Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Are you a good person now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Ezzer posted:

would killing myself make me a bad person?

It's a pretty lovely thing to do to your family.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Peristalsis posted:

I don't drink coffee, because it tastes awful, and caffeine screws me up. I don't drink tea, because it tastes like steeped grass clippings (i.e. not good). I've also tried black tea, I think, and it didn't taste good, either.

However, I think I'd like to get some kind of flavorful, low/no calorie warm drink to sip on in my office when I'm feeling cold. Or at home, I guess. I like good hot chocolate, but I don't want to drink it constantly, both because I don't want to give myself diabetes, and because the cheap powdered mixes available at work are gross. I'm open to flavored teas, but I tried some peppermint tea the other day, and it tasted like steeped grass clippings with a mint leaf mixed in. So, I'd need a tea that doesn't taste like tea, which seems like a tall order.

Is there anything good and warm/hot to drink that doesn't taste like coffee or tea, and isn't full of sugar? Has anyone ever tried Postum?

There's a huge variety in tea itself, and a still huger variety when you get to herbal infusions (say lavender, chamomille, tulsi, linden etc etc), but all of these are naturally Made of Plants which seems to conflcit with your infantile taste soooo. Maybe carob tea? It tastes a bit like raw chocolate. Or maybe puerh tea, which tastes of horse hair.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ezzer posted:

A lot of religions say 'yes'.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Depends on the circumstances of your suicide. Context is everything.

This isn't the place for this discussion really, there are resources out there to help you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Peristalsis posted:

I don't drink coffee, because it tastes awful, and caffeine screws me up. I don't drink tea, because it tastes like steeped grass clippings (i.e. not good). I've also tried black tea, I think, and it didn't taste good, either.

However, I think I'd like to get some kind of flavorful, low/no calorie warm drink to sip on in my office when I'm feeling cold. Or at home, I guess. I like good hot chocolate, but I don't want to drink it constantly, both because I don't want to give myself diabetes, and because the cheap powdered mixes available at work are gross. I'm open to flavored teas, but I tried some peppermint tea the other day, and it tasted like steeped grass clippings with a mint leaf mixed in. So, I'd need a tea that doesn't taste like tea, which seems like a tall order.

Is there anything good and warm/hot to drink that doesn't taste like coffee or tea, and isn't full of sugar? Has anyone ever tried Postum?

Room-temperature Guinness.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Ezzer posted:

No, but the process normally really sucks, and then at the end of it you no longer exist and can't do cool fun stuff any more.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My parents forwarded me their flight itinerary with United. Sent from their Gmail to mine, but the formatting is all hosed up. Lots and lots of white space. Is this common, and is there anything that can be done to fix it? I've never seen such a thing before.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

My parents forwarded me their flight itinerary with United. Sent from their Gmail to mine, but the formatting is all hosed up. Lots and lots of white space. Is this common, and is there anything that can be done to fix it? I've never seen such a thing before.

Gmail doesn't allow HTML formatting in messages. It tries to compensate but isn't always successful.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Peristalsis posted:

Try various herbal teas. You'll be surprised at the variety of flavors available when you branch out from a $.05 Lipton tea bag. There are some fruity ones that have a bit of a sweetness to them without containing any actual sugar.

Or you could try to stop being a goony picky eater and try drinking the things that the rest of humanity have, on the whole, decided Taste Pretty Good.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Peristalsis posted:

Hot water with lemon or lime. A spoonfull of sugar if that's your thing.

There are about 10,000 different kinds of tea. A visit to a tea shop with an open mind (meaning, having not already decided that everything tastes like "grass clippings") may be in order.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Peristalsis posted:

Here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984 is a good thread that could probably help you out. There's a whole lot of hot drink nerds in there who know a whole lot about this kind of thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dupersaurus posted:

Gmail doesn't allow HTML formatting in messages. It tries to compensate but isn't always successful.

Huh. That's really surprising in one sense, but not at all in another. Thanks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

e: actually, never mind

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My wife bought me an Amazon Echo for Xmas. Is it good for anything beyond playing music? I'm not interested in turning the lights on and off with my voice. Or buying doodads to make that possible.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Lincoln posted:

My wife bought me an Amazon Echo for Xmas. Is it good for anything beyond playing music? I'm not interested in turning the lights on and off with my voice. Or buying doodads to make that possible.
There's a thread in IYG:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679478

In short, like any ecosystem, if you convert your whole life over to it (buy some outlet control deals and a new thermostat, so on and so forth), you can do some mildly nifty stuff. That technology has not hit its stride yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I vacuum sealed a loaf of white sourdough bread for mailing and it got all smushed down, is it ruined now or will it just magically pop back up?

I don't want to open it and cut it to check because that would ruin the whole point of sealing it in the first place.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It'll puff up some depending on how springy and how moist it is, but not a lot. It's not ruined- it's just flat sourdough bread now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I vacuum sealed a loaf of white sourdough bread for mailing and it got all smushed down, is it ruined now or will it just magically pop back up?

I don't want to open it and cut it to check because that would ruin the whole point of sealing it in the first place.

lol yeah it's not gonna be the same. What possessed you to vacuum seal bread? Trying to save space?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

lol yeah it's not gonna be the same. What possessed you to vacuum seal bread? Trying to save space?

I have to mail it across the country, which is about a week, and it usually keeps for about 5 days. The internet said to try this. :ohdear:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Seal at a lower PSI?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
British science goons- would you say that you pyrolyzed something, or pyrolysed it instead?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Help me settle a debate among my coworkers.

Can anyone think of another non-hyphenated* word in the English language where the plural version adds an S, but not to the end of the word? The only example we could come up with was passerby/passersby.

*for example, court-martial and knight-errant don't count.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Can anyone think of another non-hyphenated* word in the English language where the plural version adds an S, but not to the end of the word? The only example we could come up with was passerby/passersby.

That's just a quirk of "passer-by" being often written without a hyphen, no? "Looker-on" is grammatically identical in form.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've had a really obnoxious dry cough the last few evenings/nights. I've tried Delsym (dextrorphan) and Halls lozenges. So far only the Halls works, but it's obviously not a good idea to suck on one while going to sleep. Anything else I can try to help me get to sleep easier?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

Could maybe argue sonofabitch plurazies into sonsofbitches?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

hooah posted:

I've had a really obnoxious dry cough the last few evenings/nights. I've tried Delsym (dextrorphan) and Halls lozenges. So far only the Halls works, but it's obviously not a good idea to suck on one while going to sleep. Anything else I can try to help me get to sleep easier?

Honey can be good. Some other remedies: http://everydayroots.com/cough-remedies

I've fallen asleep with sugar-free Ricola lozenges in my mouth many times. The funny thing is that in the morning it hasn't completely dissolved. Probably not the safest thing as you mentioned, but maybe you could break the Halls into smaller pieces and smooth out the edges in your mouth before drifting off to sleep?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

hooah posted:

Codeine is a great cough suppressant if you have any tylenol #1-3 laying around.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ninjahedgehog posted:

spoonful/spoonsful: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spoonful (alternate pluralization).

See generally:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/79838/why-are-certain-single-word-compound-nouns-pluralized-in-the-middle
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/8450/words-that-are-pluralized-in-the-middle

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I hate winter. I have stupidly dry skin but it is the worst on my face. Especially my eyelids and lips. I can deal with constantly applying something to my lips (but will take recomendations) but what about for my eyelids? Most moisturizers seem to be out because I'm guessing they aren't good for around eyes (the dryness goes right into the lashline and corners).

I've tried Vaseline but the greasiness is annoying.

I look awful, help.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
I sometimes use coconut oil when I get really dry skin. A jar from the grocery store costs around $10-$12 though so maybe see if a friend has some to try first before buying? If feels less greasy than Vaseline but is still heavyish until it soaks in. Don't use a ton, a little goes a long way and too much can sit on your skin and go off. I use it in my hair occasionally as well, overnight then wash it out in the morning. Also it needs to be stored in a relatively cool place, if it's too hot it can separate and go runny.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've used lipsyl on my eyelids, though I didn't regularly use them on both. I find the waxyness helps with not losing too much moisture. Its kind of also just nice to apply it.
I use my regular face moisturizer when I go to bed, if I have really bad dry eyes. Anything unscented/gentle is usually ok. I only do it before sleeping otherwise I'd rub it in my eyeballs and that sucks a whole lot.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Attorneys General?

tuyop posted:

Vacuum seal it until the air *around* the bread is removed, but not until the bread is a pancake. Actually, you don't even have to vacuum seal it, just put it in a ziploc bag and suck the air out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

C-Euro posted:

British science goons- would you say that you pyrolyzed something, or pyrolysed it instead?

Aus earth-science goon here, I would definitely spell it pyrolysed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

photomikey posted:

Attorneys General?

Whoppers Junior.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

Codeine is a great cough suppressant if you have any tylenol #1-3 laying around.

Seconding this, I'll split a t3 in half (I have buckets of them because of a back injury) when I have a cough and it's way better and has fewer side effects for me than cold medicine.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Peristalsis posted:

Microwaveable thermos, tomato soup. Heat, shake, drink, delicious.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

Aus earth-science goon here, I would definitely spell it pyrolysed.

Yeah I meant Queen's English more generally. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

the popular kids posted:

I hate winter. I have stupidly dry skin but it is the worst on my face. Especially my eyelids and lips. I can deal with constantly applying something to my lips (but will take recomendations) but what about for my eyelids? Most moisturizers seem to be out because I'm guessing they aren't good for around eyes (the dryness goes right into the lashline and corners).
I started getting dry skin on my eyelids when I started wearing glasses, so I saw a doctor about it and he gave me a prescription for some stuff that cleared it up almost instantly. So I'd recommend going to a doctor rather than just trying stuff.