Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Chicken posted:

The RCMP may have totally screwed the case up.

how could such a thing happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Also if this finally earns me a probie for trolling OSI deserves at least twice the sentence I get because gently caress man he took this thread from 'when is lethal force a reasonable response to a perceived imminent threat?' to 'OH YA WOULD YOU SHOOT A 10 YEAR OLD COOKIE THEIF!?!' and if not for that I wouldn't have even remembered that crazy north end kid and I just couldn't loving help myself at that point. So much for my new years resolution. drat. I'm going to bed.

so much for my new years resolution to be not completely owned by a puppet master!11!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but should you be allowed to shoot a Finance Minister who comes to steal your defined benefit pension?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

sliderule posted:

Yeah but should you be allowed to shoot a Finance Minister who comes to steal your defined benefit pension?

Man if only I'd thought of that when Joe Oliver came to that door that one time to steal my cookies along with a 10 year old OSI bean dip.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
LOL if you couldn't find a dozen reasons to shoot Joe Oliver.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
The cookies were Dare too.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I just signed up for Kellie's email list, I'm missing some good absurdity. I don't think I've ever seen anything this tone deaf, Ottawa people love the canal. And we already drain it all the time. It's drained right now so that people can skate on it. It's a world heritage and national historic site.

https://twitter.com/metroottawa/status/818238679202271233

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Drain the swamp canal.

I hope O'Leary wins

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A swamp also usually has negative associations. The idea is that you drain it and are left with land you can walk on, build on, live on. When you drain a canal, the point is to be left with... a ditch?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
draining both does nothing to actually get rid of any of the muck

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Draining swampland has left large swathes of the continent completely devoid of natural overland flooding regulators which is part of the reason why flooding is so catastrophic in the flatlands when the dykes fail. Too bad conservatives are so bad at conservation or they'd know these things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Between this and Trump's "Meryl Streep is a talentless oval office because she dared to criticize me for mocking a disabled person," I really have to wonder who is the audience for these people. What sort of broken-rear end person finds this rhetoric appealing?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Millions of Americans Canadians, friend!

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Is Kellie Leitch going to start attacking Canadian celebs on Twitter now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

brucio posted:

Is Kellie Leitch going to start attacking Canadian celebs on Twitter now

Probably not, because she's dull as dishwater and hasn't spent the last 30 years enthusiastically playing a bombastic billionaire pitchman for the American public.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Kellie Leitch Launches Twitter Storm On Sarah Polley After Genie Awards Speech

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is a Make Canada Great Again campaign even possible for Conservatives? The only choices for eras to return to are Harper, Mulroney, or Diefenbaker.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Between this and Trump's "Meryl Streep is a talentless oval office because she dared to criticize me for mocking a disabled person," I really have to wonder who is the audience for these people. What sort of broken-rear end person finds this rhetoric appealing?

I like Trump, it's hard to articulate why but my inner antiestablishmentarian loves a huge underdog who poo poo posted his way to the white house without trying to be someone he's not. Trump is Trump because he's so different than all the other career politicians. Copying Trump really makes you the anti-Trump. She's awful, 0/10.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I like Trump, it's hard to articulate why but my inner antiestablishmentarian loves a huge underdog who poo poo posted his way to the white house without trying to be someone he's not. Trump is Trump because he's so different than all the other career politicians.

What's not to like about the idea of burning the American political establishment to the ground? You know, along with the entire government apparatus, social services, and the economy.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

infernal machines posted:

What's not to like about the idea of burning the American political establishment to the ground? You know, along with the entire government apparatus, social services, and the economy.

And millions of Americans will cheer this on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
2017 would be the best year ever if on Jan 20 Trump stood in front of thousands of Americans and told them all 'lol you don't remember me saying I'd run as a republican because republicans are gullible like 20 years ago?' and then end up being an actual good world leader, except that's not going to happen because the Republicans hold the majority in every level of government and I fear Trump is actually starting to believe that his true self really is the caricature he's been portraying for the past several years.

EDIT: He's also appointed some of the most FYGM editorial cartoon Republicans to fill his cabinet so unless 2017 proves to be the weirdest year in the history of our species he's not going to be standing up on capitol hill pulling his toupee off and going 'Surprise I was a leftist the entire time!'

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 9, 2017

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Kouvalis is really earning all those puff pieces MacLeans keeps publishing about him.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Lobok posted:

Is a Make Canada Great Again campaign even possible for Conservatives? The only choices for eras to return to are Harper, Mulroney, or Diefenbaker.

If you actually paid attention to Steven Harper's writings and speeches then he was essentially trying to "make Canada Great Again" by returning it to what he saw as it's Anglo roots. For Haper, as for a lot of Conservatives, the Trudeau Sr. era was a sort of disastrous mutilation of our existing constitutional system. Traditional symbols or Canadian identity such as the flag, the anthem and the armed forces were all changed, the immigration system was reworked to bring in more people from outside the Commonwealth, multiculturalism was championed as a governing philosophy and Canada reoriented its foreign policy around "peacekeeping" activities rather than warfighting. This culminated in the development of a constitution that Harper and many other conservatives despise and which they view as a conduit for special interests to extract concessions from the government. Surprise surprise, the use of the spending power to expand the scope of the federal government and to provision social services isn't popular with them either.

Harper's attempts to remove the eyes and hands of the government (by cancelling the census, muffling civil servants, cutting back on science research, etc.) and his attempts to remove revenue sources that would be hard to replace, as well as some of his cultural policies like celebrating the war of 1812 and trying to reorient our official history around more militaristic and anglo-centric narratives, were all understated ways of restoring a pre-Trudeau sense of Canadian patriotism. He also hoped to destroy or cripple the Liberal party itself and replace it with the much more beatable NDP, which he thought would transform the Conservatives into the natural governing party of the country, thus setting the stage for a gradual chipping away at the federal government that the Liberal party crafted in the post-war era.

So Canadian conservatism doesn't so much look backward toward one leader or administration, it's more about a vaguely defined sense of a lost pre-multicultural Canada that was small government, staunchly pro-British and enthusiastic about supporting British or American military ventures.

The thing is there just doesn't seem to be a critical mass of ordinary people lusting for this return to a country most of us are too young to remember. So while people could vaguely pick up on how Harper didn't seem to like Canada as it existed (he didn't) I don't think very many people ever got a strong sense of what his alternative vision of Canada was. Harper was sort of the anti-Trump in that he was a very reserved and private individual who preferred to work behind the scenes so you mostly have to go back to stuff he wrote or said in the 1990s or very early 2000s to get a sense of what he wanted to do.

EvilJoven posted:

2017 would be the best year ever if on Jan 20 Trump stood in front of thousands of Americans and told them all 'lol you don't remember me saying I'd run as a republican because republicans are gullible like 20 years ago?' and then end up being an actual good world leader, except that's not going to happen because the Republicans hold the majority in every level of government and I fear Trump is actually starting to believe that his true self really is the caricature he's been portraying for the past several years.

I think that's one of those fake quotes he never actually said.

Also I'm not sure people appreciate that the American establishment is gearing up for a major showdown with Trump as we speak. If Clinton had won then the GOP would have used congressional investigations into her e-mails and the Clinton Foundation to try and tie up her administration and to de-legitimatize her presidency. Now that Trump in unexpectedly in office the Democrats, large elements of the intelligence and security services, and probably a good chunk of the GOP are going to use investigations into Russia and the supposed election hacks to control Trump or at least to limit his options.

If Trump just behaves as a crude and idiosyncratic Republican then this might not play out but if Trump decides to really shake things up and pursues too many unorthodox policies (such as his plans to shake up the CIA or his stated intention to develop better relations with Russia) then it would not surprise me if he ends up embroiled in a Watergate level corruption scandal brought on by vengeful elements of the American deep state. Brazil's recent ouster of its President gives us an example of how a modern day coup can be pulled off with legislative means if enough legislators feel it's in their interests to remove the sitting head of state. I wouldn't rule out the American establishment doing something like that if Trump turns out to be as radical as some people fear he is. Of course given Trump isn't seemingly anchored by any kind of strong ideology he may just adjust to realities in Washington and opt not to rock the boat too much.

My point here being: if Trump does prove to be as disruptive as some people expect then it will likely trigger a lot of domestic blowback and we might get front row seats to an American government at war with itself (using legal and administration tools rather than bullets or bombs), something that has been almost unheard of for a very long time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

I think that's one of those fake quotes he never actually said.

You're absolutely right but it's something that still comes up from time to time. At best Trump is directly quoted as supporting a lot of traditionally Democratic policies, but who knows what's actually going on in that guy's head.

My bet is something along the lines of 'Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo I actually loving won and now I'm going to be president gently caress ME".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I honestly think he's too in love with himself to have the capacity for any level of self-doubt.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I mean, he's loving quoted as supporting universal health care and still managed to pull this poo poo off.

dont_h8_eviscerate
Jan 9, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
trump scares me, but group socio-political dynamics in canada are built off the british system and heavily imperialist and theocratic and that also scares me. this is also somewhat of a memetically inherited liberal trait as well in established pockets of liberal canada. it infects the average canadian mind especially when dealing with how they approach interacting with traditional social hierarchies like the punitive justice system. erring on the side of manipulating the legal system by omitting rigorous objective fact checking, using emotional charlatanry, or narrativizing of stories, etc, is anti-feminist and radicalized islamic extremist poo poo.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Yeah I mean we'll hold off on giving this one the nobel peace prize right off the bat but I remain cautiously optimistic.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Yeah I mean we'll hold off on giving this one the nobel peace prize right off the bat but I remain cautiously optimistic.

GLO-BAL

<CLAP-CLAP>

ECO

<CLAP-CLAP>

NOMIC

<CLAP-CLAP>

DEPRESSION

<CLAP-CLAP-CLAP>

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Drain the canal, wallow in the mud ditch!

Nice post there Helsing, some interesting points I hadn't considered.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Rideau Canal is probably disgusting if you drain it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The point of saying "drain the canal" is literally just to get people to talk about her and sucking up the oxygen for any other candidates. More ink has been spilled about nuances in Leitch's messaging than, say, all of Michael Chong's policy proposals (a carbon tax! doubling WITB! there's a lot there) put together.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
All canals are. It's a universal thing. Even the canals on mars are probably filled with shopping carts stolen bikes and tires and only because as soon as you call something a canal it automatically gets filled with shopping carts stolen bikes and tires.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Helsing posted:

cultural policies like celebrating the war of 1812 and trying to reorient our official history around more militaristic and anglo-centric narratives

I always thought this was hilarious, because the French militia units put in a far more impressive performance than their Anglo counterparts in Upper Canada.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Uhhh lol

quote:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his family spent their Bahamas vacation on a private island belonging to the Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, Trudeau's office confirmed Friday.

A spokesman for the prime minister said in a statement that Trudeau, his family and a few friends were invited to join the Aga Khan on Bell Island for the holidays.

"As you are aware, his Highness and the Prime Minister have been close family friends for many years. As is the usual course, the Prime Minister will be reimbursing the costs of his (and his family’s) flights to and from Nassau. No friends were on the Challenger," Cameron Ahmad wrote in an email.

The Aga Khan was an honorary pallbearer at the funeral of Trudeau’s father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau.

The Aga Khan is the hereditary leader to the world's 12 to 15 million Ismaili Muslim population, with a profile among his followers similar to that of a pope among Catholics.

He's also one of the world's wealthiest royals, according to a 2010 Forbes magazine list.

The Aga Khan founded one of the world's biggest international development organizations, the Aga Khan Development Network. The organization works in 30 countries around the world. The federal government provides tens of millions of dollars in funding to the Aga Khan Foundation of Canada every year.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:freep:/ Trudeau isn't a Catholic, he's a Muslim!!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

World leader interacts with person of global importance.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If he's paying it back who gives a poo poo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

:freep:/ Trudeau isn't a Catholic, he's a Muslim!!

The muslim son of fidel castro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

If he's paying it back who gives a poo poo

I'm fine with the whole capitalism and hereditary wealth thing so I admit I'm flat out concern trolling here but shouldn't progressives or working class get rubbed a touch the wrong way when the PM tweets 'In 2017, and beyond, our government will take further steps to help the middle class and those working hard to join it' probably from the deck of a 150 foot yacht just off shore from a private bahaman island all owned by an ultra rich giant cult leader that PM Dressup recently described as 'He has shown time and time again that no matter our faith, where we were born, what colour is our skin, or what language we speak, we are equal members of this world.'

Oh hey no I'm not just concern trolling, I feel a little annoyed, is this what gaslighting means? You can really say "we're all equal" from the helipad on your yacht and the plebs will be like "World leader interacts with person of global importance, how is this news" as long as you've recently declared yourself a feminist or something.