Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The best part of this episode was the dirty look that babby Pan shoots Barry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Kithkar posted:

I wish I could say for certain that an episode that heavily featured Gohan dodging something was just a coincidence but I literally can't tell how far deep the DBS creators are in anymore.

Also Videl is the best fight wife.

Then Krillin got owned. We are through the looking glass now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I did wonder I'd Goku's 'literally retarded' characterisation in Super so far was a little informed by TFS. Goku and Zamasu's 'Kaioken!' 'What?' exchange too.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They've definitely seen it. Does TFS have a Nico Nico Douga account or is someone uploading their things there? Legit curious if they saw it that way or if they went on YouTube.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

multijoe posted:

I did wonder I'd Goku's 'literally retarded' characterisation in Super so far was a little informed by TFS.

yeah clearly Goku's characterization is based on this niche abridged series and not the way he's always been

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

multijoe posted:

I did wonder I'd Goku's 'literally retarded' characterisation in Super so far was a little informed by TFS. Goku and Zamasu's 'Kaioken!' 'What?' exchange too.

It's just flanderisation.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Raxivace posted:

The best part of this episode was the dirty look that babby Pan shoots Barry.

I can't wait for Pan to grow up and become the Great Saiyaman V3.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pan is going to be the biggest disappointment of all time given her parentage. You guys seriously need to stop raising your expectations, it'll all end in tears.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sassassin posted:

Pan is going to be the biggest disappointment of all time given her parentage. You guys seriously need to stop raising your expectations, it'll all end in tears.

People are probably just projecting what they saw in Pan in GT.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The dude has always been this dumb Z just didn't have him in enough non fighting situations to notice.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

CharlestheHammer posted:

The dude has always been this dumb Z just didn't have him in enough non fighting situations to notice.

I also think a lot of people first experienced English-language superhero Goku and are only now seeing moronic bumpkin Japanese granny Goku for any length of time now.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

I also think a lot of people first experienced English-language superhero Goku and are only now seeing moronic bumpkin Japanese granny Goku for any length of time now.

Speaking of which is Chi-chi calling him goku-sa a bumpkin affectation?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The thing is, in DBZ, Goku is actually not present or functionally indisposed for huuuge chunks of time and when he does show up he mostly gets straight down to brass tacks of punching the bad guy who will kill everything if Goku doesn't stop him right then and there.

So honestly, if you only watched/read from Raditz onwards you're almost never seeing Goku with a chance to just hang out and be a space grandpa hick.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

AtheistMantis posted:

Then Krillin got owned. We are through the looking glass now.

Krillin getting owned was a staple of the series long before TFS came along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artum posted:

Speaking of which is Chi-chi calling him goku-sa a bumpkin affectation?

Yeah, it's kinda supposed to be an accent thing. Ox King also calls him Goku-Sa. Chi-Chi's speech patterns are kind of odd in the Japanese version which really doesn't carry over to the dub.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Probably the one time in DBZ that you actually see Goku be a dumb muscly dude is when he's headed to Namek on the Capsule Corp ship. He overeats, breaks everything and has to be handheld through repairing the ship. I mean, what do you expect from someone who lost his memory at a young age, was raised out in the woods by a hermit, and said hermit dies pretty young into his life?

Still, I'm annoyed how naggy Chi-Chi is considering Goku has saved the earth and universe multiple times, and she's still not satisfied with his job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Probably the one time in DBZ that you actually see Goku be a dumb muscly dude is when he's headed to Namek on the Capsule Corp ship. He overeats, breaks everything and has to be handheld through repairing the ship. I mean, what do you expect from someone who lost his memory at a young age, was raised out in the woods by a hermit, and said hermit dies pretty young into his life?

Still, I'm annoyed how naggy Chi-Chi is considering Goku has saved the earth and universe multiple times, and she's still not satisfied with his job.

I'm pretty sure she'd be more satisfied with his job if saving the world included a steady paycheck.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Before this episode I had never noticed that the Great Saiyaman costume is just Saiyan armor with the green tunic replacing the chestpiece. The boots, gloves, and bodysuit are all standard issue Vegeta.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is there a joke about the director I am missing?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

notaspy posted:

Is there a joke about the director I am missing?

He looks kind of like Steven Spielberg

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

seiferguy posted:

Satan saved the world from Cell and he managed to provide for his family.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Good Parents That Provide For Their Families: Mr. Satan, Gohan, Krillin, Android 18, Bulma, King Cold, Android 17, Bora, Ox King, Gine

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He also didn't waste 4 hours (time is money) with powering up and screaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EGqWmYeve4

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Good Parents That Provide For Their Families: Mr. Satan, Gohan, Krillin, Android 18, Bulma, King Cold, Android 17, Bora, Ox King, Gine

Even Vegeta took Trunks to an amusement park once!

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

multijoe posted:

I did wonder I'd Goku's 'literally retarded' characterisation in Super so far was a little informed by TFS.

Goku has always been an idiot.
He was an idiot in Dragonball and he was an idiot in the manga and he frequently is an idiot in plenty of the movies.
I'm not sure why people would attribute that to Team Four Star when it's right there in the source material.

Was he really that much of a generic normal hero guy in the english release of Dragonball Z that people didn't have a chance to pick up on that?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Yeah, he's always been dumb, but in Super he's a father of two who somehow doesn't know what kissing is. According to the spoilers, he might not even know what pregnant women look like.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Zwiebel posted:

Was he really that much of a generic normal hero guy in the english release of Dragonball Z that people didn't have a chance to pick up on that?

It was always clear he was kind of an idiot, we just didn't get the chance to see very much of his everyday life that it wasn't apparent how stupid he is.

edit: Though the kissing thing is just too out there for me to really enjoy. That's alien in a way that doesn't really jive well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Bardock slaved over a hot genocide every day to provide for that ungrateful and useless poo poo Raditz.

HitTheTargets posted:

According to the spoilers, he might not even know what pregnant women look like.
It would fit the running theme if Goku was away for all nine months before Gohan was born.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
But who is the worst father in Dragonball? King Vegita gave his son to Freeza, Bardock raised Radditz, Dr Gero makes his robot children into slave killing machines, and both Cell and King Piccolo used their children as meat shields.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

It was always clear he was kind of an idiot, we just didn't get the chance to see very much of his everyday life that it wasn't apparent how stupid he is.

edit: Though the kissing thing is just too out there for me to really enjoy. That's alien in a way that doesn't really jive well.

yea that was like regressing his character back to early dragon ball. they go a little too far with the "goku's an idiot" jokes in super sometimes

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rutibex posted:

But who is the worst father in Dragonball? King Vegita gave his son to Freeza, Bardock raised Radditz, Dr Gero makes his robot children into slave killing machines, and both Cell and King Piccolo used their children as meat shields.

Buu has yet to contact the mother of his reborn father-self-son-brother.

Bibidi? Good dad. Go figure, right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HitTheTargets posted:

Buu has yet to contact the mother of his reborn father-self-son-brother.

Bibidi? Good dad. Go figure, right?

Garlic Sr. is the only dad in the series to make sure his son was brought up right; when you have the Dragon Balls just wish for immortality immediately.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven't seen Super but it always seemed to be that Goku was more sheltered and innocent than outright stupid (although he's never exactly been a genius), which is why things like counting his age and telling what girls are without sexual harassment are difficult concepts but he could figure out how to no-sell the Solar Flare. It always felt like it made more sense than Naruto being flat-out stupid but secretly a battle genius or whatever.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Last Celebration posted:

I haven't seen Super but it always seemed to be that Goku was more sheltered and innocent than outright stupid (although he's never exactly been a genius), which is why things like counting his age and telling what girls are without sexual harassment are difficult concepts but he could figure out how to no-sell the Solar Flare. It always felt like it made more sense than Naruto being flat-out stupid but secretly a battle genius or whatever.

In Super he admitted to Vegeta that he never kissed his wife.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

The joke with Goku is that he is actually really dumb but also a battle genius who can figure out stuff instinctively. (Which is part of what pisses Vegeta off about him.) Yes, it doesn't make sense from a realistic perspective but Dragonball has its roots in comedy and that will always color it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder how much of that is due to banging his head as a kid.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ImpAtom posted:

The joke with Goku is that he is actually really dumb but also a battle genius who can figure out stuff instinctively. (Which is part of what pisses Vegeta off about him.) Yes, it doesn't make sense from a realistic perspective but Dragonball has its roots in comedy and that will always color it.

Remember Ben Carson from the GOP primaries? You know how he was a brilliant neurosurgeon but dumb as a post when it came to pretty much anything outside of his field?

Goku is the Ben Carson of martial arts.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Well Manicured Man posted:

Remember Ben Carson from the GOP primaries? You know how he was a brilliant neurosurgeon but dumb as a post when it came to pretty much anything outside of his field?

Goku is the Ben Carson of martial arts.

But I presume that at some point, Ben Carson had actually kissed someone, between neurosurgery and napping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
goku smokes cigarettes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMY9s22qP4&t=325s

• Locked thread