Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Krazyface posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude is like one of the best and oldest podcasts out there. There's a thread in RGD with loads of clips in the OP.
Also You Must Remember This, a Hollywood history podcast.

UYD will always be my go to podcast. At this point Seth and Jonathan are my longest relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Samuel Clemens posted:

They Shoot Zombies films on Youtube, entries 101-200.

On a sidenote, the list's rankings make no sense to me. Event Horizon and Zombieland above The Night of the Hunter? The Devil's Rejects and Planet Terror among the 200 greatest horror films ever made?

The gaps in my list are so few and far between that it's nice to start picking some off. That said, Eyes Without a Face immediately jumps into my personal top 50 horror. That mask should be more iconic and the fact they pulled off a face flaying in 1960 is incredible.

The Innocents is a snooze.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

weekly font posted:

That mask should be more iconic and the fact they pulled off a face flaying in 1960 is incredible.

John Carpenter said that Eyes Without A Face was the big influence on Mike Myer's mask.

Also, go ahead and watch Face/Off again, I'm sure you'll see a couple of Eyes Without A Face's things in Face/Off. Particularly the face removal and doves in the finale.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I ran out of Smugfilm and Frost/Christman. Are there any other good podcasts that ARE NOT bad movie comedy casts?

I like Alcohollywood and Nameless Cults, both are goon-run film podcasts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

John Carpenter said that Eyes Without A Face was the big influence on Mike Myer's mask.

Also, go ahead and watch Face/Off again, I'm sure you'll see a couple of Eyes Without A Face's things in Face/Off. Particularly the face removal and doves in the finale.

Doves in a finale really just means a film was directed by John Woo.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I think doves is more a John Woo thing than a EWaF thing. Dude loving loves doves.

efb

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

I think doves is more a John Woo thing than a EWaF thing. Dude loving loves doves.

Skwirl posted:

Doves in a finale really just means a film was directed by John Woo.

True, but John Woo is also on record as loving Eyes Without a Face so that's probably where he got it from.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Armond White. He's an insincere contrarian. Hate that poo poo.

This spurred me to read a few Armond White reviews and I kind of love them. Granted his reviews all seem to be analyzing movies through a political framework I whole heartedly disagree with, but his reads are entertaining, in the way any well thought out but still kind of reach-y film reading can be.

Plus I find the way he tosses out a half dozen hot takes totally unrelated to the movie at hand over the course of any given review endlessly enjoyable. (Although I totally understand why someone would find that annoying)

A leftist version of Armond White would probably be my ideal film critic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

True, but John Woo is also on record as loving Eyes Without a Face so that's probably where he got it from.

I didn't know for certain, but it seemed so obvious with the doves flying behind the protagonist and the surgery in Face/Off, it just seemed too close to not be coincidence.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

broken sm57 posted:

This spurred me to read a few Armond White reviews and I kind of love them. Granted his reviews all seem to be analyzing movies through a political framework I whole heartedly disagree with, but his reads are entertaining, in the way any well thought out but still kind of reach-y film reading can be.

Plus I find the way he tosses out a half dozen hot takes totally unrelated to the movie at hand over the course of any given review endlessly enjoyable. (Although I totally understand why someone would find that annoying)

A leftist version of Armond White would probably be my ideal film critic.

So SMG

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For the longest time I thought White was a leftist. His contempt for "liberals" can go either way a lot of the time, especially when paired with his apparent contempt for capitalism, which I guess is limited to Hollywood because it's run by liberals? Again, very close to a cultural materialist critique.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Armond White posted:

"We stand for active ideological struggle because it is the weapon for ensuring unity within the Party and the revolutionary organizations in the interest of our fight. Every Communist and revolutionary should take up this weapon.

But liberalism rejects ideological struggle and stands for unprincipled peace, thus giving rise to a decadent, Philistine attitude and bringing about political degeneration in certain units and individuals in the Party and the revolutionary organizations.

Liberalism manifests itself in various ways.

To let things slide for the sake of peace and friendship when a person has clearly gone wrong, and refrain from principled argument because he is an old acquaintance, a fellow townsman, a schoolmate, a close friend, a loved one, an old colleague or old subordinate. Or to touch on the matter lightly instead of going into it thoroughly, so as to keep on good terms. The result is that both the organization and the individual are harmed. This is one type of liberalism.

To indulge in irresponsible criticism in private instead of actively putting forward one's suggestions to the organization. To say nothing to people to their faces but to gossip behind their backs, or to say nothing at a meeting but to gossip afterwards. To show no regard at all for the principles of collective life but to follow one's own inclination. This is a second type.

To let things drift if they do not affect one personally; to say as little as possible while knowing perfectly well what is wrong, to be worldly wise and play safe and seek only to avoid blame. This is a third type.

Not to obey orders but to give pride of place to one's own opinions. To demand special consideration from the organization but to reject its discipline. This is a fourth type.

To indulge in personal attacks, pick quarrels, vent personal spite or seek revenge instead of entering into an argument and struggling against incorrect views for the sake of unity or progress or getting the work done properly. This is a fifth type.

To hear incorrect views without rebutting them and even to hear counter-revolutionary remarks without reporting them, but instead to take them calmly as if nothing had happened. This is a sixth type.

To be among the masses and fail to conduct propaganda and agitation or speak at meetings or conduct investigations and inquiries among them, and instead to be indifferent to them and show no concern for their well-being, forgetting that one is a Communist and behaving as if one were an ordinary non-Communist. This is a seventh type.

To see someone harming the interests of the masses and yet not feel indignant, or dissuade or stop him or reason with him, but to allow him to continue. This is an eighth type.

To work half-heartedly without a definite plan or direction; to work perfunctorily and muddle along--"So long as one remains a monk, one goes on tolling the bell." This is a ninth type.

To regard oneself as having rendered great service to the revolution, to pride oneself on being a veteran, to disdain minor assignments while being quite unequal to major tasks, to be slipshod in work and slack in study. This is a tenth type.

To be aware of one's own mistakes and yet make no attempt to correct them, taking a liberal attitude towards oneself. This is an eleventh type.

We could name more. But these eleven are the principal types.

They are all manifestations of liberalism.

Liberalism is extremely harmful in a revolutionary collective. It is a corrosive which eats away unity, undermines cohesion, causes apathy and creates dissension. It robs the revolutionary ranks of compact organization and strict discipline, prevents policies from being carried through and alienates the Party organizations from the masses which the Party leads. It is an extremely bad tendency.

Liberalism stems from petty-bourgeois selfishness, it places personal interests first and the interests of the revolution second, and this gives rise to ideological, political and organizational liberalism.

People who are liberals look upon the principles of Marxism as abstract dogma. They approve of Marxism, but are not prepared to practice it or to practice it in full; they are not prepared to replace their liberalism by Marxism. These people have their Marxism, but they have their liberalism as well--they talk Marxism but practice liberalism; they apply Marxism to others but liberalism to themselves. They keep both kinds of goods in stock and find a use for each. This is how the minds of certain people work.

Liberalism is a manifestation of opportunism and conflicts fundamentally with Marxism. It is negative and objectively has the effect of helping the enemy; that is why the enemy welcomes its preservation in our midst. Such being its nature, there should be no place for it in the ranks of the revolution.

We must use Marxism, which is positive in spirit, to overcome liberalism, which is negative. A Communist should have largeness of mind and he should be staunch and active, looking upon the interests of the revolution as his very life and subordinating his personal interests to those of the revolution; always and everywhere he should adhere to principle and wage a tireless struggle against all incorrect ideas and actions, so as to consolidate the collective life of the Party and strengthen the ties between the Party and the masses; he should be more concerned about the Party and the masses than about any private person, and more concerned about others than about himself. Only thus can he be considered a Communist.

All loyal, honest, active and upright Communists must unite to oppose the liberal tendencies shown by certain people among us, and set them on the right path. This is one of the tasks on our ideological front."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm surprised penismightier didn't come to post for the first time in forever after you guys said Shane at least three times.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Todays deep observation: Lots of dick focus shots in Sicario, because of the patriarchy. Someone also shoots off Emily Blunt's dick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hence my dislike for both.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Hence my dislike for both.

Armond White doesn't write nearly enough about Sonic, tbh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Subbed to Full Moon streaming. First up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5buqVnYiswA

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

im gonna check them out once my first month at exploitation.tv (which is the vinegar syndrome folks) runs out i think

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

Todays deep observation: Lots of dick focus shots in Sicario, because of the patriarchy. Someone also shoots off Emily Blunt's dick.

Lay back, baby.

broken sm57 posted:

The thing I like about him is that he knows how to shout out a movie when he's throwing shade. The leftist Armond White, if you don't consider him a leftist, is Eileen Jones, and she's not near as good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

im gonna check them out once my first month at exploitation.tv (which is the vinegar syndrome folks) runs out i think

if you do, be sure to watch trancers. you know, assuming you haven't already seen the masterpiece that is trancers

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
New favorite word today: cthonic. Eagerly waiting for my first chance to misuse it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

New favorite word today: cthonic. Eagerly waiting for my first chance to misuse it.

"Cthonic The Ctheghog doesth not gently caress. EVER."

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
goddammit, that was too good and now I can't use it :(

I've been cthucked

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 10, 2017

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing I like about him is that he knows how to shout out a movie when he's throwing shade. The leftist Armond White, if you don't consider him a leftist, is Eileen Jones, and she's not near as good.

I took him for a classic, pro-bootstrapping conservative, upset by the loss of "work ethic" in the working class, but maybe I didn't read enough reviews

I could definitely imagine him doing a "- Wayne Gretzky - Michael Scott" style quote attribution in the middle of a review just to make people mad

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's my birthday
Attn therattle

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Given the "fifth kind of liberalism" but in the quoted essay, it's odd that White so often goes into "the reason people don't see this the way I do is because they're brain-damaged/corrupted/etc." There's a heavy "why don't you idiots GET IT?!" Vibe to so much of his stuff (and this is even before he became known as a contrarian. In some old issue of Film Comment he was on some rant blaming the Rodney King verdict on the same visual illiteracy that made people think The Color Purple was a good movie... Or something.)

If the purpose of writing is to communicate ideas he's not very good at it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

That's my favorite album by Abdul "Dr. Dre" Alhazred.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

White's biggest strength is that he can write some decent zingers. Fortunately for him, that's about 80% of what you need to be a film critic.

weekly font posted:

The Innocents is a snooze.

How do you feel about The Haunting?

Skwirl posted:

It's my birthday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FauoKcYOLK4

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jimmy Fallon just seems like everything anyone has ever hated about SNL made into one person and given a talk show.

Also, to respond to the earlier question about what impact his Trump thing really had, I will agree that a tonight the criticism dies give him far too much credit. I don't think anyone was convinced to vote for Trump by him being on that show and being chummy with Fallon. Hell, I don't think it even made anyone like him more. Really the only thing that came out if it was a discussion on the fact that it had happened and how bad it was with little actual concern for it's impact and no one in either side praising it. Even so, the while thing just acts to show Fallon as a guy who does not seem to have any opinion about anything or any need but to be a vessel for whomever he books on his show to use without question.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

It's my birthday
Attn therattle

Jesus you are clashing so hard.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CPL593H posted:

Yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrEAWcAvRg

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Samuel Clemens posted:

How do you feel about The Haunting?

I absolutely adore it, which is part of why I was so disappointed in Innocents - they definitely share some DNA. The Haunting does one of the best jobs in history of slow burning, marinating in subtlety until a fairly relentless final act. The Innocents tries to have it both ways but can't maintain its tone once its reveals the plot is overtly supernatural. The rest of the film is a variation on one or two scenes until a limp ending. There's almost nothing memorable about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

This post made me queue up London Calling on youtube.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

You're an embarrassing doorman and garbage man. gently caress you. Kiss my rear end.

-Mao Zedong

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Relevant to recent discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37BSMRA7-o

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's funny when Rob Mcelhenney does black face. It's not funny when Fallon does black face:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CelticPredator posted:

It's funny when Rob Mcelhenney does black face. It's not funny when Fallon does black face:

Because Mcelhenney does it to criticize white ignorance and Fallon does it to be endearing.

To expound: McElhenney plays a lovely human being who thinks it's ok to wear blackface. Fallon is a lovely human being who thinks it's ok to wear blackface.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 10, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

'Zacly.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Budgie Jumping posted:

To expound: McElhenney plays a lovely human being who thinks it's ok to wear blackface. Fallon is a lovely human being who thinks it's ok to wear blackface.

James Earl Jones does a good blackface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

James Earl Jones does a good blackface.

James Earl Jones is a black man!

• Locked thread