Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Thank god that horrid Lost Boy song is in the list. gently caress that song.

Me Too was definitely worse than a third of that list though

I hated Lost Boy before I saw the video, and it's just, I get that the era of good music videos is basically over now that people don't give a poo poo about music videos, but yeah, just stare unblinkingly into the camera in a tight closeup, great idea. Not that there really could be a good concept for that video, but, what the gently caress.

But I'm on the same page on Me Too as Zedd, it's either the worst thing ever or it's legitimately good and I have no idea which.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

You know, I always just switched to another station whenever Lost Boy came on the radio because it's boring as poo poo, but goddamn I didn't realize the lyrics were that bad.

"Peter Pan, Tinkerbell, Wendy Darling/even Captain Hook, you are my perfect story book"

Sweet Jesus, that's abhorrent.

EDIT: also hey, Rap Critic put out his 2016 worst lyrics video today too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjn_oqHSC4

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

It's weird for me to listen to that list because I don't listen to Tressteral radio any more so I have no idea what's popular in music.

Todd is right about Mcakelmore though.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Wow, that Machine Gun Kelly song posted before was kinda mean. What happened between that and Bad Things?

Some quick comments:

You mean that Lost Boy song gets a free pass while 'Million Reasons' has to claw and scrape its way onto the airwaves because radio stations think Lady Gaga is "radio poison"? Bull and poo poo. 'Million Reasons' may not be Lady Gaga's most interesting song, but it's much better than Ruth B's pile of soggy rubbish. (I assume the 'B' stands for 'boring'). JOANNE is such an underrated album.

I'm not annoyed at 'Juju On Dat Beat' like I was with 'Watch Me' and 'Hit the Quan'. It comes across like a couple of dopey kids loving around trolling people.

The Chainsmokers suck and are not fit to criticise Lady Gaga. Anyone who puts out garbage like 'Selfie' shouldn't be allowed to criticise anyone.

God, that Gnash song is boring. A combination of Ruth B's white (OK, black) girl at piano boringness and a mediocre white rapper. Give me Macklemore any day of the week.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Sarcopenia posted:

Can people please stop with the whole replacing O with Ø thing. It is incredibly lame to look at when you know how it's pronounced.

Do people aside from 21 pilots fans actually do it?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can't believe "Run away with me" is Todd's top 1 pop song. jk

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Am I the only one who vastly prefers both Todd's and Rap Critic's best of lists every year?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tired Moritz posted:

I can't believe "Run away with me" is Todd's top 1 pop song. jk
It was a honorable mention on his best list last year but was not eligible anyway, It's a goddamn amazing song though. (Emotion and Emotion B sides in general are great)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Am I the only one who vastly prefers both Todd's and Rap Critic's best of lists every year?

I think it's that positivity is just generally refreshing to hear. At least in a "genre" where negativity is the norm.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You know, I've always been meaning to listen to Rap Critic's stuff but haven't. Maybe this is the year I finally do it. While I'm at it, are there any other music critics worth listening to?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know, I've always been meaning to listen to Rap Critic's stuff but haven't. Maybe this is the year I finally do it. While I'm at it, are there any other music critics worth listening to?

no

music criticism/journalism is a never-ending pit of misery and self-indulgence.

just stick with Todd (dunno about rap critic), at least he tells jokes

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I discovered Spectrum Pulse through YouTube recommendations a week or two ago, and his best of lists for this year have turned me on to some pretty good stuff. I'm not as into his more regular stuff where he goes over the hot 100 week by week, because those are more jokey and that's not his strength, but he's pretty alright.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

I really like hearing Todd talk about stuff he likes, too. (Can't say anything about RC, as I haven't watched him in a while.) I'd love it if he could do more positive or even neutral eps; I think that variation is what makes his OHW series as good as it is.

Sadly, negativity seems to get more hits, so I can't blame anyone for going with near-constant panning.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

I Before E posted:

I discovered Spectrum Pulse through YouTube recommendations a week or two ago, and his best of lists for this year have turned me on to some pretty good stuff. I'm not as into his more regular stuff where he goes over the hot 100 week by week, because those are more jokey and that's not his strength, but he's pretty alright.

Mark's all right, but I kinda went off him a bit when he reviewed Lady Gaga's latest album and dumped on it due to some garbled nonsense about how if a pop star makes country it has to have a point or something like that. Plus, he completely missed the point of A-YO (on Billboard Breakdown): the song's about haters, not hate-sex, it was inspired by Mark Ronson's DJing days. I think he was upset because Kesha has made some countryish pop songs and she's being restricted by Dr. Luke being an abusive dick, so he kinda took out that annoyance on Lady Gaga a bit.

Either way, I don't hate the guy. He got me into CHVRCHES, I keep up with Billboard Breakdown and at the very least he hasn't created any memes making GBS threads on Lady Gaga for being a 'flop' (looking at you, Marc Mues), so he's got that going for him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know, I've always been meaning to listen to Rap Critic's stuff but haven't. Maybe this is the year I finally do it.

Rap Critic is basically always cool in my book for stoking my interest in To Pimp A Butterfly and Because the Internet. I didn't even know Donglover was doing music until he covered Sweatpants and 3005.

EDIT: Also, Big K.R.I.T.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 10, 2017

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

MiddleOne posted:

Rap Critic is basically always cool in my book for stoking my interest in To Pimp A Butterfly and Because the Internet. I didn't even know Donglover was doing music until he covered Sweatpants and 3005.

EDIT: Also, Big K.R.I.T.

I mainly watch Rap Critic for his Worst Lyrics lists. He put out his Worst Lyrics of 2016 list recently, which is worth a watch, especially for his takedown of B.O.B.'s song 'Flatline', a.k.a. the song that got attention due to B.O.B. going on about flat earth stuff on Twitter around the time it was released. There isn't any flat earth stuff in the song, but there sure is conspiracy theory stuff, including lizard people and Illuminati, as well as anti-Semitism. (Well, implied anti-Semitism, but it's there).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Rap Critic, did he ever cover Lil Dicky and/or Professional Rapper? I haven't really paid attention to rap since the 80's or so but I've seen people losing their minds over it being so good/bad/offensive/whatever, and I like what I've seen of RC enough to put some weight in his views on stuff.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Speaking of Rap Critic, did he ever cover Lil Dicky and/or Professional Rapper? I haven't really paid attention to rap since the 80's or so but I've seen people losing their minds over it being so good/bad/offensive/whatever, and I like what I've seen of RC enough to put some weight in his views on stuff.

I don't think he has but it would be interesting for him to tackle. Lil Dicky represents the worst of mainstream rap and the internet today. That this upper middle class rear end in a top hat can get famous off of belittling the innovators of rap and hip-hop and make a career off of "BUT WHAT ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE :qq:" pisses me off to no end.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I really dig Rap Critic, dude knows his stuff and even when he's being negative he takes the time to explain and explore his position in an informative and entertaining way. That breakdown of how terrible Flatline is was amazing.

Mues on the other hand is hot garbage, dude has a terminal case of Internet Reviewer-itis and seems like a genuinely unpleasant dude from his videos.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I remember watching a Dose of Buckley video for a worst whatever songs of whichever year cause it came up in my recommendations for some reason and I don't know if it was a schtick video or something but it was absolute trash

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was looking around and saw that Rap Critic and Mues do a podcast called Goin' Off. Anyone here listen to that?

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking around and saw that Rap Critic and Mues do a podcast called Goin' Off. Anyone here listen to that?

Nope! I'm not listening to anyone who makes misogynist memes about Lady Gaga being a 'flop'. I know Perfect Illusion underperformed compared to Born This Way spending six weeks at #1, but I'm fairly sure LG gets more hate thrown her way because she tried to be more intellectually ambitious in explaining her work back at her peak popularity and she's much more uncool compared to her peers, so let's all laugh at Lady Gaga for being a flop ha ha ARTFLOP Perfect Floplusion Flopfect flopflopflop get out of my face with that poo poo. It's even worse when other reviewers deem it A-OK to contribute to that meme themselves. Looking at you, TheDoubleAgent. I yelled at him on YouTube about this last month, I was so angry about it.

Sorry. I care an awful lot about feminism and Lady Gaga.

(I also have a personal reason to dislike Mues. A few years ago, I tried to be nice to him about him not using misogynist words, and he thought I was being rude and responded accordingly. Then some of his meathead fans decided to join the dogpile as well. I've blocked most of it out).

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Rap Critic is really bad and from what I can tell he makes videos for people who don't like or listen to hip hop. I've seen some of his videos and heard a few episodes of his podcast and he knows shockingly little about hip hop outside the tiny bubble of artists he listens to, and his metrics for what constitute good rapping are extremely narrow and suspect. Don't trust anyone whose idea of good rap music is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MitZ-C0tgQ

Watch Dead End Hip Hop instead. They actually know what they're talking about and are funnier to boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yntBVFAU6Sg

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I came back to post DEHH, too. Those dudes run the gamut of the rap and hip-hop spectrum and Myke C-Town has real good music tastes in other genres, too. I recommend his solo channel as well.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Alaois posted:

I remember watching a Dose of Buckley video for a worst whatever songs of whichever year cause it came up in my recommendations for some reason and I don't know if it was a schtick video or something but it was absolute trash

I usually enjoy Buckley videos but any of them about music are almost exclusively guaranteed to be spergey rear end nitpicky nonsense. His usual rant ones or advice episodes are decent provided you aren't a wingnut of either variety and also pay attention to the video.

The guy isn't the greatest but he is worth a view every week. Again, excepting his music stuff which is dire. (And this coming from someone who utterly loathes that 90s song with LOVE ME LOVE ME SAY THAT YOU LOVE ME because of the lyrics and how infuriating it is. Because it just offends me on all levels. The closest today is that song about never growing older and tattoo shoulders and stolen mattresses. )

Course maybe music is just the subjective thing in entertainment with even more partisanship than even Videogames. Just because I can enjoy some Wu Tang, GWAR, Genesis, and the Frozen soundtrack in my car doesn't mean most people will. poo poo reviewer/analyst types! There is a video to do. Music and why people like and or defend one type over all others. Brows Held High or L. Ellis could do some heat with that! Like multiple episodes worth maybe. Y'all welcome. I look forward to my enlightenment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone here watched Max Landis's adaptation of Dirk Gently on Netflix? I am almost convinced that the crazy man with the dog is supposed to be a reference to Mr. Plinkett from RedLetterMedia due to Max's friendship with them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Rufus posted:

I usually enjoy Buckley videos but any of them about music are almost exclusively guaranteed to be spergey rear end nitpicky nonsense. His usual rant ones or advice episodes are decent provided you aren't a wingnut of either variety and also pay attention to the video.

The guy isn't the greatest but he is worth a view every week. Again, excepting his music stuff which is dire. (And this coming from someone who utterly loathes that 90s song with LOVE ME LOVE ME SAY THAT YOU LOVE ME because of the lyrics and how infuriating it is. Because it just offends me on all levels. The closest today is that song about never growing older and tattoo shoulders and stolen mattresses. )

Course maybe music is just the subjective thing in entertainment with even more partisanship than even Videogames. Just because I can enjoy some Wu Tang, GWAR, Genesis, and the Frozen soundtrack in my car doesn't mean most people will. poo poo reviewer/analyst types! There is a video to do. Music and why people like and or defend one type over all others. Brows Held High or L. Ellis could do some heat with that! Like multiple episodes worth maybe. Y'all welcome. I look forward to my enlightenment.

i just remember at one point he was talking about the Beyonce song "We Run This" and 1.) didn't recognize the beat from Pon De Floor and 2.) said the line "I may be a misogynist, but I'm an informed misogynist" and then proceeded to point out in fact that women do not run the government of any country or run the board of any business

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

Rap Critic is really bad and from what I can tell he makes videos for people who don't like or listen to hip hop. I've seen some of his videos and heard a few episodes of his podcast and he knows shockingly little about hip hop outside the tiny bubble of artists he listens to, and his metrics for what constitute good rapping are extremely narrow and suspect. Don't trust anyone whose idea of good rap music is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MitZ-C0tgQ

Watch Dead End Hip Hop instead. They actually know what they're talking about and are funnier to boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yntBVFAU6Sg

As someone who knows very little about hip hop and mostly just watches the rap critic's worst lyrics vids cause I think they're funny, are you able to explain to me what is wrong with rap critic's approach vs others and give me an example of how little he knows?

Not trying to antagonize you or anything, I apologize if it comes off that way. I'm just curious is all.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

As someone who knows very little about hip hop and mostly just watches the rap critic's worst lyrics vids cause I think they're funny, are you able to explain to me what is wrong with rap critic's approach vs others and give me an example of how little he knows?

Not trying to antagonize you or anything, I apologize if it comes off that way. I'm just curious is all.

His judgement on whether a rapper is good or not is based entirely on "lyricism", but that's a vague, subjective metric that's only a fraction of what makes a rapper talented; good rapping is based on a variety of factors like flow, subject matter, personality, vocal timbre, melody, songwriting ability, and beat selection, and a rapper doesn't have to be good at all of them to be successful or interesting. Rap Critic completely discounts entire subgenres of hip hop like trap that aren't focused on his narrow definition of "good lyricism" and focus instead on other aspects like flow or melodic songwriting. Even his laser-focus on lyricism seems half-baked, like his ignorance of slant rhymes or internal rhymes ("lol he rhymed nigga with nigga!") or his tendency to give clunky lyrics and poor production/hooks a pass if the song has some sort of "message" to it.

In terms of knowledge, he seems like someone who knows a lot about the music he grew up with and a small bubble of artists he follows (mostly that Tech N9ne / Shady Records scene), and the rest of his knowledge about modern day hip-hop just seems to come from forcing himself to listen to Top 40 songs that he hates and whatever records his fans recommend to him. I think it's lame that he's trying to market himself as an authority on hip-hop when there are tons of rap writers and critics out there who have a fuller knowledge and appreciation for where hip hop is at today and are more engaged with what artists/scenes are bubbling and how they developed over time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I was gonna ask if Rap Critic talked about Made in the Manor at all last year but then i realized expecting any other Americans to give a poo poo about grime is a losing battle

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
He also has a really high opinion of a lot of guys who are basically "baby's first "deep" rap music" and so his opinion of what's "good" and what's "bad" comes off as really uninformed and shallow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Taste in music like all art is inherently subjective, you're being a snob.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Music like all art is inherently subjective, you're being a snob.

Oh no you said the magic wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*continues to trail off as I am cast into the void*

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

People like poo poo for stupid reasons, that's ok. :v:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone here watched Max Landis's adaptation of Dirk Gently on Netflix? I am almost convinced that the crazy man with the dog is supposed to be a reference to Mr. Plinkett from RedLetterMedia due to Max's friendship with them.

Yes, and although it took me a couple of episodes to get in the mood for it, I liked it a lot. But I do not really see the Plinkett connection here. Have you finished watching it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tarquinn posted:

Yes, and although it took me a couple of episodes to get in the mood for it, I liked it a lot. But I do not really see the Plinkett connection here. Have you finished watching it?

Haven't finished it yet. It took a while to figure out its mood. It's not what you really expect from a Douglas Adams story, but when I worked out how Landis was doing things I began to enjoy it on its own merits. Dirk could have easily come across as a doctor who ripoff but he is saved by being as equally clueless as everyone around him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HorseRenoir posted:

I never heard of Dead End Hip Hop before but yea that video you linked was real good. Any other recommendations like them? I like the unscripted/casual feel of it a lot.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is anyone else watching Movies with Mikey? I just found him and his stuff is pretty good.

John Wick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3P1ejh9pGs

Star Wars 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVZGUV77aRg&t=600s

Fury Road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_eIReMeNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Taste in music like all art is inherently subjective, you're being a snob.

I feel like when you're a critic you should at least be a bit more familiar with the medium you're a critic of. Like, yeah, if it's just talking about a random dude's taste, no prob, he can like whatever. But when he's setting himself up in public as a judge, I don't think it's snobby to go, "Hey, this guy doesn't seem too familiar with the field."

It'd be like someone setting themself up to be a movie critic who only watches blockbusters. (As opposed to someone who's specifically claiming to be a critic of blockbusters and nothing else.)

• Locked thread