Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bean_shadow posted:

And what I mean by "not incredibly narcissistic" is that she does think of other people and can be kind. But, she can also be narcisisstic. She was an incredibly spoiled only child. I was also an only child but I take means to not make the conversation about myself, often asking about other people and waving questions about myself away. I'm probably being irrational but I'm paranoid about being compared to my mother.

I think there's a difference between caring for other people and having empathy. My dad is sort of like your mom in that he has a pretty good set of guiding morals and does things he thinks are good (and usually are), but he doesn't put any effort into understanding others and firmly rejects anything that conflicts with his "internal narrative" of reality. To put it another way, he likes the idea of being a good person and, as a result, quickly rejects anything that implies otherwise as being nonsense.

Basically, some people take "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" to an extreme where they assume everyone else must have the same values and emotions as them, and they reject any attempts to argue that this might not be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Jesus man, it's not a good time to compare people to agender blobs on SA, there are current very uncomfortable associations.

Is this a Shmorky reference, or have I been reading too much GBS?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

bean_shadow posted:

My mom isn't a terrible person, despite her bad qualities. She's just a spoiled only child used to getting her way and used to having things be all about her. Not all only children are like that but she is.

Congrats on both your sobriety and reaching the final stage of adulthood: accepting your parents as people with their own failings.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Such Fun posted:

Congrats on both your sobriety and reaching the final stage of adulthood: accepting your parents as people with their own failings.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Such Fun posted:

This, indeed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

2/2/17: Thursday
3/3/17: Friday
4/4/17: Tuesday
5/5/17: Friday
6/6/17: Tuesday
7/7/17: Friday
8/8/17: Tuesday
9/9/17: Saturday
10/10/17: Tuesday
11/11/17: Saturday
12/12/17: Tuesday

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Old miracles: bringing folks back from the dead

Modern miracles: Hey, some numbers in this date match!!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
WELL IT MIGHT BE TRUE THATS WHY I SHARED IT!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Such Fun posted:

Well, it took nearly 35 years. My sister is in her early 40s and still hasn't reached that level yet. Her and my mother do not have a good relationship.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And Billy West did it as Zapp Brannigan.

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/815675220937707520

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

It sounds like he cares a whole lot where they stand on issues

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If this were actually true, you wouldn't know what they said because you wouldn't have paid any attention to them.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

I am the single set of quotation marks.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

A reality-star celebrity was just elected President of the United States! Not to mention a B-movie actor was elected in 1980 and 1984. So can it with the "celebrities need to stay out of politics".

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Something a little more light-hearted from imgur.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

bean_shadow posted:

A *reality-star celebrity was just elected President of the United States! Not to mention a B-movie actor was elected in 1980 and 1984. So can it with the "celebrities need to stay out of politics".

*A reality-TV gameshow host who loves his steaks burnt into tasteless charcoal "well-done" and can't go a day without making a public spectacle of himself.

The only reason the right gets their pants in a twist about celebrities commenting on politics is that the majority of them lean left and have a big platform. It has everything to do with delegitimizing those that disagree with them and nothing to do with any morals pertaining to famous people using their influence to spread political opinions.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I can genuinely see Captain Autismo being a successful educational cartoon about mental issues.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Gaunab posted:

Something a little more light-hearted from imgur.

Tough but fair

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

bean_shadow posted:

A reality-star celebrity was just elected President of the United States! Not to mention a B-movie actor was elected in 1980 and 1984. So can it with the "celebrities need to stay out of politics".
Those are both important object lessons in why celebrities should be banned from politics.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's sad that Meryl Streep saying "hey maybe the guy with the highest office in the land shouldn't mock special needs people" is now being terribly political.

It's going to be a long 4 8 years

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
rarely are imgur this straight forward.

Besides you know that one little jew thing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Murdering and stealing from a portion of your population while plundering the riches of neighbouring countries will get you some cash yeah.

plus he them immediately ran it back into the ground because he was actually a pretty terrible leader who happened to have enough charisma to get people following him, the allies stopped trying to assassinate hitler because they realized they were better off with him at the top than with someone who wasn't crazy and constantly high on meth

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

rarely are imgur this straight forward.

Besides you know that one little jew thing.

And the other 5 million non-Jews or however many it was

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

SwitchbladeKult posted:

*A reality-TV gameshow host who loves his steaks burnt into tasteless charcoal "well-done" and can't go a day without making a public spectacle of himself.

The only reason the right gets their pants in a twist about celebrities commenting on politics is that the majority of them lean left and have a big platform. It has everything to do with delegitimizing those that disagree with them and nothing to do with any morals pertaining to famous people using their influence to spread political opinions.

Yeah, I bet this guy doesn't mind when Clint Eastwood talks about politics.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slime posted:

Murdering and stealing from a portion of your population while plundering the riches of neighbouring countries will get you some cash yeah.

plus he them immediately ran it back into the ground because he was actually a pretty terrible leader who happened to have enough charisma to get people following him, the allies stopped trying to assassinate hitler because they realized they were better off with him at the top than with someone who wasn't crazy and constantly high on meth

The entire purpose of WWII from Hitler's perspective was that Germany could not sustain its economy without going out and conquering all kinds of industrial nations, right? Especially when so much of that economy was based on militarization to go conquer industrial nations.

But hey, he pulled them out of their funk

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

The entire purpose of WWII from Hitler's perspective was that Germany could not sustain its economy without going out and conquering all kinds of industrial nations, right? Especially when so much of that economy was based on militarization to go conquer industrial nations.

But hey, he pulled them out of their funk

I think it was more a multi-generational effort to expand into Eastern Europe because Germany was overcrowded.

Hitler did a great job in depopulating those crowded German cities.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
He also created millions of jobs in reconstructing Germany.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Man, Hitler sure was great!!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Not that we needed yet more proof that republicans are embarrassingly easy to con into voting against their own interests/lives, but god drat.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That's beautiful.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

I saw that one. I couldn't be sure if it was real or not. Imgur has a lot of fake chat logs and stories.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If that's your screencap, please provide any follow up that potentially happens. Amazing.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

Not that we needed yet more proof that republicans are embarrassingly easy to con into voting against their own interests/lives, but god drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g751-jjKXC0

Republican voters: Anthony Quinn
The GOP/Trump: Charles Dance

EL BROMANCE posted:

If that's your screencap, please provide any follow up that potentially happens. Amazing.

Sorry, lifted it from Twitter, not my friends.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LAB please give me the You dense motherfucker picture as my new avatar thanks.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hardcordion posted:

Eastwood did that dumb chair speech at the RNC and gets seen as some sort of John Wayne type, but he's a libertarian and has a lot of views that are more left-wing that most libertarians. I think that dude would be mad if Eastwood talked about gun control or war.

Doesn't really excuse supporting Romney, but that's not unusual for libertarians.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Hardcordion posted:

I'm sure they had no problem with it at all. How many celebrities gave speeches at the RNC in 2016? No, celebrities should be seen not heard! unless they agree with us :ssh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

He also created millions of jobs in reconstructing Germany.

I just thought up a genius plan for improving our economy: just destroy half the country! Millions of jobs would be created rebuilding it, and we'd also get new infrastructure in the process! Brilliant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The sad thing with Eastwood is just how much his filmmaking dropped in quality during his talking to the chair moments. Gran Torino was legitimately brilliant, then we've had the dreadful American Sniper and the 'only Ron Howard should have made this' bore that was Sully which was based around a narrative that existed only in Clint's head.

I think it's time to put him in a home.