Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
All y'all classifying each character according to FF13 roles are adorable :allears:

I think it's more fun to go ham on banners for characters you like instead of being smart and spacing them out, but I am also shameless about playing favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Thinking on the whole MVP thing, let's do some math here: An Ifrit pouch is 3100 gems, or coincidentally exactly enough to do a dollar pull and an 11-pull. It costs $28.99 (plus tax, but DeNA doesn't get to keep the tax fees) per banner. There are about 10 banners a month on average (4 and a half events, plus a typical full-price lucky draw of some sort), with festivals cramming 5 more banners in once every quarter or so.

So rounding to the nearest dollar, that's $290 for eight months and $435 for the other four.

Assuming MVP is earned cumulatively (it probably isn't), Varance would be eligible for it after about a full year of those spending habits.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
What is the MVP thing? I've heard it mentioned before but I don't know what they actually get and I don't think there's any mention of it in game.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

What is the MVP thing? I've heard it mentioned before but I don't know what they actually get and I don't think there's any mention of it in game.

People who spend absurd amounts of money get monthly emails with the occasional early announcement of an event and a goodie bag of a bunch of orbs and Rosetta stones and scarletite and Gil and poo poo.

Here's an example:

(There are MVP tiers for higher spend that increase those quantities as well.)

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Keep in mind that you can do combo mythril/gem pulls with G5, so it's not strictly $28.99 a pull. I also don't pull on non-event banners unless the relic pool is good (non-curated lucky draws and fest banners with dupe relics are terrible), especially if there's a high chance of dupes. I spent a couple hundred in December (thanks, 14 banner!), which was not enough to trigger the bronze MVP threshold. It takes some serious whale to trigger it.

Also, be wary of "forms" online that offer free entry into the MVP program; it's probably a phishing scam intended to steal your account. My understanding is that it's entirely handled in-game after a gem purchase triggers the threshold.

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 9, 2017

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I blew through so much mythril and gems trying to get Healers Circlet - I now have 8* Thyrus and Omnirod, along with every single other relic on FF14 banner 1. At least I got Y'shtola's medica :shepface:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Decided to give the Cid's Missions a crack since they were interesting and I have massively kitted out Vanille. Bart was an rear end in a top hat and proved to be pretty tricky to take down with how much only having 3 characters limits your capacity for stuff. Ended up using a Vessel of Fate RW for the haste and added stacking ATK buff along with Sazh's boostga. Vanille used Mako Might Oerba's Boon for Protect and then brough Curaja and Shellga. Fang was DPS/Medal Earner with Temp Flurry and Dismissal, also using the OK burst commands and Pulsar Burst SB because the jackass resists elements making Highwind less damage.

Take that rear end in a top hat space pope! :argh:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I was really sweating that I wouldn't be able to get Dismissal to proc on Bart before he died.

I accidentally did the ++ CM without checking the mastery conditions closely enough and didn't exploit lightning weakness (and broke the wrong enemy's magic) so I had to redo it. :downs: Just bought a full team the second time and stomped it flat in 2 turns, but it was a silly way to waste 20 stamina.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

1st AD posted:

I blew through so much mythril and gems trying to get Healers Circlet - I now have 8* Thyrus and Omnirod, along with every single other relic on FF14 banner 1. At least I got Y'shtola's medica :shepface:

I actually had a little money set aside, I thought what the hell, it's the holidays. But after I burned through my mythril (I shouldn't even have done that) I realized I had everything on the banner except the two big BSB prizes, and I was about to flush forty bucks CAD down the toilet. Maybe I'll spend it in a couple weeks on some Tiny Bees from the nightmare banner.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The ++ CM is probably best done by just bringing a Lightning/Hope OSB RW. Bring Sazh and Lightning/Fang/Noel (for medals, Lightning is best if you have Northen Cross) and either Hope/Vanille to maybe toss out a heal or two. Bring him down to about 60%, blow both RWs.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I wish I was fiscally irresponsible enough to whale vast amounts on this nostalgic cash grab mobage

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I thought I was fiscally irresponsible for throwing two $20 giftcards at dollar pulls :stare:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I thought I was fiscally irresponsible for throwing two $20 giftcards at dollar pulls :stare:

You were!

(but we're talking degrees of awful here)

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I probably threw 90 bucks over since 100 pulls became a thing.

Realizing this made me stop. Gatcha really are the nick and dime of all gaming. I don't feel TOO bad about it, a buck now and then is not too bad, honestly.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind giving DeNA my $1.41 every banner. Its a good game and it helps keep them going. My dollar draw luck isn't even too bad either, I probably get more from dollar draws on average than I would if I bought an actual 11 pull. /justifications for throwing away money.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hey, just think of it as a donation on behalf of all goons that enjoy playing the game for free, or something. I dunno. I like throwing money away on terrible things, such as an Internet forum for cool people.

Edit: There! I just gave Lowtax $50. The donor title gacha gave me Doctor Rope. As in the rope I will eventually hang myself with when I go crazy and spend my entire life savings trying to pull Tyro's Ultima Grimoire.

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 9, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cosmic Afro posted:

I probably threw 90 bucks over since 100 pulls became a thing.

Realizing this made me stop. Gatcha really are the nick and dime of all gaming. I don't feel TOO bad about it, a buck now and then is not too bad, honestly.

It's still less a month than having a FF14 account, says my half-assed self-justifications.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't really feel bad throwing money at the game every so often. I don't have the spare cash to be anything remotely approaching an MVP whale, but I've probably spent a hundo or two on it since I started playing last year and I don't regret it at all. It's a game I play pretty much every day and derive a large amount of enjoyment from and it's consistent in delivering good content that I have a lot of fun with.

The only time I get creeped out by people spending money on mobile games is when they do it in a way that is seriously harmful to their financial situation. People who are addicted enough to spend rent money on gacha pulls have a problem. People who have enough money to throw at pulling 10 times on a banner because they really want Sephrioth's burst or whatever and can afford that are fine, more power to them. It's not really any different than all the people who buy dozens of games on Steam that they never play or things like that.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
For the record, this is true whaling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3h3lUXcY2g

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Varance posted:

For the record, this is true whaling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3h3lUXcY2g

I'm irrationally angry at how many OSBs/USBs came out of that. I have yet to see one crystalline orb :negative:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lotta people justifying themselves all of a sudden. if you feel the need to do that, maybe skip the next pouch purchase

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Finally managed to scrape another 50 mythril together to do a second pull on the ffxiv banner. I decided to not pull on the first banner a second time, as I got 3 relics on my first go. Not the prize relics, but they were still good and I know I'd end up pulling dupes. So I pulled on the second banner.

I got 4 5*'s. The generic dagger, thancrede's ssb, thancrede's bsband ylda's bsb. So now I'm set for phsical teams, and a field 2 mages. I even have soul breaks for everyone but papalymo and alphinaud. All in all, absolutely worth it. :toot:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Thinking on the whole MVP thing, let's do some math here: An Ifrit pouch is 3100 gems, or coincidentally exactly enough to do a dollar pull and an 11-pull. It costs $28.99 (plus tax, but DeNA doesn't get to keep the tax fees) per banner. There are about 10 banners a month on average (4 and a half events, plus a typical full-price lucky draw of some sort), with festivals cramming 5 more banners in once every quarter or so.

So rounding to the nearest dollar, that's $290 for eight months and $435 for the other four.

Assuming MVP is earned cumulatively (it probably isn't), Varance would be eligible for it after about a full year of those spending habits.

You mean 2 1/2 years, assuming the number to reach is indeed $10k. 290*8 = 2320; 435*4 = 1740; 2320+1740 = $4,060.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Heaven Spacey posted:

Believe it or not as far as whaling is concerned buying one $1 and 11-pull per banner is pretty restrained. I don't think that would even qualify him for the MVP program.

Whales are people who spend thousands per year on a mobile game. Spending a few hundred a year won't put a person on the whale radar. Not by a long shot.

KataraniSword posted:

It wouldn't. AFAIK, the bottom threshold for that program is five digits.

It's definitely in the realm of "not F2P or even low-cash", but it's not a whale as they're traditionally known.

I'm just going to leave this here for people. It should be required reading before someone talks about whaling:
http://www.businessofapps.com/average-spend-game-war-fire-age-paying-player-2015-550/

I haven't tried digging around their info to see if they have FFRK's average but there are plenty of games that aren't top 25 which have a high average too. Maybe if/when they do an article on 2016's mobile spending we'll see FFRK (or FFBE)'s spend listed in it.

Anyone playing FFBE should look at that chart, see Brave Frontier's place, and know that Gumi's not likely to ever change its gacha ways.

e: I don't ever recall seeing someone post in a FFRK thread being an actual whale. Plenty of "man I spent $100 on this banner I'm whalin' hard" posts though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 9, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've spent $18 on dollar draws since I've started in late November. Mostly, I just see it as like a lotto ticket (which I only play a couple of times a year). It's only gotten me 2 5* relics thus far, Vanille's BSB and Cloud's armor. Nothing crazy. I think I've been pretty lucky in Banner pulling overall though.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I don't mind throwing a buck or two here and there, and maybe more if the banners have been good to me. I'm done with dollar draws for now even though I did pull a 5* on OSBFest banners 4 and 5, but I could throw some money if I really need to pull and only need a few more mythril. I'll likely dollar pull the banners next time we have a banner fest. It's a good reward for good gacha rates compared to most other games.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Varance posted:

Calm down and savor the rainbow/disco ball reveals, ya dumb whale, do you open all your presents on Christmas Eve or something :argh:

I also don't get what they were chasing. It looked like they got everything about halfway through so why did they keep going?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Adel posted:

Calm down and savor the rainbow/disco ball reveals, ya dumb whale, do you open all your presents on Christmas Eve or something :argh:

I also don't get what they were chasing. It looked like they got everything about halfway through so why did they keep going?

I think with whales like that it's not enough to just get a relic. They need three of them to get max level combining.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Armitage posted:

I don't mind throwing a buck or two here and there, and maybe more if the banners have been good to me. I'm done with dollar draws for now even though I did pull a 5* on OSBFest banners 4 and 5, but I could throw some money if I really need to pull and only need a few more mythril. I'll likely dollar pull the banners next time we have a banner fest. It's a good reward for good gacha rates compared to most other games.

I checked my history, I've spent $60 since I started, with a good chunk of that being $20 during orbfest to fill out mith on two banners.

The majority was spent on dollar draws which were almost entirely not worth it, but I did get one 6* and one 5* from them iirc.

That's like $40 for two rainbows, which I guess isn't far off $30 for one guaranteed? Your ratio could be better or worse depending on luck of course.

I have zero problems with $10-15 a month on the game, I like it that much, but lol@$30 for an 11 draw, that's crazy money. If it was $10 for 11 draws I'd probably spend $10-20 a month every month, so maybe it's better this way :v: If I'm going to spend $15 a month on FF, I should be shaming myself into spending it on FF14, not FFRK.

What's really gross is even at $30 it's still 'reasonable' compared to the other FF mobile games. FFBE has absolutely shittacular rates on good units (and rarity is basically power in that game, not like ffrk which has a lot of sidegrades and useful combos) - some dude spent like $1500 on the latest banner in that game chasing the rare unit. Mobius on the other hand has gone straight to 'Pay $75, get unique card!' idiocy.

So in comparison to those it's reasonable. But in comparison to, you know, any games on Steam, it's a loving ripoff. Clearly it works for them though, or they'd change the prices. Whales gonna whale.

e: Almost forgot, of that money spent probably half was freebie google play currency :haw:

victrix fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 9, 2017

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
The reason I dropped FFBE like a rock after a week was the fact it was pretty obvious to get my nostalgia kick I'd have to drop a lot of money and even then there's no way I would get lucky enough to play with all my favorite digital action figures. Sure I don't have great relics for them but in this game I can make a nostalgia dream team of Agrias, Gilgamesh, Yuffie, Vivi and Steiner or whoever I wanted and wreck up a good 80 percent of the content that is released before having to switch out to characters with good SBs. If the draw was for characters and not equipment this game would feel so different and I probably would never have played it for more then a week.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

iamsosmrt posted:

I've spent $18 on dollar draws since I've started in late November. Mostly, I just see it as like a lotto ticket (which I only play a couple of times a year). It's only gotten me 2 5* relics thus far, Vanille's BSB and Cloud's armor. Nothing crazy. I think I've been pretty lucky in Banner pulling overall though.

You got the best current healing item from a dollar pull, that's crazy enough. :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That's probably the worst part about BE. Have a favorite unit and it's rare? gently caress you, you're not getting it.

fwiw if you just want to play the content (the game does have beautiful art and nice music), you don't need any super rare units to do so, you can get through just fine with 'common' rare units. You won't be able to tackle the upper difficulty of events, but 99% of events in that game are 'grind this same boss/stage 500-1500 times' so you're not really missing anything anyway.

I usually just log in to get free poo poo and play whenever they update the main story or add dungeons etc.

FFRKs events are miles better. Do them once, get rewards, face some tough fights at the end, done.

If you've never played BE (don't), imagine if the events were like a normal realm dungeon in FFRK, and to get the top rewards for the event, you had to farm the normal realm dungeon 500 times over the course of two weeks. Or, the event might be one U+ boss. That you need to kill 100+ times. That's a normal FFBE event (actually some are even worse because they're the same farming, but done on an exploration map that you have to navigate... ugh).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

victrix posted:

That's probably the worst part about BE. Have a favorite unit and it's rare? gently caress you, you're not getting it.

fwiw if you just want to play the content (the game does have beautiful art and nice music), you don't need any super rare units to do so, you can get through just fine with 'common' rare units. You won't be able to tackle the upper difficulty of events, but 99% of events in that game are 'grind this same boss/stage 500-1500 times' so you're not really missing anything anyway.

I usually just log in to get free poo poo and play whenever they update the main story or add dungeons etc.

FFRKs events are miles better. Do them once, get rewards, face some tough fights at the end, done.

If you've never played BE (don't), imagine if the events were like a normal realm dungeon in FFRK, and to get the top rewards for the event, you had to farm the normal realm dungeon 500 times over the course of two weeks. Or, the event might be one U+ boss. That you need to kill 100+ times. That's a normal FFBE event (actually some are even worse because they're the same farming, but done on an exploration map that you have to navigate... ugh).

Yeah I played BE quite a bit and did a poo poo load of (free) pulls and never got poo poo for it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
FFBE takes a poo poo all over Shadow and Sabin. Maybe Lani if you cared about her.

FFBE's Sabin can't even suplex a pillow.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

FFRK is just all around a much better game, from the nostalgic gameplay, to the balance of character units, to the (relative) generosity of the free in-game currency. The dollar draw is also reasonable and I've had some great pulls from it.

I'll continue to play FFBE only because I got lucky and my favorite character is obtainable (Paladin Cecil is 3*) and I first got him on a featured banner a couple months into playing, and he is a top-tier unit at max level without needing any rare equipment or other enhancements. I will never spend any money attempting to pull units in that game, and the only money I have spent has gone into grinding out those enhancement items for other characters.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I played BE quite a bit and did a poo poo load of (free) pulls and never got poo poo for it.

I also played that game for quite a bit, then dropped it like a drat rock. Haven't looked back. Same experience with the mobile Kingdom Hearts cash grab, that poo poo can go to hell. The only thing left on my phone besides Record Keeper is FF Mobius, and I haven't touched it in over a month and a half. Should probably just delete the drat thing.

On a less bitchy subject, looking forward to tonight, because even if the pull is a 1/11, it's still some much needed synergy, and I'll get to spank that drat turtle for some revenge. Hope you guys like constant AoEs that dispel your white magic buffs every 4 or so turns.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think I'm drawing tonight, but not saving for TG Cid makes me :(

I don't think there are any other upcoming banners I really care about besides FFT though, so maybe I'll have enough for one or two by then.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Since it only took me one 11-pull to get both Vanille's BSB and one of Lightning's SBs on banner 1, I have 50 mythril left over that I haven't budgeted yet. Debating whether to pull on banner 2 tonight, or to take a shot at Golbez's BSB next month, since I hear it's kind of insane. What do I do guys :ohdear:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Golbez's BSB is really fun, I can tell you that from personal experience in JP. I've been able to solo quite a few U/U+/U++ bosses with him. He has the strongest life steal ability in the game as far as potential health recovered (technically Thief's Revenge can heal more, but you're not going to cap TR against anything relevant and I have capped Golbez command 2 against Ultimate and up level bosses if they're dark-weak).

That said, Raines is inarguably the stronger Soul Break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Speaking of mithril flow, once you've exhausted all of the normal realm dungeons, how much do you get monthly?

• Locked thread