Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Do you think there's some solder under all that cum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

A shame that PS1 flashcart is haivng trouble due to drama, because I found my component cables I got for the PS2. Granted it one of those multiple system cables that also have a Wii (shame it not Gamecube) and Xbox Original cords.

Unless I'm understanding you wrong those won't work on an actual PS1, those give you the options of either rgb scart or s-video.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I just got my SCART cable for the aul Gamecube and wow it's a real improvement, everything looks nice and sharp compared to composite

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

flyboi posted:

That happens at times with mine although I run mine through a matrix switch and it sometimes can't get EDID from my TV which causes it to be wonky. Unplugging and power cycling the switch usually sorts it out though.

Interesting. I'm running a banbridge non-powered switch so I'm wondering if that might be the issue. I'll mess around a bit with power cycling.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

TheRedEye posted:

That Jaleco multicart would be cool if it didn't use the same "launch-era NES black box design except worse" layout as every other retro video game product released in the last 20 years. Like, Jaleco had an aesthetic on the NES, and it looked cool. White backgrounds with blue text and stuff. Do that!

Agreed. They also could've ripped off my cover and I wouldn't mind

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Monitor Burn posted:

Any recommendations on where to pick up a PAL gamecube in the US?

Nope. I just posted a WTB ad on NintendoAge and got lucky that someone stumbled into one that they had no use for, they sold it to me for like $20. This was also a bit before people generally knew about this method for getting RGB, so they might actually be in demand now...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So, I just got an Everdrive N8. I think I'm gonna try and solder a 47k resistor to my NES to open up expansion audio for FDS games, Akumajo Densetsu, Mr. Gimmick, etc.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/open-hidden-sound-channels-in-nes.html

Has anyone tried this? A friend of mine said something like it broke compatibility with some games like Crash Test Dummies or some poo poo. What should I know before I do this?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

So, I just got an Everdrive N8. I think I'm gonna try and solder a 47k resistor to my NES to open up expansion audio for FDS games, Akumajo Densetsu, Mr. Gimmick, etc.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/open-hidden-sound-channels-in-nes.html

Has anyone tried this? A friend of mine said something like it broke compatibility with some games like Crash Test Dummies or some poo poo. What should I know before I do this?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't break compatibility in anything, actually, all you're doing is bridging a sound channel so it has a path, it doesn't mess with anything about how the game actually "runs" at all (the sound is always playing, it just has a volume of 0 until you connect it that way).

This is the easiest solder job and really doesn't even need solder, you can just tape it down and it'll work because the contact points are so huge.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

univbee posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't break compatibility in anything, actually, all you're doing is bridging a sound channel so it has a path, it doesn't mess with anything about how the game actually "runs" at all (the sound is always playing, it just has a volume of 0 until you connect it that way).

This is the easiest solder job and really doesn't even need solder, you can just tape it down and it'll work because the contact points are so huge.

Sweet! 47k is the sweet spot I want, right?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sweet! 47k is the sweet spot I want, right?

It's around there, although if you can prefer you can get a potentiometer instead and dial it in, using a video from a console feed as a guide.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Everdrive N8 handles expansion audio poorly even if you have an AV Famicom, and it's downright terribad for FDS games. I have a patched version of Gimmick and I still don't get all the expansion audio because N8 doesn't support all the necessary mappers.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TeaJay posted:

The Everdrive N8 handles expansion audio poorly even if you have an AV Famicom, and it's downright terribad for FDS games. I have a patched version of Gimmick and I still don't get all the expansion audio because N8 doesn't support all the necessary mappers.

While I agree that FDS audio awful the rest of the supported expansion sound seems fine to me.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

TeaJay posted:

You can install unofficial mappers to get Sunsoft 5B and Konami VRC6 working on the Everdrive N8. Still no way to get VRC7 working unless you have a Hi-Def NES though:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3245.msg32176#msg32176
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3391.msg32231#msg32231

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Monitor Burn posted:

You can install unofficial mappers to get Sunsoft 5B and Konami VRC6 working on the Everdrive N8. Still no way to get VRC7 working unless you have a Hi-Def NES though:

Oh, that's really cool, I gotta try that. So just replace the files on the N8 data folder with those ones?

e: Working Sunsoft mapper link on the last page

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 9, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monitor Burn posted:

Nice.

Djarum posted:

While I agree that FDS audio awful the rest of the supported expansion sound seems fine to me.

Well, even if the FDS audio sounds like butt, it's still probably worth it to do it because it'd rather have crappy sound than have it not play entire channels I guess

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Rirse posted:

A shame that PS1 flashcart is haivng trouble due to drama, because I found my component cables I got for the PS2. Granted it one of those multiple system cables that also have a Wii (shame it not Gamecube) and Xbox Original cords.

I've been following the PS-IO drama since I have one and it seems to have died down. Last I checked the guy who built the firmware had given the encryption keys to the other guy, so work could continue on it without having to start from scratch. As it is, it is still a neat piece of kit that plays a lot of games quite well. I'm pretty happy with it, as unlike the Saturn and Dreamcast equivalents it isn't a drive replacement, so you can still use disks for the games that have compatibility issues.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, even if the FDS audio sounds like butt, it's still probably worth it to do it because it'd rather have crappy sound than have it not play entire channels I guess

If you want to do FDS you are much, much better off getting a FDS RAM cart cheap and a FDSstick.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Djarum posted:

If you want to do FDS you are much, much better off getting a FDS RAM cart cheap and a FDSstick.

I haven't ever heard of these before. Do they work in the old toaster NES?

I friend of mine has an actual FDS and I think it's really neat, but I don't need to have a real one.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Technically, yes, an FDS can work in a toaster... but you'd need both a Famicom to NES adapter that doesn't skimp on any pins, and something to extend into the toaster itself that also doesn't skimp on any pins, IIRC. And even then, it'll be a tad unwieldy.

Or at least, I think that's what's required. I haven't tried this myself.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Technically, yes, an FDS can work in a toaster... but you'd need both a Famicom to NES adapter that doesn't skimp on any pins, and something to extend into the toaster itself that also doesn't skimp on any pins, IIRC. And even then, it'll be a tad unwieldy.

And this is exactly the reason I imported an AV famicom. Got the Famicom form factor Everdrive N8 and a US cart adapter, then did the mod that makes zappers work.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Or at least, I think that's what's required. I haven't tried this myself.

If I were going to do that, I would be better off just getting an AV famicom.

The reason why I'm using an everdrive N8 and modding the NES I've had since childhood is because I'm a cheapass.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
On the topic of the FDS, can I just send my god drat twin fami to someone to do a belt replacement and calibration because I am too fat fingered and impatient

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
How stupid of an idea is it to get an entirely new and expensive system just to play a couple of exclusive games?

Related, anyone know how advanced/practical FM Towns emulation is?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Charles Get-Out posted:

Related, anyone know how advanced/practical FM Towns emulation is?

Look up UNZ. Unless things have changed in the last few years, it is the best.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
UNZ worked pretty well for me a few years ago, but I didn't play much beyond Glodia RPGs and a shooter or two.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, I soldered that resistor on and it worked! It might not be perfect or AV-fami quality, but hey, it was free.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Gonna post again in hopes that someone can help me with my Framemeister. Basically, I can't get audio to play through the low input lag hdmi port on my Vizio. Plugging the FM into the other hdmi ports work fine. The only thing that I can think of is I had my PC hooked up on that low-lag input over DVI with Audio piped through SPDIF so I'm wondering if the TV is expecting audio over some other channel that the FM is doesn't have. I went through all the audio settings on the tv and FM and nothing works. I even messed with the EDID settings on the FM. Is there some sort of setting to get the FM and TV to re-handshake for the HDMI stuff? It's bizarre because my other consoles and PC work fine on the low-input port, The FM works fine on any other input, its just the FM that won't send out audio on the port that I want since all the other inputs introduce noticeable lag. I ordered an HDMI switch since I needed one anyway to have everything on the good input, but if the switcher is just gonna pass through I'm worried it won't correct the issue.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

SnatchRabbit posted:

Gonna post again in hopes that someone can help me with my Framemeister. Basically, I can't get audio to play through the low input lag hdmi port on my Vizio. Plugging the FM into the other hdmi ports work fine. The only thing that I can think of is I had my PC hooked up on that low-lag input over DVI with Audio piped through SPDIF so I'm wondering if the TV is expecting audio over some other channel that the FM is doesn't have. I went through all the audio settings on the tv and FM and nothing works. I even messed with the EDID settings on the FM. Is there some sort of setting to get the FM and TV to re-handshake for the HDMI stuff? It's bizarre because my other consoles and PC work fine on the low-input port, The FM works fine on any other input, its just the FM that won't send out audio on the port that I want since all the other inputs introduce noticeable lag. I ordered an HDMI switch since I needed one anyway to have everything on the good input, but if the switcher is just gonna pass through I'm worried it won't correct the issue.

Do you have another TV with a low-input port that you can try the framemeister on? Might help you narrow down if it's an issue with your TV or the Framemeister itself.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

mariooncrack posted:

Do you have another TV with a low-input port that you can try the framemeister on? Might help you narrow down if it's an issue with your TV or the Framemeister itself.

No the gaming TV is the only one that's built with the last 8 years or so. The FM was working perfectly before I switched the inputs for the PC.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I've just done my inventory of arcade boards to discover that my CPS2 motherboard has finally given up the ghost (it was damaged by the previous operator and didn't do sound properly). I was going to replace it and give marvel superheroes some love but I see that CPS2 games and motherboards have gone right up in price lately. After some quick research I find out that since September last year you can easily de-suicide CPS2 boards yourself without a Phoenix hackjob. Great for those stacks of old games with dead batteries but not so much for diligent battery replacing people like me. I should have replaced that motherboard when I had the far cheaper chance in 2015.

At least my Mortal Kombat 2 still works awesomely. I really got to get a dedicated cabinet for that one.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

krursk posted:

I've just done my inventory of arcade boards to discover that my CPS2 motherboard has finally given up the ghost (it was damaged by the previous operator and didn't do sound properly). I was going to replace it and give marvel superheroes some love but I see that CPS2 games and motherboards have gone right up in price lately. After some quick research I find out that since September last year you can easily de-suicide CPS2 boards yourself without a Phoenix hackjob. Great for those stacks of old games with dead batteries but not so much for diligent battery replacing people like me. I should have replaced that motherboard when I had the far cheaper chance in 2015.

At least my Mortal Kombat 2 still works awesomely. I really got to get a dedicated cabinet for that one.

Looking up the process, I wouldn't say it's necessary easily done. Definitely looks easier and less invasive than Pheonixing the boards, but it still needs a bunch of hardware to get going. I'm heavy into Arduino and Raspberry Pi stuff, and it still looks like it would cost me somewhere between $10 and $40 depending on board revision.

Has anyone done this yet?

https://github.com/ArcadeHacker/ArcadeHacker_CPS2/blob/master/Capcom%20CPS2%20Security%20Programming%20Guide.pdf

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Thanks for the suggestions on UNZ. Took me a bit to set up properly, but it seems to be working now despite some hiccups with CD emulators no longer supporting analog audio maybe?

Those all-in-one Macintosh looking FM Towns computers are still sexy as heck, but it would definitely cost a ton and I'm positive any attainable unit would take quite a bit of overhaul.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Daemon tools is sadly the one CD emulator that can do Redbook Audio. You can always burn the iso+wav or whatever else you have to a real CD though.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Does it still? There are quite a few posts saying that Daemon Tools removed the feature a bit ago and there was no option for enabling analog audio in the version I tried. Windows doesn't seem to like the version that supposedly last had the option.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, if they removed it then you're kinda hosed. I haven't kept up with Daemon Tools since they started baking gross poo poo into their versions that worked on Windows Vista+.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SnatchRabbit posted:

Some tvs let you choose what audio source you want to use. Make sure it's set properly. For instance, I can tell my TV to have HDMI input 2 use the audio from composite input 7.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Charles Get-Out posted:

Those all-in-one Macintosh looking FM Towns computers are still sexy as heck, but it would definitely cost a ton and I'm positive any attainable unit would take quite a bit of overhaul.
I always thought it looked more like a IBM PS/2 Model 25. The tower with the vertical CD drive is what I always wanted or the FM Towns II laptop that also ran Win3.1. But I had a Marty for a bit and that scratched the itch.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

Daemon tools is sadly the one CD emulator that can do Redbook Audio. You can always burn the iso+wav or whatever else you have to a real CD though.

Where did you get this idea? I use PowerISO and it handles mixed-mode CD images just fine - for instance, it'll have the CD audio play from a Quake for PC image.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
Any advice on a product for a RGB snes to BNC adapter? I see a bunch listed on eBay, and don't know if I'll need a sync stripper. I ordered a Sony PVM-20M2MDU because gently caress money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

fishmech posted:

Where did you get this idea? I use PowerISO and it handles mixed-mode CD images just fine - for instance, it'll have the CD audio play from a Quake for PC image.

From me trying like 30 iso mounting programs, including poweriso, a couple of months ago for SSF and finding that just burning the drat iso worked better.

• Locked thread