Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I knock points down for any movie which kills off a character played by an actor from the good HBO shows. John Wick has Clarke Peters get shot in the face after 60 seconds screen-time, and I'll dare hope the sequel doesn't mess with Ian McShane or Lance Reddick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

John Wick has Clarke Peters get shot in the face after 60 seconds screen-time

This is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect movie.

The fan edit of the star wars prequels that cuts them down to about 2 movies worth total really help make them into better movies. Maybe not good, but definitely watchable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I knock points down for any movie which kills off a character played by an actor from the good HBO shows. John Wick has Clarke Peters get shot in the face after 60 seconds screen-time, and I'll dare hope the sequel doesn't mess with Ian McShane or Lance Reddick.

Contrariwise you have poor Alfie Allen, now a murderer of dogs.

In GoT he was nearly murdered by dogs but in either show you just kind of wanted to watch him die.

How must it suck to be That Guy that everyone wants to see dead, like edge of the seat style.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Terminator fact: Cameron's first choice for the role of the Terminator (or at least someone he strongly considered before Arnie was cast) was actually Lance Henrisken. That would have been interesting. I believe the idea was that the Terminator wouldn't stand out in a crowd, which is obviously more the direction he ended up going with T2.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun Terminator fact: Cameron's first choice for the role of the Terminator (or at least someone he strongly considered before Arnie was cast) was actually Lance Henrisken. That would have been interesting. I believe the idea was that the Terminator wouldn't stand out in a crowd, which is obviously more the direction he ended up going with T2.

I remember reading the anecdote about JC and Lance busting into an office and Lance was decked out in the leathers holding a prop gun.

So uh can we sell this concept?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

syscall girl posted:

In GoT he was nearly murdered by dogs but in either show you just kind of wanted to watch him die.

How must it suck to be That Guy that everyone wants to see dead, like edge of the seat style.

He was pretty great in Misfits.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I remember when From Dusk Til Dawn came out, we thought we were going to get Pulp Fiction with a side serve of El Mariachi. The vampires twist hit us so hard it gave some folks whiplash.

jazzyjay has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Jan 9, 2017

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Wheat Loaf posted:

OJ Simpson was also considered for the role, according to page 4 of the special edition DVD:

Terminator DVD posted:

The role of the Terminator was originally going to be portrayed by O. J. Simpson. But, according to (James) Cameron in 1984, "people wouldn't have believed a nice guy like O. J. playing the part of a ruthless killer."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There's a pretty long history of movie studios not understanding how to market their movies. Not saying thats what happened with FDTD, because nobody has been able to show otherwise, but it's not exactly unheard of.

Best example is with Princess Bride. (On my mind because I just finished reading Cary Elwes book) Rob Reiner made the movie and the studio had no loving clue how to market the movie and it wound up making GBS threads in the bed in the theatres. It didn't become popular until it was released on VHS.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My favourite thing about Terminator 2 is that Robert Patrick is more badass than Arnold Schwarzenegger. When Arnold/T800 fires his guns you see him flinch, his eyes close with every shot. Robert Patrick/T1000 fires his guns and keeps his eyes trained on the target, no flinching, no blinking. That's pretty cool. Robert Patrick is a better robot than the professional robot. :3:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Olaf The Stout posted:

Save me, Barry!

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

If only he got more screentime.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ubachung posted:

If only he got more screentime.

Barry had tons of screen time

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but I'm pretty sure he was played by David Mitchell.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

My favourite thing about Terminator 2 is that Robert Patrick is more badass than Arnold Schwarzenegger. When Arnold/T800 fires his guns you see him flinch, his eyes close with every shot. Robert Patrick/T1000 fires his guns and keeps his eyes trained on the target, no flinching, no blinking. That's pretty cool. Robert Patrick is a better robot than the professional robot. :3:

He's right up there with Keanu Reeves.
They both trained for hours and hours and hours to not flinch or blink when firing a gun even though they didn't have to. That sort of dedication shows.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I'd be okay if Wick2 brought him back and he just shrugs and says, "She missed." as explanation.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I know, right?

Now how can I have an IIMM about Val Kilmer in Heat?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

syscall girl posted:

Jack Gleeson plays Prince Joffrey on GoT and said people would yell abuse at him on the streets :smith:

I think he quit acting after finishing up on the show, though I don't know if it was because of the abuse or because he wanted to go study/do something else with his life while he was still young or a combination of all of them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Olaf The Stout posted:

Apart from not actually being in Misfits. That was the dick-chopper, not the dick-choppee.

And yeah, Jack Gleeson quit acting once he was done with GOT and went to university.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Jack Gleeson plays Prince Joffrey on GoT and said people would yell abuse at him on the streets :smith:

I think he quit acting after finishing up on the show, though I don't know if it was because of the abuse or because he wanted to go study/do something else with his life while he was still young or a combination of all of them.

Man, him and Jake Lloyd can form a support group.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

I know, right?

Now how can I have an IIMM about Val Kilmer in Heat?

What was wrong with Val Kilmer in Heat?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Jack Gleeson is a gods damned genius and I wish him well with his not doing acting anymore.

He's the entire reason I started watching the show and then reading the books.

That kid will cure cancer.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pr0zac posted:

I meant the other guy was having an IIMM about something they liked

Val Kilmer in Heat did some gun things that were pretty cool

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh poo poo, that was that guy! I somehow never knew. I loved Misfits and thought that guy looked really familiar.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

WampaLord posted:

One was too good at his job, the other was...Annie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I was spoiled on the twist but I still loved it. Also the movie is old enough that neither Underworld nor Twilight existed yet, so the idea of sexy vampires in skin-tight bodysuits or sparkly high-school angst golems wasn't something that had crossed anyone's mind yet.
Pretty sure that general idea predates all of those movie by a lot.

Len posted:

With Terminator 2 that may have been but I saw the second well before the first, and long after the marketing, and at no point did Arnold ever strike me as bad guy.
Yeah, people are saying that if you saw the first one and therefore know that Arnold is a killer robot you'll be surprised that he's a good guy.

pr0zac posted:

The fan edit of the star wars prequels that cuts them down to about 2 movies worth total really help make them into better movies. Maybe not good, but definitely watchable.
There are some good bits in those movies, but I'd be sceptical that you could save them since the core plots are so boring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pr0zac posted:

Well it's not "wrong" but apart from the absolutely extraordinary dinner scene, a lot of people claimed that Kilmer largely outacted DeNiro and Pacino in that film, the marketing of which was primarily based on,"See DeNiro and Pacino on-screen together at last!"

But then there is the dinner scene which is out of this world good to make sure the world is back on an even keel.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don't always mind bad marketing. It's refreshing to be pleasantly surprised by a movie instead of disappointed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Well it's not "wrong" but apart from the absolutely extraordinary dinner scene, a lot of people claimed that Kilmer largely outacted DeNiro and Pacino in that film, the marketing of which was primarily based on,"See DeNiro and Pacino on-screen together at last!"

But then there is the dinner scene which is out of this world good to make sure the world is back on an even keel.

Yeah I remember Heat as mostly the DeNiro and Pacino stuff which makes sense if you saw the Godfather movies and cared about them.

But the shootout scene where Kilmer does a perfect urban commando precision reload taking cover and keeping heads down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WampaLord posted:

Jake Lloyd is currently involved with lots of support groups. Dude has serious mental illness

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I wish no ill to Jake Lloyd, but it seems like it was way too much pressure and attention put on a kid that young for a movie that huge at the time, especially since it was destined to be a one-off performance. I still contend, though, that the entirety of Episode One could have just worked better as an "Episode Zero" project in some expanded universe video medium like cartoon miniseries, webisodes or DTV release prior to the release of an Episode 1 with more in common with Episode 2 than The Phantom Menace.

But I don't think 1999 had the market for such things, yet ironically the Clone Wars shows much later seemed to have no problem finding some positive fan reaction in filling in gaps in the universe between films.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

From the special edition DVD I remember that Terminator 2 had three stage marketing. First they revealed the Terminator was back, then some time later that there were two of them, and finally that the T-800 was the good guy. I can't remember if that was solely the marketing department's idea but I seem to recall Cameron had at least a hand in it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

I wish no ill to Jake Lloyd,

Me too

quote:

but it seems like it was way too much pressure and attention put on a kid that young for a movie that huge at the time, especially since it was destined to be a one-off performance. I still contend, though, that the entirety of Episode One could have just worked better as an "Episode Zero" project in some expanded universe video medium like cartoon miniseries, webisodes or DTV release prior to the release of an Episode 1 with more in common with Episode 2 than The Phantom Menace.

But I don't think 1999 had the market for such things, yet ironically the Clone Wars shows much later seemed to have no problem finding some positive fan reaction in filling in gaps in the universe between films.

I don't think George Lucas had plans on reliving his glory years making cartoons or EU poo poo though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jerusalem posted:

This kind of poo poo is very old, people are dumb as hell. Fred MacMurray said he got yelled at on the street after The Apartment came out and that was almost 60 years ago.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

syscall girl posted:

I don't think George Lucas had plans on reliving his glory years making cartoons or EU poo poo though.

I'm not saying using that to replace the movies, though, but rather take advantage of using expanded media in some more mainstream and visible way to fill in the story before and during the film series.

But in 1997-1999, I don't think there was any venue or audience there for something like that, yet. It didn't seem like until the Matrix video games and Animatrix where they were making such a big deal about all this extra media being the official extra history and continuity of the franchise when people started to see some more value in it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm not saying using that to replace the movies, though, but rather take advantage of using expanded media in some more mainstream and visible way to fill in the story before and during the film series.

But in 1997-1999, I don't think there was any venue or audience there for something like that, yet. It didn't seem like until the Matrix video games and Animatrix where they were making such a big deal about all this extra media being the official extra history and continuity of the franchise when people started to see some more value in it.

Oh man now I want to watch the Animatrix.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

syscall girl posted:

Oh man now I want to watch the Animatrix.

Better that than watching Matrix 2 & 3

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

starkebn posted:

Better that than watching Matrix 2 & 3

What are you even talking about. That rave scene was kicking rad!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Bates posted:

What are you even talking about. That rave scene was kicking rad!

#honry14yrolds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Talking about trailers spoiling the movie- How to Train your Dragon 2, unless the marketing was making fun of the Empire Strikes Back, it seems a stupid and wasteful decision to reveal something that didn't need to be revealed in the trailer.

Then again, the movie was pretty crappy compared to the first one, so spoiling act 2 may not have mattered much anyway.