Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
uh they needed all the new girls to make the parade awesome, to beat the giant up, and to own the boys. and characters can be jerks, especially when they eat mud for it and get to learn and be less jerkish. it's why akko and diana rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

how dare a character develop

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The crunchyroll page for Schoolgirl Strikers should just redirect to the page for Symphogear, a good show. I watched the first two minutes of the former and was already bored.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 9, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

how dare a character develop

The problem is that Akko didn't develop into being a terrible person to start that way in LWA2, she just goes from confident and chipper with her friends at the end of LWA1 to being a cocky poo poo to them at the start of LWA2 with no obvious reason or development.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

The problem is that Akko didn't develop into being a terrible person to start that way in LWA2, she just goes from confident and chipper with her friends at the end of LWA1 to being a cocky poo poo to them at the start of LWA2 with no obvious reason or development.

To be fair didn't Harry Potter have something similar happen prior to the Goblet of Fire?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be fair didn't Harry Potter have something similar happen prior to the Goblet of Fire?

Not really, although puberty hits him like a ton of bricks in book 5

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah and her redemption feels really unearned.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I know Nanasaki's bro, but is there anyone else in Seiren related to the Amagamis?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

dogsicle posted:

longer than it needs to be, introduces a trio of new girls but they're just one-note jokes, akko spends most of the time being bratty and driving all her friends away

Constanze is the best one-note character. :colbert:

Also I can't believe we've already gotten two great shows and konosuba and maidragon aren't even out.

Kinda tempering any hopes for maidragon though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

sorry you hate things that are cute and good

i don't particularly care that they're one-note, but it's a criticism i saw leveled at the movie a lot.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Space Flower posted:

I know Nanasaki's bro, but is there anyone else in Seiren related to the Amagamis?

Not that I'm aware of. So far he's the only direct link to Amagami

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I watched the first episode of Schoolgirl Strikers and it's not great, but it's also not terrible, and it could potentially be pretty decent if it focuses more on the girls goofing around than punching monsters.

At least the first third of the ED is cute:
https://files.catbox.moe/9f2xa6.webm

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 9, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Good to hear that the new Blue Exorcist pretends the poo poo parts of the original doesn't exist. I'll probably watch that, because I really liked that parts that weren't poo poo.

Also I just caught up on rakugo and watched the first few minutes of the new season and can I just say that doing a rakugo segment to recap the previous season is brilliant? Because it is. e: The rest of it is really good too. Definitely a keeper.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 9, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Constanze is the best one-note character. :colbert:

Also I can't believe we've already gotten two great shows and konosuba and maidragon aren't even out.

Kinda tempering any hopes for maidragon though.

I look forward to people saying Demi-chan is the show KyoAni should have made if Maidragon turns out to be not good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Maid Dragon is already good so that doesn't make sense. How can KyoAni gently caress up a good thing when they have years and years of only improving on mediocre to decent LNs.

also, made a thread for Gabriel Dropout. It's out on crunchyroll.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Droyer posted:

Not that I'm aware of. So far he's the only direct link to Amagami

They attend the same school too, but character-wise that seems to be it so far.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

IIRC, the reasons to be cautious about Maid Dragon are:

1. It's very much something to fill a slot while they work on prep work for Violet Evergarden. This kinda suggests that later in the season especially, resources and staff might be cannibalised to work on that other project.

2. It's kinda an anomaly as a Kyoani production in recent years in that they are purely a contractor and don't own the IP itself. This means the show is inherently less financially valuable to Kyoani than most.

3. It's been done on fairly short notice compared to their other projects.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, but the source material is pretty good and cheap, low-rent kyoani is still kyoani. there's no real reason to worry about it being bad. it'll be a decent comedy that people will forget about by the end of the year.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I feel like MaiDragon's floor is probably around Amagi Brilliant Park's level, and I enjoyed that show a lot even if it wasn't up there with K-On or any of the big name KyoAni stuff.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I gotta say that I was afraid to give demi-chan a chance after the creepiness of the last "Monster Girls" show, but this one knocks it out of the park.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
were you actually worried it was going to be like monster musume lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

monmusu owns

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ugh, why'd they have to try to ride that cash cow...
(E: see the zoglin quote)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ugh, why'd they have to try to ride that cash cow...
(E: see the zoglin quote)

I cant think why they'd want to extend a successful franchise :iiam:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Gabriel Dropout's first episode is lots of fun. Lets see how long it can keep this up.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

The Colonel posted:

were you actually worried it was going to be like monster musume lol

I wouldn't use worry, but that's why it wasn't on my radar. I saw monster girls and went on the the next thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowwan posted:

I wouldn't use worry, but that's why it wasn't on my radar. I saw monster girls and went on the the next thing.

please don't judge something as being remotely similar to monster musume literally just because it has the word "monster girls" in the english title

i'm not sure there's any way demi-chan could be further from that

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

please don't judge something as being remotely similar to monster musume literally just because it has the word "monster girls" in the english title

Well it could be horror rather than comedy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Colonel posted:

It could involve boys for one

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

It could involve boys for one

monster musume has a guy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Namtab posted:

monster musume has a guy

Plural.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monster Boys.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can see it taking on elements of MonMusu's cheerful, off-the-wall romcom style (minus a few metric tonnes of raunch) if they decide to make a romance subplot between the two teachers a thing. Which I would not object to.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gosh I hope that romantic subplot doesn't happen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Hey, it's leagues better than any of the alternatives. If the series chooses to go romantic, that is.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fangz posted:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I can see it taking on elements of MonMusu's cheerful, off-the-wall romcom style (minus a few metric tonnes of raunch) if they decide to make a romance subplot between the two teachers a thing. Which I would not object to.

Monster Musume without the raunch? I wonder what that would look like...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, it's leagues better than any of the alternatives. If the series chooses to go romantic, that is.

"She gets over her anxiety around men and ends up with the male character" is literally the most tedious possible arc.

Vampire/Dullahan OTP.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Its possible for two things to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Fangz posted:

"She gets over her anxiety around men and ends up with the male character" is literally the most tedious possible arc.

Vampire/Dullahan OTP.

Not Vampire/Yukionna?

• Locked thread