Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's a general outlook for 2017, not about the current Pixel XL stock issues.

Yeah.

Top be clear, there doesn't seem to be any stock issues with the 5" Pixel. Black and Silver, both storage options, are in stock in the Google Store with estimated arrival dates of the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Nm

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 7, 2017

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait they are counting the storage in base 10 for the pixel???

Storage manufacturers have been doing that since they first learned they could get away with it. This is not something new.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gigabytes are base 10. Gibibytes are base2

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Gigabytes are base 10. Gibibytes are base2

No one outside tiny nerdy circles uses "gibibytes" nor knows what it means.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one outside tiny nerdy circles uses "gibibytes" nor knows what it means.

Which is fine, because no one outside tiny nerdy circles would notice a problem or wonder about it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait they are counting the storage in base 10 for the pixel???
Physical storage is always measured in MB/GB according to the SI meaning of those prefixes, i.e. 1000^x. Actual usage is always measured in MiB/GiB (1024^x) but shows as MB/GB because this is what everybody ever uses these acronyms to mean except storage manufacturers.

As such a 32GB NAND chip actually only contains 29.7GiB of storage which shows as 29.7GB in the OS. This isn't specific to the Pixel or even Android. Go check the drive on your computer.

Edit: I had GB and GiB backwards on my previous post due to desperately mashing out a reply on my phone before my train went underground.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 7, 2017

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

NAND silicon manufacturers specify their storage capacity in base two units of bits. A 32 Gb NAND has 32 *1024*1024*1024 bits of page storage in it. You can get really funky capacities, though, because every page has extra bits for ECC and wear levelling info, i.e. 2048 bytes + 64 bytes per page. On top of that, with NAND, you need to keep spare blocks, a pretty good number of them, because of factory bad blocks and bad blocks that develop over time. Phones are using eMMC (or UFS) which hide the extra page bytes and spare blocks away. I'm pretty sure a phone that advertises 32 GB actually has 32 * 1024*1024*1024 bytes of storage in it, but you are seeing less because of reserved space for bad blocks and losses to formatting.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Yeah.

Top be clear, there doesn't seem to be any stock issues with the 5" Pixel. Black and Silver, both storage options, are in stock in the Google Store with estimated arrival dates of the end of the week.

Of course there wouldnt be any stock problems with a pixel. How can google or any vendor run out when no one is buying them?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Of course there wouldnt be any stock problems with a pixel. How can google or any vendor run out when no one is buying them?

Uhh, link? I was under the impression they're selling quite well.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I've met multiple non-tech people with Pixels.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

Yeah, I've met multiple non-tech people with Pixels.

Same, I see the occasional one when I'm riding the train, etc, too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My parents and their friends have pixels.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of normals with Pixels too. I've certainly seen more Pixels than, say, LG G5s or V20s, or HTC 10s.

vvvv e: No one's saying that isn't the case but when it comes to expectations, I'd say the Pixel is exceeding them.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 9, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Most common by far though is Samsung, much to this thread's chagrin

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You guys all realize that you are reacting to the same guy who was adamant about needing flash in 2016 and is pining for a PC dock for android?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You guys all realize that you are reacting to the same guy who was adamant about needing flash in 2016 and is pining for a PC dock for android?

Lmao I missed that

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Most common by far though is Samsung, much to this thread's chagrin

The Honda Civic is a fairly plentiful car in the US but that doesn't mean it isn't outclassed by other vehicles on quality.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I really think the Pixel got a bit of a boost with Samsung dropping the hot potato on the Note and the S7 being slightly older news around that time.

That and the Verizon deals for $10/m for a brand new phone with the specs of a Pixel with a sprinkle of marketing from both Google and Verizon combined to make it way more successful then I think anyone thought it would be.

If a phone with such a rushed development can be this good from Google, I cannot wait to see what the Pixel 2 will be like.

Though I really hope it has front facing speakers to completely win me over.

Now the leaked stuff for the HTC "U" And "Ocean" look like something to keep an eye on.

No Physical buttons and capacitive edges for swiping and such look potentially useful.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Now the leaked stuff for the HTC "U" And "Ocean" look like something to keep an eye on.

No Physical buttons and capacitive edges for swiping and such look potentially useful.
Info?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Man that was a good post.

But the android pc dock thing? Wasnt me.

What i said was that i wanted a windows phone capable of running full windows apps when connected to a tv. Pipe dream i know, but i want it.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

FAUXTON posted:

The Honda Civic is a fairly plentiful car in the US but that doesn't mean it isn't outclassed by other vehicles on quality.

What is quality? If you mean build quality, then a honda civic is much more reliable and less prone to failing than whatever luxury brand you might be thinking of. Honda's VTEC engines are also really good at getting a lot of horsepower out of a relatively small naturally aspirated engine at high RPMs.

I mean I get your point, but this is a bad analogy (or use of words).

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

There is an event on 1/12/17 or something. The HTC U (Ultra) is supposed to be a 6" handset targeted at Samsung Note users or something. Also rumored to be lacking 3.5mm jack. Then there is the HTC 11 annoucement which is the HTC 10 replacement 5.5" same old poo poo and supposedly a mid-range HTC 10X option also.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

bull3964 posted:

Grimcreap'd again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FAUXTON posted:

Pickup trucks are the highest selling vehicles in the US but that doesn't mean they aren't outclassed by other vehicles on quality, utility, mileage, interior space, performance, towing ability (looking at you, Ford Ranger)...

Fixed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Heavy Hands posted:

What is quality? If you mean build quality, then a honda civic is much more reliable and less prone to failing than whatever luxury brand you might be thinking of. Honda's VTEC engines are also really good at getting a lot of horsepower out of a relatively small naturally aspirated engine at high RPMs.

I'm saying that Samsung's commanding market share doesn't erase the fact that their phones are sometimes/often problematic if not outright poo poo, or actual flaming garbage in the case of the Note 7. Samsung certainly offers a good set of specs for say $700 but you can also pay more for a qualitatively better phone, the Pixel. That isn't a direct slight against the Civic or Honda (I mean I agree with the reliability points you're making, the past two cars I've owned have been two different models of the Fit, the first of which resold for almost half of the second one's sticker price) but I'll apologize for the comparison to Samsung because I don't think they've ever had to recall a Civic model for suddenly bursting into flames. I didn't mean to get into the NA big block/turbo'd small block multigenerational holy war.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Heavy Hands posted:

VTEC just kicked in yo

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

This "leak" has 2 videos

The first video.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/817960356035383297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The side scroll/button feature seems like it might be something i'd like to try at least.

Side physical buttons need to friggin die. (Every single car dock, or grip on my telescope grabs the phone on the sides, pretty much making it useless with the side buttons on a 6P and even a Pixel. A V10 would be perfect for the scope for sure.
My LG G3 I loved for the design but the internal software and hardware was lacking in a few ways as time went on. But the rear buttons and the V10 Improving on it with the rear power/fingerprint button was fantastic.

Going capacitive though, might be a mixed solution that if done correctly, might be pretty slick without any issue of clicky/moving buttons that plagued some Pixel owners....

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
What car dashboard mount do people like for the Pixel (or any similarly sized phone)?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChineseBuffet posted:

What car dashboard mount do people like for the Pixel (or any similarly sized phone)?

I actually just ordered this and it's arriving today, I will report back.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I got this a few months ago and have been really happy with it. Magnetic is definitely the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016GNYZIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ChineseBuffet posted:

I don't have a car anymore, but when I did I would only use http://www.proclipusa.com/ mounts.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

rotaryfun posted:

I got this a few months ago and have been really happy with it. Magnetic is definitely the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016GNYZIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one as well and it's Very Nice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really miss the magnets in my Nexus 5 for the wireless charging, worked great with those magnetic mounts without having to use a case.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just stick mine in the cup holder

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Congrats on being a monster.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Internet Explorer posted:

Congrats on being a monster.

I've been a monster for years

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hey, remember that super rushed first beta to full deployment Nougat update for OnePlus models to hit the end of year deadline?

Totally suitable for daily driver...
http://phandroid.com/2017/01/09/oxygenos-bug-fix-update-oneplus-3t/amp/

quote:

If you still experience mobile data issues caused by APN, please go to APN settings page and manually choose try all the options. In the case that mobile data is still unusable, please send me a pm along with affected career and device model.

WiFi connectivity might still fluctuate, if you experience this issue, please send me a pm.

Data may not work with both ways you may need to use it, fiddle around with settings and if it still doesn't work fire a message into the void. Will totally reply but must know career first! Completely functional ROM, would install again.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 9, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's almost like OnePlus is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I assume "career" is a bad translation or autocorrect of "carrier" but still lmao why would you ever spend real money on a OnePlus?