Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

Correct. He got a ticket, I didn't. I'm getting a reduced rental rate through my insurance company, his should cover it. Pretty sure I'm on my own if it's not totaled and I have to come back out to get it. Which means it won't be totaled. My rental is a Dodge dart. Kill me now.

talk about twisting the knife

Hope things work out better than they seem right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
You can request a different car. They tried to put me in a Kia Soul when I was in my last rental.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Jesus dude that sucks. Saw on mk7 boards a red GTI sport I almost bought was totaled about 300 miles after the guy in town bought it. Be sure to go after diminished value if you can. A dude rear ended my almost new 4runner 2 years ago and I got hosed when I sold it to the dealer since it had an accident on its record. Couldn't be sold as a certified used car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

You can request a different car. They tried to put me in a Kia Soul when I was in my last rental.

There are no other cars. I'm probably lucky I got this one. I'm in Summit County, it's like a loving demolition derby up here right now. I'll drive this home and then figure out if his insurance will reimburse for a rental and if it will I'll get one. If not I still have my Golf that I haven't heard anything regarding the buyout in just shy of a month. It will probably take forever to fix too with how crazy just the past 2 days have been here. Hopefully they'll do a somewhat decent job. Not like I have a ton of options without getting the car towed to Denver.

Monkey Fracas posted:

talk about twisting the knife

Hope things work out better than they seem right now.

I get to drive it 700 miles tomorrow!

I also missed what was probably the best powder day I'd have seen up to this point in my relatively short snowboarding career. I probably would have broken a leg on the mountain or died in a tree well so this is better? It's going to suck a bit any way it goes though. I'm either out the money and time to fly back out here to get it or I'm out the wheels and brand loving new tires on them if it gets totaled.

Oddly enough, both accidents I've been in now were the exact same situation. Line of cars turning left blocking the view of another line of cars turning left until one of them decides to go in front of me. The guy said that a lady waved him through and he hosed up by trusting her. As soon as he cleared the line of cars it was too late for either of us to do anything.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Condolences for your GTI and the giant pain dealing with accidents/rentals/agents is. poo poo seriously sucks.

It turns out my weird alignment issue turned out to be completely trashed engine mounts on the right side. Mechanic was utterly stumped from the symptoms, but took a whole 5 minutes once he got his hands on it to find out the entire engine shifts about two inches to the right with any amount of power. Now the shop is bickering with the insurance over replacing those and I'm stuck driving with a feather foot. Fun.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Personally I'd have it towed back to Denver. Precision Auto in Aurora has done my last 4 repairs and they're always perfect.

I usually just pay my deductible and let my insurance go after the at fault party.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Personally I'd have it towed back to Denver. Precision Auto in Aurora has done my last 4 repairs and they're always perfect.

I usually just pay my deductible and let my insurance go after the at fault party.

I'm gonna talk to my insurance company to see if this is an option. It's already at the body shop though so I don't know how that will work. They're way backed up so I might be able to get it done.

Radiohead71 posted:

Jesus dude that sucks. Saw on mk7 boards a red GTI sport I almost bought was totaled about 300 miles after the guy in town bought it. Be sure to go after diminished value if you can. A dude rear ended my almost new 4runner 2 years ago and I got hosed when I sold it to the dealer since it had an accident on its record. Couldn't be sold as a certified used car.

Definitely gonna push the diminished value angle. I also need to decide if I want to buy out the lease now...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Definitely gonna push the diminished value angle. I also need to decide if I want to buy out the lease now...
I was gonna ask if you'd already done that. I don't really know how leases work with things like accidents while it's in your ownership, never really dealt with or read about that before.

Glad you're ok, but sucks about the whole thing. Good luck w/ insurance and repairs!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I'm gonna talk to my insurance company to see if this is an option. It's already at the body shop though so I don't know how that will work. They're way backed up so I might be able to get it done.

Theres not a chance in hell they will pay for a 700 mile tow. Maybe 100 miles of it, probably closer to 50.

You don't have a diminished value claim because it's a lease and you don't own the car, which is a requirement to present a DV claim. This is actually a good situation to be in a lease car. You walk away at the lease end and don't have to give two fucks about some dealer offering you 10k under trade in because of the accident.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The car looks driveable :shrug:

Probably didn't even trip the fuel cut-off.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
You guys need to pay for better insurance.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

The car looks driveable :shrug:

Probably didn't even trip the fuel cut-off.

It definitely wasn't driveable with airbags hanging everywhere. Pretty sure it tripped the fuel cut-off because the car was not running after the hit and I guarantee you I was on the clutch. It was movable though as I did get it as out of the way as I could. It didn't want to start right away like it usually does. Had to hold the start button down like an animal.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Theres not a chance in hell they will pay for a 700 mile tow. Maybe 100 miles of it, probably closer to 50.

You don't have a diminished value claim because it's a lease and you don't own the car, which is a requirement to present a DV claim. This is actually a good situation to be in a lease car. You walk away at the lease end and don't have to give two fucks about some dealer offering you 10k under trade in because of the accident.

Nah, I'm not expecting a tow back to KC. Maybe just Denver.

Would VW have a diminished value claim or does it just not work like that? Do I need to let VW Credit know the car was in a wreck? I have no idea how that poo poo works. This is only the second wreck I've ever been in.

It's amazing how quickly you get used to certain technologies on a vehicle. What's this poo poo where I have to take the key out of my pocket? Where's the loving USB port? The headlights don't turn with the car? :wtc:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

veedubfreak posted:

Those guys are legit.

edit: don't buy out of your lease, that plan never made a lick of sense in the first place.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those guys are legit.

edit: don't buy out of your lease, that plan never made a lick of sense in the first place.

I'll see if I can get the car there.

My buyout is around $700 less than the financing price they quoted me. That wouldn't have included taxes/title/interest either. I'd get a pretty hefty tax credit if I do it within 6 months as well. Doubtful I buy it out now though. Not a huge fan of new wrecked cars :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

It definitely wasn't driveable with airbags hanging everywhere. Pretty sure it tripped the fuel cut-off because the car was not running after the hit and I guarantee you I was on the clutch. It was movable though as I did get it as out of the way as I could. It didn't want to start right away like it usually does. Had to hold the start button down like an animal.

Nah, I'm not expecting a tow back to KC. Maybe just Denver.

Would VW have a diminished value claim or does it just not work like that? Do I need to let VW Credit know the car was in a wreck? I have no idea how that poo poo works. This is only the second wreck I've ever been in.

It's amazing how quickly you get used to certain technologies on a vehicle. What's this poo poo where I have to take the key out of my pocket? Where's the loving USB port? The headlights don't turn with the car? :wtc:

VW could in theory file a DV claim, but they won't, it never happens. You aren't under an obligation to report the accident to them, unless you have bizarro lease terms.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

You guys need to pay for better insurance.

This is pretty standard stuff in the US. No carrier would cover that tow unless it was a requirement to facilitate the repair, think an exotic that needed dealer specific coding or otherwise things a body shop couldn't do.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I probably would have fired up the TDI today, but since I had to drive it I discovered a tow sticker on it since I hadn't driven it in over a week. So silver linings and all?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Kind of a weird question, but how long should the battery in the key fob last? I started getting a "Replace Key Battery Soon" warning light on my dash this weekend. I got the car new in May '16 and it's got about 8800 miles on it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Kind of a weird question, but how long should the battery in the key fob last? I started getting a "Replace Key Battery Soon" warning light on my dash this weekend. I got the car new in May '16 and it's got about 8800 miles on it.

Keyless entry? I can't say I've ever had to replace a battery.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, sorry, it's got keyless entry and keyless ignition. I've heard some cars charge the fob batteries when the key is inserted but this one just stays in my pocket. It's going in for an oil service this weekend, I'll have them address this too.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The factory battery only lasted me about 9 months in my fiesta, but the replacement is going on 2.5 years now.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

I've only had two cars with battery remotes so my information is slightly limited but in my Infiniti I had to replace the batteries yearly and in my Honda fit the batteries have lasted like 6 years, don't think we've ever changed them. So my best guess would be that it varies a lot depending on the particular brand and functionality of the key. Half a year seems short to me still, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Initial damage estimate is $6300 and change. A bit less than I was expecting to be honest. Didn't get a timeline, but I'll be talking to my insurance lady in the next day or two about a rental so I'll ask then. She still hadn't heard from the other dudes insurance yet.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Depends on the quality of the replacement battery too - the factory battery lasted almost nine years in my mothers Suzuki Swift but the Jaycar replacement lasted barely six months. Also saw similarly poor performance from cheap replacements in my Mazda 3 and fathers Legacy.

e. Anyway I'd drop by the dealer and ask them to sort it - it's a new car after all

dissss fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 9, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
And we're now up to $11,729 on the damage estimate. I'm pretty sure it's going to be at least a $1500 more than that as both headlights are broken and they have replacements priced at $300 a piece when the lowest I've seen them is about $1k a piece. They do order off the VIN so they should get the right lights. Hood's folded and has to be replaced, radiator support has to be replaced, both seatbelts blew, both drivers side airbags, etc...

They still haven't measured to see if the frame is bent.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

And we're now up to $11,729 on the damage estimate. I'm pretty sure it's going to be at least a $1500 more than that as both headlights are broken and they have replacements priced at $300 a piece when the lowest I've seen them is about $1k a piece. They do order off the VIN so they should get the right lights. Hood's folded and has to be replaced, radiator support has to be replaced, both seatbelts blew, both drivers side airbags, etc...

They still haven't measured to see if the frame is bent.

The airbags and headlights are the big costs there. My hit was 90% sheet metal replacement and paint. They had to replace 1 wheel and the front suspension, but they basically had to replace the entire shell from in front of the A pillar to just in front of the C pillar.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I'm chasing a gremlin in my 09 GTI. Car pulls gently right under mildly moderate acceleration and then when you let up (or sometimes at the DSG gear change) it jerks back to the left. It's like awful torque steer with a kick back. Originally diagnosed by a shop as motor mounts. They were bad, but now all 3 are replaced and... car is still swerving.

This all started after a shop fixed my gti after the driver's front fender and wheel were nailed by a suburban. They replaced control arm and related bits. I'm going to make them fix it... But they seem unable to figure out what it is, so I'm taking it to the local German tuners this week. In themeantime... Any clues? This is getting out of hand and all I'm left with guessing is bad tie rods...?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

PabloBOOM posted:

I'm chasing a gremlin in my 09 GTI. Car pulls gently right under mildly moderate acceleration and then when you let up (or sometimes at the DSG gear change) it jerks back to the left. It's like awful torque steer with a kick back. Originally diagnosed by a shop as motor mounts. They were bad, but now all 3 are replaced and... car is still swerving.

This all started after a shop fixed my gti after the driver's front fender and wheel were nailed by a suburban. They replaced control arm and related bits. I'm going to make them fix it... But they seem unable to figure out what it is, so I'm taking it to the local German tuners this week. In themeantime... Any clues? This is getting out of hand and all I'm left with guessing is bad tie rods...?

Really lovely alignment?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How do you decide on intake and exhaust? I've got the mod bug for my Focus RS, but this poo poo is hella confusing.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

PaintVagrant posted:

Really lovely alignment?

That was my original optimistic hope when we discovered the bad enginemounts. Still spot on sadly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KidDynamite posted:

How do you decide on intake and exhaust? I've got the mod bug for my Focus RS, but this poo poo is hella confusing.

Peer reviews. Listen to what other RS owners have to say and go with the majority.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Peer reviews. Listen to what other RS owners have to say and go with the majority.

This makes the most amount of sense and tells me just to wait a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KidDynamite posted:

This makes the most amount of sense and tells me just to wait a while.

Sometimes it backfires. With the MS6 there was a company making cheap, lovely copies of proven parts and people were flocking to them. The a large number of buys had part failures but the majority still stuck by them out of blind loyalty and the refusal to admit they'd put $2K in garbage parts on their cars.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

PabloBOOM posted:

My 2007 had similar symptoms and I didn't diagnose it as bad struts until after my replacement axle shaft popped off a few clamps. So when was the last time you did struts?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

KidDynamite posted:

Does Cobb have an AP ready to go for it yet?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PabloBOOM posted:

Check the bolts that attach your control arm to the subframe. I had a similar issue on my C70 where under braking the car would pull to the left slightly, but only if you were holding onto the wheel. Braking with hands off the wheel just made the (slightly off-center) wheel straighten out and the car would continue straight as an arrow. Turned out 2 of the bolts on the LCA had worked themselves loose over a couple of months. I tightened them up and the crooked wheel/braking pull disappeared.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yes they do.

edit: http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/ford-focus-rs-accessport-v3

edit2: I love that Cobb charges more for the RS since, hey, RS cost more! I dunno, given the AWD system and the active dampers I suppose there's a bit more to it than that.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The AP for the MS3/6 is the same price.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hi Thread,

over joyed that you exist. How do you feel about buying used hot hatches? I know I may, like any car, have put a bit into it once I buy it but are the habits of first owners to well known(harsh) that I should avoid such options?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yea they have AP and a lot of tune shops use their AP.

fyodor posted:

edit2: I love that Cobb charges more for the RS since, hey, RS cost more! I dunno, given the AWD system and the active dampers I suppose there's a bit more to it than that.

Yeah look at the Porsche and GTR AP prices. It's a bit ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KidDynamite posted:

Yea they have AP and a lot of tune shops use their AP.

Yeah look at the Porsche and GTR AP prices. It's a bit ridiculous.

Let me know what you end up going with. My Focus RS has been ordered and the order has been accepted but I have no ETA on when I'm going to get it. I've been keeping an eye on Mountune and what they are doing because they seem like the only tuner that's going to get Ford's seal of approval for warranty friendly mods. I've heard nothing since the initial announcement back in October of an official Ford Performance upgrade kit (which is being developed by Mountune), supposedly they are waiting on CARB bullshit before it can be made 50 state legal.