Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
push the button wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
2:02 WHERE IS MY FRIGGIN ANNOUNCEMENT

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
:f5:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Trolled by Wizards yet again

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Considering they have a tendency to get their B&R reveals spoiled 20-30 minutes early, they're taking this one seriously.

Does something really need to be emergency banned? They wouldn't build this up because of MLK day, would they?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Didn't see it, figured you guys would have posted it, but that's what I get for assuming Wizards is competent.

This morning's tweet was probably meant for next Monday.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Considering they have a tendency to get their B&R reveals spoiled 20-30 minutes early, they're taking this one seriously.

Does something really need to be emergency banned? They wouldn't build this up because of MLK day, would they?

It's not an emergency ban since its the regular timing - the announcement itself is all that's early. Even assuming they banned Cat preemptively it wouldn't take effect until the set released, same as any other B&R announcement.

The only reason to do it early is if there's something that could be affected at pre-release (e.g. trading) or for PT testing. Otherwise, if it was nothing and they were concerned about a holiday they'd just do it on a Tuesday.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Standard:

Emrakul, the Promised End is banned.

Smuggler's Copter is banned.

Reflector Mage is banned

Modern:

Gitaxian Probe is banned.

Golgari Grave-Troll is banned.

Next B&R Announcement: March 13, 2017

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09

Lol

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Banned: b/r announcements.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Trick is still trying to figure out how to word it so it pisses every single person off and manages to insult at least 3 groups of disadvantaged people at once

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

quote:

Standard:
Reflector Mage is banned.

Modern:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:wow:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

End of Life Guy posted:

This morning's tweet was probably meant for next Monday.

I thought "no changes" would be the funniest option, but this is much better.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Borachon posted:

Standard:

Reflector Mage is banned.

Modern:

The list of all banned and restricted cards, by format, is here. The full list of cards banned in Modern is here. The full list of cards banned in Standard is here.

to be clear: this is not a joke. this is actually what happened

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elyv posted:

Wait that's not actually a joke?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Reflector Mage?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

DoctorOozy posted:

Standard:

Ho boy, this is going to piss off so many people. WOTC really has no clue what they're doing, or why their money making format is tanking.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

They forgot to unban Jace, Pod, and Splinter Twin.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wow

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wait that's not actually a joke?
Nope.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
OK I can see the modern bans, people have been complaining about Probe for a long time, and Wizards is known to hate Dredge.

But what the hell is the Standard metagame like that all that is necessary?

Is it time to buy back into Standard and Cat Lady people forever?

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 9, 2017

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
The Modern bans seem fair. Dredge likely still lives without GGT? And Probe was overdue a ban.

Lol standard

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Cat Twin is going to be such a good deck guys.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

OK I can see the modern bans, people have been complaining about Probe for a long time, and they're known to hate Dredge.

But what the hell is the Standard metagame like that all that is necessary?

It has been shiiiiiiiiiiit

SoftNum posted:

Cat Twin is going to be such a good deck guys.

Up until the next B&R announcement, at least.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:holymoley:

So obviously the only way to fix the problems that Emrakul and Copter make on standard are to loving ban them out of it.

Good talk WotC.

I was half expecting Smuggler's Copter to plummet in price as soon as the changes when up but here we are.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

suicidesteve posted:

They forgot to unban Jace, Pod, and Splinter Twin.

They also forgot to ban Probe in older formats.

Also cheap Smuggler's Copters, here I come!

Edit: I'm pretty sure banning GGT doesn't even do much to Dredge. They just play more Thugs, dredge a little less and still do way too much for so little.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 9, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, they're adding more ban dates, so if the Cat Lady is out of control, it won't last long.

quote:

Banned and Restricted announcements will now be made both on the Monday after Standard-legal set Prereleases and five weeks after a Pro Tour, also on a Monday.

We're making this change to give us, as well as the player community, greater flexibility in keeping organized play healthy and fun. We recognize that Pro Tour play, which is most directly informed by the announcement timeframe, represents a small fraction of Magic play. The play that is most affected by formats becoming imbalanced is the kind that happens between announcements—Friday Night Magic, Grand Prix, local tournaments, Magic Online events, Pro Tour Qualifying tournaments, or even just friends playing at home adhering to format rules.

So, in order to best serve the majority of Magic players, we're adding the mid-set window to ensure play experiences at those myriad events are the best they can be.

We do not expect this to lead to an increase in the number of cards banned or restricted (or unbanned or unrestricted), but the greater flexibility will allow us to address play issues more quickly.

We're making all of these changes because we believe they will help keep Standard healthy, diverse, and, most importantly, fun. Aether Revolt is packed with new, interesting cards that you'll want to try out in this refreshed, open environment. Get your first look at them this weekend at a Prerelease near you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

Lol I was like, okay this is pretty reasonable but Reflector Mage means this is obviously a joke.

Hope they realize Probe is a stupid lovely broken card that only enables degenerate poo poo and bans it in Legacy, Pauper and restricts it in Vintage.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

:holymoley:

So obviously the only way to fix the problems that Emrakul and Copter make on standard are to loving ban them out of it.

Good talk WotC.

They hosed up, and owned up. Doesn't excuse it, but I think this is for the better. Reflector Mage seems questionable, but given the new rotation would've meant another block of him, I won't miss him.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Gideon is much more banworthy than reflector mage imo.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
I am guessing Reflector Mage is the preemptive ban here. Jeskai decks are poised to be pretty good. Can't have anything be good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im surprised all the banned cards werent red, am i right fellas

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, they're adding more ban dates, so if the Cat Lady is out of control, it won't last long.

I mean it's good to have emergency release valves, but this should be so rare that it should be unnecessary.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I'm a little iffy about them banning roflcopter, but I do agree with Emrakul and Reflector Mage. Emrakul is just so far beyond powerful that there's really no other choice. Reflector Mage was a carry over from reverting to the old rotation schedule. I honestly wouldn't have had the full turn cool down on recasting though.

This should make deckbuilding more interesting though.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
The "financiers" on my list are oddly quiet, I wonder what they make of the "we're going to announce B&R changes more often" part of this announcement.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hoochie mama. RIP to the newcomer at our last Modern FNM running Dredge (the deck will probably be OK). It just sucks that they banned Troll, the unbanned it, and then had to ban it again, as I can see Wizards being really gunshy about unbanning anything ever again.

Probe is interesting, wonder if they might throw a deck like Storm a bone now that it has one less free spell to use. I also wonder what sort of shape Infect takes now that they have to play around removal.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Huey said on Twitter they found a deck that abused Reflector Mage, so they must have been talking with some pros.

These bans are nuts though. Standard bans are always a "wow we really hosed up" kind of situation and it's always interesting.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Recess Rapist posted:

I am guessing Reflector Mage is the preemptive ban here. Jeskai decks are poised to be pretty good. Can't have anything be good.

To be fair reflector mage was loving annoying. I will be glad to replace him in my decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Gideon is much more banworthy than reflector mage imo.

You have my vote.

• Locked thread