Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
My username is kieranmillar and I play late evenings in the UK. If see any of you around I'm more than happy to give you a game. I may have already played against some of you in the last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Guy A. Person posted:

* the other time we did this was when a friend opened 5/2 with Mountebank in play and Plats/Colonies. It got to a point where he was alternating buying Platinums and Colonies while me and the other guy were trying to scrape our way up to 5, and at the rate we were going he would have needed another 10+ turns to buy out all the Colonies by himself, unless the two of us managed to 3 pile something. Since then we have a house rule where we don't allow 5/2 openings with Mountebank, although tbf with some of the opening changing cards like Baker, the debt cards, and some events this might not strictly be necessary anymore

Why don't you just have mirrored openings, like the tournaments do? Sure, having three players open Mountebank is kind of silly, but it allows for more three pile potential.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Mirrored openings is one of the biggest missing features of the new client.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

golden bubble posted:

Why don't you just have mirrored openings, like the tournaments do? Sure, having three players open Mountebank is kind of silly, but it allows for more three pile potential.

That's actually an insanely cool idea, I did not know mirrored openings were even a thing, much less that it was the rule in tournaments. It might be something to try, although again we haven't even really seen Mountebank hit the table in awhile and with all the new sets with cards/events that give you more interesting opening options, it might not be an issue anyway. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dancer posted:

Oh yeah if we're doing usernames I'm DexStewart.

I added you. I don't think I'm a great player, but I'd play against you if you want.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

That's actually an insanely cool idea, I did not know mirrored openings were even a thing, much less that it was the rule in tournaments. It might be something to try, although again we haven't even really seen Mountebank hit the table in awhile and with all the new sets with cards/events that give you more interesting opening options, it might not be an issue anyway. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Another option is to let people choose how their starting deck is stacked.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I can count on one hand the number of times I've purchased copper or estates. Usually when I have something fun to combo specifically with it, like Bishoping an Estate.

There were 4 major reasons to consider buying coppers last time I played seriously, as well as a whole host of edge cases:

Gardens - obvious really, extra buys mean extra points and you only really need an average of 4 money, maybe 5.
Horse Traders/Duke - similarly. You're aiming to pile out 3 piles of 5 or less, annd you want to keep your greens down. Average of 5 only.
Ill Gotten Gains - similarly.
Goons - when you're really firing on all cylinders and can afford to buy a copper for 4 or 5 VP, or particularly if you combo it with Watchtower...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

When you're playing online and you might be able to react but can't, the client will tell you to "pretend to think" :v:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thespaceinvader posted:

There were 4 major reasons to consider buying coppers last time I played seriously, as well as a whole host of edge cases:

Gardens - obvious really, extra buys mean extra points and you only really need an average of 4 money, maybe 5.
Horse Traders/Duke - similarly. You're aiming to pile out 3 piles of 5 or less, annd you want to keep your greens down. Average of 5 only.
Ill Gotten Gains - similarly.
Goons - when you're really firing on all cylinders and can afford to buy a copper for 4 or 5 VP, or particularly if you combo it with Watchtower...

Having an extra buy with Trader, and using it to get a free Silver (or to drain the Curse pile for a 3-pile victory) is also an edge case, I guess.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Asking this question out of sheer academic curiosity - I don't like Alchemy, and I'm a bad player. The Possession change was discussed earlier. Is there any given reason, other than consistency, for as to why debt tokens can't just simply behave differently from other tokens? So the person playing possession would get any debt tokens they're "getting" while possessing, but the victim would get all the other ones.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Text space, but mainly the consistency thing. DXV is pretty big on clarity when he can get away with it, so I imagine since he's already breaking the wording of Possession having it affect one token one way while affecting other tokens another way would be a big no for him.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus, regular people play soooooooooooo fuuuuuuuucking sloooooooooooow.

edit: especially with Sentry. Goddamn, it's not loving rocket science.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm still getting weird timeouts whenever there is a 3-pile. Also is there a record or something? This seems decent enough if it's just a beta but some features definitely missing (would love to see what expansions people have for example).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo, add me to all your friends lists if you have xpacs so we can rumble.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having played way too much with the standard set, Sentry seems like a pretty strong card. A cantrip trasher that also sifts is useful, and helps to play past cursing attacks (as well as other things that deposit junk, like Ambassador, Jester or Mountebank). I was sort of on the fence at it being a five buy, but I've narrowly lost games where my opponent went for Sentry and I went for a different five-buy in a situation where we're otherwise splitting curses.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, having just played a board in Dominion.NET with Feodum and Donate, you can start your fourth turn with a deck that's nothing but six Silver. That's pretty sweet.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Having played way too much with the standard set, Sentry seems like a pretty strong card. A cantrip trasher that also sifts is useful, and helps to play past cursing attacks (as well as other things that deposit junk, like Ambassador, Jester or Mountebank). I was sort of on the fence at it being a five buy, but I've narrowly lost games where my opponent went for Sentry and I went for a different five-buy in a situation where we're otherwise splitting curses.

Yeah it's like a mini-Cartographer except it also allows you to trash, it's great. Pretty cool that he's still able to create simple cards that feel powerful and new.

I honestly underestimated a ton of the new cards at first but you can see how he has gotten so much better at taking even simple concepts and making them solid enough on their own but explode into these crazy synergies. I played a game with Harbinger and Advisor and quickly realized that it didn't matter what I discarded for my opponent since he was just going to top deck it a second later.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Apparently if you call a Duplicate before your Royal Seal trigger, this can happen "Royal Seal loses track of Baker (it was covered up)."

Dancer
May 23, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Also, having just played a board in Dominion.NET with Feodum and Donate, you can start your fourth turn with a deck that's nothing but six Silver. That's pretty sweet.

Alternate idea, wouldn't starting turn 3 with nothing but 3 silver be better on many kingdoms (assuming 4 copper t1)?
T1 feodum
T2 donate (pay off 3)
T3 you have 6 money, pay off 5.
T4 buy a gold, now you have a 4 card deck
T5 buy whatever action you want (you would presumably also do this in your play). Now your draw is more consistent, and the average treasure in your deck is stronger. At first I was going to add a caveat that your play can get a possible platinum one turn earlier, but I just misjudged so I think this turn is earliest with both approaches.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Apparently if you call a Duplicate before your Royal Seal trigger, this can happen "Royal Seal loses track of Baker (it was covered up)."

Lol yea, those are always funny. There's a similar interaction where if you Summon a Death Cart, the Death Cart doesn't get put aside by Summon since it gets covered up by the ruins.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dancer posted:

Alternate idea, wouldn't starting turn 3 with nothing but 3 silver be better on many kingdoms (assuming 4 copper t1)?
T1 feodum
T2 donate (pay off 3)
T3 you have 6 money, pay off 5.
T4 buy a gold, now you have a 4 card deck
T5 buy whatever action you want (you would presumably also do this in your play). Now your draw is more consistent, and the average treasure in your deck is stronger. At first I was going to add a caveat that your play can get a possible platinum one turn earlier, but I just misjudged so I think this turn is earliest with both approaches.

I think your idea would be better in most kingdoms. But if you suspect the game will go to twenty turns (probably due to a nasty attack card being present) , I think six silvers at turn 4 will beat 3 silvers on turn 3.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
M-m-m-monster Kill!

pre:
Turn 13 - Toshimo
T starts their turn.
T gets +1 Action and +1 Coin (Fishing Village).
T plays a Minion.
T plays a Minion.
T discards 2 Estates.
T draws a Copper, a Silver, an Artisan and a Minion.
a discards 4 other cards and an Abandoned Mine.
a draws 4 cards.
T plays an Artisan.
T gains an Artificer.
T topdecks a Copper.
T plays an Artificer.
T draws a Copper.
T discards a Copper and a Silver.
T gains a Settlers.
T plays a Minion.
T draws a Copper, an Artisan, a Fishing Village and a Settlers.
T plays a Settlers.
T draws a Minion.
T looks at 3 Estates, a Minion, 3 Coppers, a Silver and a Trading Post.
T puts a Copper into their hand.
T plays a Fishing Village.
T plays an Artisan.
T gains an Artificer.
T topdecks a Copper.
T plays an Artificer.
T draws a Copper.
T discards 2 Coppers.
T gains a Settlers.
T plays a Minion.
T draws a Copper, an Artisan, a Fishing Village and a Settlers.
T plays a Fishing Village.
T plays a Settlers.
T draws a Minion.
T looks at 3 Estates, a Minion, 4 Coppers, a Silver and a Trading Post.
T puts a Copper into their hand.
T plays an Artisan.
T gains an Artificer.
T topdecks a Copper.
T plays an Artificer.
T draws a Copper.
T discards 2 Coppers.
T gains a Settlers.
T plays a Minion.
T shuffles their deck.
T draws a Copper, an Estate, a Minion and a Settlers.
T plays a Settlers.
T draws a Copper.
T plays a Minion.
T discards 2 Coppers and an Estate.
T draws 2 Coppers, an Estate and a Trading Post.
T plays a Trading Post.
T trashes a Copper and an Estate.
T gains a Silver.
T plays a Copper and a Silver.
T buys and gains a Province.
T shuffles their deck.
T draws a Copper, a Silver, an Estate, an Artisan and a Minion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In general, it seems like Events and Landmarks are DXV saying: what if the game was like THIS instead? Like Donate asks, "what if there was no lovely starting deck," and Delve asks, "what if silvers were a 2-buy?" That's a really cool concept that makes them more than just needless bloat, which is what I think you see in other deckbuilders that try out brand new ideas in expansions.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just had a match against a bot where I was Bishoping Nobles, and then pulling them out of the trash with Lurker. My necromantic kingdom of Draculas allowed me to win with 75 VP without even touching Provinces. And people say Dominion isn't thematic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Being able to buy 2 Colonies in one turn is grand.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Someone make a friend list spreadsheet pls so I can smash goons erryday.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I really need more people who don't concede one the 2nd reshuffle and drop table because they know they done hosed up.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The best thing about Rats is realizing you've made a terrible mistake; today I tried Ritual to keep them under control.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
You probably didn't buy enough Rats. Remember, every Rat gets you more Rats, so it's good to buy as many as possible.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

these guys are dumb, YOU DONT JUST BUY THE SAME FRIKIN CARD! it's a good idea to get a chaple if there are witches and thus curse cards (if you can trash curses). he's so dumb...... cards become more powerful in combos, and the most versatile combos are what win the game. Chapels are end game cards like victory points. you need chapel to clean up the crap in your deck later on, such as copper, which wastes space late game. Nobody would stock up on chapel at the beginning

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tekopo posted:

these guys are dumb, YOU DONT JUST BUY THE SAME FRIKIN CARD! it's a good idea to get a chaple if there are witches and thus curse cards (if you can trash curses). he's so dumb...... cards become more powerful in combos, and the most versatile combos are what win the game. Chapels are end game cards like victory points. you need chapel to clean up the crap in your deck later on, such as copper, which wastes space late game. Nobody would stock up on chapel at the beginning

Are you OK, friend? Do you need an adult?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's the top comment on that video :ssh:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
People who read Youtube comments are perhaps the definition of "needs an adult".

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So this game was fun. I wasn't going to end it this round, and would almost certainly have lost, if my Swindler hadn't picked off one of his dukes. He was way luckier than me with Swindles early in the game though so I refuse to feel bad :v: .

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tekopo posted:

Buy more Chapels so you have more cards for your Chapels to trash.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
BTW so what's the etiquette for goon on goon action? I just saw someone in a game, and I clicked join (since I can't find any way to actually message them in the app which is just moronic), and I can spectate their game. Which is suboptimal because ideally I'd like to start a game with them. Is there any way to interact with people in your friends list?

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Currently there is no PM feature. Best thing to do is to spectate their game, chat to them in the game chat, then if they are up for a game, join in onto the table once the game is finished (there is a join game button in place of the Ready button on the game results screen or table setup screen).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

Being able to buy 2 Colonies in one turn is grand.

Laughing my rear end off if you didn't have the Isotropic achievement for emptying the entire Colony stack in one turn.

(I don't either, but I only found it just before the site closed.)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

Laughing my rear end off if you didn't have the Isotropic achievement for emptying the entire Colony stack in one turn.

(I don't either, but I only found it just before the site closed.)

I never got that one, but hitting the Silk Road achievement was a great feeling.

edit: What would be the best way to generate 88 gold and 8 buys in a single turn? Another possibility would be something like a KC chained Rebuild aimed at Provinces where you're recycling the same Colony into another Colony over and over again. That means that you technically possess all of the Colonies, but you likely only finish with a single one in your deck. But, of course, Dark Ages didn't exist in the iso era.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sector_corrector posted:

I never got that one, but hitting the Silk Road achievement was a great feeling.

edit: What would be the best way to generate 88 gold and 8 buys in a single turn? Another possibility would be something like a KC chained Rebuild aimed at Provinces where you're recycling the same Colony into another Colony over and over again. That means that you technically possess all of the Colonies, but you likely only finish with a single one in your deck. But, of course, Dark Ages didn't exist in the iso era.

The best way to do it was always a mega-chain of Bridges.