phablets and larger tablets. I'd keep storage and display quality in mind as criteria, and specific SoCs in mind rather than an arbitrary clock speed, but there don't seem to be a ton of tablets available with more than 2 GB of RAM. You'll generally get recommendations of the 2013 Nexus 7 and the Shield, and the Fire tabs are surprisingly good for the price. I posted about a Fire HDX from 2013 that I actually bought (http://computers.woot.com/offers/kindle-fire-hdx-7-32gb-4g-lte-tablet-1?ref=cp_cnt_wp_1_2) which checks all of your boxes except 3 GB RAM.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doesn't seem to be much love for the Samsung Tab S2 here... I picked one up cheap recently with a 64gb SD and it seems to tick a lot of boxes. I can't say I find the Samsung software gets in the way and Ive enjoyed the poo poo out of Baldur's Gate 2 and Shadowrun with it so far. Screen is really really nice and had plenty of battery life after watching films on a couple of 6 hour flights recently.

I may be in the minority but I also prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BurgerQuest posted:

Doesn't seem to be much love for the Samsung Tab S2 here... I picked one up cheap recently with a 64gb SD and it seems to tick a lot of boxes. I can't say I find the Samsung software gets in the way and Ive enjoyed the poo poo out of Baldur's Gate 2 and Shadowrun with it so far. Screen is really really nice and had plenty of battery life after watching films on a couple of 6 hour flights recently.

I may be in the minority but I also prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Samsung shits out so many phones and tablets that the only ones worth mentioning are the ones that explode

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True, I don't really pay much attention to them but this fit the bill for a sub 200usd tablet with good performance and the 8" form factor for me. Only gripe I really have is I don't see the point of having the two speakers at the bottom, and they're pretty weak on volume/quality.

This is the 2015 model but I couldn't see any reason to spring for the barely different CPU.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's worth it for the price you paid for it, but Samsung wanted >iPad prices for it initially which is just crazy.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Samsung shits out so many phones and tablets that the only ones worth mentioning are the ones that explode

This; there are so many random Android tablets I have a hard time remembering what's available so I usually just recommend the most well-known ones, and those are pretty old by now.

BurgerQuest posted:

True, I don't really pay much attention to them but this fit the bill for a sub 200usd tablet with good performance and the 8" form factor for me. Only gripe I really have is I don't see the point of having the two speakers at the bottom, and they're pretty weak on volume/quality.

This is the 2015 model but I couldn't see any reason to spring for the barely different CPU.

The Galaxy Tab S2 does look like a good recommendation due to those specs, but I don't see any available <$200. The current model seems to be the "Galaxy Tab A" and while they're also probably fine, the smaller sizes have lesser specs (like 1.5 GB of RAM), and the bigger ones are better but of course more expensive. I can't quite find a Galaxy tab that meets his requirements while being reasonably priced.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I picked it up second hand, I agree it's overpriced at retail for what it is, but I'd definitely think it holds its own against an iPad mini. Hard to imagine anyone but someone who already likes Samsung or loves android would pick it out of the two at RRP though.

Just wanted to throw it in the ring, and the build quality is superb. I also really like reading on it at night with burnt orange text on black, the OLED blacks really are outstanding here.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Does anyone know of a decent stylus for drawing on tablets? I have one of these.
http://www.lg.com/us/tablets/lg-VK700-Verizon-g-pad-10.1-lte

I have no idea what stylus will work best, or what drawing app is best. All I really need for a drawing app is the ability to use layers and import images into layers like in photoshop. I also only have a budget of $50, which limits my options.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BurgerQuest posted:

I picked it up second hand, I agree it's overpriced at retail for what it is, but I'd definitely think it holds its own against an iPad mini. Hard to imagine anyone but someone who already likes Samsung or loves android would pick it out of the two at RRP though.

Just wanted to throw it in the ring, and the build quality is superb. I also really like reading on it at night with burnt orange text on black, the OLED blacks really are outstanding here.

Samsungs are generally fine, but good luck playing Samsung Update Roulette as to whether or not it gets Nougat or higher. I have a couple Samsung KitKat tablets from a couple years ago that never got anything other than a few security updates. This is after they were advertised with "LOLLIPOP COMING SOON!" on the packaging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, if Samsung treated their tablets as well as their phones for updates, it would be easier to recommend them. But they very much seem to have the attitude of "what you buy is what you get" for them which is rather annoying.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
It was pointed that I should post here, hoping to get some Android tablet wisdom:

Can anyone recommend a Tablet? If this isn't the right thread, feel free to point me in the right direction.

Looking for a price of $200-400 bux, but can go up/down a little if warranted.

I have multiple PDFs that are over 2000 pages and 40mbs+ of airplane flight manuals, supplemental flight information and other military/FAA regs.

Priorities are in order:

1) Can search huge PDFs quickly.

2) Nice screen, preferably in a ratio that supports reading 8.5 x 11" papers

3) Anything over 6 hours battery life is fine, it will sit on a charger until needed to fly.

4) Will not be used for gaming/videos

Costco has a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" for $379 which was looking good until I read some mediocre reviews online. Costco also has a Galaxy Tab A but the screen looked a little small.

The Panasonic Tough tablets look good, but I'd like to see them in person first. Same with the Dells. Surface Pro 4s are a bit pricey for PDF reading.

Any suggestions/commentary?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

xaarman posted:

It was pointed that I should post here, hoping to get some Android tablet wisdom:

Priorities are in order:

1) Can search huge PDFs quickly.

2) Nice screen, preferably in a ratio that supports reading 8.5 x 11" papers

3) Anything over 6 hours battery life is fine, it will sit on a charger until needed to fly.

4) Will not be used for gaming/videos

Costco has a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" for $379 which was looking good until I read some mediocre reviews online. Costco also has a Galaxy Tab A but the screen looked a little small.

Any suggestions/commentary?

I can't specifically speak to the 9.7, but the 8" Samsung S2 is great; a lot of the poor reviews seem to be for the earlier version, but they were just refreshed with updated hardware about 6 months ago.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Coldforge posted:

I can't specifically speak to the 9.7, but the 8" Samsung S2 is great; a lot of the poor reviews seem to be for the earlier version, but they were just refreshed with updated hardware about 6 months ago.

What is the newer hardware? Costco has a history of stocking last model's stuff at a steep discount.

ps: go niners :(

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

xaarman posted:

What is the newer hardware? Costco has a history of stocking last model's stuff at a steep discount.

ps: go niners :(

The 2016 refresh has a Snapdragon processor, and comes with Android 6.0 out of the box.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

xaarman posted:

I have multiple PDFs that are over 2000 pages and 40mbs+ of airplane flight manuals, supplemental flight information and other military/FAA regs.

As much as I prefer Android, as a fellow pilot I have to say an iPad is probably a better idea. Should there be an accident, Ipads have been certified for that purpose and you're a lot less likely to have issues with the FAA saying the required documents were on an iPad than an Android tablet nobody has heard of.

When I fly I use an iPad with well known apps, so if there is a problem, I have some support from the community.

That being said, I've read lots of pdfs that size on Motorola Xoom from almost 10 years ago, so most modern tablets shouldnt have a problem doing that. My current preference is an Amazon Fire HD 8, which is a really cheap (but not perfect for everyone) option.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

It's this one:

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-Gala....100300033.html

Says 6.0 but doesn't say what kind of processor other than :

Processor:
1.8 GHz + 1.4 GHz Octa Core Processor
3GB RAM

Specs sheet says:

Qualcomm APQ8076 / 1.8GHz + 1.4 GHz Octa-Core 64 Bit which is Snapdragon.

Is 3GB and 1.8 GHZ enough for quick PDF searching?

Are Russians going to be tracking me with GLONASS?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah as far as as samsung tablets go, there is some dumb minor annoying bullshit when compared to the pure Android experience but people here are very hyperbolic about the negatives. The ones I owned were an absolute pleasure for their purpose and I have no major complaints personally. Most people fall in this category.

On that note I absolutely love my Zenpad S 8 despite very minor and rare hiccups because it's still an awesome little consumption device for $140. What I'm trying to say is that my tastes might not be the most discerning when it comes to tablets because media consumption (sans gaming) is something that most devices today can handle no prob.

It's actually a really neat emulation device too, though I think I prefer my Note 4 for that due to its smaller size.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

Does anyone know of a decent stylus for drawing on tablets? I have one of these.
http://www.lg.com/us/tablets/lg-VK700-Verizon-g-pad-10.1-lte

I have no idea what stylus will work best, or what drawing app is best. All I really need for a drawing app is the ability to use layers and import images into layers like in photoshop. I also only have a budget of $50, which limits my options.

A company called Adonit makes a "Jot" line of stylii that work on capacitive displays:

https://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Precision-Android-Samsung-Windows/dp/B00R33ZYCG/

They work well as general-purpose 3rd-party accessories but aren't going to be as fully-featured as a dedicated system, such as the Galaxy Note lines. The basic ones are cheap enough though, so you're not really in the hole for very much money if you don't like the way they work.

There are also some cheaper generic soft rubber/foam-tipped stylii that do work, but I don't like them as much because they tend to skid if you try to drag them across the surface of the display.

xaarman posted:

That's, um, that's not how satellite navigation works dude. :stare:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Atomizer posted:

A company called Adonit makes a "Jot" line of stylii that work on capacitive displays:

https://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Precision-Android-Samsung-Windows/dp/B00R33ZYCG/

They work well as general-purpose 3rd-party accessories but aren't going to be as fully-featured as a dedicated system, such as the Galaxy Note lines. The basic ones are cheap enough though, so you're not really in the hole for very much money if you don't like the way they work.

I used this for quite a while on an ipad before switching to my SP3. It works alright, certainly much better than the rubber nipple ones. My main issue with it was that the sound of the plastic disc tapping on the glass screen was very loud. I wouldn't use it in a small meeting

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xaarman posted:

It's this one:

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-Gala....100300033.html

Says 6.0 but doesn't say what kind of processor other than :

Processor:
1.8 GHz + 1.4 GHz Octa Core Processor
3GB RAM

Specs sheet says:

Qualcomm APQ8076 / 1.8GHz + 1.4 GHz Octa-Core 64 Bit which is Snapdragon.

Is 3GB and 1.8 GHZ enough for quick PDF searching?

It should be fine. From what I can tell most people who bitch about Samsung are never really satisfied with any manner of device. It should be perfectly fine for what you're doing with it.

The Russians are already probably tracking you, but not with GLONASS.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

It should be fine. From what I can tell most people who bitch about Samsung are never really satisfied with any manner of device. It should be perfectly fine for what you're doing with it.

The Russians are already probably tracking you, but not with GLONASS.

Recently got my used Samsung Tab S2 8". It's... fine. It's more than fine. The only quirk I really dislike is Samsung's stupid swapping of where the system soft buttons go. And how they light up every time you touch the device (fortunately, easily disabled by using an app to shut them off forever).

The screen is lovely, it's the only Android tablet worth poo poo that has a fingerprint reader, which is just non-negotiable for me when it comes to mobile devices now, it's plenty fast, hasn't choked on anything I've asked it to do yet...

Given what I paid for it used, I'm quite happy with it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xaarman posted:

Costco has a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" for $379 which was looking good until I read some mediocre reviews online. Costco also has a Galaxy Tab A but the screen looked a little small

I have one of these (pre-refresh version) and it's just fine as far as I'm concerned, lovely and light too. The pre-refresh ones come with Android 5 and are rootable (meaning you can remove all the Samsung crapware), the post-refresh ones with Android 6 and aren't, if that matters to you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Two things of note.

The Tab S2 has been confirmed by Samsung to get Nougat and apparently the Shield K1 is supposed to get Nougat in "a few weeks." The last one came from a CS rep, so take it with a grain of salt, but it would be nice if true. In fact, if true, I could see myself finally retiring my trusty Nexus 7 2013 in favor of a K1 since google doesn't seem to want to make a 7" Pixel tablet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 18, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody have a Fire HD 10 that can comment on the quality? It has a number of scathing reviews on Amazon, but a number of glowing reviews too.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The fire HD 8 is fine and I think they have similar hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looking for some options for my grand mother for a tablet. She has a fire tablet right now, but it's too small for her. I believe it's the 7" version. I'm trying to figure out if getting a 10" tablet would be best or some kind of set top+monitor solution.

Couple options I was looking at.
  • Galaxy View for $400 + some kind of mounting option(Can't find any though)
  • Android set top + monitor + monitor arm
  • 10 tablet, probably Fire, + tablet floor stand
  • Something else that I haven't thought of