Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

I wish it were only seven years. The media is still going on and on about JonBenet or some poo poo, and that poo poo has to be like 2 decades old at this point...

Almost 2 decades old. Meanwhile about 19,000 black girls have disappeared since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

negromancer posted:

Almost 2 decades old. Meanwhile about 19,000 black girls have disappeared since then.

And I'm guessing a non-zero number of them could possibly benefit from media attention right now, instead of JonBenet who has been dead nearly 20 years and nothing anyone can do will change that.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nope, Country music (as it came up in the 1920s) was a direct knockoff of Blues music.

Older country music was absolutely ripped off from blues, but there have been some legit progress made by white artists (Willie Nelson is the big one) that have morphed it into something so different that you really can't say that anymore.

Rock literally ripped off black jazz in the 60's dude. Like not even a knock off, they just flat out stole poo poo and they're still ripping off black artists with things like nu-metal.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

And I'm guessing a non-zero number of them could possibly benefit from media attention right now, instead of JonBenet who has been dead nearly 20 years and nothing anyone can do will change that.

Exactly. Hell, people are focused on 2 white people, and its JonBenet and OJ's ex-wife.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gringostar posted:

Older country music was absolutely ripped off from blues, but there have been some legit progress made by white artists (Willie Nelson is the big one) that have morphed it into something so different that you really can't say that anymore.

On the other hand, Willie Nelson made a reggae album. I love him, but let's not pretend he hasn't done some questionable poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

What's there to actually discuss about this?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Oh dear! Like one loving time that black folk being racist may have negatively affected a white person.

Also, this quote says it all:

quote:

"If this had been done to an African-American by four whites, every liberal in the country would be outraged, and there'd be no question that it's a hate crime," Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House, said on Fox News.

Conservatives giving away the game they could give no fucks whether poo poo is a hate crime, and will just whine about liberals calling for things like 'equality'.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

PT6A posted:

Photogenic blonde white girls are pure ratings bait for the media. See Natalee Holloway, for example.

Meanwhile, thousands of black girls can go missing without a peep because their lives don't matter, because most Americans don't believe black lives matter.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

:same:

I mean, until enough white people start getting hosed up for no reason that the rates match the incidents perpetrated against black people, stories like the one in that article shouldn't even be acknowledged on the news.

It's like the bullshit where a thousand black girls can get kidnapped and murdered without a peep but holy poo poo if a white girl goes missing is everyone going to hear about it for seven loving years.

A white 26yo woman went missing near here about a month ago. Still see her face everywhere all the time. Confused by this as I'm sure there are many more missing black children in Detroit, but the news is super focused on this one white woman.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Just realized that Willie Bank from Oceans Thirteen is basically Donald Trump.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I hope someone does a heist on Trump Tower and steals his golden toilet with a helicopter.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doctor Butts posted:

Conservatives giving away the game they could give no fucks whether poo poo is a hate crime, and will just whine about liberals calling for things like 'equality'.

The reason the reverse situation gets more attention is that white people being victimized by minorities results in quick and extreme justice, while the reverse has a huge chance of never even reaching a trial without piles of public outcry.

I mean, these idiots who beat up this kid deserve to be punished, but the actual likelihood is they will be. You won't see any "he was no angel" rhetoric about this disabled kid certainly. I would be up in arms if these guys weren't convicted, but that seems so out there as a possibility I don't see the point in getting mad over it until/unless it actually happens.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gringostar posted:

Rock literally ripped off black jazz in the 60's dude. Like not even a knock off, they just flat out stole poo poo and they're still ripping off black artists with things like nu-metal.

Nobody was defending Rock music. Also, gently caress Willie Nelson for thinking it was okay to make a reggae album as a white man (never mind that his "regular" music was terrible).

PT6A posted:

I wish it were only seven years. The media is still going on and on about JonBenet or some poo poo, and that poo poo has to be like 2 decades old at this point...

Yeah, but even white people are sick of hearing about JonBenet. Plus in that case everyone knows it was her own parents that killed her, but nobody can prove it.

negromancer posted:

Just realized that Willie Bank from Oceans Thirteen is basically Donald Trump.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I hope someone does a heist on Trump Tower and steals his golden toilet with a helicopter.

While he's sitting on it. And then he falls however many stories to the ground and lands in his own poo poo and dies.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 9, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

A genre of music that is literally "white people taking the best parts of music usually performed by black people in other genres and recycling it for white listeners" really doesn't have much of any foundation to lay on as "authentic" though.

Well to beat the joke into the ground, it was more about having a life experience that correlates with the values of the genre, rather than the music itself. The people that claim to like rap but only listen to Mackmore and then get huffy when told he's not a great representative of the genre. If value-wise country music is about rural life and the issues around it, then it's hard to begrudge someone like Dolly Parton her cred.

Also country does have some roots in European folk music, though it's mostly blues derived.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In defense of Willie Nelson he was really, really high.

Who has better weed, Snoop or Willie?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Nobody was defending Rock music. Also, gently caress Willie Nelson for thinking it was okay to make a reggae album as a white man (never mind that his "regular" music was terrible).

:siren:WHITE BOI ALERT!:siren:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

there wolf posted:

If value-wise country music is about rural life and the issues around it, then it's hard to begrudge someone like Dolly Parton her cred.

You can when she does painfully awkward stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCgDPBmbOM

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

420 Gank Mid posted:

:siren:WHITE BOI ALERT!:siren:

Yeah, because custom titles bought for everyone that posted in either of the D&D ghetto threads by Trump supporter trolls mean anything.

EDIT: It was changed every other day for a while there, at one point it even had red text that said something like "This poster needs to kill his entire family in penance for Trump's victory" before whoever was buying them ran out of money/got bored.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 9, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

You can when she does painfully awkward stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCgDPBmbOM

MODS?

DOES THIS COUNT AS A RAPPIN GRANNY?!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm starting to think you guys don't even like Blondie's "Rapture"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHCdS7O248g

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 9, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Apparently that is a question that only you can answer.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dem titties tho.

Literally all I know about Dolly Parton.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

That was adorable :allears:

Also

negromancer posted:

Dem titties tho.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

In defense of Willie Nelson he was really, really high.

According to Snoop, Nelson is the only person ever to smoke him under the table.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

According to Snoop, Nelson is the only person ever to smoke him under the table.

Now I want a rap verse added onto "I'll Never Smoke Weed with Willy Again."

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

This is something I 100% agree with. Listen to both Willie Nelson and Snoop's reggae album and you tell me who had to be higher.

It's Willie Nelson by far

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Okay Oceans Thirteen was definitely a shot at Trump because holy poo poo the parallels.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dolly Parton is a sweet woman who spends a lot of her money helping people less fortunate than her. She is more than a pair of boobs and let's not objectify women k thanks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And her theme park was actually very nice and had rides that easily fit a 6'6" dude like me.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Dolly Parton is a sweet woman who spends a lot of her money helping people less fortunate than her. She is more than a pair of boobs and let's not objectify women k thanks.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

Marry me.

I want to circle back to the discussion of black surnames from a few pages ago. It's true that Washington and Jefferson are some of the most common black surnames in America. Washington is actually more likely to be a black person's name than a white person's, iirc.

Some simple logic about human birthrates and western naming conventions for out-of-wedlock children should have already made this obvious, but black Washingtons are not descendants of George Washington. Nor is a black American's surname likely to be that of the slaveholders who once imprisoned their ancestors. Again obviously when you think about it for a second, freed slaves weren't super interested in carrying a memento of their slaver on all their ID documents forever.

Freed slaves tended not to have surnames, so they made them up. They frequently chose names from history that had positive connotations in American culture, like presidents. Others, particularly those part of the Great Northern Migration, chose names that would blend in in their new neighborhoods, like Williams and O'Neill. History makes a lot more sense when you remind yourself that everybody's people.

Good Time article on the subject

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I went to Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede in Branson and ate a tiny chicken but they didn't have silverware and she didn't actually show up.

Also they had ostrich races for some reason?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fluffdaddy posted:

I agree with the not objectifying women part, but let's not get too carried away with Dolly's character.

I'm sure she's had plenty of Paula Deen style moments of old white woman racism, she's just been smart enough to never do it in front of a camera.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
One more thing - I actually love this bit of history about black names, because it's an early widespread example of black people choosing something. A surname like Washington was a gift a mother gave to her first free-born child, and now we're spreading rumors that it was the product of rape. That's an insult to people who were real, who mattered, who have only just barely left living memory.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I agree with the not objectifying women part, but let's not get too carried away with Dolly's character.

I'm sure she's had plenty of Paula Deen style moments of old white woman racism, she's just been smart enough to never do it in front of a camera.

If we can only praise people who are perfectly immaculate then that's a pretty short list.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

From what I understand, Washington didn't leave ANY direct descendents, but a few cousins and a lot of mixed children.

I went deep diving into the tree last night and got to the Starling family, whose head patriarch George Starling (4x Great Grandfather for me) was born in 1820 and lived til 1918. He never left the town he was enslaved in and sure enough, he was originally owned by a white family of Starlings who he kept up with even after the end of the Civil War, because they lived a few blocks from one another.

One of his sons, Ransom Starling, ended up joining the Union Army and after the war spent a hot second in Pike County Alabama, where he met a family and convinced some of the girls to come back to Georgia with him and marry him and his brother Wesley, who is my 3x Great Grandfather.

Just digging through newspaper archives and census reports got me this info in about 7 hours. I am going to Alex Haley this poo poo

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/us/dolly-parton-tennessee-fires.html?_r=0

Don't loving step to Dolly, she is doing real good in this world and just because she is from the hills and has big hair doesn't make her a racist.

Judge people by their actions, etc.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

Ransom Starling

Was there ever a more adventuresome name. Not sure you can even say that name without tipping your hat and winking at the nearest lady.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Was there ever a more adventuresome name. Not sure you can even say that name without tipping your hat and winking at the nearest lady.

He definitely winked at a few ladies and then some, dude got married a lot in several different cities.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

He definitely winked at a few ladies and then some, dude got married a lot in several different cities.

Probably all a cover while he was questing for pirate treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Marry me.

I want to circle back to the discussion of black surnames from a few pages ago. It's true that Washington and Jefferson are some of the most common black surnames in America. Washington is actually more likely to be a black person's name than a white person's, iirc.

Some simple logic about human birthrates and western naming conventions for out-of-wedlock children should have already made this obvious, but black Washingtons are not descendants of George Washington. Nor is a black American's surname likely to be that of the slaveholders who once imprisoned their ancestors. Again obviously when you think about it for a second, freed slaves weren't super interested in carrying a memento of their slaver on all their ID documents forever.

Freed slaves tended not to have surnames, so they made them up. They frequently chose names from history that had positive connotations in American culture, like presidents. Others, particularly those part of the Great Northern Migration, chose names that would blend in in their new neighborhoods, like Williams and O'Neill. History makes a lot more sense when you remind yourself that everybody's people.

Good Time article on the subject

Good information. I thought it was "welp, we're freed slaves and the only names we know are these, so..." sort of situation.

One more thing - I actually love this bit of history about black names, because it's an early widespread example of black people choosing something. A surname like Washington was a gift a mother gave to her first free-born child, and now we're spreading rumors that it was the product of rape. That's an insult to people who were real, who mattered, who have only just barely left living memory.

If there's one thing I didn't think they chose, it was surnames. I figured they chose new first names, but held the surnames for the most part.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I wasn't intentionally trying to objectify her. I was just saying literally all I knew for about 24 years of my life was she was a famous white woman with big titties. I figured she was something like Elizabeth Hepburn or Dame Judy Densch. I found out much later "oh yeah, she's a legendary country singer".

Country music doesn't get much run in black neighborhoods.

Hell I didn't even know she had a theme park until the forest fires a month or so ago.

I pick up bits and pieces of white culture literally by accident.

I got into electronica music watching videos of EVE Online.

Got into a few...idk what genre to call it, I think it's rock music from WWE promos.

Linkin Park I only heard of because of the Jay-Z mashup and for some reason MTV saw fit to intersperse their coverage of 9/11 with Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit songs.

Point is, sorry I offended anyone by my very limited lack of knowledge about Dolly Parton.

False.

Scipio Africanus is much more dope.

Or Crispus Attackus.

Fluffdaddy posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/us/dolly-parton-tennessee-fires.html?_r=0

Don't loving step to Dolly, she is doing real good in this world and just because she is from the hills and has big hair doesn't make her a racist.

Judge people by their actions, etc.

She's gonna have a plantation themed ride just to spite your faith.

Or drop a Hulk Hogan level sex tape.

I'm still pissed about that man basically ruining my childhood in under 30 seconds.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread